Why Did You Move To Thailand?

yabbit

I made no decision. My business partner of a decade died and I came here on holiday to recover for a Month. Didn't know anything about Thailand and headed to Pattaya which was the only destination that I knew of. I had just the plane tickets and even if I have been around traveling, it was such a shock - although in a positive way. I started to feel alive again after a decade of working with no other purpose than money.

I ran into an encounter that actually still goes on in a form of friendship. Later I started to go around Thailand and now have been to most of the places. Found my bf from internet being on holiday in Finland.

I've been here over 4 years now. I am still not totally convinced that I will stay here forever. The financial problems will hit Thailand quite hard sooner or later and some signs are visible already. The other factor is that I love culture and the stuff here don't quite satisfy my need for finer things in life. I grew up in several places like Spain and Italy and you simply can't compare the cultural output to the one of Thais. Thai culture nowadays seems to consist of American Pie, slapstick comedy, all things fashionable brought here from elsewhere and nationalistic remembrance of "traditional Thai culture" - whatever that is..?

So far Thailand has worked for me quite nicely but I am still young and perhaps I need new challenges. I am 'just' turning 38. I have been looking at options with my bf and we haven't come to an conclusion, yet. He loves his small family and I wonder whether he would be happy in gloomy, cold Finland with very strange people and culture. On the other hand, he has the job that he can easily do everywhere in the World.

So, as Buddhists say...nothing is permanent. The river flows constantly and shapes its form. I wonder if anyone can really 'move' to Thailand. In my point of view Thais make it sometimes quite difficult with all the rules and regulations. I haven't sat in so many offices anywhere in the world with so much paperwork. The other point is that they never consider you a Thai. Not even if you look like one, speak Thai and so on. You will be farang. Your physical body may be in Thailand but it never "moves" there. Unless if not buried that is.

Edited by onni4me

Nor am I convinced I will stay here forever, for many of the same reasons you list in your post onni4me.

I, too, have lived here for over 4 years. In the last year or so I have become rather "homesick" for the west, like you, I find the cultural offerings simply aren't here for me. I find the weather to be simply awful--almost all the year--and the pollution is appalling. Costs are really about the same here for me as they are in the west. What tipped the scales for me though was the PAD takeover of the airport. I can understand protests in any democracy but the implication that the powers-that-be were actually supporting this group is particularly chilling in terms of the future.

Back to the topic. I moved here because of my bf. We are happy together after four plus years and are currently making plans for him to take a MBA degree, probably in Southern California. I am looking forward to our living together there. Family ties are very strong and we will keep a basic residence here as well. I love my Thai family and they have enriched my life, but I don't see myself staying here on a full time basis after next year.

I moved to Thailand at age 70 (five years ago mainly to escape the suffocating christian American culture and the excesses of the Bush administration (talk about evil empires). I have never been so happy and feel so accepted and I have no plans to ever return to the United States of greed, indifference and persecution. My standard of living in Thailand far exceeds that of the States. I shutter at the thought of living in a country that elected King George the Bush and his evil christian soldiers and practices. While Obama will soon be Commander-in-Chief, 46% of the people voted to continue the Bush administration policies through his nominee McCain. I would never expose myself to the ignorance and hate of that 46% ever again. With all of its faults, the worst day in Thailand is better than the best day in the States. American immigration is a gestapo look-alike (Bush storm-troopers). So essentially, I am in Thailand as a refugee from ignorance, hate, greed (consider wall street), intolerance (the christians) and the shredding of the U.S. Constitution by the born-again Republican Nazis (who are probably planning the assassination of Obama right now). Am I bitter at my birth country? You becha yer sweet ass!

I like the lifestyle here,very easy going,the weather for me is perfect,and above all i like the thais cos they always say hello and smile and that makes me feel good,cost of living too is important,i wanted somewhere cheaper than the westernised counties,and thais dont worry about tomorrow and i see them helping each other out all the time,not selfish like the west..............these points are just generalised,its just an overall feeling about the place and i like it all very much.

So essentially, I am in Thailand as a refugee from ignorance, hate, greed (consider wall street), intolerance

i am thinking about doing the same

the type of accidents below http://ginmar.livejournal.com/1622768.html

"Some trans people are killed as the result of being denied medical services specifically because of their trans status, for example, Tyra Hunter, a transsexual woman who died in 1995 after being in a car accident. EMTs who arrived on the scene stopped providing her with medical care—and instead laughed and made slurs at her—upon discovering that she had male genitals."

makes me think it would be very dangerous to transition and not live in Thailand.

My partner and I moved here nearly 3 years ago and run a program to retire old elephants. Despite elephant handling being a virtually male only profession we have experienced no discrimination whatsoever. In fact everyone loves us and accepts us. As managers we have no issue being respected and listened to. Whereas in Australia my gf could'nt get a job with elephants because she wasnt the "bay watch" type. Thank god for homophobia in our own country as we probably wouldnt have ended up here. We intend to stay forever, and have no issue with our work permits etc.

Nor am I convinced I will stay here forever, for many of the same reasons you list in your post onni4me.

I, too, have lived here for over 4 years. In the last year or so I have become rather "homesick" for the west, like you, I find the cultural offerings simply aren't here for me. I find the weather to be simply awful--almost all the year--and the pollution is appalling. Costs are really about the same here for me as they are in the west. What tipped the scales for me though was the PAD takeover of the airport. I can understand protests in any democracy but the implication that the powers-that-be were actually supporting this group is particularly chilling in terms of the future.

Back to the topic. I moved here because of my bf. We are happy together after four plus years and are currently making plans for him to take a MBA degree, probably in Southern California. I am looking forward to our living together there. Family ties are very strong and we will keep a basic residence here as well. I love my Thai family and they have enriched my life, but I don't see myself staying here on a full time basis after next year.

I shouldn't think it would be too difficult to return to southern California the land of plenty and sunshine and good wine. Can't say the same about freezing cold Britain with its icy weather and icy people. (women in particular). I am curious why some here wouldn't return to their home country because of these complex political and ideological reasons. It's one's personal life that's important. Warm weather, food in your belly, love, financially comfortable etc. These are the things that really matter, not whether Bush, Brown, Mickey Mouse or whoever is in power.

I haven't yet had the good fortune of relocating there indefinitely yet but I'm working on it. :o

It's difficult to narrow down to just one reason but if I had to then it is because my partner lives there currently and I certainly want us to live together since he's the best thing to ever happen to me! :D

I haven't yet had the good fortune of relocating there indefinitely yet but I'm working on it. :o

It's difficult to narrow down to just one reason but if I had to then it is because my partner lives there currently and I certainly want us to live together since he's the best thing to ever happen to me! :D

I think that's a very good reason!

Same situation for me !

• 3 weeks later...

I arrived at age 38.

The thing that impressed me most was in Korat.

I was walking around a shopping Mall and saw a group of mid teens, boys and girls.

One boy was so camp, but yet he was accepted as part of the group

in a way that he could never have been back home.............

Later, my son aged 9, had a large collection of soft toys on his bed.

His collection, though I had contributed.

His school friends saw the toys, but never made fun of him.

I might add that he is straight and now has a wife and child.

The West clings to stereo-types which are offensive and unrealistic.

^ :o

You're one of the saner straight fathers I know of, then, Astral- and your son was so lucky his father wasn't shackled by homophobia. It's mainly in AngloSaxon countries that men are so afraid of giving the impression of not being manly, that they twist themselves and others into knots.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved to Thailand in 2007 with one goal-to be nearer to my loved one. That has never happened. Just the same I have been staying here because eventually I have met a lot of good friends both Thais and farangs who have made my stay in the countrty fun and meaningful. I have also gained a better appreciation of the Thai culture through my interactions with the locals, travels to the other parts of Thailand and studying Thai. It's been a fantastic cultural immersion. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Why not? Home is always there and only 11 hours away. Why not experience another culture. You should know instinctively when it's time for you to go back (or move on...)

There are certainly lots of things I would miss if I didn't live here. Also many things I couldnt afford to do if I returned home.

The things that puts the biggest smile on my face is the exchange rate. Cheshire cat time!

i was just wondering if some of the member here decided to come and live in Thailand because it is a more open and accepting society?

if yes when what event made you decide to move and at what age?

look around you

the wonderful happy people, the smiles, the love, the heart

the smell of the air at dawn

sure, there are certain things which need to be improved ( human rights, etc) but by and large thailand is really such a great place who could not love it

• 2 weeks later...
i was just wondering if some of the member here decided to come and live in Thailand because it is a more open and accepting society?

if yes when what event made you decide to move and at what age?

Good question. I'll use it to make my introduction this this forum, this is my first post on ThaiVisa. GWM in an LTR. Can't think of other abbreviations. Hi.

I was in Thailand on vacation and liked it. I can't pinpoint what I liked, it was the people, the atmosphere, the food, the country. I had absolutely no gay contacts then. An opportunity at the company I worked for opened, and I was transfered to Bangkok. Found out later how tolerant the society is, and I have no plans any more to move anywhere else.

Oh, I was 27 when I moved here. I'm 46 now.