Jazz Music

keithkarmann

The North Gate Jazz Co-Op has live jazz every night and other than the "open mike" sessions which can be a bit too free with the improvisation it's very reliable with some really great musicians sitting in with the regulars. No cover charge and good value drinks. NGJC is on Siproom Road (that's the inside of the moat) right by Changpuark Gate. Music from 9.30 - midnight. Styles: modern, progressive, fusion type stuff.

The UN Irish Pub has a regular (but not as regular as it was) gig by the excellent New City Gurus. Call them to find out the next date. The only drawback seeing them there is that the crowd (if there is one) is not always there to listen to the music and you can sometimes find yourself next to a table with a bunch of inebriates shouting at each other to be heard over the music.

The Gallery is closed as you say but it was in sore need of an upgrade so it can only be for the good - if ever there was a wasted venue that would come near top of the list. The music there was more dinner jazz style with a lot of old standards and a female vocalist. Not at all to my taste and I very much hope they'll broaden the offering when they open again.

I'm sure that there are some other places (I notice an open mike bar almost opposite The Gallery and a little in the direction of Rimping Condo) and would be pleased to hear about them via this thread too.

234797558_YyjJU-L.jpg

Some of the regulars at the North Gate Jazz Co-Op

234797318_QgkCi-L.jpg

Kevin "Teddy Bear" Bradley on trumpet and LJ on guitar

More NGJC pictures

here

....it looks like a cafe with never very many people in it.

Pretty much like everywhere at the moment, then. :o

The North Gate Jazz Co-Op is excellent. In my opinion, the best musicians in Chiang Mai can be found there. There is another jazz club not far from the NGJC on the same side of the moat. I don't know the name. It has mainly an upscale Thai clientele.

Which direction? Toward Thapae or Central (sorry, East or West)?

Edited by Greenside

The North Gate Jazz Co-Op has live jazz every night ... Music from 9.30 - midnight. Styles: modern, progressive, fusion type stuff.

The NGJC played at the U.S. Consulate's 4th of July party and was well received by everyone. Did a great job; well worth going to see and hear.

....it looks like a cafe with never very many people in it.

Pretty much like everywhere at the moment, then. :o

The North Gate Jazz Co-Op is excellent. In my opinion, the best musicians in Chiang Mai can be found there. There is another jazz club not far from the NGJC on the same side of the moat. I don't know the name. It has mainly an upscale Thai clientele.

Which direction? Toward Thapae or Central (sorry, East or West)?

If you were standing in front of NGJC, facing it - then to your left - Tha Phae direction.

The North Gate Jazz Co-Op has live jazz every night ... Music from 9.30 - midnight. Styles: modern, progressive, fusion type stuff.

The NGJC played at the U.S. Consulate's 4th of July party and was well received by everyone. Did a great job; well worth going to see and hear.

I think that was the New City Gurus.

How oddly coincidental: I was just - this morning! - thinking about the music at the July 4th bash, and wondering who that group was. Thanks for the timely info!

How oddly coincidental: I was just - this morning! - thinking about the music at the July 4th bash, and wondering who that group was. Thanks for the timely info!

By the way, they have two excellent CDs out. I usually regret buying what often turn out to be home produced CDs in a flush of enthusiasm after a good gig but both theirs are top rate, well recorded with a good balance of tracks and only a couple of hundred baht each. They sell them directly (or maybe North Gate have some) but believe me, well worth getting, especially the second one.

Resist the temptation to run one off for a friend (not that I think you would really do that, you understand) :o. These guys need our support and encouraging music making enterprises here is important (well, I think so anyway)

Edited by Greenside

There was more than one band there. I thought that it had to be the NGJC because I have a pictures of "Teddy Bear" on trumpet. But then the drummer and others are not the same as in your pictures, so does he play with more than one band?

post-51749-1229480862_thumb.jpg

Edited by noise

Sunday Evening Jazz in the Park 2009

Every Sunday Evening of January and February 2009

( JANUARY, Sunday 4, 11, 18, 25 )

( FEBRUARY, Sunday 1, 8, 15, 22 )

5.00 -7.00 pm.

Srisangwal Building, College of Music

Payap University, Kaewnawarat Campus

Admission Free !

--------------------------------------------------

วิทยาลัยดุริยศิลป์ มหาวิทยาลัยพายัพ

ขอเชิญชม

ทุกเย็นวันอาทิตย์ ของเดือน มกราคม และ กุมภาพันธ์ 2552

( มกราคม : วันอาทิตย์ที่ 4 , 11 , 18 , 25 )

( กุมภาพันธ์ : วันอาทิตย์ที่ 1 , 8 , 15 , 22 )

เวลา 17.00 - 19.00 น.

ณ ลานสังคีตสโมสร ( สนามหญ้าหน้าตึกศรีสังวาลย์ )

วิทยาลัยดุริยศิลป์ มหาวิทยาลัยพายัพ เขตแก้วนวรัฐ

เข้าชมฟรี !

-----------------------------------------------

THANKS

I Salute you

Every Sunday Evening of January and February 2009

( JANUARY, Sunday 4, 11, 18, 25 )

( FEBRUARY, Sunday 1, 8, 15, 22 )

5.00 -7.00 pm.

Srisangwal Building, College of Music

Payap University, Kaewnawarat Campus

Admission Free !

--------------------------------------------------

วิทยาลัยดุริยศิลป์ มหาวิทยาลัยพายัพ

ขอเชิญชม

ทุกเย็นวันอาทิตย์ ของเดือน มกราคม และ กุมภาพันธ์ 2552

( มกราคม : วันอาทิตย์ที่ 4 , 11 , 18 , 25 )

( กุมภาพันธ์ : วันอาทิตย์ที่ 1 , 8 , 15 , 22 )

เวลา 17.00 - 19.00 น.

ณ ลานสังคีตสโมสร ( สนามหญ้าหน้าตึกศรีสังวาลย์ )

วิทยาลัยดุริยศิลป์ มหาวิทยาลัยพายัพ เขตแก้วนวรัฐ

เข้าชมฟรี !

-----------------------------------------------