A Documentary. What Motivates The Ladies..........

Gary A

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as is... life - live, the clear demands on why having foreign husband should make it clear to everyone "recruiting" form this "walk of life", it's a deal, for her to climb the social ladder and build a better life, NOT necessarily love!

Any woman would have to be a fool to marry a down and out low life broke man. I have seen gold diggers, BUT, I have also seem farang men who have the attitude that they have purchased and own their Thai wife. They treat her like a piece of property. Being treated like a piece of property is not the way to go if you want a successful relationship. Those same men then complain that their wife is taking them to the cleaners. My Thai wife puts up with a lot from this crotchety old fart. Would my wife stay with me if I were broke? I have no idea and I don't want to find out. Life is good.

Interesting topic, in terms of both the mens and womens expectations. Note however that this interest in securing a farang husband extends beyond bar girls. My wife - as with I sure most 'farang wives' - is often asked the question "how did you get farang husband" "how can I get farang husband" "how can my friend get farang husband" etc etc. As far as i am aware none of these women are bar girls.

Obviously at one end of the spectrum you have economic desperation but beyond that there seems to be this vision of a farang wife as having a life of fashion shopping and domestic bliss, free from all concerns.

What does your wife say to these ladies? What do you think should be said? Go along for the soap opera fantasy ride or inject some reality into the picture? Point them towards books like "Thailand Fever"? Incorporate the subject in the school curriculum?

Obviously many Thai women have unrealistic expectations and some must be very disappointed further down the track. In the worst cases used and abused (as one poster has noted) but in many other cases just finding out that there is no money tree and their lives may not be transformed to the extent they first thought. And do these widely held misconceptions by others must also put undue pressure on farang wives to live up to the dream - at least when out in public (?)

When couples everywhere decide to form a union there are always unique and sometimes complex motivations for why this happens. This is especially true in those societies where the couple themselves are the main participants in doing the choosing. 'Love' is an often bandied about word to describe many motivations which are often selfish when examined closely. If you are in your thirties and still living with your parents and sign-on every week for job seekers allowance you are unlikely to have many people falling in love with you as you would if you were rich; this is the same everywhere. A twinkle-in-the-eye does occasionally get you laid though, but this is because of other motivations which are just as dubiously described as 'love'. Most people are looking for other people to take care of them either emotionally or financially. Call it what you want.

Thanks Gary! It's interesting and sad to say the least.

I watched all 5 and felt sadden for these women. It's not a matter of choice for them, but a matter of survival.

What utter rubbish, it's always a matter of choice, governed by self respect. :o

Well Said, there are plenty of poor farm girls running around living off what little earnings they can make in the fields. Its a rough life but at least their conscience is clean...a very big deal to those of us who believe in Karma and reincarnation.

Who I feel sad for are the guys who are lied to by prostitutes who claim to be something that they are not, and normal decent girls who are lied to by guys who claim likewise.

But those girls who think the guy is different or somehow better because he's white or the guy who thinks the girl is innately more trust worthy or better because she is Thai, I have no sympathy for.

I watched all 5 and felt sadden for these women. It's not a matter of choice for them, but a matter of survival.

What utter rubbish, it's always a matter of choice, governed by self respect. :o

Get real ! It's easy for anyone to pontificate when they are not struggling for basic survival however the reality is that self respect does not put food on the table, or pay for basic medical care for a sick child. Everyone may have choice but not everyone has the luxury of choosing the one that perfectly suits the value system of other people. Try walking a mile in someone elses shoes and see how much 'utter rubbish' there is to the basic matter of survival.

Get real ! It's easy for anyone to pontificate when they are not struggling for basic survival however the reality is that self respect does not put food on the table, or pay for basic medical care for a sick child. Everyone may have choice but not everyone has the luxury of choosing the one that perfectly suits the value system of other people. Try walking a mile in someone elses shoes and see how much 'utter rubbish' there is to the basic matter of survival.

I don't know who really needs to get real... In Thailand, "basic medical care" or "food on the table" does not cost much (even by local standards). Most girls who become prostitutes don't to that because they (and their family) can't survive with a regular job, but often to be able to purchase non-essential goods (new mobile phone every three months, karaoke-home theater, a brand new motorbike or a pickup truck for the most popular or hard-working ones, etc.), to play lottery and over gambling games, etc.

I'm just very thankful I wasn't born a Thai female in the middle of a rice paddy. I'd hate for all you better than thou people to be calling me a whore. It must be easy for you who were born in a western country to criticize less fortunate VERY poor people. Self respect! :o

nobodys criticizing people who are born poor! some hook because its a ball to them, why do you think los hookers are rated number 1 on the planet. others, the snarly ones have to to survive. being dark and fugly one doesnt have much options in life.

Edited by backman

I don't know who really needs to get real... In Thailand, "basic medical care" or "food on the table" does not cost much (even by local standards). Most girls who become prostitutes don't to that because they (and their family) can't survive with a regular job, but often to be able to purchase non-essential goods (new mobile phone every three months, karaoke-home theater, a brand new motorbike or a pickup truck for the most popular or hard-working ones, etc.), to play lottery and over gambling games, etc.

By your post, it appears that you have a lot of personal experience with girls that become prostitutes and have done an in depth psychological study and profile so feel qualified to judge their motivations. At least I am real enough not to put myself on a high horse and be judgemental of anyone's actions or motivations other than those of my own, but then again I probably have not had your prolific experience. :D

pretty shitty documentary imo, the fact that theres blatant lies just makes it completely fake.

The part where they state that girls with 'boyfrfiends' stop seeing other customers and that the mamasan enforces it, LOL are you serious?

Yeah, the 'documentary' is just ridiculous. Of course, one based at all in reality wouldn't sell.

For a few years I taught in a village school and in the beginning I found it hard to understand how anybody would choose to leave that rural sanctuary. After a while though it became obvious that poverty is only glamorous when you choose it. There is lack of opportunity in a village, and it is hardly surprising that many seek to escape the confines of the village life. Morality in regards to sex is just a cultural inheritance which many people just don't value as much as other people.

I'm just very thankful I wasn't born a Thai female in the middle of a rice paddy. ... :o

I am too (thankful that I was not born in the rural and poorest parts of the Land of Smiles), but mainly because as a Thai male or woman from these areas, I would not have received a proper education and would be tempted by avid marketing and multinational companies that are making their best to sell me products that I don't really need...

For a few years I taught in a village school and in the beginning I found it hard to understand how anybody would choose to leave that rural sanctuary. After a while though it became obvious that poverty is only glamorous when you choose it. There is lack of opportunity in a village, and it is hardly surprising that many seek to escape the confines of the village life. Morality in regards to sex is just a cultural inheritance which many people just don't value as much as other people.

i like this. seems the only ones wanting to go TO the village r the silly farangs.not al l but many.

i like this. seems the only ones wanting to go TO the village r the silly farangs.not al l but many.

Nothing really silly about it. Just human nature. We often find peace in the opposite of what we now have. I blame W.B. Yates for making the quite life seem so appealing.

By your post, it appears that you have a lot of personal experience with girls that become prostitutes and have done an in depth psychological study and profile so feel qualified to judge their motivations. At least I am real enough not to put myself on a high horse and be judgemental of anyone's actions or motivations other than those of my own, but then again I probably have not had your prolific experience. :D

I'm not hypocritical: I know many former prostitutes (most of them are now wives of my Farang friends) and I lived several years in a small village in the Udon Thani province. Most people here can live quite happily with less than 3000 baht per month... unless they start to believe that they need some unnecessary products because of the ads and marketing campaigns of big multinational companies (Nokia, Toyota, Sony, Isuzu...).

ugly rice farmers?????????? in bikinis no less......lol.

thats suspension material...............lol.

its the ugly ones u have to be careful about.

anything to say horsedoc!

nothing wrong, the girl in the documentary were refered as rice farmers in the first 20secs and all of them were far from being even remotely acceptable to look at.

my girl's from issan, it's not a generalisation

This video and the related Venezuelan story have been around for about a year...originally aired on British TV. The Thai story is interesting as it shows the typical English sex-mongers and their prostitute "girlfriends," their pathetic "relationships," and follow-on efforts to obtain immigration rights for these sex-workers to come stay with them in the UK.

The Venezuelan story is fascinating in showing the loathing that most sex-workers have for their fat disgusting clientèle. The pathos was really stunning and I really felt empathy for what these girls had to deal with in order to make a go with the hand that fate has dealt them. Reminds me everyday of the same situations I see in Pattaya.

ugly rice farmers?????????? in bikinis no less......lol.

thats suspension material...............lol.

its the ugly ones u have to be careful about.

anything to say horsedoc!

nothing wrong, the girl in the documentary were refered as rice farmers in the first 20secs and all of them were far from being even remotely acceptable to look at.

my girl's from issan, it's not a generalisation

but its politically in correct to refer to them as ugly rice farmers in bikinis even if they are!