Suvarnabhumi Siege Ends, Airport To Open Friday

george

I keep seeing BITEC for check-in in threads. What have missed? I use a net cafe so not online for hours. I'm flying Brit Airways on 7th at 00:35. (supposedly!) Any info on where I should be checking in? Don't wanna arrive at swampy 6 hours before flight and be told I should have gone to BITEC 10 hours ago.

Also what and where is BITEC in case I have to go there. I'm a bit worried now.

Heeeelp!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a post a while back saying Jetstar passengers are still heading to Phuket....that's probably because it's nearly impossible to get a refund or even a rescheduling from Jetsatr, the worst airline I've ever flown with. People here (Australia) don't realise that just because the airport or government house are ocupied you are perfectly safe in 99% of Thailand, including Bangkok or Phuket. Not many more will be booking for the next year or so. I'll be back in July.

good evening (well here is morning :o )

first of all i beg all of you to excuse me for my awful english and maybe for posting in the wrong discussion (this is my first post here)

I have just registered but i've been reading you the last week. I think the reason is quite obvious

I'm an italian girl and i have a flight to Bangkok the 9 of january (and the flight to come back to italy the 20 of february)

I don't feel safe at all at the moment (and I am very sorry for this situation in your beautiful country, i hope -not for me but for all the people in Thailand - that you will find soon a way out, but this seem very difficult at the moment) to come in your country.

I kwnow you don't have the answer to my question (to come or not) but what do you think is going to happen?

I really don't kwnow what to do. I can cancell my booking paying penalties of course but maybe is too soon to decide?

thank you all

giovanna

Ciao Giovanna,

Your English is not bad at all.

You are one month out from an arrival to BKK, and don't depart until 5-6 weeks after that. The airport situation should be regular by then in both directions. I doubt that whatever government is in place will allow this travesty to happen again. If I were in your shoes, I'd stick to your plan and not worry about it.

Take the usual precautions for any international travel, trust your instincts, be aware of dangerous situations and avoid them. You will have a wonderful holiday. :D

David

If you lot choose to listen to all the doom mongers on here and cancel your flight, then you dont deserve a refund in my opinion ! Look at the headlines on the news "THE PAD HAVE LEFT THE AIRPORT !" What more do want to hear ? Its over !!

If you have a flight booked to Thailand then keep it, and consider yourself as one of the lucky ones ! :o

Yes I kwnow I am taxin.

but i'm not rich at all, i work in a shop and this trip to thailand will be my only holiday in a year, I kwnow that to compare this to the problem of a whole country seems foolish and insulting, but it's still a problem to me: it would be too expensive for me to buy a new ticket to fly back to italy in the event of a new airport closure maybe in february.

regards

giovanna

Ciao Giovanna,

Your English is not bad at all.

You are one month out from an arrival to BKK, and don't depart until 5-6 weeks after that. The airport situation should be regular by then in both directions. I doubt that whatever government is in place will allow this travesty to happen again. If I were in your shoes, I'd stick to your plan and not worry about it.

Take the usual precautions for any international travel, trust your instincts, be aware of dangerous situations and avoid them. You will have a wonderful holiday. :o

David

grazie David

yes this is exatly what i would like to do, i'm looking forward ...

Well my flight is with qatar and i can cancell it till the first day before leaving. I think i will continue to read, hoping the best for Thailand.

thank you

g

First commercial flight lands at Suvarnabhumi after besieging ended

Thai Airways International's Flight TG2109 became the first commercial flight to land at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport Wednesday afternoon after the People's Alliance for Democracy ended its demonstration there.

The flight from Phuket landed at 2:10 pm.

Source: The Nation - 03 December 2008

Please keep this thread on topic and discuss the airport opening, and related flight issues.

We do not discuss politics or exchange rates or terrorism in this thread. Several posts with personal insults and off topics has been removed.

Thanks!~

/Admin

grazie David

yes this is exatly what i would like to do, i'm looking forward ...

Well my flight is with qatar and i can cancell it till the first day before leaving. I think i will continue to read, hoping the best for Thailand.

thank you

g

Hi Giovanna, I am sure you will be ok for travel by then, I am flying from UK to Chiang Mai on 23/12 and back on 02/01 and I believe it wont be a problem. Just keep your wits about you, as you would traveling in any foreign country, and you will have a lovely time in a wonderful country.

The recent problems arise from internal politics, the Thai people are very friendly, and i don't believe will involve (on purpose) any visitors.

have a great time.

FF :o

Hi all,

Currently I am stuck in Cambodia. I just contacted my airline company and they told me I can have my normal flight in coming saturday night (Eva Air, to AMS). There is a catch however, I am expected to checkin at BITEC.

- Can anybody tell me how long it would take to reach BITEC from Swampy and how easy that is?

- Are taxi's back at the airport already too?

I am trying to catch my Bkk Air flight to get from Phnom Phen to Bangkok, arriving around 11:00. If they have no delay, incoming flight had a 2 hour delay..... Have to be back at the airport in the evening.

Any advice welcome. Khob khun krab. Keep on smiling :o

If you lot choose to listen to all the doom mongers on here and cancel your flight, then you dont deserve a refund in my opinion ! Look at the headlines on the news "THE PAD HAVE LEFT THE AIRPORT !" What more do want to hear ? Its over !!

If you have a flight booked to Thailand then keep it, and consider yourself as one of the lucky ones ! :o

Yes I kwnow I am taxin.

but i'm not rich at all, i work in a shop and this trip to thailand will be my only holiday in a year, I kwnow that to compare this to the problem of a whole country seems foolish and insulting, but it's still a problem to me: it would be too expensive for me to buy a new ticket to fly back to italy in the event of a new airport closure maybe in february.

regards

giovanna

There will not be another airport closure in the near future. Political problems in Thailand barely have much of an effect on tourism as people like to think. Thats unless of course they are closing down airports !

Try not to listen to all the negativity on here, most people havent a clue what they are talking about. A lot of people on here are very bored, and there only excitement in life is putting people off traveling to Thailand. The siege has ended, the protesters have left and flights will resume.

Dont worry and enjoy your holiday in Thailand ! :D

British Airways Update:

British Airways is operating a special flight from Phuket to London on Friday 5th December morning local time.

The flight BA1010 on 05 December departs from Phuket at 0430 and arrives Heathrow T5 at 1405 local time. This special British Airways service will be operated by a Boeing 777.

British Airways will take Qantas and BA ticketed customers who affected by the disruption in Bangkok first.

Source: BA 2008-12-03

Nortwest Airlines Update:

With the planned re-opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport, the Northwest first planned flight will be as followed:

05 December - NW 21 - Narita to Bangkok

06 December - NW 22 - Bangkok to Narita and continue to USA

Source: Northwest Airlines 2008-12-03

The airport may open but how many of the airlines are going to want to fly into a airport under the threat of being closed down again?

Good point! It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next few day or so. I hope for all our sakes the other airline companies just write this off as an aberration and not part of the usual entertainment!

Until it happens again. Maybe a re-think is needed on how they use one airport for the international traffic whereas most countries will use more than one. U Tapao and Don Muang along with others could be used on a more permanent basis?

Then again, maybe not.

Hi Everyone,

I've been watching these threads over the past few days and enjoyed seeing everyone's opinions on what has been happening.

I'm worried though as I have a flight to BKK on Monday (8th December) that is due to land at BKK on Tuesday 9th December. It is with Etihad Airways.

Can anyone give me your opinion on whether or not you think it will go ahead or not? I'd still really like to visit Thailand despite all that has gone on.

My travel agent has said that they won't know until at least Friday whether or not it has been cancelled or not.

Thanks,

Jon.

Hi all,

Currently I am stuck in Cambodia. I just contacted my airline company and they told me I can have my normal flight in coming saturday night (Eva Air, to AMS). There is a catch however, I am expected to checkin at BITEC.

- Can anybody tell me how long it would take to reach BITEC from Swampy and how easy that is?

- Are taxi's back at the airport already too?

I am trying to catch my Bkk Air flight to get from Phnom Phen to Bangkok, arriving around 11:00. If they have no delay, incoming flight had a 2 hour delay..... Have to be back at the airport in the evening.

Any advice welcome. Khob khun krab. Keep on smiling :o

Bitec is quite a long way from the airport, but fast highways all the way - I think maybe 30 minutes in a taxi, but more than 200 baht, including airport surcharge.

Its on the right side of town, but the airport's only exit is on the North side, so you go North to get out airport, then double back to get South to Bangna Trad highway to go to Bitec. I would prefer to go along the main highway into town and then turn down Sirinkarin Road to Bitec. Traffic should not be a problem...

SC

Hi Everyone,

I've been watching these threads over the past few days and enjoyed seeing everyone's opinions on what has been happening.

I'm worried though as I have a flight to BKK on Monday (8th December) that is due to land at BKK on Tuesday 9th December. It is with Etihad Airways.

Can anyone give me your opinion on whether or not you think it will go ahead or not? I'd still really like to visit Thailand despite all that has gone on.

My travel agent has said that they won't know until at least Friday whether or not it has been cancelled or not.

Thanks,

Jon.

I think you will be ok Jon.

Have a great time.

FF

Update/Summary:

THAI and other airliners resume flights

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International is flying six special flights from Suvarnabhumi on Wednesday, the first since the airport was shut down on November 25.

TG 9939 to Sydney, leaving at 5.25pm

TG 3159 to New Delhi, leaving at 7.50pm

TG 6409 to Narita, leaving at 10.35pm

TG 9209 to Frankfurt, leaving at 11.40pm

TG 6589 to Seoul, leaving at 11.45pm

TG 9509 to Copenhagen, leaving at 0.50am

Passengers with confirmed tickets for the flights are required to check in at Bitec at least 7 hours before departure.

Today, THAI also landed Flight TG2109 from Phuket at 2pm.

THAI said in a statement that it is considering to have more flights land at Suvarnabhumi. For more information, passengers can call 02-356-1111 or 02-545-4000 or check www.thaiair.com or www.thaiairways.com.

Tassapon Bijleveld, chief executive officer of Thai AirAsia Co, said the airline would resume all of 108 daily flights at Suvarnabhumi Airport from December 5, 2008 onward.

The first flight, FD3232, will depart from Suvarnabhumi Airport at 6.20am to Chiang Mai.

Etihad, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, has so far flown over 2,000 passengers on 5 relief flights out of U-Tapao to its home base of Abu Dhabi and onwards to Europe, Africa and other parts of the Middle East. A further 378 passengers will travel early morning of December 4 on the airline's six special flights.

Captain Richard Hill, the airline's executive vice president operations, said: "We've flown in extra staff from our Abu Dhabi headquarters to Thailand to help our full time team based there to try and help run the operation more smoothly and efficiently for travellers who understandably are keen to return home as soon as possible to see their loved ones. "

All passengers whose flights have been canceled are asked to contact Etihad Airways so as to confirm the flights they will be on, by calling +66 2 253 0099, or by visiting the town office at the 11th Floor, Tonson Tower, Ploenchit Road, for updated flight and logistic details. Passengers should not go to U-Tapao without first confirming their flights.

The airline suspended its double daily service to Suvarnabhumi Airport following its closure on November 25. Services will be resume when Suvarnabhumi Airport is fully reopened.

Since Wednesday, November 26, Jet Airways has been operating relief flights into and out of U-Tapao. Using a Boeing 737-800 aircraft, Jet Airways has uplifted close to 1000 passengers to date, and is currently reviewing the situation in order to plan subsequent flights, in the days to come.

Like yesterday, it will on Thursday Dec 4 operates two flights - one from U-Tapao and the other from Kolkata.

For the convenience of its customers, Jet Airways' has also set up a coordination cell for managing the bookings and handling of its stranded travellers. Customers wanting to travel out of Thailand may call the Jet Airways Bangkok city office to register themselves on telephone number 02 696 8980 or 02 696 8975-8

During the week-long closure, THAI operated a number of outbound and inbound flights through U-Tapao International Airport.

On Nov 28, it flied 7 inbound flights. On Nov 29, there were 4 inbound and 2 outbound. On Nov 30, there were 13 inbound and 18 outbound. On Dec 1, there were 15 inbound and 13 outbound. On Dec 2, there 17 inbound and outbound flights. On Dec 3, there are 12 inbound and 15 outbound.

In addition, Thai Airways International has been able to operate a limited number of domestic and international flights from Chiang Mai and Phuket airports.

During the day of December 1 st , it was possible for Thai Airways International to remove a number of its jets from Suvarnabhumi, which had been prevented from flying due to the airport having been closed to passengers and flight crew. These aircraft have been relocated to other airports in Thailand where they can provide extra capacity for international and domestic services to assist the tens of thousands of passengers still awaiting flights home.

As a further concession to help passengers, Thai Airways International has announced that the validity of tickets and travel related documents already issued, plus Royal Orchid Plus award ticket period will be extended until January 31, 2009.

-- The Nation 2088-12-03

Update/Summary:

THAI and other airliners resume flights

THAI said in a statement that it is considering to have more flights land at Suvarnabhumi. For more information, passengers can call 02-356-1111 or 02-545-4000 or check www.thaiair.com or www.thaiairways.com.

-- The Nation 2088-12-03

What options are people choosing when dialing these numbers to enable them to actually talk to a real person??? ...I have not had any luck talking to anyone except for the machine or listening to music for over 20mins in my attempts so far :o

Edited by Tex79

I really hope that thai authorities now understand it is important to limit access to international airports so it will not be so easy for people to take over a large airport in the future.

They could perhaps do like in Manila where they dont allow non passengers into the terminal building.

Have you had experience in operating an airport before?

I know nothing about what needs to be done to safely reopen the airport. I must rely solely on the knowledge of the experts. Yesterday morning, the AOT issued a statement claiming that Suvarnabhumi would not reopen before 15 December pending relevant safety checks, then later in the day the same AOT is claiming that it can be opened by the 5th, a difference of ten days. Both claims, issued mere hours apart, cannot be simultaneously true which doesn't speak well for the credibility of those involved who should be in-the-know.

anybody who has bought anything or contracted any work in LOS knows this conundrum all to well. i'll believe it when i see it. even then maybe not. that seems to work well here.

The airport may open but how many of the airlines are going to want to fly into a airport under the threat of being closed down again?

I was suppose to fly in tomorrow from the U.S. However,Korean Air will not rebook right now, even for 7 days days from now.

I was suppose to fly in tomorrow from the U.S. However,Korean Air will not rebook right now, even for 7 days days from now.

Drama Queens !

The Thais will get on with it and I envisage few airlines will bottle coming to Bangkok (some may back out for economic/strategic reasons)

I am booked out for 9th Dec and I am hopeful that my airline will be fully operational by then. if not, it is cancellation, Cambodia, Malaysia, UK !

my wife just called up airasia and her flight this friday (5th) in the evening is confirmed. she is flying from chiang mai to suvarnabhumi. looks like they are speeding up the opening of the airport.

How did she contact airasia. I have made at least 70 calls in the last 3 days at all times of the day, always engaged. I have sent 2 e-mails and have had no reply.

The numbers I have are 02 515 9999 also a Chiang Mai number 05 390 4800 (They never answer the call)

yeah, me too. have been calling air asia (02-5159999) two days ago and it is always "number busy"........ darn!

my flight from ubon to suvarnabhum on 2 dec was cancelled and hopefully i could fly on 5 dec.

Edited by kean

I'm pretty happy this has come to a peaceful end -at least by the moment-... even though I understand the social-political instability this might produce for the country with all the people that ALREADY loose their jobs in all branches of the touristic industry and -even worse- with the high tension that the economical World crisis + the lost of the high season means.

It will take -at least- this whole season (Dec-Apr) to regain the trust and will of tourism to return to Thailand... particularly 'cause travelers -not only- canceled their trip here, but already re-arrange it somewhere else for sure... it's a shame...

Could you think all this trouble makers would have an insurance cover to help and save the touristic industry and all the fired employees?... Yeah right! :o

Good point! It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next few day or so. I hope for all our sakes the other airline companies just write this off as an aberration and not part of the usual entertainment!

There is only one safe (and reliable) travel hub in SE Asia and that is Changi. Thailand could never compete with Changi in a hundred years.

Singapore has a "can do" attitude and that will never change.

I was meant to be flying from Doha to Swampy tomorrow evening, Qatar Airways have still not confirmed when they will be able to fly into BKK. They also informed me that they will not contact people when they receive notification that they can fly I will have to ring them every couple of hours to find out what the situation is?!

Judging the ammount of flight taking off and planned I dont beleive it will be that long before the airlines receive a communication WELCOME TO THAILAND come and enjoy. (no pun intended)