Bars And Shops Closing

mommysboy

all 5* types are sex tourist(of course the gonna deny that they aren't) :o . but not all sex tourist are 5* types :D:D:D

Maybe :wai: Put it this way they are not here for the arts and entertainment.

But I remember reading the 5 star market doesn't really generate much cash for the locals something ike a measly 5%, whereas no one can dispute that the STs is more like 95%.

The more I think about this the more this situation seems a bit contrived, or at least convenient. I would suggest that the elite or whoever has decided they really don't want the economic miracle. Partly, this might be motivated by rightful concerns over the environment and culture, but it could just be that the wrong people have gotten rich. Possibly a bit too much like hard work too :D

Am I missing something here or are you saying that Thailand can only prosper with sex tourists?

If so, I genuinely fail to understand why. It's such an incredibly beautiful country, with a wonderful cultural background that is still there to see - temples, palaces etc.

Why can't it plan to attract the more afflluent visitors who would value this wonderful legacy?

The sex tourists and sex-pats may pay the money at the moment, but surely this could be changed into something better?

Unfortunately as I type this I can't help but think that the short term 'get rich quick' attitude will prevail and I'm wasting my breath! Ah well, it's nice to think 'if only'!

No, I wasn't really making any great point here other than 5 star tourists not really contributing much realwealth to Thailand, or at least to the rank and file.

I think exports and agriculture are the 'bread and butter' activities, but yes tourism probably is 'the icing on the cake' and Thailand can't really prosper without it. Yes though, nobody wants to admit it but STs do contribute directly to the poorer people.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good riddance the thai economy needs a good cleaning. Too many small eating establishments, too many of everything for that matter.

oh yeah, bring on more 7-11's, Carrefour's and Tesco Lotus and mini-Lotuses, that's sure to help matters.

Today I visited a new Carrefour`s in Hang Dong, Chiang Mai.

Full to the brim with goods at hyped up prices and yet it was still pack out with customers.

I thought: there goes another few dozen local businesses down the swanni.

all 5* types are sex tourist(of course the gonna deny that they aren't) :o . but not all sex tourist are 5* types :D:D:D

Maybe :wai: Put it this way they are not here for the arts and entertainment.

But I remember reading the 5 star market doesn't really generate much cash for the locals something ike a measly 5%, whereas no one can dispute that the STs is more like 95%.

The more I think about this the more this situation seems a bit contrived, or at least convenient. I would suggest that the elite or whoever has decided they really don't want the economic miracle. Partly, this might be motivated by rightful concerns over the environment and culture, but it could just be that the wrong people have gotten rich. Possibly a bit too much like hard work too :D

Am I missing something here or are you saying that Thailand can only prosper with sex tourists?

If so, I genuinely fail to understand why. It's such an incredibly beautiful country, with a wonderful cultural background that is still there to see - temples, palaces etc.

Why can't it plan to attract the more afflluent visitors who would value this wonderful legacy?

The sex tourists and sex-pats may pay the money at the moment, but surely this could be changed into something better?

Unfortunately as I type this I can't help but think that the short term 'get rich quick' attitude will prevail and I'm wasting my breath! Ah well, it's nice to think 'if only'!

Certainly Thailand can prosper with out sex tourism. And Thailand does try to attract other tourist markets, albeit perhaps not as aggressively as neighbors such as Malaysia and Singapore. But the fact of the matter is that currently, sex tourism contributes some significant degree to the Thai economy.

"Something better" is subject to your own moral code. For the person who believes prostitution is a prevailing sin, then yes, almost anything would be better. But for the small maker of scanty costumes which dancers might wear, for example, a shift to high-end resort tourism may not be as welcome.

Rubish!

The only places in Thailand that are feeling the pinch are busineses that are foreign dollar dependant.

In the country side it's busines as usual, ask anyone and they will respond..."what credit crisis?"

It's only the speculative "get the money off Falang" type busineses that are failing.

Thailand is largely immune to the global finacial crisis.

your stupidity knows no bounds

SET is 50% lower

Exports are falling

Layoffs increasing

Property Market struggling

Tourism skidding

so if you forget about the above, and live in a hut in the jungle, then yes, LOS is not affected by the global financial crisis

[

SET is 50% lower

Exports are falling

Layoffs increasing

Tourism skidding

so if you forget about the above, and live in a hut in the jungle, then yes, LOS is not affected by the global financial crisis

To a very large number of Thais the above points are irrelevant. They are farmers who rely on the price of rice to make a living. In my area in Isaan we have just completed the harvest - the price of rice is 30% above last year's whereas costs, especially diesel, have come down. They may live in huts but their standard of living has improved this year.

Rubish!

The only places in Thailand that are feeling the pinch are busineses that are foreign dollar dependant.

In the country side it's busines as usual, ask anyone and they will respond..."what credit crisis?"

It's only the speculative "get the money off Falang" type busineses that are failing.

SET is 50% lower

Exports are falling

Layoffs increasing

Tourism skidding

Toatally agree! Amazing how many ferangs posting have little idea of reality. I talk with my wife every day re. current affairs in Thailand relative to the current downturn (recession/depression). Factories closing, people not buying much other than food and essential items etc. etc. However, i suppose the Chang drinking, experts know best.

Ignorance, the root and stem of every evil - Plato

What the heck did they expect?

About time they got rid of a few annoyances while they are at it.

Pushy girls / fake hill tribe vendors stroking wooden frogs / annoying "taxi" drivers showing you pictures of girls / tuk tuks (all of them) / those Robinsons survey girls who think that everyone who isn't of Oriental appearance is a tourist.

Just go back home.

I just spoke with a friend if mine. She works at a well-known international hotel in Bangkok. Right now, the hotel has 20% occupancy, and they have completely closed off one of their two buildings. She has been scheduled for some 15 days off so far this month due to lack of work. Traditionally, December brings in 18,000-20,000 baht in service charges, but she has been told to expect possibly 3,000 baht this month.

I just spoke with a friend if mine. She works at a well-known international hotel in Bangkok. Right now, the hotel has 20% occupancy, and they have completely closed off one of their two buildings. She has been scheduled for some 15 days off so far this month due to lack of work. Traditionally, December brings in 18,000-20,000 baht in service charges, but she has been told to expect possibly 3,000 baht this month.

Yes, I've been through this with an acquaintance the other day. She is quite devastated at the prospect of not getting what she sees as her "bonus". To someone at her level, this represents the lump sum which means she can make capital purchases. The knock on effect will come next year for sure.

Shangri-La I assume? I know their Krungthep wing is closed at present due to low occupancy.

Shangri-La I assume? I know their Krungthep wing is closed at present due to low occupancy.

Someone told me the spanking new Shangri La in Chiang Mai had only two guests staying there just a couple of days ago!!!!

I was at the 4 Seasons in Bangkok this weekend. They had closed off all but 2 or 3 floors!!

With no planes coming into Bangkok you guys sound surprised that hotels are empty. Give it a few weeks and things will pick up but not to the high level seen last year for example.

I was at the 4 Seasons in Bangkok this weekend. They had closed off all but 2 or 3 floors!!

With no planes coming into Bangkok you guys sound surprised that hotels are empty. Give it a few weeks and things will pick up but not to the high level seen last year for example.

we will see bkkjames :o

we will see bkkjames :o

yes, we most definately will (one way or another) :D

Time to close the airport again? :o Ask PAD to come back to close the airport!

Edited by tartempion

Yes, I've been through this with an acquaintance the other day. She is quite devastated at the prospect of not getting what she sees as her "bonus". To someone at her level, this represents the lump sum which means she can make capital purchases. The knock on effect will come next year for sure.

As the PAD sowed Thailand shall now reap.... and continue to reap and reap.

There comes a time when the perks of doing business are not enough to offset the major problems that have just beset the business community.

Riots in Bangkok and the worlds press predicting this is just the beginning. No, Thailand is not going to feature in as many long term plans as it was prior to Swampygate!

Thanks Sondhi! and baaaaaaaaa humbug to any PAD sheep that lose their jobs in the process. Pity that every last one of the PAD cannot lose their job at the front of the queue but thats life.

Perhaps if they all wear used tampons on their lapels it will repel the redundancy notices!

Rubish!

SET is 50% lower

Exports are falling

Layoffs increasing

Tourism skidding

Toatally agree! Amazing how many ferangs posting have little idea of reality. I talk with my wife every day re. current affairs in Thailand relative to the current downturn (recession/depression). Factories closing, people not buying much other than food and essential items etc. etc. However, i suppose the Chang drinking, experts know best.

YOU SAID IT :o

Don't bet your shirt on that one! Not unless you're looking to get a real good sun tan anyway :o

Tourist locations such as Phuket are going to be hard-hit. I did the rounds of Patong 4 days ago and again last night. 4 days ago I counted several bars which had already closed. Last night, the number of tourists was akin to a low-season evening. More bars had closed and in Soi Easy (about 20 bars) I counted just one solitary customer.

Maybe you say 'great if these cheap and cheerful bars close'. But that's one reason why many tourists come to Phuket. Take away the bustling Patong nightlife and the tourists won't come. Of course, Phuket also has it's 5-star tourists and resorts. I doubt that that sector will escape unscathed from these problems.

My (ex's) airport hotel is almost fully booked until 3rd January. After that, the bookings fall off a cliff. No-one is booking, even though it is peak season. Usually if people do not book at our transit hotel, it means that they are not booking their 1 or 2-week holidays at the beach resort hotels.

It's akin to Rome burning whilst Nero plays his violin, except that Rome is Phuket, Samui, Bangkok and Pattaya and Nero are the combined idiots of PAD, the weak government, the army, the airport authorities, the police and anyone else that you care to name who has only had their own interests at heart.

Simon

I agree with what you say. I just got back from Koh Samet yesterday. It was practically empty. I would be shocked if the hotels were at 20% occupancy rate. Restaurants - mostly empty. We took a day cruise around the islands - I was the only farang in the boat. The nice lady that rented a little bungalow to me and my teerak said that the island should be packed this time of year. Stand by for more pain.

There comes a time when the perks of doing business are not enough to offset the major problems that have just beset the business community.

Riots in Bangkok and the worlds press predicting this is just the beginning. No, Thailand is not going to feature in as many long term plans as it was prior to Swampygate!

Thanks Sondhi! and baaaaaaaaa humbug to any PAD sheep that lose their jobs in the process. Pity that every last one of the PAD cannot lose their job at the front of the queue but thats life.

Perhaps if they all wear used tampons on their lapels it will repel the redundancy notices!

What a strange and bitter man you are grandpops.

I doubt that people's long-term plans will be much affected by recent events. Political uncertaintly, civil unrest - even coups, are a feature of Thailand. I think long-term concerns are more likely to speculatively focus on the situation when the current maonarch's reign comes to an end.

I do know 6 people who are not coming to Thailand this winter. Not one of them cited PAD or the political scene as the reason - in every case is was purely financial, brought by worsening global economic situation and the the 30% depreciation in Sterling from about a year ago.

Rubish!

SET is 50% lower

Exports are falling

Layoffs increasing

Tourism skidding

Well if you could read 'mammys boy' :D you will see it was Plato whom said it - but thanks for the credit

What a strange and bitter man you are grandpops.

I doubt that people's long-term plans will be much affected by recent events. Political uncertaintly, civil unrest - even coups, are a feature of Thailand. I think long-term concerns are more likely to speculatively focus on the situation when the current maonarch's reign comes to an end.

I do know 6 people who are not coming to Thailand this winter. Not one of them cited PAD or the political scene as the reason - in every case is was purely financial, brought by worsening global economic situation and the the 30% depreciation in Sterling from about a year ago.

I think this is the inescapable fact, and despite similar postings even the intelligent people on these boards do not seem to realise this.

But isn't the old curmudgeon right to also criticise PAD's actions which will also take their toll.

On the other hand, I am going to a trade show in the US in late January, and I wanted to get a mileage ticket for an assitant to come with me. I was told that there are basically no tickets available. I had to get a mileage ticket from Narita and pay for a ticket from Bkk to Narita. I will be very curious to see how full the flight is when I board it in BKK.

On the other hand, I am going to a trade show in the US in late January, and I wanted to get a mileage ticket for an assitant to come with me. I was told that there are basically no tickets available. I had to get a mileage ticket from Narita and pay for a ticket from Bkk to Narita. I will be very curious to see how full the flight is when I board it in BKK.

Most airlines set aside only a few seats per flight for "freebies". You may well find that the flight is nowhere near full, but all the freebie seats are (if you could tell the difference :o )

/ Priceless

Rubish!

SET is 50% lower

Exports are falling

Layoffs increasing

Tourism skidding

Well if you could read 'mammys boy' :D you will see it was Plato whom said it - but thanks for the credit

AH! I appear to have shot the wrong poster. Flesh wound I hope.

Most airlines set aside only a few seats per flight for "freebies". You may well find that the flight is nowhere near full, but all the freebie seats are (if you could tell the difference :o )

/ Priceless

Yes, this is true, but as one of their highest level frequent fliers, I have never had a problem before, even in January. And I could not get any of the other Star Alliance carriers, either.

I was told that I could try again about three days before the flight.

I am wondering how many flights have been cut back. I have heard a number of airlines are cutting back on flights to BKK, but I have no actual numbers. I doubt they will fly as frequently if they have fewer passengers.