Overstay Fears........

Hi

Does anybody know (not just think they do) what the rules are now for overstay?

My visa expired on November 26th, i had a flight booked to Penang for that day, and subsequently changed it three times. Now the airport will soon be re-open the earliest i can fly is next wednesday. I have all the previous flight itineraries to show to the relevant authorities but i am worried that as i cannot fly until the 10th i will be charged overstay from tomorrow until that day.

Does anybody know what the rule is?

Many thanks for any help you can give me and good luck to anybody else in the same situation.

Hi

Does anybody know (not just think they do) what the rules are now for overstay?

My visa expired on November 26th, i had a flight booked to Penang for that day, and subsequently changed it three times. Now the airport will soon be re-open the earliest i can fly is next wednesday. I have all the previous flight itineraries to show to the relevant authorities but i am worried that as i cannot fly until the 10th i will be charged overstay from tomorrow until that day.

Does anybody know what the rule is?

Many thanks for any help you can give me and good luck to anybody else in the same situation.

Overstay fines exempted for travelers stranded by Bangkok airport closures

PHUKET CITY: -- Phuket Immigration Police Superintendent Chanatpol Yongbunjerd has confirmed that any travelers stranded in Thailand by the closure of Bangkok’s two airports will be exempted from paying overstay fines.

Immigration headquarters in Bangkok has instructed immigration officers nationwide to extend “special assistance” to stranded travelers, just as it did in the wake of the 2004 tsunami disaster, he said.

Such assistance includes not only waiving overstay fines, but helping tourists find accommodation, he added.

Foreigners with long overstays hoping to use the crisis to slip out of the country without paying a fine will be disappointed, however.

The overstay fee waiver will only be granted on a case-by-case basis to travelers able to prove that the airport closure was responsible for their delayed departure.

Travelers should be prepared to show documentary evidence, such as air tickets, to support their claims when leaving the country, he said.

Col Chanatpol said Phuket Airport Immigration and Customs expects an increase in the number of arrivals here as more planes scheduled to land at Suvarnabhumi Airport, especially direct flights from Malaysia and Singapore, touch down at Phuket Airport instead.

-- Phuket Gazette 2008-11-28

http://www.phuketgazette.net/dailynews/index.asp?id=6936

If you can show a ticket out of the country within the period SUV is closed no overstay is charged.

www.immigration.go.th

Thanks for that, i understand that is the case but for how long can i overstay without fine? There will be a cut off date at some point and i will be overstaying the airport closure by 5 or 6 days, this is the problem.

thanks again

The overstay fee waiver will only be granted on a case-by-case basis to travelers able to prove that the airport closure was responsible for their delayed departure.

Playing devil's advocate here but could immigration argue that the closure didn't prevent this particular traveller making alternative arrangements for such a local trip?

Highly unlikey I know as they should be working their butts off to restore at least some of Thailand's image but sometimes you never know how their minds work.

Playing devil's advocate here but could immigration argue that the closure didn't prevent this particular traveller making alternative arrangements for such a local trip?

Highly unlikey I know as they should be working their butts off to restore at least some of Thailand's image but sometimes you never know how their minds work.

The day i was supposed to fly and couldn't (November 26th) i went to the Immigration office in BKK and was told i wouldn't have to pay overstay fines or make alternative arrangements. Wish i had got the lady to write that down, but hindsights a wonderful thing!

So, does anybody know the cutoff point for overstay fines after the airport re-opens?

You could always apply for a 7 or 10 days extension at your local immigration office, to be on the safe side. Cost: 1,900 Baht.

Can i do that even though i am here on my third 30 day stamp in a row?

ANy advide would be greatly received.

Shouldn't be any problems at all, due to the current circumstances. I bet you a beer that they will give you an extension, Steve! :o

You could always apply for a 7 or 10 days extension at your local immigration office, to be on the safe side. Cost: 1,900 Baht.

Shouldn't be any problems at all, due to the current circumstances. I bet you a beer that they will give you an extension, Steve! :D

Hahaha.....you're on. I will get down to the Hua Hin Immi Office now, wish me luck, i've heard all the horror stories about that place!

I'll let you know how i get on, and when you can buy me that beer....... :o

Shouldn't be any problems at all, due to the current circumstances. I bet you a beer that they will give you an extension, Steve! :D

Hahaha.....you're on. I will get down to the Hua Hin Immi Office now, wish me luck, i've heard all the horror stories about that place!

I'll let you know how i get on, and when you can buy me that beer....... :o

Just returned form the Hua Hin immigration office, they were great. I was told i would not be charged overstay, even though i cannot leave the country until December 10th. I obviously have to prove i have attempted to leave through showing my previous tickets but i would be fine. I only hope this is the case when i reach the airport!

I didn't have to buy an extension of any kind so thankfully, it looks at the moment as though things will ok.

I also must add that Air Asia have been absolutely fantastic with all of this. They have changed, cancelled and rebooked flights with absolutely no question or problem.

So 'George' thanks for your advice and i think i owe you a couple of beers!! :D