Should I Get Single Entry Or Multi Entry

My wife and I are planning to go to Chiang Mai and spend 170 days there with her family.

The more I look into the visa options the more I confuse myself.

Any advice is appreciated.

Should i apply for Single entry for $65 - get an extension, then cross a border or apply for Multi entry non-immigrant for $175.

It looks like I need to cross a border regardless. Am I just paying $110 more for the multi entry, or is it a better option.

Appreciate any tips - travis

Single-entry non-O: admitted for 90 days, plus 60-day extension to visit Thai wife, plus border run 15 days, total 163 days. Not enough. You’ll have to splurge on a multiple-entry non-O, or with a single-entry non-O get a tourist visa or another single-entry non-O from a nearby Thai consulate.

--

Maestro

A multiple entry is best and will work out to about the same cost. Plus no trips to immigration and only 1 quick border run.

why no trips to immigration on a multi entry tourist visa?

Because he is not getting a tourist visa.

A multiple entry is best and will work out to about the same cost. Plus no trips to immigration and only 1 quick border run.

why no trips to immigration on a multi entry tourist visa?

Because he is not getting a tourist visa.

can you explain please how a multi entry non o works and what are the qualifications?

can you explain please how a multi entry non o works and what are the qualifications?

Any multipe entry non immigrant visa allows you to enter as many times as you want for a year and get a 90 day permit to stay. If you make an entry the day before it expires you can get another 90 days which means you can get about 15 months in the country total.

A non-o can be gotten to visit family, retirement if over 50 and in some cases to visit friends.

In the UK the conulate in Hull gives them to visit friends.

The O means other. So it can be issued for many reasons but that depends upon the consulates opinion.

another question re multi entry non 0.for example if during the 1st 90day stamp,say i wanted to do a trip to cambodia when returning would that shorten those 1 st 90days,or would i need to get a re entry stamp at immigration to keep the 1st 90 days intact?am currently on samui and have a retirement visa due to expire jan 2009,i forgot to season the 800,000 baht 3 months before expiry,hence the interest in the multi entry non o.

another question re multi entry non 0.for example if during the 1st 90day stamp,say i wanted to do a trip to cambodia when returning would that shorten those 1 st 90days,or would i need to get a re entry stamp at immigration to keep the 1st 90 days intact?am currently on samui and have a retirement visa due to expire jan 2009,i forgot to season the 800,000 baht 3 months before expiry,hence the interest in the multi entry non o.

When you return you would get another 90 days.

If you did the final entry a day before the Visa expires you would get another 90 days, making a total of 15 months.

You will not get a Multi Non O Visa in Asia unless you have a Thai Wife or Child.