Translation Of New 15 Day Exempt Entry Rule

I have lived in Thailand since April 1987, and I have never really inderstood why people can't get the correc t visa to suit their stay.

On occassions when I am working on in country projects my company gets me a WP and when, like now I am working on overseas projects I simple come back every 8 weeks or so on a 30 day exempt visa.

Surely it is not so difficult to get the correct visa, for example if you intend to stay one year then you can get a visa to suit. Why do people have to do "Visa Runs"?

You just don't get it stander do you.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The people this will affect are the back packers who are touring south east Asia predominantly by land transport. They will only get 15 days in country which may not be sufficient thus forcing them into a border run. Of course they could all toe the "TV holier than thou brigade" line and get tourist visas for each and every country they visit but these are the people, casual travellers, the exemption rule is set for.

Lets look at this another way. India has no visa exemption stamp. You need a proper tourist visa to enter the country. Period. And believe me, India is FULL of back-packers - all of whom managed to get the correct visa for the length of time they intend to stay.

I believe the UK, USA and other European countries are even harder.

All the Thai authorities are doing is asking people to attend an embassy or consulate and get the correct visa if they intend to stay for over 15 or 30 days.

It's more than fair.

If you intend on coming to Thailand on holiday, a travel agent in your own country can usually sort the visas out for you when you book your ticket.............not many genuine holiday makers book their tickets the day before travel.

As other posters have said, this is to stop the people who have abused the system by staying for years on visa exemptions, with no visible means of income.

Still waiting for the day they make it mandatory to be married or have child dependents in order to get a Non O

i have no doubt it coming soon, so using the "visting friends" as reason to come to Thailand just wont cut it anymore some real proof will be needed. however as long as the Non O route is still available i suggest many still use this route if possible unless you are a wanted person back in your home country

visa runs are a pain in da butt, doing 2 a month or flying out, will be costly have wayyyyyy too time consuming

Edited by Nouf

Surely this is a reaction to the airport closure and the expected downturn in numbers.

In other words, you can get 30 days and stay as long as you like provided you do it by air (paying lots of money!) but you only get 15 days by land to discourage that route.

not exactly

one of my friend went to border yesterday by Visa Run 1 day Pattaya-Cambodia and he obtenaid a 30 days entry.

i think police control the "true" tourist and people who are working illegaly...

he is canadian, he come in thailand every year for 2 months, policeman asked him if he came for hollidays only.

The information is obviously taking its time filtering down.

I just phoned a busy visa run company in Pattaya who said they have not yet heard of any new rule. I will contact him when his visa run customers return from the border this afternoon to find out what stamps they got. Obviously yesterday was still ok.

I have lived in Thailand since April 1987, and I have never really inderstood why people can't get the correc t visa to suit their stay.

On occassions when I am working on in country projects my company gets me a WP and when, like now I am working on overseas projects I simple come back every 8 weeks or so on a 30 day exempt visa.

Surely it is not so difficult to get the correct visa, for example if you intend to stay one year then you can get a visa to suit. Why do people have to do "Visa Runs"?

You just don't get it stander do you.

By his/her own admission, Stander does not get it.

How about you enlighten us on why people should be able to stay in Thailand, or any other country, without obtaining the proper visa for their purpose of stay?

So the population of border towns such as Nong Khai and Mae Sai are going to see an influx of raggedy farang moving there to live so they can cross the border every two weeks?

Maybe I should look at buying cheap apartment buildings there before the Thai's realise what's going on and jack up the price?

Seems like a business opportunity to me

So the visa run of choice could now be bus to KL or Sillypore then fly back using one of the sheep transports like Tiger Air.

Why not just get legal (get a proper visa)? You'll feel better about it and save money too :o

I wasn't referring to myself personally and if I had been I'd feel quite OK about it.

What's how I or anybody else choose to legally live here got to do with you anyway?