Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after reading an email today it seems lamai is dead, tourism is down worldwide(just look at BA stats) i just hope my friends get through this rough patch as they run a lovely business

Yes, beach sunday was mostly occupied by thai people, water dirty, sand with trash as usual (maybe somebody will put trash can so the turists of 10.000b resorts will clean up)....

hotel will suffer but restaurants seems doing fine, every day one is closed for vacation :o

street vendor and bar are closing fast but not for vacation ....

anyway, bought BKK air ticket and the price was only 3070b instead of the 4190b for arrival flight, so at least ONE (1) business in SAmui lowered price apart empty resorts........

and it is too hot :D , should have gone home sooner....

I'm going to post a positive regarding taxi drivers on samui.I recently arrived back from the mainland via the donsak ferry,arrived about 8.30pm,saw very few taxis but managed to flag one down(they already had a customer inside the cab)mentioned i needed to get to bophut,driver said ok,i said how much,he said 200 baht.The driver actually drove via lamai/chaweng and onto bophut and dropped me outside my house.

Some poster do it to let steam out... ok. but some posters have made this into an agenda .. no matter what the subject is there is always negativity regarding everything in Samui.

if this place is so bad why would such a poster choose to live here? why with that poster tkae time over and over again to complain whine and bitch about everything?? :o

if a poster posts opinions on subjects that they have no knowledge, background, education and experience about in my view is incorrect as that poster is misleading others who attribute to this information validity when coming from a local.

postings that set out to mark Samui as a "wild west island" controlled by mafia with corrupt police, government mayor etc.. and emphasizing that Samui is the only place in the world where this is happening is in my view and opinion wrong and i will protest and reply to those posters what i view as incorrect information or a remark that i feel other readers should enjoy reading a different view also from a local.

Samui is far from perfect in many ways. and there is plenty of room here to make opinions on what should be done to improve things.

but there are some posting that in my opinion are are just plain lies with flaming remarks based on nothing apart from ignorant bar talk and slanderous rhetoric on the Island on the people who live in it and i find it unacceptable

HD, many of your posts make me wonder whats going on in your mind.

It seams to me that anyone and everyone that have a different opinon than you are ignorant to 'real facts'.

Never read a post where anyone claims that Samui is the only place on earth where there are; cheating taxidrivers, corrupt policemen, incompetent politicians etc etc.

But the fact remains, it all excists here, just like in many other coutries - And that fact is no defense to the behavior of these groups of people is it?

I, myself live here since several years together with my family, we early realized most of the problems here on the island.

Our way of tackling that situation is very simple;

All the 'problems' that we can do something about, we actually act accordingly to avoid those problems.

Like getting cheated at the market - we do our shopping at Tesco, Makro and other places where everyone pay the same price.

Taxi ripp-offs, easy as a local to avoid by having your own vehicle and/or having a friend drop you off and pick you upp at the airport.

We buy our clothes two to three times in Bangkok, nice short vacations and a way to avoid the local rip-offs.

We rent our house from an old British gentleman, from who we pay the actual cost for electric, water, internet, cable TV etc, which is unusual from Thai landlords.

We avoid eating and drinking at outlets where the tendency to rise the price coz' of lack of costumers rather than what normal business owner do - to lower the price.

We never lend any money to Thai's, we did but never got the money back = Good lesson.

Many more things, but that's all I can think of now.

On the other hand - things that are out of our control, we know that those things we have to accept or we would go crazy.

Like the corruption within the political establishment and local police force.

The fact that money goes into these peoples pockets instead of improving the infrastructure on the island.

Like getting fined sometimes for something you didn't do.(more common outside samui)

Always getting the blame if there is an accident.(luckily almost never happened to us, but for many friends)

All in all - we live a very comfortable life here on Samui and luckily enough we get our income from outside the country, which is good since almost everyone we know that run businesses here have problems that we don't.

Also, in my very personal opinion, you don't have to have what HD expresses as "knowledge, background, education and experience" to realize or express these things and anyone that cannot see that the tourist industry is the lowest in many years this year - must be blind.

agree with your post TM,also once you've lived here a while you know the correct prices of things,from market stall prices,to restaurants,bars,clothes etc,so no need to be stung,including taxis(i remember coming out of samui airport,no mini buses left,only taxis,the taxi stand at the airport refused to go under 500 baht,so i just laughed at them and walked off,found a vacant taxi near the exit,he wanted 500 baht,came down to 300 baht and i offered 200 baht take it or leave it,he took it........thailand is all about haggling,as is asia in general,part of its charm,and a constant battle,but acceptable imo.

Thailand leads in Asia-Pacific tourism decline

Tourist arrivals in the Asia-Pacific fell 2.8 per cent year on year in last year's fourth quarter, with Thailand leading the plunge with a 28-percent decline, the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) revealed Wednesday.

www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews

• 2 years later...

At the northeast end of the island - everything is full on.

All of the large hotels that I have spoken to have had a great season and still going on. Most 100% full since Nov/Dec, but starting to slow down a bit now.

Car and motorbike hire - mostly all rented out.

All of the rental properties in the area where I live - booked until April. More enquiries coming in.

Good restaurants - busy.

Bars - empty sad.png

All of the large hotels that I have spoken to have had a great season and still going on. Most 100% full since Nov/Dec, but starting to slow down a bit now.

All of the rental properties in the area where I live - booked until April. More enquiries coming in.

Good restaurants - busy.

Bars - empty sad.png

I think were getting a bit carried away here. NOWHERE on samui is full Nov/Dec. fact.

The island actually is not that busy now either. You can get a room pretty much wherever you want. cars and motor bikes are readily available and you can negotiate a good price.

i do understand people wanting to look on the bright side but to say the island is really full/really busy is total and utter rubbish.

Bangrak, for example, bar a couple of bars that are always busy, is a ghost town

Good restaurants - busy.

Bars - empty sad.png

I think were getting a bit carried away here. NOWHERE on samui is full Nov/Dec. fact.

The island actually is not that busy now either. You can get a room pretty much wherever you want. cars and motor bikes are readily available and you can negotiate a good price.

i do understand people wanting to look on the bright side but to say the island is really full/really busy is total and utter rubbish.

Bangrak, for example, bar a couple of bars that are always busy, is a ghost town

Carmine - I am only talking about the NE end of Samui.

When GM's of the larger hotels tell me that they have been 100% full since Nov/Dec I tend not to call them liars!

Bangrak last night - I could not get a table in my first three choices of restaurant, but apart from the better restaurants, Bangrak has looked like a ghost town for a while.

The rental people that I use at the NE end of Samui have NOTHING to rent and cannot get anything from their usual friends.

To say that it's rubbish is to say that we are all liars and you are correct. Sorry - I tend to believe the people that I know and talk to regularly

Good restaurants - busy.

Bars - empty sad.png

When GM's of the larger hotels tell me that they have been 100% full since Nov/Dec I tend not to call them liars!

Bangrak last night - I could not get a table in my first three choices of restaurant, but apart from the better restaurants, Bangrak has looked like a ghost town for a while.

The rental people that I use at the NE end of Samui have NOTHING to rent and cannot get anything from their usual friends.

To say that it's rubbish is to say that we are all liars and you are correct. Sorry - I tend to believe the people that I know and talk to regularly

I'm clearly in a very deep sleep and have bad dreams then because my 10000 baht to your 20 baht note says i can hire a bike in five minutes flat, get a room anywhere i like and i have yet to see a restaurant that i couldn't immediately get a table with the exception of the Shack.

Incidentallt from where i am sitting right now i can see five motorbikes for rent and also a car with a great big for rent sign on top od it. So if you are having problems finding bikes to rent PM me and you can hire as many as you want.

Good restaurants - busy.

Bars - empty sad.png

You had a good dream. But it's just a dream!

Edited by yogya

I'm clearly in a very deep sleep and have bad dreams then because my 10000 baht to your 20 baht note says i can hire a bike in five minutes flat, get a room anywhere i like and i have yet to see a restaurant that i couldn't immediately get a table with the exception of the Shack.

Incidentallt from where i am sitting right now i can see five motorbikes for rent and also a car with a great big for rent sign on top od it. So if you are having problems finding bikes to rent PM me and you can hire as many as you want.

Carmine - apologies. I had my Mr Angry head on when I responded to your post. (Staff issues and Monday morning.)

My post was not well written and probably rude. sorry.gif

Yes - there are micky mouse hire places with stuff to rent out. However, I should have said "my preferred suppliers (3 of them) have nothing to rent and cannot get anything from their reliable sources."

I only use hire companies that do not hold passports to ransome and who respond quickly if there is a problem with the vehicle/bike. All vehicles have good insurance as well.

Restaurants where getting a table is a problem recently (some last night) - Antica Locanda/Oceans 11/Shambala/Crystal/Black Sheep pizza place. I could of had a table last night at my first choice - but it was outside and raining. I did not want to get wet.

Sure there are lots of restaurants with tables - but I was after a nice one. As I said - "good restaurants - busy"

Hotels - again, I said - now slowing down. Of course you can get a room.

I look after 14 private villas. The only empty ones are two where the owners do not want renters. This is unusual for this time of year.

Carmine - apologies. I had my Mr Angry head on when I responded to your post. (Staff issues and Monday morning.)

My post was not well written and probably rude. sorry.gif

Yes - there are micky mouse hire places with stuff to rent out. However, I should have said "my preferred suppliers (3 of them) have nothing to rent and cannot get anything from their reliable sources."

I only use hire companies that do not hold passports to ransome and who respond quickly if there is a problem with the vehicle/bike. All vehicles have good insurance as well.

Restaurants where getting a table is a problem recently (some last night) - Antica Locanda/Oceans 11/Shambala/Crystal/Black Sheep pizza place. I could of had a table last night at my first choice - but it was outside and raining. I did not want to get wet.

Sure there are lots of restaurants with tables - but I was after a nice one. As I said - "good restaurants - busy"

Hotels - again, I said - now slowing down. Of course you can get a room.

I look after 14 private villas. The only empty ones are two where the owners do not want renters. This is unusual for this time of year.

No offence taken.

Why you say Bangrak is like a ghost town ? Bangrak is very nera the airport while NE is quite far. Traditionally, the closer to the airport, the more people they will be. Or are you saying Bangrak is so run-down that the wealthier people want to stay out?

bang rak is transient by nature. people come here to go elsewhere. bang rak is then a pretty good indicator of the general state of things on the island as a whole. it isn't so much that bang rak is run down, it is what it is.

Why you say Bangrak is like a ghost town ? Bangrak is very nera the airport while NE is quite far. Traditionally, the closer to the airport, the more people they will be. Or are you saying Bangrak is so run-down that the wealthier people want to stay out?

bang rak is transient by nature. people come here to go elsewhere. bang rak is then a pretty good indicator of the general state of things on the island as a whole. it isn't so much that bang rak is run down, it is what it is.

Bangrak hasn't got many large hotels, only a few good restaurants, and a lot of small bars/business/pharmacies/7/11/family mart etc.....not really a place where tourists would stay for a longer period of time.

Good restaurants - busy.

Bars - empty sad.png

not checked them all but agoda has Sala Samui reduced rooms from 30,000 baht to 10,000 baht with availability.. now if thats an example of a NE top hotel why would they do that if 100% full. Same in Phuket posts, every where full but i just got a 50% reduced rate on a room for 5 nights this. weekend.

Good restaurants - busy.

Bars - empty sad.png

not checked them all but agoda has Sala Samui reduced rooms from 30,000 baht to 10,000 baht with availability.. now if thats an example of a NE top hotel why would they do that if 100% full. Same in Phuket posts, every where full but i just got a 50% reduced rate on a room for 5 nights this. weekend.

I have often found with Agoda that their 50 % reduced rate just comes down to the same price the Hotel website has the room for. You have to question whether the real room rate was ever what Agoda quoted. Seems more like a sales ploy to me.

I have often found with Agoda that their 50 % reduced rate just comes down to the same price the Hotel website has the room for. You have to question whether the real room rate was ever what Agoda quoted. Seems more like a sales ploy to me.

I agree. I have found the same with Agoda v Hotel website. Last week, we stayed at a hotel on KPN. Agoda was 8,xxx baht reduced to 3,059 baht plus taxes. I extended whilst at the hotel - same room one night, 4,800 baht reduced to 3,600 baht. (Agoda inc taxes - 3,600 baht. Hmmmm.)

Things definitely slowing down - my regular hire companies now have 2 vehicles for hire between them! I also have one villa available for 5 weeks! whistling.gif

Edited by Tropicalevo

well as a newie here on koh samui i have to say greed is the work i would use for here yes i know its a strong word but for me its true,how i have not just stay on the island for my whole 6 months i have travelled about to just back from chumpon again trip away and i have to say the prices are keeping people away from here i have talked to many on the beaches and in pubs and most are only here 2 to 3 days which is a faction of they trip and only cause of the things cost here.the fact of the matter is very thing is way over priced here even for an island even,yes its a great place but knowing you can spend more here than else were of cause people will go else where. a week on samui might get you a week and 3 days else were?not every body as money to burn.yes you can stay here on a budget but you have to work hard to do it. just back on the ferry to yesterday and there was not many people on it to only Thais 99% only about 6 westerners(including 4 of us) and i watched them get on,saying that i have been checking the BBK airways flight out of samui as i am going to bangkok again and some of the flights are fully booked but going out flight back no probs going off the island yes most flight are full.

Yes for me and the wife i have to say its a shame great place some nice people to but they have to keep seeing you face around before they stop over charging you.

i know the prices charge from place to place but on my travels koh samui is the most expensive place and that alone will stop people from coming here especially in these hard times.

i have used agoda many times while on my travels and yesi have stopped to cause i have found most of the hotels website a lot cheaper, off to bangkok again and looked on agoda and then checked the hotels website saved 300 bhat a night booking with the hotel of choice and i have done this now over and over again i would not trust them again and i did a review on the hotel saying it was cheap just to walk in and they edited my review ?

• Like 1

Traditionally at all the airports I have been in Thailand that is not the case, that's because of the possible aircraft noise. The NE is not quite far away. I would count Bangrak, Plai Laem and Choeng Mon as NE Moo Baans of the island.

Bangrak is not particularly pleasant and of all the areas to stay on the island offers the least for tourists in my opinion.

well as a newie here on koh samui i have to say greed is the work i would use for here yes i know its a strong word but for me its true,how i have not just stay on the island for my whole 6 months i have travelled about to just back from chumpon again trip away and i have to say the prices are keeping people away from here i have talked to many on the beaches and in pubs and most are only here 2 to 3 days which is a faction of they trip and only cause of the things cost here.the fact of the matter is very thing is way over priced here even for an island even,yes its a great place but knowing you can spend more here than else were of cause people will go else where. a week on samui might get you a week and 3 days else were?not every body as money to burn.yes you can stay here on a budget but you have to work hard to do it. just back on the ferry to yesterday and there was not many people on it to only Thais 99% only about 6 westerners(including 4 of us) and i watched them get on,saying that i have been checking the BBK airways flight out of samui as i am going to bangkok again and some of the flights are fully booked but going out flight back no probs going off the island yes most flight are full.

Yes for me and the wife i have to say its a shame great place some nice people to but they have to keep seeing you face around before they stop over charging you.

i know the prices charge from place to place but on my travels koh samui is the most expensive place and that alone will stop people from coming here especially in these hard times.

i have used agoda many times while on my travels and yesi have stopped to cause i have found most of the hotels website a lot cheaper, off to bangkok again and looked on agoda and then checked the hotels website saved 300 bhat a night booking with the hotel of choice and i have done this now over and over again i would not trust them again and i did a review on the hotel saying it was cheap just to walk in and they edited my review ?

I disagree with this. Can you give some examples? I'm not trying to start an argument, just curious.

Bangrak is not particularly pleasant and of all the areas to stay on the island offers the least for tourists in my opinion.

i love this

ok hotel in surat thani big hotel to prices for food and drink large chang/singer 80bhat food no more then 100bhat. chumpon bar and a nice one to with pool table, large chang 55 baht large singer 78 baht you are lucky to find a small bottle for them prices on samui. food,chicken cashew nuts and rice 60 baht and not a small portion to, petrol 35baht a litre (samui 42baht) tescos lotus food pork in Chinese sauce with rice 35 baht,.tescos lotus samui 50 baht we were with a couple that has a 5 year plan to stay on koh samui and even they didn't realise the different in prices the list can go on and on.paracetamol 5 bhat a strip i get charged 10 baht here (bought 2 boxs) checked a agent on houses 10k for a 3 bedroom house looks nice had a garden and it was well kept not far from beach(no i didn't go and see it).

all i can say is go and see for yourself it was a shock to me to a real eye opener, ranong was the same but i wouldn't stay here lol and this all adds up in the end no matter how small but add it all up in a month and i bet its a lot

surprise, surprise. If money is the prior factor, then there are many even much cheaper places on this planet than your new discovery. On the other hand most touristic islands around the globe are more expensive than Samui. I for one don't care about Samui prices at all, but I would care at Guadeloupe for instance.

• Like 1

It was interesting coming from Chumpon the other day, the Lomprayah ferry was jammed packed.... five or six bus loads of people from BKK.

I would say over 50% got off at Koh Toa, another 20 or 30 % at K.P (more got on at each stop) ... coming to Samui...

To those who say prices are higher here, is nonsense, KP generally higher, for short and long term rentals... Price of food in restaurants depends on location, beach front you are going to pay more... (generally) ... For people I know who have gone on to Phuket, they all say bar restaurant prices higher... and not as nice as Samui.

As for those who live here long term, the price of food at Tesco etc, is the same in BKK and any other area in southern Thailand .... I just checked price in BKK, just to see... certainly not much difference if any on the usual things I buy...

You can pay high or low price for restaurant meals, it comes down to partly ambiance and location of the places .... nice sea view is going to cost more.... but on main streets there are lots of variences in price & quality from high to low...

Having just returned from Malaysia Borneo and Brunei, I can say that hotel rates here are much better for what you get there... although food is generally cheaper there. ... Not being a real drinker I cannot compare prices of booze...

High rent areas such as Chawang are going to be more expensive, than say beautiful Maenam beach areas... wink.png .... there are many nice resorts, along there... at far more reasonable prices...

Money is not a prior just a principle for me i do ok retired at 45 but i do care the p is not taking they is no reason what so ever the prices are so high and the number of people coming are down and its easy to see why,the prices the the attitude of people here and people wonder why they businesses are quiet and i have to say its such a a shame as the island has a lot to offer but i am sorry to say the price is to high to pay for much people as i have said people only come here for 2 to 3 days of they holidays cause of price of thing here i can live here very comfy myself with my wife.but why pay higher prices for the same things i can get else where, as i am here with my wife i do not need the girlie bar's what so ever,i am sorry if i have upset the hard island lovers and i can see why you love koh samui but love can be blind. i like it to just a shame we look like ATM'S to these people on the island as the island would be booming.

i didnt use that Lomprayah ferry as it was CHEAPER TO HIRE A CAR to drive up to chumpon and again Lomprayed doubled they prices since i have been here only 6 month now

as for the price of food it was a little lower in tescos lotus chupmon and surat thani and rangon as i have said just been in them in the last 2 days oh and the car rental is cheaper to in these places to..i cannot complain about to price i am paying for my place sea-view and only 8k for my one bedroom love it just outside lamai.but i can have a 3 bedroom with a nice garden for 10k just 200yards from the beach.

the best price i have found for food on the beach is NEW HUTS great food and cheap drinks to, like have said you can find it but you do have to look hard, cheap drink just stay out of the girlie bars which i have no reason to go into so i know its cheaper by 20 to 30 baht and again it all adds up

Edited by doingok