Siam City Fitness To Close

Ijustwannateach

Something of a gay-circuit landmark in Bangkok, the gym, attached to the Dusit Thani Hotel at the corner of Rama IV and Silom, will close for business on Christmas Day this year. While all gyms open to the public in Thailand have their share of gay members, Siam/City Fitness has been known among gym aficionados as being a particularly gay and tourist-accessible landmark in LOS. With daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly rates, it was easy to enter for all categories of foreigner in Bangkok, and relatively cheap besides- meaning that Thais of middle class income could also afford it, unlike the pricier upmarket places like California. To cap things off, it was convenient both for the BTS and the new subway.

I haven't found anyone there yet who could explain clearly to me why it's closing- it could be simply a remodelling- but they've redirected their membership to a gym at the Empire Tower on Sathorn, which I know nothing about at the moment. Perhaps all the new infrastructure around Silom has pushed property values up so high the owners can't afford the new rents? The gym was always busy the hours I went there, though.

It has been one of the friendliest and least snobbish gyms I've used in LOS. And yes, it's quite cruisy. Here's hoping it'll reincarnate itself somehow in the near future.

"Steven"

• 2 weeks later...

Siam City Fitness has redirected their membership to a gym which they claim will be opening in about a month. It's unclear to me at this point if it is the same management or another gym entirely. The gym will be in the Empire tower near BTS Chong Nonsi (the next station from Sala Daeng)- the tower is kind of catty-korner to the station. The poster put up about the new gym makes it look like one of these glass-lined typical office-building gyms for little office ladies who want to do stairmaster and aerobics (shudder). Siam City Fitness also claims that memberships will be continued from the new opening date (whenever that will be) uninterrupted by the month of no service- so if you still have 6 months, you'll have 6 months at the new place.

More information on this as it becomes available.

"Steven"

hey Steven,

I'm actually looking for a new gym.. may I ask how much you're paying/month (so I don't get ripped off when I ask them)..? I heard about the gym in some other forum.

is there a lot more men than women that go there? don't want to feel weird if it's dominated by men... hmm...

anyway, thanks for the info! keep us updated.

Siam City Fitness has redirected their membership to a gym which they claim will be opening in about a month.  It's unclear to me at this point if it is the same management or another gym entirely.  The gym will be in the Empire tower near BTS Chong Nonsi (the next station from Sala Daeng)- the tower is kind of catty-korner to the station.  The poster put up about the new gym makes it look like one of these glass-lined typical office-building gyms for little office ladies who want to do stairmaster and aerobics (shudder).  Siam City Fitness also claims that memberships will be continued from the new opening date (whenever that will be) uninterrupted by the month of no service- so if you still have 6 months, you'll have 6 months at the new place.

More information on this as it becomes available.

"Steven"

Actually, Endlessnights, I was getting ready to ask the same questions. Most of the gyms here are pretty gay (and accept women just fine) but they're long-term- they want you to sign up for a year at a time. Since my gym just closed for a MONTH, I have to figure out what to do for the next month. Anybody know any good one-day-fee gyms around Bangkok (and not the rust-a-thons for the jocks in Lumphini, please!)?

"Steven"

I will most likely join California Fitness (www.californiafitness.co.th) .. if you search the health forum you'll find some more info about this and other gyms. but they might want you to sign a contract too.

I'm paying like 1800Bt/month I think for Fitness First.. but I didn't sign a contract. I love the gym, facilities, and lounge area thing. the classes are great with three different rooms (mind/body studio, spinning studio, and aerobics studio).. but they don't provide towels and it's just more to carry in your gym bag.

I'm not too familiar with where everything is, but I'm looking for a fitness first or california fitness near where I am now (around soi ari).. I'll be making phone calls soon :o

goodluck!!

Actually, Endlessnights, I was getting ready to ask the same questions.  Most of the gyms here are pretty gay (and accept women just fine) but they're long-term- they want you to sign up for a year at a time.  Since my gym just closed for a MONTH, I have to figure out what to do for the next month.  Anybody know any good one-day-fee gyms around Bangkok (and not the rust-a-thons for the jocks in Lumphini, please!)?

"Steven"