8 Weeks For Tourist Visa To Uk?!

I wonder if anyone can advsie what the current waiting time is for a tourist visa to UK. My Thai G/F wants to come here (Aberdeen, UK) for a 3 week holiday in January 2005, meet my friends and family etc. After her visit/interview at the Embassy in BKK today she's been told 8 weeks is the waiting time. I was under the impression that 10 days would be the maximum wait (as stated on the British Embassy website).

She has a good job in senior hotel management, owns land, has a restaraunt etc and has plenty of funds to finance her own travel/holiday, she has documents to prove all this.

She has no intention of settling here and I certainly have no intention of making her settle here!

Is she getting the run-around?

Thanks for any advice.....

Try asking "scouser", I am suprised they think she will stay there, they have never seen a winter there!!!! ie the roof of B & Q in Garthdee falling in due to the weight of snow a few years back!!!!!!!!

My GF got her visa in 3 working days, but no interveiw (no my name's not Blunkett!) give the visa section a call and ask them or seng them an e mail.

Ask them the question.

Thanks for your input guys,

Unfortunately it would seem I can't contact anyone in the Embassy till Monday regarding visa enquiries. You've confirmed my suspicions that something isn't

right though. Apparently the first person who interviewed the G/F was asking for my passport details - why? She has proven sufficient funds to travel/pay for accommodation etc on her own - I think she may have made that point (hopefully in a polite manner :o )

andyadam: yes, it's not the best time of year to visit sunny Aberdeen - it would certainly make a lasting impression if the snow came down like that winter :D I take it you're from these parts or spent some time here?

Apparently the first person who interviewed the G/F was asking for my passport details - why?

On the assumption that your g/f has told the visa officer that she'll be visiting you then a copy of your passport will be required as evidence that you were in Thailand when she claims to have met you.

Scouse.

OK, I see, thanks Scouse. Apologies for more questions, but does that mean it would have been easier/quicker for her if she hadn't mentioned visiting a friend in UK? I assume my bank details etc etc will not be required as my G/F has proven sufficient funds?

Mentioning you at least gives the visit a purpose, so it won't have an adverse effect on the application per se. Providing that your g/f has sufficient funds to pay for the trip then the visa officer doesn't necessarily need to see your bank statements but it can help if you show them anyway just in case the visa officer thinks her funds are insufficient. I don't know how much money your g/f earns but a visa officers' old trick is to refuse the application on the basis that the applicant has spent a proportionately large amount of their salary on a holiday, the corollary being that they don't accept that the applicant will leave the UK at the end of their stay. On balance I think it's probably best if you provide a letter of sponsorship too. This should briefly detail your relationship and your intentions. It should also state that although your g/f is paying for her own trip you are more than willing to financially assist if needs be.

Scouse.

Mentioning you at least gives the visit a purpose, so it won't have an adverse effect on the application per se. Providing that your g/f has sufficient funds to pay for the trip then the visa officer doesn't necessarily need to see your bank statements but it can help if you show them anyway just in case the visa officer thinks her funds are insufficient. I don't know how much money your g/f earns but a visa officers' old trick is to refuse the application on the basis that the applicant has spent a proportionately large amount of their salary on a holiday, the corollary being that they don't accept that the applicant will leave the UK at the end of their stay. On balance I think it's probably best if you provide a letter of sponsorship too. This should briefly detail your relationship and your intentions. It should also state that although your g/f is paying for her own trip you are more than willing to financially assist if needs be.

Scouse.

Cheers Scouse, the G/F is quite an independent sort, and she thought everything would be straightforward without any support from myself. As far as her income/funds are concerned she was told this was well in order, however I believe she supplied bank statements but no pay slips, wherein might lie the problem? not sure. She's not keen for me to intervene and call the embassy - she thinks this would 'rock the boat' - again I'm not so sure. I didn't mention before, but she did spend 13 years working in Europe (not UK) running Thai restuarants, don't suppose this counts for anything? Anyways, the outcome at the moment is another 8 weeks is too long to wait & see each other again, and I'll be going there instead in January. I guess it would be worthwhile taking all the necessary documents with me should we have any more problems?

Hi Grobbarg,

Is she paying for herself through independence or because you're an Aberdonian? :o

Providing that she was lawfully in Europe for 13 years and wasn't required to leave then this should stand her in good stead when seeking the visa. The embassy will also need to see her pay slips and a letter from her employer stating for how long she has worked for the company and the date she is expected to resume work. As you are going to Thailand in January it may be beneficial to take your documents just in case.

Scouse.

Hi Grobbarg,

Is she paying for herself through independence or because you're an Aberdonian? :D

Providing that she was lawfully in Europe for 13 years and wasn't required to leave then this should stand her in good stead when seeking the visa. The embassy will also need to see her pay slips and a letter from her employer stating for how long she has worked for the company and the date she is expected to resume work. As you are going to Thailand in January it may be beneficial to take your documents just in case.

Scouse.

Yeah, nice one Scouse :D - 'spose you heard the one where the Aberdonian was hit on the back of the head by a falling penny??? Fortunately the G/F hasn't heard these stories (yet)! She's insisted on paying my flights but even as an Aberdonian I can't allow that!!! Her contract is up for renewal at the same hotel (of 2 years) in the new year, (which is why we thought January was a good time for her to visit)as far as I know this will be renewed for a further 2 years, so should be OK.

Will start collating all the necessary docs anyways. I'm still not sure where the 8 weeks delay comes from - I did actually receive an e-mail reply from the visa section stating 3-4 weeks was the norm for interview (which I thought the G/F already had :o .)

Thanks again for the input.

Just for your info......my Thai colleague just had her tourist visa to UK approved. It took her 3 working days........she has 2 M Baht in her account, employed here for the past 10 years and property in her name.

She is departing Jan 10 and back on Jan 25..............but she has been to Europe before, not UK.