Help With Forum

thairet

Hello any moderator or experienced user. I am trying to post a thank-you to someone, but I keep getting "The number of opening and closing quote tags does not match. Please fix this to submit your post".

What am I doing wrong? I have submitted replies before with no problems re quote tags etc

Thanks Thairet

Hello any moderator or experienced user. I am trying to post a thank-you to someone, but I keep getting "The number of opening and closing quote tags does not match. Please fix this to submit your post".

What am I doing wrong? I have submitted replies before with no problems re quote tags etc

Thanks Thairet

Check in your reply: you probably have mistakenly / involuntarily deleted one (or several) character(s) at the beginning or at the end of the quoted message.

[ quote name='thairet' date='2008-12-02 01:01:46' post='2374780' ]

Thanks Thairet

[ /quote ]

Good day.

Notice when I quote your message. The first line has an opening "[" and the last thing is the "]"

If you were quoting someone's post and it is missing a part of the "code", you'll get an error message. For example:

[ quote name='thairet' date='2008-12-02 01:01:46' post='2374780'

(note this is missing the final "]" needed to "close" the quote.

(I added a space at the beginning so I wouldn't get the same error message when I post this)

The same applies for the end of the quoted text. If the [ /quote] is missing any part of the code (like that final "]" again), you'll get an error message.

Other code you may use, such as "Bold" "Italics" "Underlining" or various sizes/fonts/colours work the same way.

For example, something that has been "bolded" (if that's a word) would have the code box at the end. Anything in between would be in "bold"

(Again I added spaces into the "boxes" so you could see them.)

Underlining would be , italics would be and so on. Some will have more text in them, depending on what they are for.

For example, the "font" text I changed above looks like this: [ font="Impact" ] and ends like this: [ /font ] (without the extra spaces of course).

Clear as mud yet ?

Sometimes when editing text, you may accidentally delete one of those little "]" characters and get the error message. I edited a message once. Kept getting an error. Couldn't figure out why. Checked, rechecked, checked again and suddenly, there it was. One little "]" missing in the middle of a large post. :o

Quite often you will see a post that has something like [ size="3" ] blah blah blah Someone has deleted the closing "code" box, so the opening is still there. If somewhere further into the post, they put a [ /size ] box in, then everything in between would change to that size when it was posted.

Anyways, hope this helps. If not let "us" know ! :D

(I'd better not get any d@mn error messages myself when I post this !) :D

//edit - No error message !!!! :D

Edited by Kerryd

What am I doing wrong?

At present you appear to be trying to edit a nest of quotes, ( Assumption on my part ) this can be difficult to see if you have left out/left in a quote bracket.

If it is an easy quote you want to say thank you too, within that nest, an easy way would be to delete everything in the post, except the exact words that you want, this will obviously take out the necessary quote brackets that create your individual response.

Suppose you have the words, ' Thank you for your kind advice ', left as your required response.

Go up to the row of tool bars at the top of the dialogue box, beneath fonts, you will see a quote bubble icon ( 9th box from the left, 2nd from the right )

Highlight,

Thank you for your kind advice
and click on the quote bubble icon, it will automatically put your quote in the required brackets.

I hope this makes sense, it does to me, but that often doesn't stand to reason.

Good Luck

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn