True Move Will Soon Be Carrying The Iphone 3g For Thailand

ozymandious

Not as far as i know. They're still fighting on inter-connection charges, let alone agree on number portability :D

I don't understand Apple though, license the 3G model to the only provider which doesn't even have Edge in most of the country, let alone 3G!!!

Where I live True doesn't even have regular GPRS. No internet at all, voice works though :o

Both AIS and Dtac are fully Edge capable here...

True Move Will soon be carrying the iPhone 3G for Thailand.

http://www.truevisionstv.com/index.aspx

http://www.truemove.com/iphone/

Does anyone know if Thailand has Number portability? e.g. move from one carrier to another but keep your #?

Yesterday, 8-DEC-2008, they also started to offer the Blackberry Bold. Their price is around 7000 THB cheaper than AIS, who offered the model already but can not deliver right now. I am a real Crackberry and addicted to my 8820. Edge, GPRS are not problem.

I don't understand Apple though, license the 3G model to the only provider which doesn't even have Edge in most of the country, let alone 3G!!!

For a company as savvy as Apple it certainly seems like an odd decision.

If I am reading this thread and the related thread correctly there aren't really any benefits to buying an unlocked 3G phone over an unlocked 2G one if the phone is going to be used mainly/only in Thailand, apart from a better GPS on the newer model - is this correct?

My better half is going to buy an iPhone but has been waiting for the 3G to arrive in the belief that it would be more useful (she has an XDA and uses the PDA features extensively). Is she going to be just as happy if she buys one currently available?

TIA for any pointers.

Does anyone know what True's mobile coverage is? According to this map it is pretty extensive but given Monty's post, I wonder how accurate the map is.

True's coverage is pretty good, but not all their cells are GPRS capable, and actually very few are Edge capable, even at places in Bangkok!

Where I live I have perfect signal strength, but no GPRS. When I move closer to town, I start to see the G indicating GPRS. And at a few places in town an E might show up indicating Edge is available.

And the Town is Pattaya, not somewhere upcountry, I live about 15 km out of town...

Although it must be said one of the advantages of True GPRS on a post paid package is that you get free access to all the True wifi points.

If I am reading this thread and the related thread correctly there aren't really any benefits to buying an unlocked 3G phone over an unlocked 2G one if the phone is going to be used mainly/only in Thailand, apart from a better GPS on the newer model - is this correct?

My better half is going to buy an iPhone but has been waiting for the 3G to arrive in the belief that it would be more useful (she has an XDA and uses the PDA features extensively). Is she going to be just as happy if she buys one currently available?

The only advantage will be the GPS functionality. On both iPhone and iPone3G you will not be able to take advantage of any better data speed then EDGE domestically.

2 Side notes:

If it's sanctioned by Apple to True then you can freely update you're phone with out fear of bricking it. (Other option is a HK unlocked iPhone)

I could be substantially cheaper than the black/gray market phones Remember Jobs wanted to keep it at US$199(8GB) -299(16GB) ANYWHERE in the world.

Quick math 300 * 35 = 10,500

The only advantage will be the GPS functionality. On both iPhone and iPone3G you will not be able to take advantage of any better data speed then EDGE domestically.

2 Side notes:

If it's sanctioned by Apple to True then you can freely update you're phone with out fear of bricking it. (Other option is a HK unlocked iPhone)

I could be substantially cheaper than the black/gray market phones Remember Jobs wanted to keep it at US$199(8GB) -299(16GB) ANYWHERE in the world.

Quick math 300 * 35 = 10,500

Thanks. GPS is not an issue: maps are not something Mme Slackula has any use for generally speaking, and I bought an illuminated globe for a bedside light for the occasions when she nudges me in the ribs to ask "where is {insert country here}?".

The "substantially cheaper" part is an issue though. She certainly won't want to pay 23K or whatever for a 2G model if she can get the 3G liberated version for 10.5K, but I know she won't change from her current DTAC number to a True account, she would lose too many contacts and have to reprint thousands of business cards.

*sigh* decisions, decisions..

• 5 months later...
Can anyone here explain how 3G works? I mean, if someone buys the latest iPhone, what limitations are there in Thailand?

You need 3G phone and you also need 3G network from your operator. In Thailand they sell 3G iPhone but none of the operators has 3G network.

So you can not use any 3G features (read benefits) in your iPhone. Benefit of 3G is mainly in data speeds. Voice calls are the same as in 2G networks they operate in Thailand but data speeds are much better in 3G meaning you can actually use internet with tolerable speeds.

I hear both AIS and DTAC already have small trial 3G networks also in Bangkok. Not in commercial use as such though. Latest rumours put the granting of licences in late this year and more likely it will happen only next year...

Thanks MJo.

So basically, iPhones in Thailand will work just like the Internet. Slow.

I have a iphone 3G which I bought in the UK on o2 network I discovered it was going to cost me a bloody fortune to use over here I checked my emails when I first arrived and it cost me £8 so I thought screw that you robbing bunch of bstds and got it unlocked!!

I use it on AIS and its not too bad, its no where near as good as in the UK. The GPS maps aren't really practical for driving as the maps don't load in time so you would miss the junctions, however its okay if you just want to pull over and get your bearings and the satellite photo's on the maps is pretty cool and VERY useful if you're looking for a particular building or something. I quite often use it on bus journeys so I can find out where I am and how long I have left.

I absolutely love the iphone its very well designed in terms of user its inface and it just looks so goddam sexy!!! Its great for long flights or bus journeys as you can stick a few movies on it although the battery life could be a little longer 6-7 hours of video but I'm thinking of getting a usb battery extender for longer journeys.

I personally would go for an unlocked one the HK version is the safest (and most expensive) as you don't need to worry about updating itunes, but as long as you know what you're doing theres no problem and more applications to play with.

Also be warey there are quite a few dodgy fake iphones floating about at the moment - no suprise considering where we are!!

I absolutely love the iphone its very well designed in terms of user its inface and it just looks so goddam sexy!!

They are an amazing piece of craftsmanship, that's for sure.

iPhones are so sleek, do you worry about them slipping out of your pocket?

And what about those stealing iPhones? As the price is crazy in Thailand, do you worry about carrying it around? I do.

Btw - I received one as a gift this past weekend. I've been too busy to really get into it so I thought I'd come up here and ask a few questions.

And I have to fess up... previous to the purchase I'd read a few negative posts about buying iPhones in Thailand so wanted to wait until posting here.

I absolutely love the iphone its very well designed in terms of user its inface and it just looks so goddam sexy!!

They are an amazing piece of craftsmanship, that's for sure.

iPhones are so sleek, do you worry about them slipping out of your pocket?

And what about those stealing iPhones? As the price is crazy in Thailand, do you worry about carrying it around? I do.

Btw - I received one as a gift this past weekend. I've been too busy to really get into it so I thought I'd come up here and ask a few questions.

And I have to fess up... previous to the purchase I'd read a few negative posts about buying iPhones in Thailand so wanted to wait until posting here.

Its never slipped out of my pocket so far but I am probably a bit more careful with it becasue it cost so much, I am also quite careful about putting coins and keys in the same pocket becasue I don't want it scratched.

as for it being stolen well I would be wary in tourist hotspots becasue of the number of thieves about, but I don't really worry about it that much on a day to day basis.

Its true that you don't get the same fucntionality as you would in a country with a half decent phone network, but you won't with any smart phone, well not for a while at least.

I would be interested to know how good the phone is with a true sim card as I am tempted to get a contract with them.

I would be interested to know how good the phone is with a true sim card as I am tempted to get a contract with them.

I have True - far cheaper than what I pay for 12CALL - but I wouldn't know what to say about it... too new...

If you like GPS try out any new nokia ones. The GPS is actually build-in with the maps so you do not need connection to internet or download any maps while on the move. Works very well and it's free. Only if you want voice guidance car navigator style you need to pay. Also Nokia maps you can purchase 3rd party maps. I use E71 and IMO it is the best phone i had so far. GPS, emails sync direct from my company exchange server, skype, last.fm, facebook, gmail and other messangers via fring. All i need.

iPhone might be appealing for the eye but that's not my thing and i really don't like touchscreens either. Prefer the E71's qwerty.

• 1 month later...