Studying In The Us

I was asked by my mother to find what is the best way for her to bring her young nieces, aged 10 and 13, to America to study and live.

My mother is a Thai national married to an American citizen and has been in the US for over 30 years. She returns home pretty much every year to visit and help her family out. Her nieces are both from poor families but I believe my mother pays for them to go to private school in Bangkok and Udon.

It would greatly appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction. I also have a question with regards to my Thai citizenship status as well. Since, i was born in Thailand, am i still a Thai citizen although i've spent 99% of my life in the US? I am also past the age of military duty in thailand.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I was asked by my mother to find what is the best way for her to bring her young nieces, aged 10 and 13, to America to study and live.

My mother is a Thai national married to an American citizen and has been in the US for over 30 years. She returns home pretty much every year to visit and help her family out. Her nieces are both from poor families but I believe my mother pays for them to go to private school in Bangkok and Udon.

It would greatly appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction. I also have a question with regards to my Thai citizenship status as well. Since, i was born in Thailand, am i still a Thai citizen although i've spent 99% of my life in the US? I am also past the age of military duty in thailand.

Is your mother planning to adopt the nieces ? Without some formal arrangement, she is going to face problems with both the Thai and US governments.

Have you got your original Thai documents ? ( birth certificate and passport ) It will be relatively straight forward to become Thai by applying for a passport at the Thai Embassy or the Consulates at Chicago, LA or NY.

Is your mother planning to adopt the nieces ? Without some formal arrangement, she is going to face problems with both the Thai and US governments.

Have you got your original Thai documents ? ( birth certificate and passport ) It will be relatively straight forward to become Thai by applying for a passport at the Thai Embassy or the Consulates at Chicago, LA or NY.

You made no comment sbx. Try again.

Pat

Dr Pat Pong,

when you say formal arrangements, what exactly are you referring to...adoption? She is very willing to adopt but i wasn't sure if there was a way to go about this w/o doing so. Just want to know the best way to go about this? She also mentioned something about having to do it before the kids turned 14 or the thai gov't would not allow her to do so - or at least that is what her brother said to her.

Specificity would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely unfamiliar with the visa/immigration process; however, i have performed a "search" on the site to obtain further information but found nothing. Perhaps, i missed something.

Thanks again for your help.

sbx