Rough Areas.

jamesthefirst

Hi,

Been in CM a few weeks. From my experiences here so far, I would say that the 'Farang Hotspots' (Lady bar and disco areas) seem to attract a lot rougher kind of farang than the Bangkok ones.

On TWO nights within the last week, I have almost come to blows with a different, drunken farang who wanted someone smaller than him to fight. These were in areas near to Spicy, and another spot which name I have forgotten.

Would anybody agree or disagree? I am a likeable guy by nature, mind my own business, very unconfrontational.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Been in CM a few weeks. From my experiences here so far, I would say that the 'Farang Hotspots' (Lady bar and disco areas) seem to attract a lot rougher kind of farang than the Bangkok ones.

On TWO nights within the last week, I have almost come to blows with a different, drunken farang who wanted someone smaller than him to fight. These were in areas near to Spicy, and another spot which name I have forgotten.

Would anybody agree or disagree? I am a likeable guy by nature, mind my own business, very unconfrontational.

No 'Bangkok elite' up here. :o

Hi,

Perhaps you will find that sticking with the mainstream tourist bars will be less problematic. I have heard of others getting into fights at Spicys, never actually been there, but if you want to hunt down cheapos then you will be in competition with the rest of the tightwads looking for the same.

Hi,

Yep, Spicy and similar places do have a certain reputation, and attract the more objectional Farangs. I see this as something as a public service as it keeps these louts away from other places. Just avoid Spicy unless you fit in that category.

Of course, a couple of drunken Farangs staggering around trying to land a punch is mere comedy. Have seen some awsome gang fights between locals with flying furniture, waving machetes, slingshots and even guns. Try Chiang Mai land most weekends!

i reckon that spicy at about 3am is about the roughest area in chiang mai. like newcastle's bigg market on a quiet night, almost.

Wai Aye man :o

Guess you've never been to some of the Tha Yai Karaoke places around Kamtieng at that time in the morning then?

Yes spicys often attracts a very unruly crowd.

Beer + Cheap Hookers + Confined Space + 20 somethings = Disaster

Yes, its like an English youth pub.. "what you lookin at?"

Really cant think of any other options for you after the main drag shuts... personally i would just go to the Jack Daniels Van next door.

Be so nice to have a decent Jazz club here.

If you want to enjoy CM social scene forget the farang areas, there are so many Thai restaurants/bars that are fun to go to - but you may need to get a 'tour guide' :o

One tip for you: Tawan Dang nightclub/restaurant, great place, zero ki nok!

edit: slightly unfair, i have had one or two nice nights at Spicy long ago, but I think it just depends on the mood of the place at the time - And about now, the mood here in the north is not good!

Edited by SomNamNah

Hi,

"and another spot which name I have forgotten"

It (this place) must have been really something "if you cannot remember what it's name was" :o

Edited by john b good

Spicy has always been good to me - but like the OP, I'm a lover, not a fighter. In fact, the doctor told me I was allergic to fighting - I tend to come out in cuts and bruises!\

The closest we ever came to trouble on our weekend jaunts to CM was at the big pool bar on Moonmuang (near Mandalay nightclub and mad dog)..it has since been called 'Sharkeys', now it's closed... It was open late and had a few poll tables. I remember a few unruly Glaswegians at one time and a crazed Thai guy busted some kung <deleted> moves in mid air to ward them off - all seemed pretty harmless. But I guess if you're unlucky and bump into idiots looking for trouble, well...

PS if anyone can tell me the 'original name' of the bar please, that'd be grand.

I find my home town of Philadelphia (rated the most dangerous city in the USA 3 years in a row) gets a lot rougher after 2:30 when the bars close down and 1/2 the people are drunk out of their minds.

The big city where I live Detroit thinks that you have a lot of nerve. Our Detroiter's think that they have been under :o rated in your ratings!

I find my home town of Philadelphia (rated the most dangerous city in the USA 3 years in a row) gets a lot rougher after 2:30 when the bars close down and 1/2 the people are drunk out of their minds.

The big city where I live Detroit thinks that you have a lot of nerve. Our Detroiter's think that they have been under :o rated in your ratings!

There is a reason I don't live in Philly any more :D But as I recall Detroit held the record for 10+ years I guess the Detroiter's moved to Philly for work in the ship yards when the big 3 started laying off.

Try Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea. Walking around there at night unarmed will more than likely result in you losing a limb at the least. If you get caught by a real nasty bunch they are probably gonna eat you as well.

The police more or less condone prejudicial executions there.

Nah, Chiang Mai isn't a dangerous place by world standards, but like anywhere, you will find trouble if you are looking for it.

Situational awareness is what's kept me alive over the years in some very nasty places throughout the world.

Try Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea. Walking around there at night unarmed will more than likely result in you losing a limb at the least. If you get caught by a real nasty bunch they are probably gonna eat you as well.

Nah, Chiang Mai isn't a dangerous place by world standards, but like anywhere, you will find trouble if you are looking for it.

Situational awareness is what's kept me alive over the years in some very nasty places throughout the world.

personally i am always wary of trouble when blinky bill is around. but then again i am on his side, so no worries :o

From my experiences here so far, I would say that the 'Farang Hotspots' (Lady bar and disco areas) seem to attract a lot rougher kind of farang than the Bangkok ones.

You quoted one area in the whole of Chiang Mai and compare it to that of areas of that poohole Bangkok. Yep, Spicy is rough but suggest you spend more time here and make up your mind.

personally i am always wary of trouble when blinky bill is around. but then again i am on his side, so no worries :o

A few years ago, I was threatened with bodily harm on TV on a regular basis. However, after Blinky Bill added me to his friend's list, there was no more of that. :D

The trouble with spicey is it can get too crowded. I remember being quite scared in there one night - I'm no fan of crowds at the best of times, but this one occasion was something else.

Plus there loads of gits who want to start rubbing your shoulders when all you're looking for is a quiet piss. Who on earth wants a massage when they're urinating? I've never sussed that one.

Thanks for those replies. The night in question when I was near to Spicy, I actually wasn't inside, just nearby.

I went in there only once...never again, found the majority of the freelancers rough as old boots anyway. The farangs looked a nasty bunch as well, and the dancing on the dancefloor, I think those people were trying to make it rain.

The trouble with spicey is it can get too crowded. I remember being quite scared in there one night - I'm no fan of crowds at the best of times, but this one occasion was something else.

Plus there loads of gits who want to start rubbing your shoulders when all you're looking for is a quiet piss. Who on earth wants a massage when they're urinating? I've never sussed that one.

Hans,

I suggest you get yourself out a bit more. I think its common practise to find masseurs in the toilets, at most Thai nightclubs in CM (V-Club, Horizon, Fashion House, Mandalay, The Dark, etc.)

Yep first time I encountered this, I was like '<deleted>', :o but now, these masseurs just seem to fit in with the scenery (so to speak).

if you slip them a 5 and tell them that you are feeling a little hot, they will do a quick reach around when nobody is looking :o

but really - a primary reason they are there is to keep the bathrooms safe as traditionally thai bathrooms are places for drugs, sex and violence of which the owners do not want happening in their bathrooms.

if you slip them a 5 and tell them that you are feeling a little hot, they will do a quick reach around when nobody is looking :o

but really - a primary reason they are there is to keep the bathrooms safe as traditionally thai bathrooms are places for drugs, sex and violence of which the owners do not want happening in their bathrooms.

What a load of crap!! Are you a complete imbecile?

Hans,

I suggest you get yourself out a bit more. I think its common practise to find masseurs in the toilets, at most Thai nightclubs in CM (V-Club, Horizon, Fashion House, Mandalay, The Dark, etc.)

Yep first time I encountered this, I was like '<deleted>', :o but now, these masseurs just seem to fit in with the scenery (so to speak).

In 18 years of visiting Thailand I have never seen a masseur in a public toilet.

Hans,

In 18 years of visiting Thailand I have never seen a masseur in a public toilet.

try a toilet in a night club

"In 18 years of visiting Thailand I have never seen a masseur in a public toilet."

I have many times. It is hard to "go" with someone rubbing your shoulders at the same time. I laugh though and shok it off. No harm. Funny though.

OK, i'll bite, I want to make sure you guys really know what you are talking about, where is this Spicy place. I'm open to many things and this sounds interesting. Thanks!

It's on Chaiyaphum Road, just a little south of the entrance to Tuskers soi.

Haven't been in there for years, it's not for crusty old farts like myself.

OK, i'll bite, I want to make sure you guys really know what you are talking about, where is this Spicy place. I'm open to many things and this sounds interesting. Thanks!

Water sports?

Man, you're kink in a freak kinda way... :o