Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the beaches and hotels are empty, aswell as chaweng beachroad and soi reaggae at night, it dosent really matter what kind of googling you guys make. Nor do links or long posts.

We're thrilled to have YOU around to have a look for us; that saves us time and money.

LaoPo

When the beaches and hotels are empty, aswell as chaweng beachroad and soi reaggae at night, it dosent really matter what kind of googling you guys make. Nor do links or long posts.

We're thrilled to have YOU around to have a look for us; that saves us time and money.

LaoPo

Hey, i didnt mean to step on you here, but as i understand your posts you say yourself that we wont get an answer how tourism is doing now, until febuari on that link. But a walk in chaweng gives somekind of answer already today. Offcourse we all see what we see and hear what we hear. Depending on what people we meet and what their oppinions are. I think its gonna be hard for anyone to prove this season is good. And season meaning the peak/high season that hotels put in their pricelists. The one they are suppose to make money on. Now til march pretty much, give or take some days. Just oppinion, as usual. Not facts.

LaoPo

Hey, i didnt mean to step on you here, but as i understand your posts you say yourself that we wont get an answer how tourism is doing now, until febuari on that link. But a walk in chaweng gives somekind of answer already today. Offcourse we all see what we see and hear what we hear. Depending on what people we meet and what their oppinions are. I think its gonna be hard for anyone to prove this season is good. And season meaning the peak/high season that hotels put in their pricelists. The one they are suppose to make money on. Now til march pretty much, give or take some days. Just oppinion, as usual. Not facts.

I am trying to change my August booked business class bangkok Airways ticket to K. Samui 28th Dec to Jan 2 nd.

Guess what all Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways flights to samui are fully booked Xmas to new Year so it looks like someone is coming to Samui apart from just my party of 7 people!

Sounds like all; is rosy in the land of make believe…but some of us who live here actually know how bad things are progressing down the drain; and past statistics that are very dubious; mean absolutely nothing about the future.

Thailand is going to suffer due to the World downturn, the Christmas/New Year peak of 8 days…WOW will be very quickly forgotten by Feb 09

Anyone in business here needs to look very carefully at expenditure as many will need every baht to survive the next 12 months

the last 9 years have allways been quiet at the beginning of December.

while some hotels still right this as high season most of them will give agentsa low season fair for up to December 20th.

while some of our newer members seem to think this is a new phenomena it is not. it has been going on for years.

i am sure that this year will finish with higher tourist arrivals then 2007. year on year. and i am quite sure that the economic turmoil around the world will be felt in 2009

.............edited.............

its is a regular thing that this debate about Samui status has taken place every low season..mid November to mid December and in the month of mid may till July.. off course every time there are those that see dooms day and there are those who know that there is a cycle here that repeat itself

.......edited...

last year we had the same debate and the year before that as well.

........edited......

for some o f us this place is home. with all its problems and fauts its still home ...........edited...

Exactly and not only the last 9 years but since I can think and that is a long,long time ago.. arrivals have ever increased, but then it has been said in the quoted text above by highdiver already!

Besides I wish those doomsday wishers and hel_l raisers genuine black dooms days for years to come, with ALL the losses, unimaginable pain and most severe suffering, one can imagine in his/her wildest nightmares as well as being slowly boiled in liquid magma for eternity!

Besides I wish those doomsday wishers and hel_l raisers genuine black dooms days for years to come, with ALL the losses, unimaginable pain and most severe suffering, one can imagine in his/her wildest nightmares as well as being slowly boiled in liquid magma for eternity!

Bad Day ?

Bad Day ?

Nope, in fact should read me if I have a bad day... :D

I only had it with the whining and dooms day prayers, as I wrote it is very much like highdiver wrote already it's still seasonal business on Samui, not all year round same, same as some wish it would be!

Just have a friend over he closed his business in Mallorca.. for the low/cold season! for 4 months, another one from St.Tropez for the time being...it happens everywhere.

The impact from the "global recession" we will see in the months to come... we

ll see... :o and talk then, agreed?

Edited by Samuian

I certainly hope I'm not considered as one of your doomsday wishers and hel_l raisers....read my signature :o

I supply facts and statistics, written and supplied by the Office of Tourism Development who in turn get their number from the Immigration Office, Police department; another source is the TAT.

Koh Samui/Phangan/Tao are just one of the small and few holiday destinations in the whole wide world and holiday destinations will suffer bad, one way or another in the 1 to 2 years to come; there is no escape.

Going on (long distance) holiday is a luxury and has become a ''business'' since some 60-70 years. Before that time only the rich and famous were able to travel from good old England (example) to the French Riviera or beyond.

Joe Main street (another example) came only much later to be able to afford to go on holiday; first in his own world-area, later to exotic holiday destinations like Asia. And I'm talking westerners here.

If you look at the majority of more than 60% (South & East) Asian tourists who come to Thailand, it's the same; they cut into their holidays and it's noticed in the inbound tourism already; the Asians have cut more and faster (numbers) than the 'Farang', also because Farang plan more in advance because they travel longer distances.

In these times it's obvious most households will cut first into their unnecessary expenditures. Unfortunately, holidays is one of the first, if not THE first to cut in expenditures next to (another or new) cars, television sets and other luxury goods.

That's why prices of a lot of products are coming down now, creating deflation and that's something else to worry about.

Gloom and doom ? :D

YES, worldwide and going to be worse, much worse.

The good part is that the world will survive and overcome. :D

LaoPo

I certainly hope I'm not considered as one of your doomsday wishers and hel_l raisers....read my signature :o

I supply facts and statistics, written and supplied by the Office of Tourism Development who in turn get their number from the Immigration Office, Police department; another source is the TAT.

Koh Samui/Phangan/Tao are just one of the small and few holiday destinations in the whole wide world and holiday destinations will suffer bad, one way or another in the 1 to 2 years to come; there is no escape.

Going on (long distance) holiday is a luxury and has become a ''business'' since some 60-70 years. Before that time only the rich and famous were able to travel from good old England (example) to the French Riviera or beyond.

Joe Main street (another example) came only much later to be able to afford to go on holiday; first in his own world-area, later to exotic holiday destinations like Asia. And I'm talking westerners here.

If you look at the majority of more than 60% (South & East) Asian tourists who come to Thailand, it's the same; they cut into their holidays and it's noticed in the inbound tourism already; the Asians have cut more and faster (numbers) than the 'Farang', also because Farang plan more in advance because they travel longer distances.

In these times it's obvious most households will cut first into their unnecessary expenditures. Unfortunately, holidays is one of the first, if not THE first to cut in expenditures next to (another or new) cars, television sets and other luxury goods.

That's why prices of a lot of products are coming down now, creating deflation and that's something else to worry about.

Gloom and doom ? :D

YES, worldwide and going to be worse, much worse.

The good part is that the world will survive and overcome. :D

LaoPo

lao my dear.

i don't Think anyone is considering you a doomsday.

we had a similar debate last year and if you recall you said that for Samui sake things will pick up. as you may recall i told you That input from travel agents was that it will be a good season and fortunately it was.

and thank you for taking the time to post the figures from January to July that show the increase(up for those who are reluctant to understand).

i like your posts very much as you like to address facts.. i myself gave up on posting details facts as it seems some of the members here don't like the facts if they contradict the bar talk. (very much like bingobongo in the financial thread) and even if you address the debate the facts they just find another reason to moan and complain.

in samui those of us who do have concerns about tourists are more then aware of the statistics and don't need to wait for TAT to publish the general report. we check every month with the airport and the hotels. the figures are in general just the ones that are reported. and according to them the overall tourist arrival domestic and forign are up from last year all the way to October. we are still getting info regarding November.

there are many more that arrivals in Samui and are not reported but this is another debate.

We are now in mid December and as every past year Samui is quiet. in 7 days samui will be full again.

and the most important thing ... its about time you got up and came down here and see the changes for your self... it must be freezing over there in Amsterdam..

mattias

By no means do I consider myself intellectually superior to you. (well actually following your debate here i do )

Just because I am trying to teach you something that is usually innate and comes easy to those who are clever and intelligent, or at least quick-witted, does not mean that I presume to think myself your superior, and expect that you genuflect before me.

in most of the threads on this forum you have presented no knowledge or experience. yet you seem to be persistent in your flaming posts trying to discredit me. :D

As other posters have mentioned most of your questions have been answered but you dont seem to get it.... :o

mattias

By no means do I consider myself intellectually superior to you. (well actually following your debate here i do )

Just because I am trying to teach you something that is usually innate and comes easy to those who are clever and intelligent, or at least quick-witted, does not mean that I presume to think myself your superior, and expect that you genuflect before me.

in most of the threads on this forum you have presented no knowledge or experience. yet you seem to be persistent in your flaming posts trying to discredit me. :D

As other posters have mentioned most of your questions have been answered but you dont seem to get it.... :o

so once again:

a person with your iq should have a low voice too.

You didnt go to a meeting with tourist assosiation where they claim that tourists numbers are gonna be high for this season did you?

It´s of interesst that you dont pull lies like this in the future. I think it´s unfair. I been slandering tourism attorisation for doing nothing and thinking everything is good. Because you said so. And in the end the whole "big investor in tourism and meetings with hoteliers and tourism attorities", was just you trying to put yourself higher than the rest of us.

You didnt go to a meeting with them.

Right?

mattias,

There was a meeting today, no idea if hd was there.

As has been pointed out already, since the 9 years that I've been here, throughout November up till mid/shortly before Xmess in December, Samui is very quiet!

The few times I've been out and about in Chaweng last week, the amount of people on the road, in restaurants and in Soi Green Mango wasn't that bad, considering the time of year.

It looks like the Xmess/NYE period will be packed to the rafters but if those are all people that will/can spend a lot of money is to be seen.

The real test will be after February, a month like April, that usually is very busy on Samui.

mattias,

As has been pointed out already, since the 9 years that I've been here, throughout November up till mid/shortly before Xmess in December, Samui is very quiet!

The few times I've been out and about in Chaweng last week, the amount of people on the road, in restaurants and in Soi Green Mango wasn't that bad, considering the time of year.

It looks like the Xmess/NYE period will be packed to the rafters but if those are all people that will/can spend a lot of money is to be seen.

The real test will be after February, a month like April, that usually is very busy on Samui.

totlay agree and it was debated in the previous meeting as well..

was not in the meeting to day.

Edited by highdiver

mattias,

Yeah.

But even november looked way more empty on the streets nd beaches than i remember the last 2-3 years. I speak to some hotelmanagers that say its been catastrofal the last part of this year. Worse than before.

You´re right about we have to wait and see. Fact still remains that it is aufully quiet though. But after 8 pages i might just give in to you guys. We all have our own oppinions.

Thai or Foreign....who cares, they all spend money, thats what counts... :o

It does matter...

In 2006 a Thai spent Baht 1.795/day and staid 2.65 days on average on a trip in his own country.

In 2006 a Foreigner spent Baht 4.048/day and staid 8,62 days on average in Thailand

In 2006, 13,82 Million foreigners spent Baht 482 Billion in Thailand

In 2006, 81.49 Million* Thai made trips/holiday and spent Baht 322 Billion.

* of course the 81.49 Million is the total number and include repeating Thai tourists, making several trips per year.

LaoPo

No number of surveys or whatever can give a true indication. We have a unique situation in Samui, high season 2004/5 2005/6 was of course improved because of the terrible effects of the tsunami had on Phuket Krabi etc, this could probably even be continued into 2006/7 high season, so the figures of course will be high, that therefor leaves us to rely on 2007/8 or go back to 2003/4 which you cant judge.

the worldwide recession will effect evry tourist destination so proactive agressive marketing by TOT and cheaper air tickets are the key to Samuis future

No number of surveys or whatever can give a true indication.

That's a misconception !

All the numbers, previously supplied, are factual numbers and not from a survey(s).

If you would have studied the link/website from the Office of Tourism Development you must have noticed that the figures are based upon the Primary Data sources from the Immigration Bureau, Royal Thai Police who receive the border cards from every single INBOUND traveler and are therefore very factual and precise.

Next to that, but not so precise, is the information, supplied by TAT regarding the Guest Arrivals at Accommodation Establishments for both domestic and foreign tourists.

NOTE: these numbers are for guests/travelers/tourists ALREADY in Thailand ! And since those numbers are probably accurate they are probably not as accurate as the INBOUND details by the Immigration Bureau because tourists, once IN Thailand, travel around the country; not all of them but a certain percentage.

Combined together it gives a pretty accurate view of the tourism situation in Thailand, both from domestic- as well as foreign tourists.

Now, I know that there will always be people who are in denial of almost everything and will write so but if you say that "...whatever can give a true indication" I am most interested to hear from you if you have better information, other than your own, very limited, observations.

Trying to open up for facts is sometimes hard....denial is sooooo easy. :o

LaoPo

well i guess the proof of the pudding will be dec.25-jan.1 so everyone will have to wait and see.I hope for all the local thai workers in hotels,resorts,bars,the massage ladies,the bar girls etc.that it will indeed be a good time.no one likes to see a tourist destination devoid of tourists.

bar girls already gone home :o

for situation just go to the web site latestays.com, it's interesting to see the 5star resorts discounting on the last week of the year....

ok, the price for some of them was absurd, but maybe somebody paid 4500b for a room at the south end of Lami beach, rocks and stray dogs included....

Sorry if this is unrelated to this thread but as this is the Koh Samiu forum, ....

I will be staying at a reasonably expensive (5500 baht/night after discount) hotel on a beach in the North of Samui that has wireless internet access.

As I have an active drilling oil and gas exploration well to follow during this period, how reliable will the connection be, will it be up and running 24 hours a day?

Sorry if this is unrelated to this thread but as this is the Koh Samiu forum, ....

I will be staying at a reasonably expensive (5500 baht/night after discount) hotel on a beach in the North of Samui that has wireless internet access.

As I have an active drilling oil and gas exploration well to follow during this period, how reliable will the connection be, will it be up and running 24 hours a day?

I'm sure it will be.

Posts have been deleted. Baiting someone into an inflammatory response is just as unacceptable as responding in an insulting way.

Keep it civil please or formal warnings will be handed out to all participants.

Been spending the day on chaweng beach (op bungalow.). There where a few tourists there. The tables where empty but there where some sunbathers. My wife bought a bbq corn and the salesman said it was the first he sold in 4 days, for whatever that might be worth, he might be lying.

Im not sure i ever seen it this empty before. To be honest. Wheter or not tourism is good this year, lets not argue back and forward, we all have our oppinions. I just find some of the linkproviders hard to beleive. But if they are happy, why shouldnt i? After all, we got to choose whatever table we wanted, thats rare!

Been spending the day on chaweng beach (op bungalow.). There where a few tourists there. The tables where empty but there where some sunbathers. My wife bought a bbq corn and the salesman said it was the first he sold in 4 days, for whatever that might be worth, he might be lying.

Im not sure i ever seen it this empty before. To be honest. Wheter or not tourism is good this year, lets not argue back and forward, we all have our oppinions. I just find some of the linkproviders hard to beleive. But if they are happy, why shouldnt i? After all, we got to choose whatever table we wanted, thats rare!

two weeks from now we will ALL know and have to admit the truth

What is the matter with you? You keep on saying that again and again - for too long. Are you some kind of a negative program? I think, that there are many tourists here, considering the political situation, the financial crises and the low season, which usual has a break 1 week before Christmas until 1 week after New Year until the high season starts at about 20 Jan.

My office is on Chaweng, I am every day overthere - since many years! I have seen low seasons much more quiet than this year!

1. Been spending the day on chaweng beach (op bungalow.). There where a few tourists there. The tables where empty but there where some sunbathers. My wife bought a bbq corn and the salesman said it was the first he sold in 4 days, for whatever that might be worth, he might be lying.

Im not sure i ever seen it this empty before. To be honest. Wheter or not tourism is good this year, lets not argue back and forward, we all have our oppinions.

2. I just find some of the linkproviders hard to beleive. But if they are happy, why shouldnt i? After all, we got to choose whatever table we wanted, thats rare!

1. There's nobody who doubts that there were only a few tourists at OP Bungalow on Chaweng (I know where it is) if you say so.

2. Only Koheesti and myself have provided links in the last 3 pages; so...I'm curious what you mean that we are "hard to believe" and "But, if they are happy...."

I find that kind of writing very odd (mildly spoken) since I have been supplying facts and it's not me who made those statistics; I just supplied them. It's not about being happy about declining tourism you know.

Please explain.

LaoPo

1. Been spending the day on chaweng beach (op bungalow.). There where a few tourists there. The tables where empty but there where some sunbathers. My wife bought a bbq corn and the salesman said it was the first he sold in 4 days, for whatever that might be worth, he might be lying.

Im not sure i ever seen it this empty before. To be honest. Wheter or not tourism is good this year, lets not argue back and forward, we all have our oppinions.

2. I just find some of the linkproviders hard to beleive. But if they are happy, why shouldnt i? After all, we got to choose whatever table we wanted, thats rare!

1. There's nobody who doubts that there were only a few tourists at OP Bungalow on Chaweng (I know where it is) if you say so.

2. Only Koheesti and myself have provided links in the last 3 pages; so...I'm curious what you mean that we are "hard to believe" and "But, if they are happy...."

I find that kind of writing very odd (mildly spoken) since I have been supplying facts and it's not me who made those statistics; I just supplied them. It's not about being happy about declining tourism you know.

Please explain.

LaoPo

Fair enought. No hard feelings, i didnt mean to be rude to you and i´m happy you brought the fact links to second your statements. However, if i walk out of my house and get an apple in my head tomorrow, im sure you can find a link that tell me it´s impossible that this happen. Thats the only point. Internetlinks are good. Reality seen is another truth but also good. The real truth is somewhere in between i guess?

Look, whatever we want to prove with a link it´s gonna be possible. Tourism down, or up. Either way we can prove it with a link. But take a ride down chaweng beachroad for the latest month and it shows something else. At least in my eyes. We are all coloured with what we want to beleive in a way. And what we seen before i guess.

Explanation good enough?

Fair enought. No hard feelings, i didnt mean to be rude to you and i´m happy you brought the fact links to second your statements. However, if i walk out of my house and get an apple in my head tomorrow, im sure you can find a link that tell me it´s impossible that this happen. Thats the only point. Internetlinks are good. Reality seen is another truth but also good. The real truth is somewhere in between i guess?

Look, whatever we want to prove with a link it´s gonna be possible. Tourism down, or up. Either way we can prove it with a link. But take a ride down chaweng beachroad for the latest month and it shows something else. At least in my eyes. We are all coloured with what we want to beleive in a way. And what we seen before i guess.

Explanation good enough?

No, it's not good enough since you were rude, addressing me as a "linkprovider who is hard to believe" :o

I do NOT want to prove anything.

YOU are doubting the figures collected by the Immigration Bureau, Royal Thai Police who receive the border cards, whether INBOUND tourists arrive by air, land, sea or train which Bureau supply them to the Office of Tourism Development; next to that are the TAT statistics.

The numbers I supplied from the sources I explained earlier were from up to June 2008. Another statistic which was already available was for Suvarnabhumi Airport for October where it showed that a number of almost 100.000 foreign tourists was short of last year.

YOU are talking about November and December 2008 but you are telling now that the links are doubtful and the numbers not correct.

You are mixing apples with pears.

I talk facts unless the data are lied upon by the government sources, above. But I see no reason why they should because the data over all for Thailand are not very promising for 2008.

I would appreciate if you won't address me any longer as a "linkprovider who is hard to believe" because I do not deserve to be called like that :D

Contrary to your own posts I only post after research and studying the facts; you are just talking what you see on a limited part of Chaweng beach on a certain day or period of the year.

Now please stop attacking me and just correct me if I wrote something wrong or incorrect which is always possible because I am a human being, like everybody else on this forum.

LaoPo