Singha Light

jasreeve17

I picked up a box of 12 large bottles at Makro, thought it'd be nice to have a 'lighter' beer (3.5%) for those times when 6% beers are not required.

It's horrible. Very cold and lots of ice, it's still horrible.

I'm drinking one now, am glad I've got some Tiger to wash it down.

Anybody like it?

Great beer, but cos lower alcohol can drink more(often way more than too many) not lower calorie, but what the hec, being able to keep up with, and maybe even pass, the guys on regular strength bottles is worth it in the long run. Plus never had a hangover with it either. Takes a bit of getting used to as does taste a lot different to singha, but perseverance, for a couple of nights, paid off for me, much to my weights disgust!!Either that or Thai scales are weigh off from being accurate(pun definitely intended haha).

Rank, watery and tasteless. Only Beer Cheers is worse. Never had "Beer Thai" or Red Horse, but I've heard both of those are pretty awful too so would probably be in the same category.

Red Horse is made by San Miguel and is 6.9% Volume . I like the taste of it and find it has quite a kick (Pun intended!) post-34728-1229246798.gif

Is this the replacement for 'Singha Gold' which, by Thai standards, used to be a very nice beer.

Yes. They had a perfectly good low alcohol beer called Singha Gold, so they scrapped it and brought out Singha Light, which I find weak and wishy-washy.

If there was now a market for a low alcohol beer, why not relaunch Singha Gold ???

Rank, watery and tasteless. Only Beer Cheers is worse. Never had "Beer Thai" or Red Horse, but I've heard both of those are pretty awful too so would probably be in the same category.

Red Horse is made by San Miguel and is 6.9% Volume . I like the taste of it and find it has quite a kick (Pun intended!) post-34728-1229246798.gif

Is this the replacement for 'Singha Gold' which, by Thai standards, used to be a very nice beer.

Yes. They had a perfectly good low alcohol beer called Singha Gold, so they scrapped it and brought out Singha Light, which I find weak and wishy-washy.

If there was now a market for a low alcohol beer, why not relaunch Singha Gold ???

Sheesh, here people are advocating Singha Gold, Red Horse and Singha Lite and yet whenever a beer thread pops on ThaiVisa up people are nearly uanimous in proclaiming that American beer is sh1t. Why drink vile swill like that at all?

Edited by OriginalPoster

I used to love Sing until I noticed a year or so ago that it was less tasty than it used to be, then saw that it was down to 5% abv.

Can't imagine that the light has anything to recomend it (might be like Bud?). If I feel like a beer, I want it to taste great, if I want less alcohol I'd rather have a good nam som than a watery beer.

But I'll risk one if I see it, just to know for sure.

Really, I like Tiger these days, and the promotion staff have the best outfits so thats just fine.

I tried it, I drunk no more than normal. Lousy hangover, never touched it since. I went to a party where they had Redhorse, loved it, but the Thais all though it was a ladies drink. Even when I pointed out it was far stronger than Chang, they weren't convinced. Ah well horses for courses. :o

Edited by Mosha

I go with the fairly tasteless dishwater vote.

Ordinary Singha is fine for, so is Leo but my preferred beer is Chang. All bottled beers can give me a hangover (a friend has a theory about added chemicals) but I can drink draught Chang until the kwai come home.

Don't like draught Singha for some reason but can drink draught Tiger and not bottles - strange, I guess we are all different (agree about the Tiger promo girls.)

Sheesh, here people are advocating Singha Gold, Red Horse and Singha Lite and yet whenever a beer thread pops on ThaiVisa up people are nearly uanimous in proclaiming that American beer is sh1t. Why drink vile swill like that at all?

Yes, I agree American beer is chit if you are speaking of PBR, Bud, Strohs, Miller, or any of those other mass produced beers. But the microbrews of America, especially Colorado, are some of the best beers in the world. They are just as good or better than many German and Belgium beers...

Fat Tire is king!!!

post-46350-1229602813.jpg

Yes, I agree American beer is chit if you are speaking of PBR, Bud, Strohs, Miller, or any of those other mass produced beers. But the microbrews of America, especially Colorado, are some of the best beers in the world. They are just as good or better than many German and Belgium beers...

Fat Tire is king!!!

I agree with you about that, and there are a few other States that I'd say that about in addition to Colorado. The whole American beer is chit thing always seemed like the height of ignorance to me, it's about as reasonable to judge American beer on the basis of Bud and Miller as it is to judge German beer on the basis of Becks or Belgian beer on the basis of Wifebeater. Many people making such claim will praise Heinekin and Carlsberg in the same breath as bashing American beers. Apprently Singha Light and Red Horse are rate highly too.

On the Red Horse though, I'm not sure if it says so on the can, but it actually not a high strength beer, it is a malt liquor. To enjoy it properly, it should be drunk from a brown paper bag.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I don't like it at all. It tastes like regular Singha (Which I like) but watered down. :o

Regular Singha is only 5% these days so it is not particularly strong but if I don't want to overdo it I'd stick to the regular strength variety of your beer of choice but drink slower (or alternate with water or soft drink).

• 3 weeks later...
On the Red Horse though, I'm not sure if it says so on the can, but it actually not a high strength beer, it is a malt liquor. To enjoy it properly, it should be drunk from a brown paper bag .

That quote reminds me of a strong canned beer in the UK called "Special Brew". As one of our famous Scottish comedians said "Never knowingling drunk inside". It was the preferred drink of homeless, Alcoholics and party goers. post-34728-1231485187.gif

As quoted on http://www.arrysbrewsite.co.uk/

"Carlsberg Special Brew,The ultimate super strength lager,The beer of the gods"

Where do they sell Beer Lao in Bangok now?

Apparently it used to be available as Subways but this is not the case anymore.

Draft Chang is a lot easier on the head than bottled one, haven't tried draft Singha for years.

I'm mainly asking about Beer Lao.

Where do they sell Beer Lao in Bangok now?

Apparently it used to be available as Subways but this is not the case anymore.

Draft Chang is a lot easier on the head than bottled one, haven't tried draft Singha for years.

I'm mainly asking about Beer Lao.

Yes, Beer Lao is available at some places in Bangkok. However it's hit or miss as to whether it's any good. Don't get me wrong, I think that it's a well-done beer, but I've come to believe that the reason that it tastes so good in Laos is because it's usually really fresh. It seems to be a beer that doesn't tolerate storage well.

Thanks, I'll keep looking then.

That is on the forum - there's no way I'm going to visit every watering hole that can possibly have Beer Lao in stock.

The place where I had it recently was at a place called Hanrahans Pub on Soi Nana. Unless you just abosultely have to have Beer Lao I wouldn't recommend the place though, it's a pretty average Thai-Irish Pub in a sleazy area. Not sure if they sell it or not, but have you check to see if they have it at Villa Supermarkets? Most of them seem to have a reasonable selection of imports.

Edited by OriginalPoster