Bars And Shops Closing

mommysboy

As the PAD sowed Thailand shall now reap.... and continue to reap and reap.

There comes a time when the perks of doing business are not enough to offset the major problems that have just beset the business community.

Riots in Bangkok and the worlds press predicting this is just the beginning. No, Thailand is not going to feature in as many long term plans as it was prior to Swampygate!

Thanks Sondhi! and baaaaaaaaa humbug to any PAD sheep that lose their jobs in the process. Pity that every last one of the PAD cannot lose their job at the front of the queue but thats life.

Perhaps if they all wear used tampons on their lapels it will repel the redundancy notices!

What a strange and bitter man you are grandpops.

I doubt that people's long-term plans will be much affected by recent events. Political uncertaintly, civil unrest - even coups, are a feature of Thailand. I think long-term concerns are more likely to speculatively focus on the situation when the current maonarch's reign comes to an end.

I do know 6 people who are not coming to Thailand this winter. Not one of them cited PAD or the political scene as the reason - in every case is was purely financial, brought by worsening global economic situation and the the 30% depreciation in Sterling from about a year ago.

I do not think granpops is as bitter and twisted as you think , he is just 'Telling it as it is ' problem is that too many of you have your head in the clouds , just wait a while , you may then courtiously wish to extend your apologies .

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the PAD sowed Thailand shall now reap.... and continue to reap and reap.

There comes a time when the perks of doing business are not enough to offset the major problems that have just beset the business community.

Riots in Bangkok and the worlds press predicting this is just the beginning. No, Thailand is not going to feature in as many long term plans as it was prior to Swampygate!

Thanks Sondhi! and baaaaaaaaa humbug to any PAD sheep that lose their jobs in the process. Pity that every last one of the PAD cannot lose their job at the front of the queue but thats life.

Perhaps if they all wear used tampons on their lapels it will repel the redundancy notices!

What a strange and bitter man you are grandpops.

I doubt that people's long-term plans will be much affected by recent events. Political uncertaintly, civil unrest - even coups, are a feature of Thailand. I think long-term concerns are more likely to speculatively focus on the situation when the current maonarch's reign comes to an end.

I do know 6 people who are not coming to Thailand this winter. Not one of them cited PAD or the political scene as the reason - in every case is was purely financial, brought by worsening global economic situation and the the 30% depreciation in Sterling from about a year ago.

I do not think granpops is as bitter and twisted as you think , he is just 'Telling it as it is ' problem is that too many of you have your head in the clouds , just wait a while , you may then courtiously wish to extend your apologies .

For me it's the second reason, but the actions of these people sure make it easier for people not to do business with Thailand. And for sure, there must be a sense of enough is enough where Thailand is concerned, after all has there not been a problem since the last crash. For people with a 'mai pen rai' / sanook attitude they sure mange to queer the pitch.

It appears that there may indeed be rough times ahead. This got me to thinking about my wifes family in the boondocks and how much a recession or depression would affect them. I came to the conclusion that it wouldnt really. They can live on the sniff of an oily greenback.

They own beautiful land and have farmed for generations but it is mostly for their own consumption and what they do sell makes me shake my head at the meagre profit margin (if any).

Their protein requirements are minimal and self raised, their rice is their life, corn, tobacco, vegetables are all there. Utility costs are next to nothing and the most high tech gadget they own is a TV.

They do own a couple of Iron Buffaloes and motorcycles so are somewhat relient on fossil fuel but I suspect that they could turn the clock back if required and harness up the four legged variety. When lao kao gets a bit steep that may start off a minor panic but they would switch to home made rice wine in a heart beat.

Clothing? Not much in the wardrobe, mainly wrap around sarongs and T shirts and flip flops.

Nup, I reckon they are in good shape to ride out any recession as long as I am still OK as backup.

Who are the silly ones? Us sophisticated ones I suppose.

It appears that there may indeed be rough times ahead. This got me to thinking about my wifes family in the boondocks and how much a recession or depression would affect them. I came to the conclusion that it wouldnt really. They can live on the sniff of an oily greenback.

They own beautiful land and have farmed for generations but it is mostly for their own consumption and what they do sell makes me shake my head at the meagre profit margin (if any).

Their protein requirements are minimal and self raised, their rice is their life, corn, tobacco, vegetables are all there. Utility costs are next to nothing and the most high tech gadget they own is a TV.

They do own a couple of Iron Buffaloes and motorcycles so are somewhat relient on fossil fuel but I suspect that they could turn the clock back if required and harness up the four legged variety. When lao kao gets a bit steep that may start off a minor panic but they would switch to home made rice wine in a heart beat.

Clothing? Not much in the wardrobe, mainly wrap around sarongs and T shirts and flip flops.

Nup, I reckon they are in good shape to ride out any recession as long as I am still OK as backup.

I see your point. What happens when they get really sick though? They die, often miserably. Not that anybody is going out with a song and a dance I suppose. :D

Yet. I came to Thailand because I was thoroughly sick, and in fact couldn't cope with the modern lifestyle, and have been under increasing pressure in Thailand, so I feel a sense of relief that this latest boom is about to go boom! There must be more to life. and then there is the welfare of the planet too. It's all got too much and this is a good posting with valid points.

Just the impoverished death that bothers me :o

Your whole post was very convincing about SELF RELIANCE ,until i arrived at your addendum , have you intruded on this to make it no longer possible as so many before you ?

Your whole post was very convincing about SELF RELIANCE ,until i arrived at your addendum , have you intruded on this to make it no longer possible as so many before you ?

I hear you but no, my contribution is restricted to health care and education. No doubt they also know I would never let them starve.

Christians and Muslims make a great deal out of charity and helping out others.  Buddhists have the whole concept of making merit.  I am sure Jews and other religions also teach that helping out others is a good thing.  And while not everyone posting here is religious, we none-the-less come from cultures which have been shaped by religious moralities.

So it is somethwat surprising to me that there have been a number of posts lately which seem to criticize other posters who help out, in some way or another, families or extended families out in Thai villages.

I hear you but no, my contribution is restricted to health care and education. No doubt they also know I would never let them starve.

Apologies, I answered the post while a workmate was signed in , but to flesh out the answer a bit, there appears to be something genetic in my in-laws that programs them to just keep turning dirt and growing things. When the farming demands their attention they are very focused and will not be side tracked by other events.

I have seen them very crest fallen when the crops do not attract market prices to make it profitable but there they are the next season doing it all again, I sometimes dispair at what seems to me to be any lateral thinking when it comes time to grow the crops, mainly the chilli and greens. Market saturation doesnt sem to be part of their thinking or planning.

Another trait is that the banks are only so trustworthy and cash isn't king, gold is where its at and I suspect that any cash surplus is invested in this commodity.

Edited by khunandy

It's unfortunate that people will be inconvenienced, but there will come a time when things pick up. I think what we can expect to see in the future are many new names, new companies and new people leading the world.

It'd be fair to say that the US is at the center of this, so it may be relevant to discuss counter-measures taken by the next administration. Before anyone jumps on this, I have nothing against the United States, but as the Earth's largest economy it inevitably affects everyone when it (the US) is hurting.

Regarding the credit crisis: I understand there are many causes for this, but it all boils down to lenders and creditors. Rather, the recent deregulation of industries has allowed them to trample the consumer. This aspect will hopefully be amended sooner rather than later.

A decent article on this can be found here: http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-Economy...E4BC1YK20081215

At the moment, I am enjoying the low gas prices and not much has changed aside from money being a little tighter. I am worried, though, about the auto bailout. While I don't want to see unemployment rise, I feel GM in particular is undeserving of the public's help. They have been screwing the US consumer for decades without remorse and I'll show little if they fall. My father works in personal and motor vehicle law and I know of instances where he's taken GM to court (and gotten a settlement) because they flat-out refuse to honor their warranty.

were they starving before the "man " arrived?

Apologies, I answered the post while a workmate was signed in , but to flesh out the answer a bit, there appears to be something genetic in my in-laws that programs them to just keep turning dirt and growing things. When the farming demands their attention they are very focused and will not be side tracked by other events.

I have seen them very crest fallen when the crops do not attract market prices to make it profitable but there they are the next season doing it all again, I sometimes dispair at what seems to me to be any lateral thinking when it comes time to grow the crops, mainly the chilli and greens. Market saturation doesnt sem to be part of their thinking or planning.

Another trait is that the banks are only so trustworthy and cash isn't king, gold is where its at and I suspect that any cash surplus is invested in this commodity.

i no understand this. if farming is of no benefit to them, why dont you guys teach them a different way. seems kind of foolish to just let them do things counterproductive.

can they produce rice better than the giants can?

seems many of your efforts are to keep the family down.

Edited by punkythai

i no understand this. if farming is of no benefit to them, why dont you guys teach them a different way. seems kind of foolish to just let them do things counterproductive.

Ever tried leading a horse to water - that's the easy part, force-feeding it is even tougher.

Many times (personally and via friends) I hear the equivalent of 'not your business' or 'Farang not understand about Thai ways'.

Thais (typically, not 100%) do not always take advice easily and all-too often we make a judgement/observation from a western perspective. Training/education/coaching has to come from within the country from their own contry-folk.

Don't get too wrapped up around the phrase " never let them starve" here. It is a common phrase in English which basically means that if everything goes downhill, the poster can step in and help with the necessities of life.

Don't get too wrapped up around the phrase " never let them starve" here. It is a common phrase in English which basically means that if everything goes downhill, the poster can step in and help with the necessities of life.

It could be an interesting discussion point. Western cultures, eg, UK , are far beyond 'sufficiency', it's a nation that can't support itself with food and essential supplies and so needs trade. Moreover, the country is a world leader and the people strongly competitive.

Thailand can be sufficient in one direction at least. Moreover it might suit the people who are not natural go getters. It would also be a cushion during these difficult times.

But now many Thais have tasted paradise, could they go back to a humbler life ?.

I reckon not personally.

You realise i hope that i was not being impertinent when i asked about the support you gave , and pukythais comment is 'A ' typical , i have heard of families finding it difficult to make ends meet after too much support had been removed when they had become accustomed to it . The health and education benefit are commendable and also not something that would cause a semi-catastrophy if it stopped , it just needs more to see it that way .

can they produce rice better than the giants can?

seems many of your efforts are to keep the family down.

I understand your comments but to suggest my efforts are "to keep the family down" are not on the mark.

There are two things to understand here, the first is that the family have been farming for generations, there is nothing wrong with their skills or quality of their crops. It is more of a mentality of they stick to the same produce, I think it is a matter off "all succeed / all fail" in the village. They dont like stepping out of the box...a bit why you will see 20 people selling corn on the side of the hwy , waving their sticks...no variety until you come across 20 people selling rice in the bamboo or BBQ chicken.

If you have ever built a house or had workman carry out a job in Thailand you will appreciate that it is near impossible to show a Thai a better way of doing something.

To them is doesnt appear to be counter productive, to me it seems that way sometimes but "you can lead a horse to water etc"

You realise i hope that i was not being impertinent when i asked about the support you gave , and pukythais comment is 'A ' typical , i have heard of families finding it difficult to make ends meet after too much support had been removed when they had become accustomed to it . The health and education benefit are commendable and also not something that would cause a semi-catastrophy if it stopped , it just needs more to see it that way .

No, I know what you are saying.

To tell you the truth, the extended family lives pretty well the same as before I came on the scene, the main benefits I have given them has been , as I see it, hopefully long term security. I imagine that they don't fear the wolves at the door as much any more but they still work as hard as they always have. I guess they have gained "face" if you are into that sort of thing.

The main thing that my wifes Grandparents were happy about it was that my wife stayed in the village as she is the glue that holds the family together, before I came on to the scene as well as now.

The extended family doesnt get cash but we do pay for stuff, as well as medication and education I spring for the rice cutters during harvest and sometimes fertiliser during the growing period. The car is a family taxi when needed and the Grandparents eat well :o

Something that has not been mentioned is that the PAD airport closure and the subsequent undemocratic results discourage foreign investment. That coupled with a lack of tourists and a harsh global economic atmosphere is the catalyst to what we are beginning to see here and everywhere else for that matter. The little players get hit hardest in these times.

Something that has not been mentioned is that the PAD airport closure and the subsequent undemocratic results discourage foreign investment. That coupled with a lack of tourists and a harsh global economic atmosphere is the catalyst to what we are beginning to see here and everywhere else for that matter. The little players get hit hardest in these times.

That's true.

Also the Thai economy has been lumbering for a good few years now. The Thai traders have been complaining about less and less punters since 95 for sure.

In fact did the economy ever really ge back on it's feet after the last crash!

We [extended family] in the export industry have been suffering for the last 2 years at least with the strong baht and failing dollar with customers not understanding that prices cannot be the same at all times. Or: the ones running the show still charging the same prices, cutting away any and all profit and leaving the company in a state of almost negative cash flow.

So this recession, that everyone could see coming since last March, is just a continuation of the same downhill path. (And for real companies, PADs dealings at the airport is an annoyance but not a deal-breaker or anything major in the grand of things. But I know it's nice to put equal blame on them for political reasons.)

Around my office all the places are still open but - thank God - there is far less [british and other European] tourists out since a while back, so much that it's almost comfortable going out. And the customer-hostess ratio is finally at a stage where one can be very-very selective, like with a good wine. :o

We [extended family] in the export industry have been suffering for the last 2 years at least with the strong baht and failing dollar with customers not understanding that prices cannot be the same at all times. Or: the ones running the show still charging the same prices, cutting away any and all profit and leaving the company in a state of almost negative cash flow.

So this recession, that everyone could see coming since last March, is just a continuation of the same downhill path. (And for real companies, PADs dealings at the airport is an annoyance but not a deal-breaker or anything major in the grand of things. But I know it's nice to put equal blame on them for political reasons.)

Around my office all the places are still open but - thank God - there is far less [british and other European] tourists out since a while back, so much that it's almost comfortable going out. And the customer-hostess ratio is finally at a stage where one can be very-very selective, like with a good wine. :o

We all like a happy ending.

I've been cutting my prices for a few years now and chafing under worse exchange rates, and increased costs.

The problem is you can charge higher prices for good stuff, but Thai goods are inferior and outdated.

Quality is getting worse if anything.

I'm not sure that anything other than a 25% adjustment in the value of the bt would be any good.

Things are quite ruinous.

We all like a happy ending.

I've been cutting my prices for a few years now and chafing under worse exchange rates, and increased costs.

The problem is you can charge higher prices for good stuff, but Thai goods are inferior and outdated.

Quality is getting worse if anything.

I'm not sure that anything other than a 25% adjustment in the value of the bt would be any good.

Things are quite ruinous.

Correct Thai stuff is crap at best, it would be more cost effective to have Chimps at work as Bananas are very cheap here and Chimps are less likely to have family issues such as sick Buffalo etc. Maybe the Chimps could also get a decent candidate for Government? - just a thought :D

There are other kinds of businesses than the one that you are involved in that make most of their money during tourist season and losing big money at the best time of year is quite serious to them. High season often pays to keep them open in low season.

All you can see is what applies to you. No wonder you identify so closely with with the PAD. :o

There are other kinds of businesses than the one that you are involved in that make most of their money during tourist season and losing big money at the best time of year is quite serious to them. High season often pays to keep them open in low season.

All you can see is what applies to you. No wonder you identify so closely with with the PAD. :o

Straw man at its best.

You don't know anything about what I do or what my extended family does (not the same thing).

Nor do you know anything about our political affiliations. You should however know it's not with PAD, as have been stated here many times.

Not that you have ever EVER cared for the truth in any shape and form, as long as you can flame a fellow poster.

And my post was in regards to export industry. And it's neither seasonal nor suffering from tourists not arriving in the same way at all. As you should know. And the tourist-section of Thailand's economy is still minuscule compared to what the true exporters pull in.

Indeed as another poster noted there were some pretty glum export figures reported today - bear in mind exports account for 70% of GDP. The figures showed an 18% drop October year on year. Early next year that will probably be 30%. That's not going to be made up by tourism, and doesn't matter how many BGs go back in the paddy fields an increase in agri won't do either.

Oddly enough the media are full of hyperbole on this, that and the other, but seem muted about this, the one, subject that should receive emphasis.

Somebody correct me- but are we not in disaster territory?

And my post was in regards to export industry. And it's neither seasonal nor suffering from tourists not arriving in the same way at all. As you should know. And the tourist-section of Thailand's economy is still minuscule compared to what the true exporters pull in.

You mean your nonsense about "real" companies are not losing money.? Plenty of Thais make money from the tourist industry and losing big money at the best time of year is quite serious to them.

As I said before, all you can see is what applies to you. No wonder you identify so closely with with the PAD. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Indeed as another poster noted there were some pretty glum export figures reported today - bear in mind exports account for 70% of GDP. The figures showed an 18% drop October year on year. Early next year that will probably be 30%. That's not going to be made up by tourism, and doesn't matter how many BGs go back in the paddy fields an increase in agri won't do either.

Oddly enough the media are full of hyperbole on this, that and the other, but seem muted about this, the one, subject that should receive emphasis.

Of course we're in disaster territory (just like the rest of the world), but if the b'g's are forced back to the paddy fields - it's a step in the right direction if Thailand wants to progress and enter the 21st century. (Not to mention lose it's appalling reputation!)

Nah , just some hyperbole generated by the naysayers , the tourist depletion will have little to no effect whatsoever , please disreguard the empty accomodation establishments , laid off workers etc , never mind , just pay up ASTFU .

30% 0f 70% of gross income , what the heck eh , peanuts , if you are a millionare . Times will improve shortley , WONT THEY , fingers AND toes crossed .

Just curious, if exports are 70% of GDP, tourism 8% what is the balance?