Five Year Driving Licence

uptheos

My five year driving licence expires next March.

Recently I have changed houses and have a new passport. If I want a change of address and passport number on my new licence, do I have to get a certificate of residence in order to make such changes? Normal renewal doesn't require it, I know.

Advice appreciated - Thanks :o

Recently I have changed houses and have a new passport. If I want a change of address and passport number on my new licence, do I have to get a certificate of residence in order to make such changes? Normal renewal doesn't require it, I know.

I don't think so. I believe you just go and give them the new details - they are incredibly helpful people.

As far as I know, which isn't much, Thailand is now issuing new-style Driving Licences with a chip, like a credit card, and for these you do need to produce a certificate of Residence--or am I wrong??

Thanks for the reply guys. I have never really thought that it was of great importance, except that the passport number is on the licence. I use the licence for ID at hospitals, airlines etc, when they ask for my passport, but if the details (apart from name) are incorrect I just wondered if it might cause a problem, especially somewhere that the new passport has been used already as ID.

New licence does not have an address on it so it can be changed anytime by going down to the office. The photo is also digital so it can be replaced with a minimum of hassle.

I agree that dealing with the people there was a pleasure, deffinately the nicest DMV I have ever been to.

Dont forget you need a new medical, the Hospital up the road charges something like 50 Bt for some Doctor to look into your mouth with a torch while you say Ahhh.

New licence does not have an address on it so it can be changed anytime by going down to the office. The photo is also digital so it can be replaced with a minimum of hassle.

I agree that dealing with the people there was a pleasure, deffinately the nicest DMV I have ever been to.

Dont forget you need a new medical, the Hospital up the road charges something like 50 Bt for some Doctor to look into your mouth with a torch while you say Ahhh.

And its 60 Baht if he takes your pulse & heartbeat :o

Thanks for the reply guys. I have never really thought that it was of great importance, except that the passport number is on the licence.

Strange - are you sure its your PP# on the licence? - they generate a # for what would be a Thai ID# but its not the PP#.

Yes the PP number is on the new style license (not sure about the old one). I find it quite handy as I use it for ID rather than carrying my Passport, but I recently renewed my passport and was wondering also what the procedures for updating the license would be, mine is still valid for over 4 years.

Thanks for the reply guys. I have never really thought that it was of great importance, except that the passport number is on the licence.

Strange - are you sure its your PP# on the licence? - they generate a # for what would be a Thai ID# but its not the PP#.

Yes, the passport # is on the old and the new licence. I too often use it for ID or when I simply cannot remember my PP number. :o

K2K.

Quote .... Strange - are you sure its your PP# on the licence? - they generate a # for what would be a Thai ID# but its not the PP#.

are you sure its your PP# on the licence? ...... Yes .... Twice and a 5 year car licence does as well : )

regards .... dave2

Oops, sorry - wrong room. I thought it said 5 year drinking licence.

Have you seen my glasses, they must be here somewhere......  (exit stage right)

Edited by KevinHUNT