Spirit House Restaurant

RogerL

Came to Chiang Mai in mid-November to live as retiree. Stayed at the Viangbua Mansion while looking for long term place to live. While here in 2006, saw a building across the street undergoing renovation and was completed on this visit. The name of the place is Spirit House. It is run by an American named Steve along with his Thai partner. The atmosphere is laid back with classical music playing and a large number of Thai antiques on display. The menu is handwritten on a spiral notebook and consists of both Thai and Western food. Steve comes by and discusses what is on the menu and any special requirements you might have. He has parking in back of the place. Prices are very reasonable.

Came to Chiang Mai in mid-November to live as retiree. Stayed at the Viangbua Mansion while looking for long term place to live. While here in 2006, saw a building across the street undergoing renovation and was completed on this visit. The name of the place is Spirit House. It is run by an American named Steve along with his Thai partner. The atmosphere is laid back with classical music playing and a large number of Thai antiques on display. The menu is handwritten on a spiral notebook and consists of both Thai and Western food. Steve comes by and discusses what is on the menu and any special requirements you might have. He has parking in back of the place. Prices are very reasonable.

I've been there several times. Steve's a nice guy. The restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere and great food. I wish it was closer to where I live!

Whilst I agree Steve and his partner are nice guys I've found the place can be very hit and miss with the service and the food. They'd be better off getting some decent staff rather than trying to do it all themselves.

The Tai Yai waiter is very cute though :o

• 6 months later...

Totally yummy food at the Spirit House, Steve is a natural host and an excellent creator of delicious food... he's also endeavouring to introduce cultural events on a fairly regular basis... Antoine Garth presented his madrigal group there the other night and we enjoyed a wonderful presentation of the birth of opera in Renaissance Italy... Steve served an Italian buffet which was great... :)

snip ... Antoine Garth presented his madrigal group there the other night and we enjoyed a wonderful presentation of the birth of opera in Renaissance Italy ... snip

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Shazza,

I would appreciate hearing more about the madrigal group ! Is this a Chiang Mai group, or were they just visiting ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

If possible a few more directions to the Spirit House resturant please.

There is a map here (Scroll down the list to find it):

Google Maps - Chiang Mai

It's on Viangbua Road almost opposite Viangbua Mansion. Coming up Chang Puek/Chottana Road from town, Viangbua is the first turning left immeidately after the Tanin Market/Rajapat intersection with traffic Signals.

I am a Spirit House Madrigal Singer. I should say was one up until the senseless murder of a brilliant man,

David Crisp, our fearless leader. It was him and Steve who thought of having the group and created the

ensemble of madrigal singers. No easy task, but David knew how to bring the love of this music to the

front lines. I am still dealing with his death as many in CM are. It would be very hard to follow his act and

bring back the singers (we decided it was pointless without David's enthusiasm) But it would be great to sing madrigals again. And yes yes yes, Steve is the one of the better hosts out here. Creative in the kitchen and sincere. If you want something different, that is the place, in back of Thinin market off Chang Puak (sorry, my spelling sucks) He make the best pate in CM as well as other off the wall dishes.

No menu really, he just asks, what you want and goes from there. Outrageous!!! Many thanks Steve!!!

Google Maps - Chiang Mai

It's on Viangbua Road almost opposite Viangbua Mansion. Coming up Chang Puek/Chottana Road from town, Viangbua is the first turning left immeidately after the Tanin Market/Rajapat intersection with traffic Signals.

I am a Spirit House Madrigal Singer. I should say was one up until the senseless murder of a brilliant man,

David Crisp, our fearless leader. It was him and Steve who thought of having the group and created the

ensemble of madrigal singers. No easy task, but David knew how to bring the love of this music to the

front lines. I am still dealing with his death as many in CM are. It would be very hard to follow his act and

bring back the singers (we decided it was pointless without David's enthusiasm) But it would be great to sing madrigals again. And yes yes yes, Steve is the one of the better hosts out here. Creative in the kitchen and sincere. If you want something different, that is the place, in back of Thinin market off Chang Puak (sorry, my spelling sucks) He make the best pate in CM as well as other off the wall dishes.

No menu really, he just asks, what you want and goes from there. Outrageous!!! Many thanks Steve!!!

Google Maps - Chiang Mai

Agree 100% about the Pate!!! Truly excellent! I should also refute my previous post in this thread made many months ago, they've got the place far better organised now with Steve concentrating on being the host, which he does so well! Ironically, and sadly, it was David's death that prompted me to give the place another try.

We gave it a try today evening, and food, atmosphere and Steve kept what was "promised" here. No trouble finding a free parking lot directly at the location (Going just the little entrance just right before "Spirit house", coming from Chotana Rd.), cosy places and decoration inside as well as outside - the garden around the chedi: a really mystic area, in its best meaning. Food really delicious, even though wifey sometimes is a bit "picky" she enjoyed the chicken breast and called it "worth the money" what actually means a great compliment (In fact a wonder, a wonder ...!). Steve: Informative, friendly, but not too talkative - just right and sympathic. Drinking water: Free! ;-)

Unfortunately during enjoying everything we both simply forgot to tip (Sorry!) but no doubt: A "Soon come again" thumbs up!

We gave it a try today evening, and food, atmosphere and Steve kept what was "promised" here. No trouble finding a free parking lot directly at the location (Going just the little entrance just right before "Spirit house", coming from Chotana Rd.), cosy places and decoration inside as well as outside - the garden around the chedi: a really mystic area, in its best meaning. Food really delicious, even though wifey sometimes is a bit "picky" she enjoyed the chicken breast and called it "worth the money" what actually means a great compliment (In fact a wonder, a wonder ...!). Steve: Informative, friendly, but not too talkative - just right and sympathic. Drinking water: Free! ;-)

Unfortunately during enjoying everything we both simply forgot to tip (Sorry!) but no doubt: A "Soon come again" thumbs up!

We found it last night. Must have been an off night. Placed order and asked them to wait till I had a few beers first. The first course came out about one minute later !! The Pate was indeed excellent, but the rest !!! No butter, ran out ! Ham,veg in cheese was cold modge ! Ministroni didnn't bear any resemblence to Ministroni. And the toilets, well, dirtiest I ever saw, was frightened to go in there.

We found it last night. Must have been an off night. Placed order and asked them to wait till I had a few beers first. The first course came out about one minute later !! The Pate was indeed excellent, but the rest !!! No butter, ran out ! Ham,veg in cheese was cold modge ! Ministroni didnn't bear any resemblence to Ministroni. And the toilets, well, dirtiest I ever saw, was frightened to go in there.

Try having your few beers first, then ordering when you're actually ready to get the food.

Try having your few beers first, then ordering when you're actually ready to get the food.

Sorry for you Farangdanny. It really does deserve another try. Steve's specialty is

dessert. Can't get a better!

• 2 months later...

Went back this weekend for an excellent meal and Steve was on Cloud 9 because he'd just discovered that Spirit House is listed in the new edition of Lonely Planet. Well deserved. This time we went without plans to do anything afterwards because I knew I'd have leftovers to bring home. Usually we go before doing something else where leaving with a doggy bag isn't practical! So I either eat too much of his great food or leave the leftovers behind. This time I saved room for one of his great desserts. He'd managed to get fresh rhubarb and turned it into a real delight. Plus, the leftovers made for a great at-home meal!