Florida's Abortion Ban Takes Effect Sends Ripples Across the South

image.png

As Florida's controversial six-week abortion ban takes effect, it's not just the Sunshine State feeling the impact. This new law, among the strictest in the nation, is set to drastically alter the landscape of abortion access across the entire U.S. South, leaving many seeking care in a state of uncertainty.

For years, Florida has served as a sanctuary for individuals seeking abortions in the South, thanks to its relatively lenient laws compared to neighboring states. But with this new legislation, that refuge is disappearing, forcing people to travel even further to access essential reproductive healthcare.

For many across the South, Florida has been a beacon of hope, offering access to abortion care when it was otherwise limited or restricted in their home states. Now, those same individuals face the daunting prospect of traveling long distances, sometimes to states like North Carolina or Virginia, just to obtain the care they need.

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, the state has seen a steady increase in abortion rates, with many seeking care from out of state. In the wake of the Dobbs ruling and the erosion of federal protections for abortion, Florida and Illinois became go-to destinations for individuals seeking care, particularly as neighboring states enacted stricter bans. However, with Florida now implementing its own stringent six-week ban, the landscape has shifted dramatically.

Now, states like North Carolina and Virginia are bracing for an influx of patients from Florida, as they become the closest options for individuals seeking abortions after six weeks' gestation. North Carolina allows access up to 12 weeks of pregnancy, while Virginia prohibits abortions starting in the third trimester.

The numbers speak volumes. Last year alone, over 84,000 abortions were performed in Florida, representing a steady increase from previous years. Interestingly, about two-thirds of this increase can be attributed to out-of-state patients, highlighting the crucial role Florida has played as a refuge for individuals seeking care.

Looking ahead, all eyes are on Florida's upcoming November election, where voters will have the opportunity to enshrine abortion access in the state constitution until fetal viability, typically around 24-28 weeks of pregnancy. However, even if this measure passes, protections won't be fully restored until at least 2025, leaving many in limbo in the meantime.

2024-05-02

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

Solid Southern State blockage of the right to healthcare. Take a look, this southern USA region is known as, "the Bible Belt". Now look at the USA region with the lowest education levels and the greatest poverty. Ah, yes where was I exposed to this thought before? Charles Dickens in "A Christmas Carol" when The Spirit of Christmas Present unveils the two children hidden beneath his robe. Ignorance and want (poverty) ... he warns that they spell doom ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Solid Southern State blockage of the right to healthcare. Take a look, this southern USA region is known as, "the Bible Belt". Now look at the USA region with the lowest education levels and the greatest poverty. Ah, yes where was I exposed to this thought before? Charles Dickens in "A Christmas Carol" when The Spirit of Christmas Present unveils the two children hidden beneath his robe. Ignorance and want (poverty) ... he warns that they spell doom ...

As usual, the people using the euphemisms are the ones who are in the wrong. Abortion is not "health care". It is killing a baby before it is born. At least have the stones to use clear language to describe what you advocate.  

• Confused 7
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Well, they have plenty of warning it was going to go into effect.  Anyone wanting, should have already killed their baby.  Those considering sex, should have started being responsible and using contraceptives.  Options abound.

Preservation of life prevails, always a good thing.   Guessing the number of reported rapes will jump even higher than before.  Along with a black market for 'morning after pills :coffee1:

Be responsible, or move ...

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Tug said:

That issue in itself is enough to cost the republicans all 3 branches of government.November is 6 months away thats enough time for the reality of this to sink in.lts  also a long enough time for the guys to realize that they ain’t getting any sex cause it’s the women who suffer the consequences……..as far as trump is concerned it’s just one more reason among many as to why to dump that albatross 

Yes, it's a real pity that nothing has been invented to help prevent unwanted pregnancies (other than abortion) that could mitigate the impact of this policy.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

As usual, the people using the euphemisms are the ones who are in the wrong. Abortion is not "health care". It is killing a baby before it is born. At least have the stones to use clear language to describe what you advocate.  

And yet even republicans overwhelmingly support abortion in the case of rape or incest or the health of the mother.  And even states with strict anti-abortion laws  allow for these exceptions. I guess they don't have stones to call it murder either.

Vast majority of Republicans support abortion exceptions for rape, incest and mother's health
A new survey shows broad bipartisan support for abortion exemptions, including in states that have restricted the procedure. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/vast-majority-republicans-support-abortion-exceptions-rape-incest-moth-rcna52237

DeSantis signs Florida GOP’s 6-week abortion ban into law

The law contains some exceptions, including to save the woman’s life. Abortions for pregnancies involving rape or incest would be allowed until 15 weeks of pregnancy, provided a woman has documentation such as a restraining order or police report. DeSantis has called the rape and incest provisions sensible.

https://apnews.com/article/florida-abortion-ban-approved-c9c53311a0b2426adc4b8d0b463edad1

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And yet even republicans overwhelmingly support abortion in the case of rape or incest or the health of the mother.  And even states with strict anti-abortion laws  allow for these exceptions. I guess they don't have stones to call it murder either.

Vast majority of Republicans support abortion exceptions for rape, incest and mother's health
A new survey shows broad bipartisan support for abortion exemptions, including in states that have restricted the procedure. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/vast-majority-republicans-support-abortion-exceptions-rape-incest-moth-rcna52237

DeSantis signs Florida GOP’s 6-week abortion ban into law

The law contains some exceptions, including to save the woman’s life. Abortions for pregnancies involving rape or incest would be allowed until 15 weeks of pregnancy, provided a woman has documentation such as a restraining order or police report. DeSantis has called the rape and incest provisions sensible.

https://apnews.com/article/florida-abortion-ban-approved-c9c53311a0b2426adc4b8d0b463edad1

True. Not too many people are willing to call a spade a spade. But somewhere in the middle between "health care" and "genocide" can be a happy descriptive medium that tries to be accurate and non emotional. I would say that 'abortion' would cover that. But in truth what is happening is that the baby is being sacrificed. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

True. Not too many people are willing to call a spade a spade. But somewhere in the middle between "health care" and "genocide" can be a happy descriptive medium that tries to be accurate and non emotional. I would say that 'abortion' would cover that. But in truth what is happening is that the baby is being sacrificed. 

Who made you the Lord of the English language?

"a very young child, especially one newly or recently born."

https://www.google.com/search?q=baby+definition&oq=baby+definition&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDI4MDZqMGo5qAIAsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

Right, I’m also in favor of responsible behavior, and let’s start by legally obligating both parties to an unexpected or out-of-wedlock pregnancy. If the couple’s finances are not integrated, the man who impregnated the woman should immediately be forced to post a bond of $150,000, about half the average cost of raising a child to age 18. If abortions are illegal but an abortion occurs, the man who impregnated the woman should be equally liable to prosecution. If the pregnant woman dies because of lack of access to prenatal care, as is increasingly the case in states where abortion is illegal, the man who impregnated her should be prosecuted for murder, because by inseminating her in a state that does not provide adequate prenatal care, he is actively imperiling her health.

That would be REALLY responsible, but the men who decide these things, including two men on the US Supreme Court who themselves abused women, I’m sure would dismiss these arguments as ludicrous, as they call into question their patriarchy.

Interesting ideas.

How about BOTH parents post an equal bond? The money to be used for the child's welfare either if raised by the parents or raised by the state. 

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Interesting ideas.

How about BOTH parents post an equal bond? The money to be used for the child's welfare either if raised by the parents or raised by the state. 

Yes, both parents could post an equal bond, that would be fair in most cases. I’d be in favor of that. My basic point is, in all of this new illegalization of abortion, legislators talk about punishing the women, the doctors, the clinics dispensing care and advice, the Uber drivers -- everyone but the men (expectant fathers) who are at least equally responsible for the pregnancy to begin with. If proposals for punishing the men were ever to gain traction in the courts, I’m sure that legislators, judges, priests, etc., mostly men themselves, would be far more reluctant to advocate antiabortion measures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Jee how nice of you to speak for American womanhood im sure they are mightily impressed .personally I don’t know of any woman who would get this procedure done without deep thought and reflection,its a heavy thing to have to do kinda like having to be responsible for and supporting another for a minimum of 18 years…….bottom line it’s their choice and not someone else’s.they ain’t happy about having it stripped away especially from some one the likes of trump they vote and they will!!

Just think if they invested just a little thought into contraceptives before have sex ... thoughts about killing the baby could be avoided completely.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/2/2024 at 5:42 PM, KhunLA said:

Just think if they invested just a little thought into contraceptives before have sex ... thoughts about killing the baby could be avoided completely.

I’m a guy but I have been told by women some don’t like the pill because it messes with their body’s causes acne and other imbalances try asking one,bottom line it’s not our place to question but to support and comfort it must be a hell of a dilemma fraught with untold emotions compounded by this conservative court …….

1 minute ago, Tug said:

I’m a guy but I have been told by women some don’t like the pill because it messes with their body’s causes acne and other imbalances try asking one,bottom line it’s not our place to question but to support and comfort it must be a hell of a dilemma fraught with untold emotions compounded by this conservative court …….

So you can't find condoms tight enough to stay on? 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why is the left so obsessed with killing babies? 

The majority of Americans are pro-choice, not just those on the 'left'.  This includes majorities in 43 states, including some 'red' states, and DC.  

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, newnative said:

The majority of Americans are pro-choice, not just those on the 'left'.  This includes majorities in 43 states, including some 'red' states, and DC.  

Yes, the comment you were replying to was particularly moronic. There have been referenda in several red states now, and in all of them the pro abortion rights proposals were endorsed by majorities.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, newnative said:

I'm pro-choice, I understand that, what I do not understand is the left's obsession with wanting to make it as easy as possible to kill as many as possible. 

Why not promote free vasectomies and tubal ligations, would that not help?

Clearly the left has no interest in resolving the issue. 

On 5/2/2024 at 1:33 AM, stoner said:

waiting for the rape and incest talking points to be trotted out.

how about the " old men get your nose out of women's vaginas" talking point?

how about if the man who gets the girl pregnant gets his gonads chopped off ....seems to me the old men want to act as if the woman got pregnant all by herself...

that and a bunch of bible beaters who are all against abortion until  their little darling 16 y.o. daughter or grand daughter got knocked up by a gang banger in which case she would quickly be sent off to a civilized state to secretly deal with it....

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Yes, the comment you were replying to was particularly moronic. There have been referenda in several red states now, and in all of them the pro abortion rights proposals were endorsed by majorities.

Yes, with a follow-up equally moronic.