Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

Doesn't each time someone enters the country count as a tourist entry?

In other words, if in the old days I made 12 border runs each year then

I would count as 12 towards the overall number of 690,000 Americans

who visited Thailand.

YES!

And since the visa regualtions have changed and I had to get an actual visa and now only cross the border 4 times a year, that would mean that my personal contribution to tourism has decreased by 3 times.

Yes!

Or does Thailand count each unique person only one time no matter how many times he or she enters the country?

Or do they only count how many are staying at hotels/resorts?

Also, do tourist counts include any foreigner that comes into the country for whatever reason, even if on business? If not, how can they tell by counting plane tickets, border crossings or hotel rooms how many came as tourists and how many for other reasons? If they count the number of visas issued, again, does that mean someeone adds to the total each time they enter the country?

As of my knowledge ONLY the Arrival/departure cards are counted!

No clue if there is a difference made between, residents, people leaving after a weekend - anyway they would still be Visitors/Tourists?

But you got a point there, that the SAME Person entering and leaving the country several times a year is counted as several arrivals - who should check all this?

Barcode Software, how does it know?

Who will go through all the names and diff. data?

Cost factor, Ministry size?

May be it's a start with the scanners at Suvannabhum, but still there are plenty of other entry points... but they all supply the traveler/immigration with an arrival/departure card!

And believe that only they are counted!

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

under the new rules foreigners like you on tourist visas now have 30 days then only get 15 new days on visa run....now you have to make a run every two weeks.

Really? I read elsewhere on Thaivisa that the tourist visas weren't affected by the new rules.

I maybe wrong here, but when i have seen the reports before, they where compiled by tourist arrivals by air only.....

If true, then by the time 2008 is over I will count 4 times towards total # of tourists.

Edited by koheesti

under the new rules foreigners like you on tourist visas now have 30 days then only get 15 new days on visa run....now you have to make a run every two weeks.

Really? I read elsewhere on Thaivisa that the tourist visas weren't affected by the new rules.

really...as I am told anyway (I have a longterm visa so don't know from experience) started 23 November.

the new tenant is paying 30,600 baht per month (including key money) for a single front 2 story shophouse/bar.

now that is expensive....

did he not read ' The dummies guide to owning a bar in lamai ' ?

i know the guy who owns Havana ( or what ever its name is opposite Eden Bar ) is trying to sell his bar for 2.1 odd million THB ... and i believe there is only 9 months left on the contract ! ,

so they need to sell 120,000 worth of beer etc in a month.

approx. 4000 takings per day,

A bar with over 5 customers along that road ( and we are not taking in the people in there who own the bars ) is considered busy..........

But who knowes the fate of the road... i think those this will all depend on the price increase in Rent,

Any others care to comment

i've never understood how those bars stay open unless the high season is that good you can save enough for the rest of the year, i've never seen one person drink in the monkey bar in three visits this year even in high season! seems like a very hard way to make a living.

Please. Stop with the excuses...

The island is in the process of eliminating itself from the world tourist trail. Full stop. I have never experienced such short sightedness by a local authority. There is no local bus service to promote commerce. I have never seen a beach cleaned by anyone. The flights until very recently were 9000 baht +. It would be very hard to find a 45 min flight anywhere that costs this much. Certainly Bangkok Airways does not charge this much on routes it has competition. The roads are utterly appalling. Tourists are killed or maimed daily with not so much as a finger raised to prevent it. Where else could you sustain 5 medium size hospitals for such a small population. The roads do that job very nicely. Have the local authority every heard of black top ??? Clearly not. Has any one ever been pulled for drink driving...I think not. The obligatory monthly helmet check that lasts a whole 20 mins. Taxis that cost 500 to 1000 per trip and if you argue with the price you are liable to get assaulted or worse.. Refuse from building sites dumped on any open land. Footpaths overgrown with weeds and strewn with rubble. Where there are foot paths. Unfinished housing projects. Removing whole hillsides for land fill. The recent airport closures are just another factor in the rapid and terminal decline of the island. Phuket had a natural disaster - The Tsunami. What is happening to Samui is 100% preventable with a little vision, planning & implementation. Alas I think it is too late. Certainly in the next 2 -4 years. By that time the vast proportion of the community will be bankrupt. Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights...the ones that still work anyway.

really...as I am told anyway (I have a longterm visa so don't know from experience) started 23 November.

Well, I'll know for certain in under two weeks.

Please. Stop with the excuses...

The island is in the process of eliminating itself from the world tourist trail. Full stop. I have never experienced such short sightedness by a local authority. There is no local bus service to promote commerce. I have never seen a beach cleaned by anyone. The flights until very recently were 9000 baht +. It would be very hard to find a 45 min flight anywhere that costs this much. Certainly Bangkok Airways does not charge this much on routes it has competition. The roads are utterly appalling. Tourists are killed or maimed daily with not so much as a finger raised to prevent it. Where else could you sustain 5 medium size hospitals for such a small population. The roads do that job very nicely. Have the local authority every heard of black top ??? Clearly not. Has any one ever been pulled for drink driving...I think not. The obligatory monthly helmet check that lasts a whole 20 mins. Taxis that cost 500 to 1000 per trip and if you argue with the price you are liable to get assaulted or worse.. Refuse from building sites dumped on any open land. Footpaths overgrown with weeds and strewn with rubble. Where there are foot paths. Unfinished housing projects. Removing whole hillsides for land fill. The recent airport closures are just another factor in the rapid and terminal decline of the island. Phuket had a natural disaster - The Tsunami. What is happening to Samui is 100% preventable with a little vision, planning & implementation. Alas I think it is too late. Certainly in the next 2 -4 years. By that time the vast proportion of the community will be bankrupt. Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights...the ones that still work anyway.

so how is phuket different? Sounds like every island in the med was 30 years ago and they have survived the package tourist onslaught, several property boom and busts, the same problems were there including the mandatory incompetant local government but you get through them, things may not improve at the speed you like, you may see the problems far earlier but patience and time usually sort these things out in the long run. People will get burnt, shit will happen but one way or another life will go on.

ps.What's the obsession with roads on here anyway, surely most package holiday tourists come for the sand sea and some spicy thai food not a daily jaunt around the ringroad. The longest road journey is from the airport to the hotel.

A shame it has come to what it is....only 3 or 4 years ago it was a wonderful island......a recent trip confirmed why I left. I remember the road at Baan Tai all talk by the owners up there that the road was going to be surfaced in 2006.....well almost 2009 and still not done. A mystery why anyone would pay 6million Baht for a house that is located on a road like that. Same holes in the road at the Bandon junction.....one way in Chaweng...and LAMAI what idiot thought of that...what happened to Big Johns....2 hour wait for lunch when there were only a few other guests and the staff had the cheek to wait for a tip and then get angry when they didint get one.....arogant Israilies everywhere....not the place to holiday anymore...would advise anyone to look elsewhere...even Pattaya seems better now. :o

I have no obsession about the roads other than that they are a vital factor in enabling visitors and commerce to get from A to B. In turn this encourages them to spend in multiple places rather then in just one area. The average tourist spends 35000 baht per holiday in country. 9000 For Bangkok Airways. Say 1500 per night for 10 days. Thats 24000 already for a 10 day trip. Can they really afford a 1000 baht return taxi fare each night to a different restaurant / venue??? They expect convenience and value for money or they will not come back. The taxis are way over priced (relative to the rest of the country). Bangkok Airways is grossly over priced (relative to the rest of the country). The roads are in an awful condition (relative to the rest of the country). It is hardly surprising most of the 5 Stars have mini buses to ferry customers around. Again at an inflated rate and with none of the money filtering down to the local community. Why can't the local authority follow the example of the rest of Thailand.

I have no obsession about the roads other than that they are a vital factor in enabling visitors and commerce to get from A to B. In turn this encourages them to spend in multiple places rather then in just one area. The average tourist spends 35000 baht per holiday in country. 9000 For Bangkok Airways. Say 1500 per night for 10 days. Thats 24000 already for a 10 day trip. Can they really afford a 1000 baht return taxi fare each night to a different restaurant / venue??? They expect convenience and value for money or they will not come back. The taxis are way over priced (relative to the rest of the country). Bangkok Airways is grossly over priced (relative to the rest of the country). The roads are in an awful condition (relative to the rest of the country). It is hardly surprising most of the 5 Stars have mini buses to ferry customers around. Again at an inflated rate and with none of the money filtering down to the local community. Why can't the local authority follow the example of the rest of Thailand.

The average tourist buys a holiday package at home, in which prices for accommodation/ABF or half board, flights, transfers etc is already included. That's cheaper. They do not use taxis as much as you think, because they stay at the hotel or nearby or use hotel shuttle buses which are cheap or FOC.

BusyBee123 is right: they come mainly for beach life.

I have no obsession about the roads other than that they are a vital factor in enabling visitors and commerce to get from A to B. In turn this encourages them to spend in multiple places rather then in just one area. The average tourist spends 35000 baht per holiday in country. 9000 For Bangkok Airways. Say 1500 per night for 10 days. Thats 24000 already for a 10 day trip. Can they really afford a 1000 baht return taxi fare each night to a different restaurant / venue???

They expect convenience and value for money or they will not come back. The taxis are way over priced (relative to the rest of the country). Bangkok Airways is grossly over priced (relative to the rest of the country). The roads are in an awful condition (relative to the rest of the country). It is hardly surprising most of the 5 Stars have mini buses to ferry customers around. Again at an inflated rate and with none of the money filtering down to the local community. Why can't the local authority follow the example of the rest of Thailand.

:o Your example is complete nonsense. There is no average tourist, just in the statistics. Better study the official Immigration Police statistics in the link I provided already a few times before you write such examples.

The AVERAGE tourist doesn't go to Samui; just a small part of the 14,4 million.

The AVERAGE tourist doesn't spend Baht 9,000 because his return-ticket to Samui is already prepaid at a much lower rate, back home in a deal between travel agents and BKK Airways.

The AVERAGE tourist doesn't spend Baht 1500/night.

Don't write nonsense please and study the facts first.

The AVERAGE tourist from Asia spends only 6,5 days in LOS whilst the European stays 15.3 days. So how can you ever compare ?

The AVERAGE Asian tourist spends Baht 27.775 on his holiday in LOS; and Asian tourists count for more than 60% of TOTAL THAI TOURISM !

The AVERAGE European tourist spends Baht 58,000 on his holidays to LOS

The AVERAGE American tourist spends Baht 49,700 in 10.8 days

So: please don't write nonsense.

LaoPo

I have no obsession about the roads other than that they are a vital factor in enabling visitors and commerce to get from A to B. In turn this encourages them to spend in multiple places rather then in just one area. The average tourist spends 35000 baht per holiday in country. 9000 For Bangkok Airways. Say 1500 per night for 10 days. Thats 24000 already for a 10 day trip. Can they really afford a 1000 baht return taxi fare each night to a different restaurant / venue???

They expect convenience and value for money or they will not come back. The taxis are way over priced (relative to the rest of the country). Bangkok Airways is grossly over priced (relative to the rest of the country). The roads are in an awful condition (relative to the rest of the country). It is hardly surprising most of the 5 Stars have mini buses to ferry customers around. Again at an inflated rate and with none of the money filtering down to the local community. Why can't the local authority follow the example of the rest of Thailand.

:o Your example is complete nonsense. There is no average tourist, just in the statistics. Better study the official Immigration Police statistics in the link I provided already a few times before you write such examples.

The AVERAGE tourist doesn't spend Baht 9,000 because his return-ticket to Samui is already prepaid at a much lower rate, back home in a deal between travel agents and BKK Airways.

The AVERAGE tourist from Asia spends only 6,5 days in LOS whilst the European stays 15.3 days. So how can you ever compare ?

The AVERAGE Asian tourist spends Baht 27.775 on his holiday in LOS; and Asian tourists count for more than 60% of TOTAL THAI TOURISM !

LaoPo

I am simply stating that the tourist should be given the best posible opportunity to have a good holiday here in Samui. Nice Roads, convenient public transfers, clean beaches etc. To ensure they return time and again. This all leads to a fair distribution of wealth throughout the local community. Not just to arrive in Samui via Bangkok Airways be picked up in a free shuttle bus and remain in the hotel for the vast majority of the holiday and then go home. Like virtually every destination in the world you have a multitude of airlines from which to choose from at various rates. You will then have a choice of public bus (fixed rate), taxi (with meter) or hotel pick up. If staying in Maenam for example they may want to try a restaurant in Chaweng, Lamai or further afield using the same modes of transport (not at a cost comprable to the meal they are going to consume). Value for money = happy holiday makers = return visitors. Don't give them a chance to feel cheated. The tourist is not stupid and certainly knows when they are being conned. Therefore should be treated with respect. We all depend on them.

1. Nice Roads, convenient public transfers, clean beaches etc. To ensure they return time and again. This all leads to a fair distribution of wealth throughout the local community.

2. Not just to arrive in Samui via Bangkok Airways be picked up in a free shuttle bus and remain in the hotel for the vast majority of the holiday and then go home.

3. Like virtually every destination in the world you have a multitude of airlines from which to choose from at various rates. You will then have a choice of public bus (fixed rate), taxi (with meter) or hotel pick up. If staying in Maenam for example they may want to try a restaurant in Chaweng, Lamai or further afield using the same modes of transport (not at a cost comprable to the meal they are going to consume).

Value for money = happy holiday makers = return visitors. Don't give them a chance to feel cheated. The tourist is not stupid and certainly knows when they are being conned. Therefore should be treated with respect. We all depend on them.

1. Talk to the Province Authorities in Surat Thani Province (to which Samui/Phangan/Tao belong) on the mainland who take all the taxes, collected on Samui, but don't give Samui back anything but a little of the absolute necessary cash to improve infrastructure and other important issues.

2. The tourist you talk about is the same as in Spain, Mexico; they fly to their country destination > bus > hotel > bus > airport > home. I'm talking the VAST majority of tourists with the occasional trip to a stupid winery, shopping street (with all of the same souvenirs), an occasional restaurant; the rest of their holidays is spent in front of the hotel on the beach; and that's it. Back home they Say: we've been to Thailand.... :o

3. That's not the case on Samui; Samui is a rare example of a destination whereby the airport was built because of private entrepreneurial spirits by an airline company; not governmental spirits. So: you have to live with that fact.

For choices of bus, taxis or other affordable transport you have to go to the Provincial and local authorities who have to take that problem by the throat and end the present scams and install proper affordable and safe transportation.

I've been coming for over 30 years to Thailand and almost 20 years to Samui so I know a little where I'm talking about. And...I'm still coming to Thailand, and Samui :D

When I landed first in Thailand, tourism was around 1.2 to 1.5 million/year.....it was 14,4 in 2007 (flattered number though) so that's an increase of more than 1,000 % more.. :D

You were saying ? :D:D

LaoPo

LaoPo

I am simply stating that the tourist should be given the best posible opportunity to have a good holiday here in Samui. Nice Roads, convenient public transfers, clean beaches etc. To ensure they return time and again. This all leads to a fair distribution of wealth throughout the local community. Not just to arrive in Samui via Bangkok Airways be picked up in a free shuttle bus and remain in the hotel for the vast majority of the holiday and then go home. Like virtually every destination in the world you have a multitude of airlines from which to choose from at various rates. You will then have a choice of public bus (fixed rate), taxi (with meter) or hotel pick up. If staying in Maenam for example they may want to try a restaurant in Chaweng, Lamai or further afield using the same modes of transport (not at a cost comprable to the meal they are going to consume). Value for money = happy holiday makers = return visitors. Don't give them a chance to feel cheated. The tourist is not stupid and certainly knows when they are being conned. Therefore should be treated with respect. We all depend on them.

You are right. - and I have no idea why LP is giving you so much crap.

:o:D

LaoPo

LaoPo is actualy very accurate with his stats, try reading up on the facts.

Being a Resort MD (Samui) for over 10 years here, i can say he is spot on.

Cheers LP

:o:D

LaoPo

Cheers LP

I'm not taking issue with the stats. Although I could if I wanted because as has been established there really are few real facts to read up on. The method of counting who is a tourist or not is hardly accurate to say the least. Just consider the source (not LP, but the gov't) Also, it doesn't matter if you've been on the island 10 years or 100, pokerface is right when he says, "the tourist should be given the best posible opportunity to have a good holiday here in Samui. Nice Roads, convenient public transfers, clean beaches etc. To ensure they return time and again. ". You should appreciate that as a resort MD (I'm guessing Medical Doctor?...jooo-king...Managing Director). I dunno, maybe if I stayed on the island for a decade or more my mind would sharpen (like minds tend to do in the tropical island environment) and my opinion would change. :D

:D:D

LaoPo

Cheers LP

I'm not taking issue with the stats. Although I could if I wanted because as has been established there really are few real facts to read up on. The method of counting who is a tourist or not is hardly accurate to say the least. Just consider the source (not LP, but the gov't) Also, it doesn't matter if you've been on the island 10 years or 100,

pokerface is right when he says, "the tourist should be given the best posible opportunity to have a good holiday here in Samui. Nice Roads, convenient public transfers, clean beaches etc. To ensure they return time and again. ".

You should appreciate that as a resort MD (I'm guessing Medical Doctor?...jooo-king...Managing Director). I dunno, maybe if I stayed on the island for a decade or more my mind would sharpen (like minds tend to do in the tropical island environment) and my opinion would change. :wai:

Nice words Koheesti but now the ''crap''.....I'm waiting what ''crap'' I wrote/told ... :D

I fully agree with the highlighted sentence but I already gave an answer to that. Writing such words is very easy but the solution is quite difficult and has nothing to do with the tourism going up or down on Samui.

For the time being tourism is still going up to October in 2008; after that tourism numbers will decline and well into 2009 and 2010.

The nice roads, public transport, clean beaches, one has to talk to the provincial authorities but that subject is almost YAWN YAWN YAWN...and has been discussed on this forum over and over again.....

The three islands are hoping already for a long time to be a separate entity/province so that the taxes, paid on the islands would go into the pockets of the three islands, NOT Surat Thani Province.

The only thing I read was that the new governor of Surat Thani said he gave the police a short time to clean up the islands from drugs.... :o He better start talking about other important URGENT things as well. The vast majority of the tourists is NOT on drugs but want a safe and pleasant holiday because that's what they paid for, so I agree with all that's mentioned about roads, transport beaches etc.

Isn't that nice ? :D

LaoPo

Nice words Koheesti but now the ''crap''.....I'm waiting what ''crap'' I wrote/told ... :o

Not "wrote/told" but gave.

.... :D .....if you're finished with your magnifying glass finding the unfindable grains of salt, I'm all ears. :D

LaoPo

Nice words Koheesti but now the ''crap''.....I'm waiting what ''crap'' I wrote/told ... :o

Not "wrote/told" but gave.

.... :D .....if you're finished with your magnifying glass finding the unfindable grains of salt, I'm all ears. :D

LaoPo

Here goes...although it's not important... "To give someone crap" isn't an insult or anything so don't feel offended. My teaching days are behind me so that's as far as I'm taking it. Otherwise they might move the whole thread to another part of the forum. :D

"up the road ( opposite outback bar ) "

that's the strip my mates bar is in (and me too).

if that example i gave will apply to all new leases then you may be right about many shutting shop and walking away.

the landlord certainly has the typical attitude,

also partly you have to blame the silly lessees,

if i wanted to get seriously injured i would form a tenants association... haa haa haa

the new tenant is paying 30,600 baht per month (including key money) for a single front 2 story shophouse/bar.

a rule of thunb says you need to sell product worth 4 times the rent to break even on monthly expenses,

(not including extras like bar girls).

so they need to sell 120,000 worth of beer etc in a month.

approx. 4000 takings per day,

oh dear, they are in deep sh*t !!!

Mark Lamai

Which bar is yours ?

this just may be a flat period in Dec but i swear i was at central and it was like being on a private beach, there was not more than a hand full of tourist to be seen. some of the staff told me they have friends working in other resorts so low on tourist that they can not pay the staff. it looksas though more than 50% is missing

this just may be a flat period in Dec but i swear i was at central and it was like being on a private beach, there was not more than a hand full of tourist to be seen. some of the staff told me they have friends working in other resorts so low on tourist that they can not pay the staff. it looksas though more than 50% is missing

Do you mean the Samui Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui (Formerly Central Samui Beach Resort) on Chaweng Beach ?

The one with the enormous pilars and beautiful swimming pools with palmtrees inside ?

http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/csbr/gallery.asp

LaoPo

agree! :o ...ahhhh too bad...tourist numbers are down 70% + ....Samui's bubble IS burst...just look how all the land are developments failing and going bankrupt (and their blues bars and chinese restaurants being closed!) and the property agencies and solicitors are gone and !!! :D ...now if one could just get rid of the taxi drivers, the local and foreign mafi AND :D ...the timeshare sellers...Samui might start to be on the road to being an island paradise one day :D

Do you mean the Samui Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui (Formerly Central Samui Beach Resort) on Chaweng Beach ?

The one with the enormous pilars and beautiful swimming pools with palmtrees inside ?

LaoPo

correct the centara grand beach resort

LaoPo

correct the centara grand beach resort

Do us a favor please and go there again between 25th and 31st of this month; it would be interesting to learn how the situation isin the Christmas period. It's a 5* hotel after all...

LaoPo

Having lived and had a Business on Samui,[in Bophut],for 3 years from 2002-2005,if feel now Samui has passed it's sell by date. :D

Being now in Hua Hin,many Falang come here and gripe about being ripped off left, right, and centre in Samui now,by means of Taxi's,Food,Alcohol etc,

The Samuian's only have themselves too blame. :D

I hope they feel the real pinch this ''' busy time'',as i will have no sympathy for them.

Som-Num Nah :o

Having lived and had a Business on Samui,[in Bophut],for 3 years from 2002-2005,if feel now Samui has passed it's sell by date. :D

Being now in Hua Hin,many Falang come here and gripe about being ripped off left, right, and centre in Samui now,by means of Taxi's,Food,Alcohol etc,

The Samuian's only have themselves too blame. :D

I hope they feel the real pinch this ''' busy time'',as i will have no sympathy for them.

Som-Num Nah :o

You hope we have business problems? That's real cute- I hope karma doesn't bite you on the ass (but if it does, I'll have loads of sympathy for you)..