When To Wai?

schmokinn

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.......

Don't know much about history do you? Or your Creator.

Is this where you tell Luke you're his father? :o

cv

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.......

Don't know much about history do you? Or your Creator.

Yeah... and it took then another 100 years to abolish slavery...

Muppet!

The term was status superior......unless you are the highest ranking monarch in the world or God then there will always be someone superior to you in status....Being respectful and polite is not kissing ass, it is showing cultural understanding and tolerence, Something you seem to lack judging by your post.

I disagree strongly with the first part of your statement. Nobody, but nobody, is superior to anybody else. Only in the 'mind' of the person 'feeling' superior, or inferior. You may be a better mechanic than I, but I may be a better artist than you. Einstein was a better mathematician than both of us, but I am sure I am, and probably you are, better at some things than Einstein was...

On being respectful... I will respect anybody who respects me with the 'same' respect. Otherwise, they can kiss my chocolate starfish.

Again I point out the term was Status superior.....not superior as a person but superior in the position they hold in the community or the world.....

Do you really think that your social status is equal to the monarchs of the world, The political leaders etc.... You maybe equal to them as a person but in Social standing I dont think so.

The Thais show respect to people who mostly deserve respect, the king, the monks, the teachers, the elderly etc....

They do show it to some people who dont deserve it such as a telecommunications mogul, but no system is perfect. :o

BTW, regards your last point........If you are waiting to be shown respect without first showing some respect, you could be waiting for a long time. Arrogance is an attitude that is not appreciated in most places.

As for Christianity when it comes to human affairs and relations, slavery is one of the back bones of the spine of Christianity and its principles: "All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered. ( 1 Timothy 6:1)"

Exodus 21:20-21 "If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property."

I could go on by Wai?

OK, back to the topic: When To Wai?, confused

I wai all the time and to everybody, making all the mistakes possible.

Still, I know the Thais do appreciate it and your mistakes are forgiven as

"a farang will never be able to do it right."

You obviously equate initiating a "wai" with kissing ass, or putting yourself in a submissive position, which couldn't be farther from the truth.  You have a lot to learn about Thailand.

I do not equate initiating a 'wai' with kissing ass, I understand it is a sign of respect and politeness. What I am saying is, if I were to 'wai' somebody in Thailand and that person in high authority, did not return the wai because of some form of snobbery, I would not wai him/her ever again.

Monks do not have to return wai's because when you wai to them you are showing respect to what they represent not to the person.

Some older people will not return a wai, especially to someone who is a good deal younger,

Would you expect the king to return your wai ???

These people do not return return wai's out of snobbery but because of tradition.

My ex's parents never returned a wai to me, I didnt see anything wrong in that, I was staying in their house, sleeping with their daughter. They dont normally wai inside the family/social group unless in return for a present or a big favour.

Ignore those saying it will be regarded as a nice try to comply with their culture. A nonsense.

You can only look stupid. Everydays Thais have no idea of any culture, have no idea of the world around, ignorance all along.

You are the ignorant clod, sputtering such bigoted crap. :o

Second the motion. One wonders what he hangs about a Thai site for. :D

I do not equate initiating a 'wai' with kissing ass, I understand it is a sign of respect and politeness. What I am saying is, if I were to 'wai' somebody in Thailand and that person in high authority, did not return the wai because of some form of snobbery, I would not wai him/her ever again.

Monks do not have to return wai's because when you wai to them you are showing respect to what they represent not to the person.

Some older people will not return a wai, especially to someone who is a good deal younger,

These people do not return return wai's out of snobbery but because of tradition.

My ex's parents never returned a wai to me, I didnt see anything wrong in that, I was staying in their house, sleeping with their daughter. They dont normally wai inside the family/social group unless in return for a present or a big favour.

Read my lips, "... did not return the wai because of some form of snobbery," and I understand from my wife (Thai) that this sometimes happens.

Monks, priests, vicars and clergy, I tend to ignore as I have no respect for any form of organised religion. I respect the words attributed to Jesus and the Buddha along with many other great thinkers. Sorry if that upsets you.

I also understand the fact that older people will not always return a wai, I don't know about the King, but I would expect some sign of respect if I ever met him personally.

One does not wai the immediate Royal family. That is a bow or curtsy situation. Protocol Officer / ThaiVisa :o

I was told: "Don't bother trying to get the hang of this wai stuff, as it's a bit on the complicated/subtle side. If a Thai wais then wai back, but don't initiate the exchange.".

Whoever told you that must lead a very simple life. Its hardly complicated, and if it seems so, they must have a heck of a time figuring out truely complicated things... like using the phone, etc...

Face it, some people just can't be bothered, and it would serve them better to be honest about that than to make up lame excuses. Why in Thailand would someone not learn to wai because it's "too complicated", yet they expect Thais to understand our mannerisms? :o

cv

I wai the mamasong down at the local watering hole. Not because she is in a higher class or older but because she buys me an occasional beer. Other than that I wait for the high sign from the Mrs. as to when to wai or not

Read my lips, "... did not return the wai because of some form of snobbery," and I understand from my wife (Thai) that this sometimes happens.

Monks, priests, vicars and clergy, I tend to ignore as I have no respect for any form of organised religion. I respect the words attributed to Jesus and the Buddha along with many other great thinkers. Sorry if that upsets you.

I also understand the fact that older people will not always return a wai, I don't know about the King, but I would expect some sign of respect if I ever met him personally.

One does not wai the immediate Royal family. That is a bow or curtsy situation. Protocol Officer / ThaiVisa :o

Funny that...I saw different on the Thai TV.... :D

One does not wai the immediate Royal family. That is a bow or curtsy situation. Protocol Officer / ThaiVisa

Funny that...I saw different on the Thai TV....

Yep, check the TV news channels at 8 pm every night, and when the Royals move among the masses, those standing are all wai'ing, and those sitting either giving a wai or prostrating themselves...

Different story for formal audiences, though. Like George said. :o

having asked the wife, she tells me that she would kiss the feet of HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej as that would be the correct protocol if she ever had a royal meet.

As for me, I wai my wifes parents when I come home (usually at the airport) and when I leave. I don't wai my nephews when they wai me but i sawasdee and nod, then we hug.

When a new person comes home I wai them if they are older then me, but i do not if they are younger, i just nod and sawasdee.

At the Amphur I wai the head lady, at the bank I wai the manager (he really likes us, even for a simple transaction we get ushered into his office).

Otherwise I wai when my wife kicks me in the shin...

stupid farang :o