Suvarnabhumi To Chiang Mai

nokia

hi folks,

I will be arriving in Suvarnabhumi Airport this wednesday before 1pm and i plan to take bus 554 or a mini-van to Don Muang &

catch a sleeper train to Chiang Mai.

Can i assume that

1. the bus/van will drop me just beside the Don Muang train station &

2. i can still purchase my ticket there instead of going all the way to Hua Lamphong station?

In the event that all the sleeper trains are fully booked, the next option is to take a taxi to MorChit2 northern bus terminal

for a VIP coach to Chiang Mai.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Cheers!

hi folks,

I will be arriving in Suvarnabhumi Airport this wednesday before 1pm and i plan to take bus 554 or a mini-van to Don Muang &

catch a sleeper train to Chiang Mai.

Can i assume that

1. the bus/van will drop me just beside the Don Muang train station &

2. i can still purchase my ticket there instead of going all the way to Hua Lamphong station?

In the event that all the sleeper trains are fully booked, the next option is to take a taxi to MorChit2 northern bus terminal

for a VIP coach to Chiang Mai.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Cheers!

Nokia

Should work OK. However, check the schedule as you might have a long wait at the Don Muang station, and also check available seating. You can purchase a ticket at Don Muang if there's such available.

http://www.railway.co.th/english/index.asp

FYI, Henry J. Beans bar/restaurant opens about 1700 hrs there at the Amari Airport Hotel if you're thirsty and still waiting.

Mac

Mac,

Thanks for replying. You seem to be quite familiar with Don Muang. :o

On the hand, i might take an airport express bus to Hua Lamphong since it's a long wait &

Don Muang station & airport seem to be quite quiet nowadays.

Cheers!

Nokia

Should work OK. However, check the schedule as you might have a long wait at the Don Muang station, and also check available seating. You can purchase a ticket at Don Muang if there's such available.

FYI, Henry J. Beans bar/restaurant opens about 1700 hrs there at the Amari Airport Hotel if you're thirsty and still waiting.

Mac

Mac,

Thanks for replying. You seem to be quite familiar with Don Muang. :o

On the hand, i might take an airport express bus to Hua Lamphong since it's a long wait &

Don Muang station & airport seem to be quite quiet nowadays.

Cheers!

Nokia

Mac

Nokia

Well, yes, Don Muang is rather more handy for me than Swampyboom as I live NE of it out on the Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Road. Handy, too, to Future Park where I can sip a Singha or three with friends coming or going from Don Muang, handy for them too.

Hua Lamphong sounds like a good option especially if you can find a "left luggage" spot, then head out on the street for a bit before your train.

Mac

If you want a 1st class sleeper compartment, those often sell out a few days before the actual trip day.

If you want a 2nd class sleeping ticket, you may have some chance considering your early arrival at the train station.

For my part, I like the 1st class compartments with the family because we and our luggage seem nicely secure behind the locked compartment door. In 2nd class you'd have to mind your luggage a bit.

No problem to buy tickets at DM.

The "available seat" link on the web site mentioned above doesn't seem to work at the moment. I expect that's a bit too much technology for them to swing.

kenk3z