Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov. 5 (Xinhua) -- Firefly, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines, launched direct flight from Kuala Lumpur to Thai island Koh Samui, local media reported on Wednesday.

The service, four times a week, was launched recently with an inaugural flight by the airline's new ATR72-500 turboprop aircraft.

"We can now expect many first-time leisure travelers to Koh Samui from Kuala Lumpur, now that we are connecting the capital of Malaysia directly through this route," Firefly head of communications and marketing Angelina Fernandez said.

"More people will be able to experience what Koh Samui has to offer. We are also honored to be able to encourage the people of Thailand to visit Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia," the New Straits Times quoted Fernandez as saying.

This new route would enable expatriates living in Malaysia to do their "visa runs" and at the same time take the opportunity to explore Malaysia via the new route, she said.

"We expect Koh Samui to be one of our top Thailand destinations and we are happy to provide the service, which is why we have holiday packages via Firefly Holidays," she said.

Firefly Holidays packages start from as low as 180 ringgit (51 U.S. dollars) per person to 2,800 ringgit (795 U.S. dollars) for a three day, two night stay.

:o:D :D

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This new route would enable expatriates living in Malaysia to do their "visa runs" and at the same time take the opportunity to explore Malaysia via the new route, she said.

How do they mean? If you live in penange you fly to samui on a visarun and then to kuala lumpur to explore it? :o .

On the other hand i might bring expatriates living in Samui on a visarun.

Interresting news. :D

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov. 5 (Xinhua) -- Firefly, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines, launched direct flight from Kuala Lumpur to Thai island Koh Samui, local media reported on Wednesday.

The service, four times a week, was launched recently with an inaugural flight by the airline's new ATR72-500 turboprop aircraft.

On the web site no flight from SAmui to KL.

And for a visa/border run the flights all depart malaysia - samui - malaysia, no flight the next day so very bad combination.....

We went to Samui on the Sat 6th Dec there was eleven people on out lunchtime flight from Bangkok that was including my family of four! The Lamai accommodation that we stayed in was empty, normally full this time of the year (based on past experience)

We flew out of Samui on the 17th over the ten days that we stayed in Samui you could see an increase of people arriving on the beaches and walking during the evening.

"We can now expect many first-time leisure travelers to Koh Samui from Kuala Lumpur, now that we are connecting the capital of Malaysia directly through this route," Firefly head of communications and marketing Angelina Fernandez said.

"More people will be able to experience what Koh Samui has to offer. We are also honored to be able to encourage the people of Thailand to visit Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia," the New Straits Times quoted Fernandez as saying.

"We expect Koh Samui to be one of our top Thailand destinations and we are happy to provide the service, which is why we have holiday packages via Firefly Holidays," she said.

Firefly Holidays packages start from as low as 180 ringgit (51 U.S. dollars) per person to 2,800 ringgit (795 U.S. dollars) for a three day, two night stay.

:o:D :D

Good news, but I have a few things to say if the other members don't mind: :D

1. If the 4 flights a week are full they will bring 272 new tourists to Samui, per week; The ATR72-500 turboprop aircraft carries 68 passengers. That would be a maximum of 14,000 (Malaysian and International) passengers/tourists for a whole year but I doubt if that number can be reached. Half of that would be nice.

2. I think nobody denies here on this thread that the present economic world situation won't be effecting tourism to Thailand and Samui also.

The numbers to Samui up to the summer were still good as shown in the previous supplied statistics (too bad if some don't believe them but unless there are better statistics, I suppose we have to live and rely with/upon them, right ?)

3. We just have to wait and see if the TOTAL 2008 numbers of tourists to Samui will be up or down compared to 2007; personally I think the number will be down.

But, that 2009 will be a very bad year for Samui and Thailand in general is obvious. Add 2010 to that also, I'm afraid.

LaoPo

But i suppose pig might fly !

Pigs will have been airborne for decades before any local of Samui lowers anything by as much as a satang.

I think we all know what will happen: The income will decline, so prices must go up to maintain status quo. Sheer logic.

:o:D:D

Good news, but I have a few things to say if the other members don't mind: :D

1. If the 4 flights a week are full they will bring 272 new tourists to Samui, per week; The ATR72-500 turboprop aircraft carries 68 passengers. That would be a maximum of 14,000 (Malaysian and International) passengers/tourists for a whole year but I doubt if that number can be reached. Half of that would be nice.

2. I think nobody denies here on this thread that the present economic world situation won't be effecting tourism to Thailand and Samui also.

The numbers to Samui up to the summer were still good as shown in the previous supplied statistics (too bad if some don't believe them but unless there are better statistics, I suppose we have to live and rely with/upon them, right ?)

3. We just have to wait and see if the TOTAL 2008 numbers of tourists to Samui will be up or down compared to 2007; personally I think the number will be down.

But, that 2009 will be a very bad year for Samui and Thailand in general is obvious. Add 2010 to that also, I'm afraid.

LaoPo

Well, i don´t know what happened here exactly, if you changed or i did, but anyway i find myself in total agreement with this post, well said laopo!

I have to confess that the latest days i´ve noticed a bit more people in town, but still to my oppinion it is more quiet than usually this time a year. Like you say we will have to wait and see.

And there is also offcourse 14,000 going from samui every year with this new service. If they don´t plann to fly empty on the way back, wich i would´nt think?

Edited by mattias33

Well, i don´t know what happened here exactly, if you changed or i did, but anyway i find myself in total agreement with this post, well said laopo!

I have to confess that the latest days i´ve noticed a bit more people in town, but still to my oppinion it is more quiet than usually this time a year. Like you say we will have to wait and see.

And there is also offcourse 14,000 going from samui every year with this new service. If they don´t plann to fly empty on the way back, wich i would´nt think?

Nothing special Mattias; I didn't change my opinion about -Western- tourism since June 2007....I just supplied more facts from statistics, which, unfortunately are doubted by some.

I was just very much surprised, shocked if you wish, that Asian tourism to Thailand dropped so fast and so dramatic.

Although the year has a meager 10 days to go it will take months before the Thai Tourism authorities will be ready with their hard work and supply the REAL FACTS... :o

I have to correct myself with the number of passengers, flying in the newly (only one so far) delivered ATR72-500 to Firefly. The plane carries a maximum of 72 passengers, contrary to my earlier 68 number.

So: the weekly -highest possible- number increases from 272 to 288 or instead some 14K+ to almost 15,000/year IF fully booked.

If they fly all year around and nothing happens to the single ATR72-500 plane they have I would say an occupancy rate of 60% would be more realistic (average all year around); so around 9.000-10.000 extra tourists to Samui.

I'm not quite sure what you mean that 14.000 Malaysian+International passengers will leave Samui as well; of course (most of them) will.

LaoPo

Pigs will have been airborne for decades before any local of Samui lowers anything by as much as a satang.

I think we all know what will happen: The income will decline, so prices must go up to maintain status quo. Sheer logic.

Hi-end Resorts have decided to avoid the usual 20% increase of price of every december, they are doing instead 50% discount on latestay.com.... i'm wondering if the cheapest ones will be a bit squeezed....

but everything is already expensive.

how can Samui can be classified cheap if I have to spend 500b average, (11E) to eat on a normal restaurant?

at home i can spend the same and eat REAL pasta :o

and why Lamai has at least 10 farmacy and 10 optics? everybody is getting blind? do they offer free glasses?

gee, even to buy a decent t-shirt i have to wait for the first trip to Nathon.

Hi-end Resorts have decided to avoid the usual 20% increase of price of every december, they are doing instead 50% discount on latestay.com.... i'm wondering if the cheapest ones will be a bit squeezed....

how can Samui can be classified cheap if I have to spend 500b average, (11E) to eat on a normal restaurant?

and why Lamai has at least 10 farmacy and 10 optics? everybody is getting blind? do they offer free glasses?

If the high end resorts and hotels are lowering their prices it means that they:

1. are desperate for clients and thus bookings are down (but they must have been down already since months since foreigners book well in advance) and thus:

2. are too late attracting new customers

3. will not attract long distance tourists since the time frame is too short.

4. are focusing, trying to lure Thai (high end) tourists

It will help them just a little bit, but....better a little extra cash than nothing.

LaoPo

:o:D:D

what is your point spock? OH YA those firefly flight are SURE going to overcome the world economic depression and Thailand's recent political turmoil...ya.

What is a normal restaurant? German Beergarden?

at home i can spend the same and eat REAL pasta :D

Sorry i'm not german, in Lamai I mean NOT "Il tempio" fine italian restaurant but a pizza will cost a fortune....

I usually go to Thai restaurants and some foreigner.

All in range 300-500b....

And well, with 11E you cannot eat a dinner in most of europe, but for lunch in Italy and Spain you can, wine/beer excluded....

Although last summer in Tirol near Innsbruck the best restaurant in small village on the mountains were all below 12E and beer no limits.... :D

The point is, Thailand used to be so cheap i did not even care about making comparison.

Now i do. :o

BTW, today is Peak Season, restaurants half full, resort with special offers banners....january will not be a happy one here.

Sorry i'm not german, in Lamai I mean NOT "Il tempio" fine italian restaurant but a pizza will cost a fortune....

And well, with 11E you cannot eat a dinner in most of europe, but for lunch in Italy and Spain you can, wine/beer excluded....

Although last summer in Tirol near Innsbruck the best restaurant in small village on the mountains were all below 12E and beer no limits.... :D

The point is, Thailand used to be so cheap i did not even care about making comparison.

Now i do. :o

BTW, today is Peak Season, restaurants half full, resort with special offers banners....january will not be a happy one here.

I see...

today I ate Thai curry with chicken, beans, rice and scrambled egg, take away in a box and paid for that 40,-- THB - Banrak, you know, one of the expensive places on Samui - very delicious - BTW

Just checked bangkokair.com Cheapest flight you can get from Bangkok to Samui is 4,000 baht.

Airasia going Bangkok to Phuket the going rate is 1,700 baht. This means you can buy 2 flights off Air Asia for less than the price of one with BKK air, and still have change for the taxi !

Bangkok Airways are and always have been the greedy airline out of the lot ! Until the prices come down Samui is destined for even more trouble ! :o

Now i do. :D

I see...

today I ate Thai curry with chicken, beans, rice and scrambled egg, take away in a box and paid for that 40,-- THB - Banrak, you know, one of the expensive places on Samui - very delicious - BTW

Gee, fried rice and scrambled eggs, nice for the liver, expecially if eated for breakfast and dinner :D

I've got a filet Snapper (never heard of that fish but here is popular...), salad, potatoes and Singha, 200+50 singha.

no damage to liver and no curry, i cannot survive thai original recipes. :o

Now i do. :D

I see...

Gee, fried rice and scrambled eggs, nice for the liver, expecially if eated for breakfast and dinner :D

I've got a filet Snapper (never heard of that fish but here is popular...), salad, potatoes and Singha, 200+50 singha.

no damage to liver and no curry, i cannot survive thai original recipes. :o

Didn't you say: I have to spend 500b average, (11E) to eat on a normal restaurant?

BTW:

No it was not fried rice. There are many other delicious rice dishes in Thailand as well. Have you ever tried one?

Fine, I like Snapper too, especially the white snapper. It is the most common fish here in the seafood restaurants for tourists and locals as well.

If Singha is healthy is another question.

I wish to make a proposal: Those who can't afford to lead a decent life here,stay home, stop occupying the first row seats, the sun chairs at 4 am by the pool and yes PLEASE stop the rant!

The others, the doomsday prophets:keep on talking everything down, keep on talking about the downfall of everything, we'll keep partying!

The rest: I can not assure anything, but our business is booked out, could sell more rooms then there are, other places seeing their business picking up and ever increasing visitors, it NEVER has been different - except in 2004 when the tsunami hit just at peak season, this will never return, unless....!

A stroll along the beach, beach road I see, what I see every year, some places packed, some places empty, some medium occupancy, go to the Solo Pub or the Ark Bar, the popular places and see for yourself, after all there will be only business for those who are able to attract, be attractive and competitive....

last night beach road was quite busy, it never was really busy until the 25/26th. !

And then after a couple of days into new year it will all be over , to pick up a week later or so...if not, ahh well.... can't and don;t want to read the future, but also no intention to paint things bleak and black!

have a nice day!

Edited by Samuian

I wish to make a proposal: Those who can't afford to lead a decent life here,stay home, stop occupying the first row seats, the sun chairs at 4 am by the pool and yes PLEASE stop the rant!

The others, the doomsday prophets:keep on talking everything down, keep on talking about the downfall of everything, we'll keep partying!

The rest: I can not assure anything, but our business is booked out, could sell more rooms then there are, other places seeing their business picking up and ever increasing visitors, it NEVER has been different - except in 2004 when the tsunami hit just at peak season, this will never return, unless....!

A stroll along the beach, beach road I see, what I see every year, some places packed, some places empty, some medium occupancy, go to the Solo Pub or the Ark Bar, the popular places and see for yourself, after all there will be only business for those who are able to attract, be attractive and competitive....

last night beach road was quite busy, it never was really busy until the 25/26th. !

And then after a couple of days into new year it will all be over , to pick up a week later or so...if not, ahh well.... can't and don;t want to read the future, but also no intention to paint things bleak and black!

have a nice day!

we'll see...again for the countless time...yes, starting now, it will be the best of the year for two weeks (but not nearly as good as past years...overall)...then it will really suck...and forget the tsunami...that was nothing compared to what you are about to (actually already are but don't know it) get hit by...and watch...just watch, what a paradise Samui will be (i.e. businesses closed, developments and tourist gone for good) say, come Summer(because all those folks who bought tix 6 months ago and came because of that anyway now?...won't be buying)...so ya, I agree with Samuian, if you can't afford to live here (or anywhere for that matter) when the economy collapses, if you are uneducated, an idiot, no real skills (like for example most of bar owners, property agents, property soliciters, timeshare sellers, shop house builders...not to mention the so called local unsavory types...shame they can not sell land or drugs anymore...oh gee what will they do??? :o etc here)...best get out because there is no place for you here now...sorry that is just the truth.

I very rarely eat for 500 baht in Thailand . And yes i do spend a lot of time in Lamai .

Big pizzas around 300 baht ... very good . that is no Thai food .

Thai food ... never more then 100 baht unless you eat seafood . Try to eat your fish filet back home in a restaurant and you will spend a lot more then 11 € . Be real , Thai food in general 100 baht or less . Farang food 300 to 400 baht .

Yes Samui is expensive but don't try to make it like it is more expensive as back home. Better to go back home again and try to live the lifestyle you got in Samui the same way . You will see it is still not even nearly the same .

Well I for one in typical Irish tradition will be partying my way out of the recession, have Feb, April and August Booked already for next year :o:D

booking does not = show up...and pay

if it is merely a "recession"....we will be very lucky...

but Busybee :D I DO hope that is NOT what happens :D ..and I DO wish you and yours the best and most prosperous 2008 holidays and 2009 :wai: !...and whatever happens this next year hope we are both here next and happy :D

the great thing about living in thailand and especially here on Samui is if times are tough you can still have a great life here,eating thai food is really cheap,renting is cheap too,electricity is cheap and the weather's warm.of course going out to western restaurants,bars and the women can change all that,just have to cut the cloth etc etc.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I really can't be arsed reading through all this long thread. I was in Bkk recently and saw on the front page of the Bangkok Post an advert of Special seasonal promotion prices for Centara Hotels around Thailand. Wait for this! Centara Samui was being offered at 2200 baht for the 1st night and second night free! For all non mathemeticians, that's 1100 baht per night! Up in Hua Hin there was a similar 2 for 1 deal but the prices were around 7000 or 9000 baht a night. ( can't remember which). Says a lot really.

Cheers. :o

have a nice day!

we'll see...again for the countless time...yes, starting now, it will be the best of the year for two weeks (but not nearly as good as past years...overall)...then it will really suck...and forget the tsunami...that was nothing compared to what you are about to (actually already are but don't know it) get hit by...and watch...just watch, what a paradise Samui will be (i.e. businesses closed, developments and tourist gone for good) say, come Summer(because all those folks who bought tix 6 months ago and came because of that anyway now?...won't be buying)...so ya, I agree with Samuian, if you can't afford to live here (or anywhere for that matter) when the economy collapses, if you are uneducated, an idiot, no real skills (like for example most of bar owners, property agents, property soliciters, timeshare sellers, shop house builders...not to mention the so called local unsavory types...shame they can not sell land or drugs anymore...oh gee what will they do??? :o etc here)...best get out because there is no place for you here now...sorry that is just the truth.

After reading your post I can see which category you come under when are you leaving?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I really can't be arsed reading through all this long thread. I was in Bkk recently and saw on the front page of the Bangkok Post an advert of Special seasonal promotion prices for Centara Hotels around Thailand. Wait for this! Centara Samui was being offered at 2200 baht for the 1st night and second night free! For all non mathemeticians, that's 1100 baht per night! Up in Hua Hin there was a similar 2 for 1 deal but the prices were around 7000 or 9000 baht a night. ( can't remember which). Says a lot really.

Cheers. :o

That's for the Centara Villas on Natien Beach for the cheapest room category from 05.01. until 20.01. The normal yearly drop period after the Christmas-/New Year guests left, which this year is more than it used to be.

BTW, the rates for Centara Hat Yai & Chiang Mai are unbelievable 1800 and 2nd night free.

Question: Do the posters here want Samui to have a "good high season"?

I mean the thread is about the downturn, or alleged downturn, but for me, I am happy to see the place empty.

I don't think everyone here owns a shop or bar and needs the higher tourist numbers to make ends meet.

Would you be happy, like me, to see the place like it was in May or October (or most of the months in between, to be frank) -- very sparsely tourist populated?