Vtr1000

Tod

Dunno- that VTR's been sitting there a LONG time. Not sure why- I never looked at it closely. I've heard mixed reviews on this bike. Going to Red Baron tomorrow, I'll be happy to check it out for ya :o

Yes, that would be nice...

I'm actually very interested. I was planning to buy one of these (quite ugly) ER-6n in january, but if I can have a VTR for almost the same price I choose the VTR for sure.

It's really strange though...In Switzerland a VTR costs about 20'000 swiss francs which is about 13'000 euros.

There must be something wrong...

Have you seen the 2009 ER-6N? :o

ER6NBlack2009.jpg

According to Kawasaki Thailand the price will be somewhere between 280,000-290,000THB

The VTR is a HRC race bred sports bike; completely different and quite difficult to compare to the ER-6N...

I'm more interested in sport-touring so the versatile and comfortable ER-6N is quite appealing to me. If you're looking for a pure sport bike with a lot of torque and not a lot of comfort, then the VTR1000 might be perfect for you.

Mmhhh... It's true that the 2009 model looks way better than the previous ones. It's still not a design that I really like but nicer than what I thought.

I have always driven sportsbike in Switzerland, but I'm not sure it would be a great idea to drive that everyday in Thailand.

The ideal compromise for me would be a Kawa Z750, probably to expensive though :o

Anyway if you can have a look at that VTR tomorrow and ask why it is so much cheaper than all the other bikes they have, that would be great. :D

""I have always driven sportsbike in Switzerland, but I'm not sure it would be a great idea to drive that everyday in Thailand.""

Hi Tod,

As you say: "not a great idea"... but many do it "for the fun" just to commute to the bar or the beach :o

Not a long time ago, I was going to purchase a BIG engine bike. But after been advised by many friends (one of whom is BigBike BKK) here and there, I decided to go for a 600 cc "middle range" bike: easier to handle in cities and sufficient for "touring" in LOS. The open roads here are not the same than back in Europe: not same tarmac in most places and not same "riding safe" due to trucks, tractors, tuk-tuks, buffalos, little bikes and so on sometimes "moving" strangely just in front of you...

For other part, please, before you decide to go for a Kawy ER6, have a look at it "for real". Don't trust too much advertising pics :D

Happy (future) rides,

Gobs

There must be a mistake right??? :D:D:o:D

350'000 seems ridiculously cheap for that bike, especially at "red baron"

http://www.redbaronbkk.com/products/item.p...=080717-0000295

Agree with you that Red Baron is usually not the cheapest, but on the photo link the bike just looks GREAT. Which year is it and how many km? As mentioned by dotcom, you'll probably have to add costs for inspection and registration, but I have in mind it's "only" 70,000.

If the license plate is included, than it seems a hot hot deal, and you better do your test ride quickly or it'll be gone!

Enjoy.

HI All,

Spent a couple of hours at Red Baron yesterday- always a fun place to hang out.

Trent found a fairing for his XJR1300 back in the used parts wharehouse :o They were asking 2000THB but the master negotiator got them down to 1500 :P And Trent- thanks again for getting me the 37% discount on the RayBans! :D :jerk: :D

Back to the VTR:

121308VTR2Sm.jpg

I think Trent likes it! :D:burp::D

A real beast of a bike. The friendly sales guy (man... I already forgot his name... :wai: ) was nice enough to roll it outside so we could start her up. Like I said earlier, it's been sitting at Red Baron for many months so the battery was dead- they got a tender out and fired her up. Nice v-twin rumble out of the stock twin cans and even better when you give it some gas.

121308VTR1Sm.jpg

The clock shows only 97xxkm, but looking over the bike it really appears to have had some hard use... Been down gently on it's right side with the corresponding minor scrapes on the engine cover, bar end and brake lever. Very minor but I'm surprised they didn't replace those items as I'm sure they had to redo the fairing and blinker, so why not do it all...

The VTR looks like it all stock, the big cans have some minor dents, the frame has some scratches, the tank and fairings look brand new but the windscreen is a bit scuffed and scratched.

In my humble opinion this would be a very fun track bike but I think that with it's rock hard seat, aggressive riding geometry and race bred suspension that it would be quite punishing on the bumpy and irregular surfaces which we encounter so often on Thai roads...

Just next to the VTR was a stunning '04 or '05 Honda Fireblade 1000. I really should have taken some pics. Similar in price to the VTR ~3xx,xxxTHB but super clean and tricked out with aftermarket Demon CF exhaust and a lot of other aftermarket goodies. The CBR/Fireblade was immaculate and made the VTR look a bit worn. Oddly the Fireblade is not on Red Baron's website. Perhaps they just received it or maybe it already sold.

Happy Trails!

121308VTRSm.jpg

Thanks a lot for your report BigBikeBkk, I'll go check redbaron next time I'm in Bangkok and see for myself what they have.

I thought that the VTR was new; 350'000 for a 2nd hand bike already scratched is not that cheap after all.

I thought it was a new 2005 model that they didn't managed to sell :o

The 2008 CBR 1000 sure looks fine, but way to expensive for me.

It would actually hurt my balls pretty badly to spend 700'000 baht for that bike. :D

I think I'll wait for a cheaper 600cc.