Tv Members And Political Correctness

GuestHouse

Superhans, you still have freedom of speach, the only part of your speach that Political Correctness objects to is that which is openly offensive of is expressing opression of others.

In short, you need to rely on a balanced intelectual argument rather than a prejudicial emotive argument.

Your claim that you are 'NOT ALLOWED' to discussion Muslim integration in Britain is yet more Hyperbole. Muslim integration is a central topic of UK Political Debate - it IS BEING DISCUSSED.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not think Onzestan was so concerned about free speach or PC in his rhetorical response , a quote or reference was made to historical happenings that gave him recall on the terrible happenings to members of his family .

Personaly I feel PC has reaped more harm than good due to the fact it tends to headline things or happenings no one would normally get excited or upset about , but whatever , none of it is realy worth a Tinkers cuss when it all boils down to the nitty-gritty of every day life and living ..

I don't. PC has made it so that people no longer think it's ok to call me a f**king poof and beat me severely enough to put me into hospital. It's all very well moaning about PCism when you're a part of the controlling majority. It's a different matter when you're a member of a minority. And yes - there are idiots who take it too far but, by and large, it's been a good thing.

Out of interest - and to prove GH's point that PC allows free speech - what would you say the "average" TV moderator's background is? How many white hetrosexual males are there who are not leftwingers?

There are 22 Supermods (Mods who can mod the whole board rather than a single forum). 14 of them are white heterosexual males, 3 are homosexual males and 5 are female. There's no such thing as an 'average' mod. We have mods from Europe, the UK, the USA and Oz. We have mods with distinguished military careers and mods who run resorts. We have teachers and bankers and IT geezers and committed pacifists. We have scientists and economists and journalists.

As far as their politics is concerned you'll have to ask them. It's not something we discuss. Contrary to the popular belief on here we're here to make sure the forum rules are kept not to act as censors.

I do not think Onzestan was so concerned about free speach or PC in his rhetorical response , a quote or reference was made to historical happenings that gave him recall on the terrible happenings to members of his family .

Personaly I feel PC has reaped more harm than good due to the fact it tends to headline things or happenings no one would normally get excited or upset about , but whatever , none of it is realy worth a Tinkers cuss when it all boils down to the nitty-gritty of every day life and living ..

I don't. PC has made it so that people no longer think it's ok to call me a f**king poof and beat me severely enough to put me into hospital. It's all very well moaning about PCism when you're a part of the controlling majority. It's a different matter when you're a member of a minority. And yes - there are idiots who take it too far but, by and large, it's been a good thing.

Out of interest - and to prove GH's point that PC allows free speech - what would you say the "average" TV moderator's background is? How many white hetrosexual males are there who are not leftwingers?

Out of interest, i would like to know how may have actually graduated from the ksr ( khao san road ) school of qualifications>

Thankfully some still have qualifications that havent as yet been dumbnded down by the system, a la the educated idiots, lets give every kid who who leaves school 15 o levels, stay on , heres anothe 62 a levels just by attendance alone.

Dont worry heres another mickey mouse qualification in some other pc subject, social sciences, modern day history, and whatever subject the qualified pc brigade deem fit to award you.

Lets stiffle debate, dont ask pertinent questions, is it pc or not , to ask the question of one of the worlds most revered men a terriorist or not, have your doubts, no problem, lets re-write history?

The hypocrisy of western colonialsim, dont mention it, mugabe, lets not mention darfur or somalia, the white man caused these problems.

Let rewrite history, blame the white man for starting and engaging in a paractice that already existed before the white man took advanatage of it, eg, slavery.

Lets ignore the facts, lets rewrite historry to suit our own ends, thankfully in this day and age we cant be burned at the stake or acussed of heresy.

The burden of the white middle class is not my burden.

Superhans, you still have freedom of speach, the only part of your speach that Political Correctness objects to is that which is openly offensive of is expressing opression of others.

Your claim that you are 'NOT ALLOWED' to discussion Muslim integration in Britain is yet more Hyperbole. Muslim integration is a central topic of UK Political Debate - it IS BEING DISCUSSED.

By whom? What is being discussed? Where and how often? Give me some facts to reassure me it's not all PC hyperbole.

In short, you need to rely on a balanced intelectual argument rather than a prejudicial emotive argument.

It is quite startlingly how you cannot see the inherent contradiction here.

ps why do you capitalise the word 'hyperbole'?

There are 22 Supermods (Mods who can mod the whole board rather than a single forum). 14 of them are white heterosexual males, 3 are homosexual males and 5 are female. There's no such thing as an 'average' mod. We have mods from Europe, the UK, the USA and Oz. We have mods with distinguished military careers and mods who run resorts. We have teachers and bankers and IT geezers and committed pacifists. We have scientists and economists and journalists.

As far as their politics is concerned you'll have to ask them. It's not something we discuss. Contrary to the popular belief on here we're here to make sure the forum rules are kept not to act as censors.

Why do you think it's popular belief?

Thanks. How do you know there are 14 white hetrosexual males? Have you asked them?

Out of interest, i would like to know how may have actually graduated from the ksr ( khao san road ) school of qualifications>

Thankfully some still have qualifications that havent as yet been dumbnded down by the system, a la the educated idiots, lets give every kid who who leaves school 15 o levels, stay on , heres anothe 62 a levels just by attendance alone.

Dont worry heres another mickey mouse qualification in some other pc subject, social sciences, modern day history, and whatever subject the qualified pc brigade deem fit to award you.

Lets stiffle debate, dont ask pertinent questions, is it pc or not , to ask the question of one of the worlds most revered men a terriorist or not, have your doubts, no problem, lets re-write history?

The hypocrisy of western colonialsim, dont mention it, mugabe, lets not mention darfur or somalia, the white man caused these problems.

Let rewrite history, blame the white man for starting and engaging in a paractice that already existed before the white man took advanatage of it, eg, slavery.

Lets ignore the facts, lets rewrite historry to suit our own ends, thankfully in this day and age we cant be burned at the stake or acussed of heresy.

Out of interest, you are implying some of the mods have fake degrees? Along with being entirely mistaken, you are breaking various forum rules regarding offensive and inflammatory behaviour. Frankly, if this thread turns to moaning about mods and censorship on TV, it'll be closed in a flash- so I recommend that those who are tempted to turn it that way shift gears, fast.

In short, you need to rely on a balanced intelectual argument rather than a prejudicial emotive argument. modern day history, and whatever subject the qualified pc brigade deem fit to award you.

Out of interest, you are implying some of the mods have fake degrees? Along with being entirely mistaken, you are breaking various forum rules regarding offensive and inflammatory behaviour. Frankly, if this thread turns to moaning about mods and censorship on TV, it'll be closed in a flash- so I recommend that those who are tempted to turn it that way shift gears, fast.

He's doing no such thing, and where is he breaking forum rules regarding offensive and inflammatory behaviour? This is a debate about political correctness - if you allow one post on how (white) English colonalism has damaged other countries, you MUST allow the right to reply. Otherwise, as the poster so rightly says, there is a danger of rewriting history.

THAT is balanced and impartial, which is all anyone can ask for in a mod.

Edited by Super Hans

In short, you need to rely on a balanced intelectual argument rather than a prejudicial emotive argument. modern day history, and whatever subject the qualified pc brigade deem fit to award you.

He's doing no such thing,

He 's doing exactly that (marked in red).

1. Discussion of moderation and moderation issues is against the rules. This is the final warning on this thread. We "must" do nothing except enforce the rules. Those who continue in this direction will be penalised and prompt the closure of this thread.

2. Any further moans and suggestions that the mods are either uneducated, underqualified, or otherwise unsuited for moderation will also be penalised.

I strongly suggestion thread participants address topical issues (you may wish to read the original topic). It would also help if posters avoided emotional personalisations of their arguments.

"S"

Dont worry heres another mickey mouse qualification in some other pc subject, social sciences

You can say that again, and I should know - my degree is in social sciences! Mickey Mouse doesn't begin to cover it. But that was 20 years ago and I shudder to think how useful 20,000 Media Study graduates of today will be.

I shared many lectures with trainee Social Workers, as there was an overlap in some subjects. I will not comment on the people who work in social work as the post will be deleted, but let's just say they fit every stereotype the media give them. Really quite frightening.

Do you know what a joke is?

Do you know what a joke is?

Yes and that wasn't a joke.

Out of interest, you are implying some of the mods have fake degrees?sorry if there is a misssunderstaning on either your part or mine please let me know and i will apologise, please let me know which part of my post you didnt understand and where i mentioned the mods?Along with being entirely mistaken,i bow down to your superior wisdom , can you please tell me where i am being entirely mistaken you are breaking various forum rules regarding offensive and inflammatory behaviour.Sorry that wasnt my intention, please advise what rules i have broken and i will make sure to not break them again . Frankly, if this thread turns to moaning about mods and censorship on TV, it'll be closed in a flash- so I recommend that those who are tempted to turn it that way shift gears, fast.

I apologize, i see now where the missunderstanding may have taken place, i in no way mentioned the mods, either implied or other way implied, my beef was with the many farang who pass themselves of as teachers with qualifications that can at best be described as dubious.

I am very sorry if i offendeded you mod ( sorry i dont wish to cause offence by addressing you as mr or mrs) what i object to is the number of " teachers" running around in thailand with ksr qualifcations that my proper qualifications now become redudnant, almost makes me wonder why i botherd to study for so long.

Dont worry heres another mickey mouse qualification in some other pc subject, social sciences

You can say that again, and I should know - my degree is in social sciences! Mickey Mouse doesn't begin to cover it. But that was 20 years ago and I shudder to think how useful 20,000 Media Study graduates of today will be.

I shared many lectures with trainee Social Workers, as there was an overlap in some subjects. I will not comment on the people who work in social work as the post will be deleted, but let's just say they fit every stereotype the media give them. Really quite frightening.

some of us can hear you , i agree with everything you say, but maybe some of the less un pc brigade may have their elements of doubt.

ruth kelly , anyone? sorry to the mods its not my intention to spark a debate that may be accused of being against the forum rules. can you please let me know what are the rules concerning opus dei, is this subject open for debate or not, i wouldnt like to be accused of something i havent yet done.

I have nothing whatsoever against the mods - as far as I'm aware, I don't know any of you personally - and would like to thank you for your contribution to what is in the main an excellent forum and extremely valuable resource, so when I say this, just take it as an observation:

What you are saying is that if people moan about censorship, this thread will be censored :o

Don't you see any irony in this at all?

Having said that, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to close the thread at this point as the last few pages have been circular rants and personal jibes - including both sides of the debate accusing the other of being Nazi's - more irony.

Many pages ago - Guesthouse I think it was - made the point about people attacking the person rather than the argument and he's right, but both sides have been guilty of this in recent pages, including GH himself.

I've continued listening to both sides of the arguement and my view hasn't changed - political correctness stifles debate, stops discussion, fosters resentment and slows change.

It works against that which, those of the PC movement who are well intentioned (which is the majority) are actually working to achieve. It does this because it focuses on the minutia and the superficial fights and detracts from those issues that are worth fighting for.

If you want to go out and march with Gandhi or King or Mandela, or stand in front of tanks in Tiananmen Square, you have my unflinching support. These people went out and fought for real change and progress in the search for equality and human rights. The focus of the PC 'police' however is to brand me unclean or mindless if I have anything but a sterile, sanitised, Stepford Wife opinion on any issue, or abuse me for using a gender specific word like 'chairman' instead of 'chairperson' and this is what I find unacceptable.

Allow me to have an argument with a black man, without labelling me racist; allow me to have a heated debate with a gay woman, without calling me homophobic and allow me to disagree with an Octogenarian without accusing me of being ageist.

I am none of these things and I object to the PC brigade labelling me as such, simply because I have the audacity to form my own opinions without being told how I should behave by some government, or other over officious bureaucracy.

Here in UK no one has stopped putting up trees, wishing each other merry Christmas, putting up decorations, singing the carols, doing the nativity in schools etc so I wonder what countries the anti-pc folks claim they have been restricted?

Sorry to disappoint you Boo : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...t-festival.html

cheers

onzestan

That's funny, Karma from the vicious history of colonialism coming back to haunt England. After centuries of subjugating other peoples beliefs and cultures around the world, the world finaly comes back home to the English and dilutes what they once considered traddional and sacred.

Sum num na.

The funny thing is..Its the English that do it too themselves.

Wha???

No country in history has contributed more to the development of the planet than the English. We sacrificed ourselves tackling REAL evil. Maybe the Americans will join this fight 3 years too late as well, then double cross their allies to help themselves to the spoils. Again.

In terms of colonialism, you only have to look at Zimbabwe for how well countries fare by booting us out. There is no better nation for solving the world's ills than England. Our diplomatic service is peerless, not least in clearing up the blundering cack-handed buffoonery of the Americans.

The rest of the free world should be falling over themselves to repay their debts to us in this time of UK hardship.

LOL!

OMG, wow you really believe wholeheartedly in what you wrote... Wow.

Well as Boo pointed out the article misreported what was really going on and Christmas Holiday celebrations are going on as normal.

However just the fact that there is consideration there for people other than whites has delusional bigots like yourselves, seeing boogie men in every shadow and that their great empire is falling down around them all the fault of the PCer's no doubt.

Wow, that's really funny.

Come to the new years eve party I'll be happy to debate the merits(what miserably few there are) of what you said about England and its history, once I have a couple of beers (I'll need a few for this I'm sure :o ). Until then I'll enjoy the yapping of a subject from our LAP DOG nation crying about what was.

Get over it and move past it. Not happy with your nation's status, then do something about it. And stop expecting a HAND OUT.

The US Govt owes it's Black citizens 40acres and a mule, we never got it so we fought untill we took 40 States and the White House!

And your over here crying about how the rest of the world should be helping the UK now in its time of "need"

GMAFB

By whom? What is being discussed? Where and how often? Give me some facts to reassure me it's not all PC hyperbole.

Google Search 'Muslim Integration UK' ...

Results 1 - 10 of about 190,000 for Muslim Integration UK. (0.14 seconds)

I think you'll find plenty of discussion going on there. You may not like what is being discussed, but as a defender fo free speach you'll presumably not have a problem with that.

Enlighten me, where is the Contradition in the statement?

I capitalise 'Hyperbole' out of recognition that this is a mainstay of the Anti PC brigade.

Edited by GuestHouse

Many pages ago - Guesthouse I think it was - made the point about people attacking the person rather than the argument and he's right, but both sides have been guilty of this in recent pages, including GH himself.

I did indeed call for an end to the use of the argumentum ad hominem, I'm not aware of having made such an argument myself, if I have I apologise without reserve.

I did indeed call for an end to the use of the argumentum ad hominem, I'm not aware of having made such an argument myself, if I have I apologise without reserve.

apology accepted :o

Thanks. How do you know there are 14 white hetrosexual males? Have you asked them?

Why? Do you think they're all in the closet? :o

Why? Do you think they're all in the closet? :o

Well it would certainly explain a lot... :D

Google Search 'Muslim Integration UK' ...

Results 1 - 10 of about 190,000 for Muslim Integration UK. (0.14 seconds)

I think you'll find plenty of discussion going on there. You may not like what is being discussed, but as a defender fo free speach you'll presumably not have a problem with that.

Enlighten me, where is the Contradition in the statement?

I capitalise 'Hyperbole' out of recognition that this is a mainstay of the Anti PC brigade.

The answer to the great political struggles of our time: google. I do hope you have your laptop ready when the enemy are fastening their bayonets.

The contradiction? Ok, I'll try again. "You need to rely on a balanced intellectual argument rather than a prejudicial emotive argument." Clearer?

Ah, you're capitalising for emphasis on what YOU think is important. Another device of the PC thug to add to the list. I note you've not answered a single direct question. Cowardice is another position favoured by the self righteous.

Here in UK no one has stopped putting up trees, wishing each other merry Christmas, putting up decorations, singing the carols, doing the nativity in schools etc so I wonder what countries the anti-pc folks claim they have been restricted?

Sorry to disappoint you Boo : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...t-festival.html

cheers

onzestan

That's funny, Karma from the vicious history of colonialism coming back to haunt England. After centuries of subjugating other peoples beliefs and cultures around the world, the world finaly comes back home to the English and dilutes what they once considered traddional and sacred.

Sum num na.

The funny thing is..Its the English that do it too themselves.

Wha???

No country in history has contributed more to the development of the planet than the English. We sacrificed ourselves tackling REAL evil. Maybe the Americans will join this fight 3 years too late as well, then double cross their allies to help themselves to the spoils. Again.

In terms of colonialism, you only have to look at Zimbabwe for how well countries fare by booting us out. There is no better nation for solving the world's ills than England. Our diplomatic service is peerless, not least in clearing up the blundering cack-handed buffoonery of the Americans.

The rest of the free world should be falling over themselves to repay their debts to us in this time of UK hardship.

LOL!

OMG, wow you really believe wholeheartedly in what you wrote... Wow.

Well as Boo pointed out the article misreported what was really going on and Christmas Holiday celebrations are going on as normal.

However just the fact that there is consideration there for people other than whites has delusional bigots like yourselves, seeing boogie men in every shadow and that their great empire is falling down around them all the fault of the PCer's no doubt.

Wow, that's really funny.

Come to the new years eve party I'll be happy to debate the merits(what miserably few there are) of what you said about England and its history, once I have a couple of beers (I'll need a few for this I'm sure :o ). Until then I'll enjoy the yapping of a subject from our LAP DOG nation crying about what was.

Get over it and move past it. Not happy with your nation's status, then do something about it. And stop expecting a HAND OUT.

The US Govt owes it's Black citizens 40acres and a mule, we never got it so we fought untill we took 40 States and the White House!

And your over here crying about how the rest of the world should be helping the UK now in its time of "need"

GMAFB

No, it would appear YOU believe wholeheartedly in what I wrote...

No one believes in bogey men hiding in every corner. But there really are bogey men, you know. They do exist. They always have done and they always will do. You can stumble around in la-la land for as long as you like, but there are those of us that prefer to confront evil head on, rather than have our fingers in our ears and our heads in the sand.

Far, far too many Neville Chamberlain's around these days.

I have nothing whatsoever against the mods - as far as I'm aware, I don't know any of you personally - and would like to thank you for your contribution to what is in the main an excellent forum and extremely valuable resource, so when I say this, just take it as an observation:

What you are saying is that if people moan about censorship, this thread will be censored :o

Don't you see any irony in this at all?

Having said that, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to close the thread at this point as the last few pages have been circular rants and personal jibes - including both sides of the debate accusing the other of being Nazi's - more irony.

I've continued listening to both sides of the arguement and my view hasn't changed - political correctness stifles debate, stops discussion, fosters resentment and slows change.

It works against that which, those of the PC movement who are well intentioned (which is the majority) are actually working to achieve. It does this because it focuses on the minutia and the superficial fights and detracts from those issues that are worth fighting for.

If you want to go out and march with Gandhi or King or Mandela, or stand in front of tanks in Tiananmen Square, you have my unflinching support. These people went out and fought for real change and progress in the search for equality and human rights. The focus of the PC 'police' however is to brand me unclean or mindless if I have anything but a sterile, sanitised, Stepford Wife opinion on any issue, or abuse me for using a gender specific word like 'chairman' instead of 'chairperson' and this is what I find unacceptable.

Allow me to have an argument with a black man, without labelling me racist; allow me to have a heated debate with a gay woman, without calling me homophobic and allow me to disagree with an Octogenarian without accusing me of being ageist.

I am none of these things and I object to the PC brigade labelling me as such, simply because I have the audacity to form my own opinions without being told how I should behave by some government, or other over officious bureaucracy.

That is a fantastic post.

I think what people like SuperHans forget is how things were before the attempt to stop the name calling and show respect. For hundreds of years Britain fought a war against an enemy they could not defeat. They tried everything to demonize this enemy, but all this lack of respect did was increase the viciousness of the resistance. A small island nation was able to kick them out of two-thirds of their country and by the end of the eighties this resistance movement was on the verge of toppling the UK. The British knew that they could not win so they surrendered and began showing a bit of respect. Now as far as I'm concerned terrorism is always wrong no matter how brutal the enemy is against your country, but this is what happens when the talking and respect stops.

I think what people like SuperHans forget is how things were before the attempt to stop the name calling and show respect. For hundreds of years Britain fought a war against an enemy they could not defeat. They tried everything to demonize this enemy, but all this lack of respect did was increase the viciousness of the resistance. A small island nation was able to kick them out of two-thirds of their country and by the end of the eighties this resistance movement was on the verge of toppling the UK. The British knew that they could not win so they surrendered and began showing a bit of respect. Now as far as I'm concerned terrorism is always wrong no matter how brutal the enemy is against your country, but this is what happens when the talking and respect stops.

??? I'm guessing, correct me if you are wrong, that you are talking about Ireland?

You have an interesting slant on a subject that is far more complex than just being about "name calling and showing respect" and by the tone of the comment, I'd also guess a rather one eyed viewpoint.

A serious topic, but do you really believe it has anything to do with the issue of political correctness?

??? I'm guessing, correct me if you are wrong, that you are talking about Ireland?

You have an interesting slant on a subject that is far more complex than just being about "name calling and showing respect" and by the tone of the comment, I'd also guess a rather one eyed viewpoint.

A serious topic, but do you really believe it has anything to do with the issue of political correctness?

I actually have a far wider view on this topic then you imagine, and also I made my point earlier about this topic. The different sides in the argument could not communicate because of lack of a vocabulary that didn't involve insults; even place names could cause trouble.. The words used would be enough to end the dialogue before it could even get started. It was only when the insults were removed that the different sides could begin negotiations.

I actually have a far wider view on this topic then you imagine, and also I made my point earlier about this topic. The different sides in the argument could not communicate because of lack of a vocabulary that didn't involve insults; even place names could cause trouble.. The words used would be enough to end the dialogue before it could even get started. It was only when the insults were removed that the different sides could begin negotiations.

Please don't make assumptions about the scope of my imagination. It knows no bounds. :o

I've seen your earlier comment, which was far more relevant. I'm just making an observation on the above post which reads as a tirade against those fiendish British invaders.

Is it Derry, or is it Londonderry - an emotive issue for those involved - agreed BUT do you really think that getting all PC about words was what ended(?) the conflict - or was it those that took action that changed things in Ireland?

I really don't want to get into a debate of the rights or wrong here - centuries of conflict aren't going to be resolved with a few words from me on TV - but call them terrorists, call them freedom fighters; call the UK Govt foreign invaders or call them rightfully elected upholders of the law, it was people taking action that made things happen and not the PC brigade sharpening pencils.

Please don't make assumptions about the scope of my imagination. It knows no bounds. :o

I've seen your earlier comment, which was far more relevant. I'm just making an observation on the above post which reads as a tirade against those fiendish British invaders.

Is it Derry, or is it Londonderry - an emotive issue for those involved - agreed BUT do you really think that getting all PC about words was what ended(?) the conflict - or was it those that took action that changed things in Ireland?

I really don't want to get into a debate of the rights or wrong here - centuries of conflict aren't going to be resolved with a few words from me on TV - but call them terrorists, call them freedom fighters; call the UK Govt foreign invaders or call them rightfully elected upholders of the law, it was people taking action that made things happen and not the PC brigade sharpening pencils.

I'll tell you exactly how political correctness has eased helped to ease tensions. Up until a few years ago it was perfectly fine for grown-up thugs to to scream abuse at young children on their way to Holy Cross school. The removal of these animals calling young children 'Fenian bas****s' has certainly improved the situation; although I am sure many here would object on the grounds of free speech.

Edited by garro

Stop talking sheet about America or we will swat you like the insignificant fly that your nation has become! :o