Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Koo82>> Your argument has no case as it is clear the majority of the people doesn't support neither PPP nor the Reds in their different outfits. Even the elections says so.

The voting majority...that's correct, as well as the majority is NOT pro-PAD or pro present government. It's an elitist government, not a people's government.

There is, however, always a silent majority in the country -any given country- and the government better beware if this silent majority starts rising it's voice no matter the colour of the shirts. The colour of the wallet is ALWAYS more important than the colour of the political shirt.

They will raise their voices when the crisis will hit the country in full force this year :o

Abhisit and his government better prepare.

LaoPo

So we have established that the majority of the peopleis not aligned with neither Thaksin/UDD/PPP/et al or Democrats/PAD/whatever.

So do tell us, LaoPo, who are they aligned with?

Maybe they would like to choose 'free will' TAWP - I would have thought you would agree with that - just out of curiosity TAWP do you agree with brainwasing masses in order for them to accept 'their lot in life' and the poo-yai and poo-lek/noi system of patronage?

Are those libertarian values? Just doesn't seem to add up to me. ??

Here's another glimpse into red's ideology, their political "awakening":

The red-shirts shouted: "Take back your Democrat Party and return us Thaksin!"

That was in Lampang, red shirts of Chiang Mai, not be outdone, declared "that a new era of anti-government protests had begun. They said any Democrat Party member and PAD members will be chased away from Chiang Mai if they ever show up."

Where is that poster who routinely accused PAD of ethnic cleansing? Here it is, staring you in your face - no political dissent will be allowed in Chiang Mai, no Democrats, no PAD. The land of "democracy" where everyone must worship Thaksin.

Where are our seemingly educated posters who accused PAD of being fascist? Folks like Younghusband - here it is, staring in your face.

Quotes from http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/01/04...cs_30092361.php

I have no doubt it's uncomfortable for Democrats and certainly for PAD agitators in some parts of the country.Presumably the same applies in some Democrat strongholders for the Reds.Nevertheless regardless of the spin you might wish to put on it the Red protests in Bangkok have been commendably peaceful, far more so than the worst of the PAD excesses.

The latest quotes come from northern reds and their violence is incomparable to anything PAD has ever done, the latest quotes also go beyond street thuggery level, those are political statements, street violence is their method of enforcing their political views.

The true charge of fascism certainly is relevant to the PAD leadership.The ground has been covered already in many posts and extensively in the foreign media.The response of some is to traduce first class journal.ists and the foreign media including the world's leading English language news magazine.To be fair I dont think Abhisit has any more tiime for these gruesome PAD leaders than I do, notwithstanding his ambivalence before taking up the premiership.But in general terms the charge of fascist tendencies among the PAD leadership is irrefutable and frankly I don't know why you bother to dispute it.

Because the first and foremost characteristic of fascism is totalitarism, and it is completely absent in PAD movement or its leadership but all too obvious among pro-Thaksin reds.

BTW, the charge of fascism is thrown around because of its heavy connotations first and foremost, not because of actual compliance with fascist ideology. It's like you can't be a fascist unless you slaughter millions of jews so no one takes the accusation seriously.

Nonsense. Taken point by point, TRT was growing into a nice fascist party and has developed a "healthy" fascist following in areas it had under its control.

>>>

I remember reading a post by Koo about her arrival and settlement in Thailand, I only remember that it was a rather long time ago.

I remember reading a post by Koo about her arrival and settlement in Thailand, I only remember that it was a rather long time ago.

:o Why don't you just go through my history? I participate in a few subjects only. Not too many to check.

All I can recall are:

- Topics: white shirt (is it sexy?), dog food price went up

- Posts: high heel shoes, Khun Thaksin, Khun Samak, Khun Somchai, Nai Abhisit, PAD.

So, you are a Thai? :o

She has avoided that question a number of times.

beginning with...

I've been called troll since I had a few posts.

Because you like to call people trolls if they are new on this board - as you called me - was this your question to her/him? Did you leave that out? Perhaps these are more editing mistakes?? I assume you are not a news editor..just a 'newsie' as an editor would follow the two-source rule - and would refrain from silly comments one normally associates with The Nation (on a daily basis) under the disguise of 'news'.

Edited by aromsia

So we have established that the majority of the peopleis not aligned with neither Thaksin/UDD/PPP/et al or Democrats/PAD/whatever.

Maybe they would like to choose 'free will' TAWP - I would have thought you would agree with that - just out of curiosity TAWP do you agree with brainwasing masses in order for them to accept 'their lot in life' and the poo-yai and poo-lek/noi system of patronage?

Are those libertarian values? Just doesn't seem to add up to me. ??

Whatever you are smoking, stop it. Since it's making you dream up straw man arguments that you have no backing for.

So we have established that the majority of the people is not aligned with neither Thaksin/UDD/PPP/et al or Democrats/PAD/whatever.

Their wallet, their family....? What do YOU think TAWP ?

...since 49%, or more than 18 million* workers of the Thai work force is still working in agriculture and has to survive on less than Baht 3,500 a month....you tell me.

* these 18 million workers have a wife/husband, children, parents to take care of.....how many would their total be TAWP...any idea ?

So, who do you think they would go for...Abhisit ?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Koo82, even when 90 000 who showed up at that meeting its only 1,38% of the population, by all the good will I can show, I can't call this a "majority of Thais" not even a "small minority" maybe we can call it "some people demonstrate". A good rock concert have more public. But most new sources wrote that at most 50 000 demonstrators filled the stadium that is about 0.7% of the population.

Are you somewhere related with the man of the picture?

I remember when PAD started their big concert in Aug last year, they said they were majority of Thais fighting for democracy (huh?). After a few months especially after seeing the reds filling stadiums, they stopped saying so.

Don't forget that most of the reds live in rural areas, who are struggling in their daily lives and who cannot afford all the travel to Bangkok to join the protest. Otherwise no stadium can handle them.

What is the go if I know or have relation with the man in the picture?

Dubbed Comical Ali by some British newspapers, the Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf has become a cult figure thanks to his wild claims and colourful language.

(I am not allowed to post a link :D ...what a laugh this site has become !)

Has there been such a notable change just in the 5 hours since you joined? :D

Substitute joined with banned, and we'll be nearer the truth. :D

Posting style seems very familiar. :o

what is his 'posting style' ?

comments that are only oneliners and come with an infantile smiley.

i am not sure if you can speak of a typical "posting style" after 5-6 commets this user had made. give him some time, there are other members on this board who didn't realised, even after 4000 entries they made, how stupid and imbecile those simlies and how much unnecessary blah blah most of those one liner comments are.

I see the incumbant PAD faschist sympathisers are still at it.SAD

What is important is that thai democracy has been castrated by the loose association of royalists, businessmen and elite, ...and that Abisit, deep down inside, knows he's a phoney.

Only by caling an election can he show that they havn't got his balls also.

The first 2 years were run by the military guy who did not spend any day in election campaigns.

Just on a point of fact here, the military-appointed junta was in power for 15 months, not 2 years. :D

but they were able to meddle into fiscal budget for two years, raising military expenses 25% in 2006 and then another 40% in 2007 :o

The other poster said Thailand was in deep &^%$ for 3 years after they kicked Khun Thaksin out. The first 2 years after Khun Thaksin has gone was what I talked about.

Koo, the first 2 years, after Thaksin was finally gone (in September 2006) from the position of appointed (not elected) caretaker-PM , would include about 9 months of the PPP-led coalition-government, including all of Samak's term & part of Somchai's. The junta-appointed ,military-government ran only 15 months, from the September 2006, to the elections in December 2007.

I'm not trying to hassle you personally on this, just trying to be more accurate, I suspect that when you said '2 years of military government' you actually meant '15-months of military government'. :D

The first 2 years were run by the military guy who did not spend any day in election campaigns.

Just on a point of fact here, the military-appointed junta was in power for 15 months, not 2 years. :D

but they were able to meddle into fiscal budget for two years, raising military expenses 25% in 2006 and then another 40% in 2007 :o

The other poster said Thailand was in deep &^%$ for 3 years after they kicked Khun Thaksin out. The first 2 years after Khun Thaksin has gone was what I talked about.

Koo, the first 2 years, after Thaksin was finally gone (in September 2006) from the position of appointed (not elected) caretaker-PM , would include about 9 months of the PPP-led coalition-government, including all of Samak's term & part of Somchai's. The junta-appointed ,military-government ran only 15 months, from the September 2006, to the elections in December 2007.

I'm not trying to hassle you personally on this, just trying to be more accurate, I suspect that when you said '2 years of military government' you actually meant '15-months of military government'. :D

Ricardo, as she was referring to my comment about the country "in deep shit for 3 years", I'll try and make some sense of it. Since pretty much late 2005, the country has been pretty divided, various factions bickering, which resulted in a Kings speech which was clearly directed at Thaksin and his ilke. The bickering as we know continued, with Sonthi and his Mob demonstrating, and the farce election which was boycottted by Parties. In the end nothing was going nowhere, and we then had the Coup, and a further 15 months of self interest. What followed was not in the least surprising, the PPP were able to form a coalition governemnt, when other parties got onto the Thaksin gravy train. The problems continued, as it was quite clear that all they were intent on, was changing the constitution to allow Thaksin to avoid further charges and return to the country. I guess if we look at it, 3 years is about the amount of time this country has been stuck in this particular round of bickering and bullshit. So for Koo the two years would be about right.

(I am not allowed to post a link :D ...what a laugh this site has become !)

Has there been such a notable change just in the 5 hours since you joined? :D

Substitute joined with banned, and we'll be nearer the truth. :D

Posting style seems very familiar. :o

what is his 'posting style' ?

comments that are only oneliners and come with an infantile smiley.

i am not sure if you can speak of a typical "posting style" after 5-6 commets this user had made. give him some time, there are other members on this board who didn't realised, even after 4000 entries they made, how stupid and imbecile those simlies and how much unnecessary blah blah most of those one liner comments are.

I think his second post suggests that it is another rebirth. I can't be bothered getting into an argument with you. :D (emotion added just for you)

Chalerm heads non-parliamentary session

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 5/01/2009 at 10:48 AM

Puea Thai party MP Chalerm Yubamrung said Pracharaj party leader Sanoh Thienthong assigned him to lead the opposition during a non-parliamentary session on Monday at Miracle Grand Hotel, Bangkok.

"I will question the Democrat party's populist policy, which is wrong in terms of financial and monetary regulations. However, they appear to comply when they should be ashamed of themselves. If they want to use this policy, they should know that it was Pol Lt-Col Thaksin Shinawatra’s idea,” said the opposition core member.

If Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva still has the presence of mind and is not being deluded, he should resign so a national government can be formed, according to veteran politician Sanoh.

Puea Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said his party will ask the administrative court to revoke the order for a House session called by House Speaker Chai Chidchob as well as the order to appoint cabinet members because they are against the law.

Charlerm is an idiot. Anyone who wants him as a spokesman for their ideals and visions is also an idiot. Period.

And where is Mr. Happy Toilet. I wonder if he still has a job? - SR could we have a photo of Mr. Happy Toilet, to remember happier times by?

Edited by jbowman1993

So we have established that the majority of the people is not aligned with neither Thaksin/UDD/PPP/et al or Democrats/PAD/whatever.

Their wallet, their family....? What do YOU think TAWP ?

...since 49%, or more than 18 million* workers of the Thai work force is still working in agriculture and has to survive on less than Baht 3,500 a month....you tell me.

* these 18 million workers have a wife/husband, children, parents to take care of.....how many would their total be TAWP...any idea ?

So, who do you think they would go for...Abhisit ?

LaoPo

At the last election both the PPP and the Dems got about 41% of the vote from the 70% of the electorate that voted. That means that they both got just under 29% of the total electorate. It can probably be assumed from that statistic that at that point in time neither had the support of the majority of the people in the country. That is not to say to say a party cannot win an election on such a percentage or even lower which of course is a completely different matter. How it would go now, who knows.

Chalerm heads non-parliamentary session

PTP MP Chalerm Yubamrung said Pracharaj party leader Sanoh Thienthong assigned him to lead the opposition during a non-parliamentary session on Monday at Miracle Grand Hotel, Bangkok.

Charlerm is an idiot. Anyone who wants him as a spokesman for their ideals and visions is also an idiot. Period.

And where is Mr. Happy Toilet. I wonder if he still has a job? - SR could we have a photo of Mr. Happy Toilet, to remember happier times by?

And STILL no official Opposition Leader has been chosen for weeks:

352.jpg

PTP MP Police Lieutenant-Colonel (don't confuse with former TRT MP Police Lieutenant-Colonel Thaksin) SOMCHAI PETPRASERT

Chalerm tipped to be Opposition Leader

The Pheu Thai Party (PTP) will this evening hold a preliminary meeting to nominate the Opposition Leader, MP Somchai Paetprasert said on Friday.

Somchai said the majority of his Party's lawmakers want MP Chalerm Yoobamrung to Lead the Opposition.

- The Nation / 2008-12-19

Another kick in the pants for the families of all those murdered and terrorised by the Yoobamrung sons. And PPP/PTP have the gall to say they are for the people.

*they've been spared... for now...but the question then becomes, Who?.... Sanoh has already said he doesn't want it*

Chalerm says he will not accept post of Opposition Leader

Former Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said Monday that he will not accept the post of the Opposition Leader.

Chalerm, a PTP MP, said other PTP MPs are more qualified for the post and are more senior than him.

Chalem said he believed Pracharaj Party Leader Sanoh Thienthong was more qualified for the post.

- The Nation / 2008-12-22

PTP Spokesman Prompong Nopparit said his party will ask the administrative court to revoke the order for a House session called by House Speaker Chai Chidchob as well as the order to appoint cabinet members because they are against the law.

800px-Prompong_Nopparit.jpg

Actor Prompong Nopparit, a [former] spokesman for the Ministry of Culture, is the first to make his handprint in the concrete at the National Film Archive of Thailand in Salaya, Nakhom Pathom, which used the event to unveil its new cinema and museum building.

May 22, 2008

===================

He's still acting as there was nothing wrong with what happened.

2 for 1...

30070474-01.jpg

Wan Yoobamrung who is appointed as "Mr Happy Toilet" launches clean toilet campaign at Hualampong Train Station on Wednesday.

The Nation

Mr Happy Urinal. I advise you revise your usual distance about a step back.

wall_urinal.jpg

2 for 1...

30070474-01.jpg

Wan Yoobamrung who is appointed as "Mr Happy Toilet" launches clean toilet campaign at Hualampong Train Station on Wednesday.

The Nation

wall_urinal.jpg

Well that just made my day! :o

2 for 1...

30070474-01.jpg

The Nation

wall_urinal.jpg

Well that just made my day! :o

Mine to. The big question now, will the Democrats have their own Mr Happy Toilet? Such a big Job.

Just to give a bit of perspective on the red/yellow loveathon of unpaid nice people depending on who you support. Both sides have indulged in acts of violence and have killed people. A high profile representative such as the PM seen on the other side would be ill advised to go anywhere near either lot and no doubt get the same advice from security services.

By the way the red shirts are not representative of all those upcountry folks who voted TRT/PPP as are the yellow shirts not represebntative of all the folks who voted Dem. This simplistic analysis of how things stand to reduce it all to black and white doesnt work. There are many people who voted Dem or PPP who are quite willing to give the other side a go. There have ben village meetings in very PPP areas where people spoke of/voted to give Abhisit a chance. Few people really want to see the country suffer any more right now and few are willing to forego their inconmce in pursuit of a narrow minded politcal agenda which the extremes of both sides espouse.

I could persoanlly name people paid by both red and yellw sides in both of their most recent escapapdes and I could also personally name people who went voluntarily to both. That is the way it is. That is how street demos in Thailand work. There is no black and white just the usual shades of grey but by trying to create black and white the organisers of movements (of either side) can attract a crowd who buy the black and white line as people in general like things to be seen as simple and like to back a horse. Some may say this attracts more gullible elements of society and they be right. Not only in Thailand but that is how street politcs functions worldwide. The hideous Thammakai religious sect uses similar methods to the reds (who it could be argued they are close to) and yellows.

It is time to get away from analysis that sees things in simplistic terms while missing the obvious and realise everything is a lot more complicated than presented.

Now now Mr. Red.

You should know by now that such reasoned posts don't belong in the news clipping section.

Good call anyway.

Just to give a bit of perspective on the red/yellow loveathon of unpaid nice people depending on who you support. Both sides have indulged in acts of violence and have killed people. A high profile representative such as the PM seen on the other side would be ill advised to go anywhere near either lot and no doubt get the same advice from security services.

By the way the red shirts are not representative of all those upcountry folks who voted TRT/PPP as are the yellow shirts not represebntative of all the folks who voted Dem. This simplistic analysis of how things stand to reduce it all to black and white doesnt work. There are many people who voted Dem or PPP who are quite willing to give the other side a go. There have ben village meetings in very PPP areas where people spoke of/voted to give Abhisit a chance. Few people really want to see the country suffer any more right now and few are willing to forego their inconmce in pursuit of a narrow minded politcal agenda which the extremes of both sides espouse.

I could persoanlly name people paid by both red and yellw sides in both of their most recent escapapdes and I could also personally name people who went voluntarily to both. That is the way it is. That is how street demos in Thailand work. There is no black and white just the usual shades of grey but by trying to create black and white the organisers of movements (of either side) can attract a crowd who buy the black and white line as people in general like things to be seen as simple and like to back a horse. Some may say this attracts more gullible elements of society and they be right. Not only in Thailand but that is how street politcs functions worldwide. The hideous Thammakai religious sect uses similar methods to the reds (who it could be argued they are close to) and yellows.

It is time to get away from analysis that sees things in simplistic terms while missing the obvious and realise everything is a lot more complicated than presented.

Now now Mr. Red.

You should know by now that such reasoned posts don't belong in the news clipping section.

Good call anyway.

Agreed, very spot on.

Any irony though that "Red" is now the opposition to the establishment, when back in the 70's it was a supporter. Red Gaur anybody?

The true charge of fascism certainly is relevant to the PAD leadership.The ground has been covered already in many posts and extensively in the foreign media.The response of some is to traduce first class journal.ists and the foreign media including the world's leading English language news magazine.To be fair I dont think Abhisit has any more tiime for these gruesome PAD leaders than I do, notwithstanding his ambivalence before taking up the premiership.But in general terms the charge of fascist tendencies among the PAD leadership is irrefutable and frankly I don't know why you bother to dispute it.

Because the first and foremost characteristic of fascism is totalitarism, and it is completely absent in PAD movement or its leadership but all too obvious among pro-Thaksin reds.

BTW, the charge of fascism is thrown around because of its heavy connotations first and foremost, not because of actual compliance with fascist ideology. It's like you can't be a fascist unless you slaughter millions of jews so no one takes the accusation seriously.

Nonsense. Taken point by point, TRT was growing into a nice fascist party and has developed a "healthy" fascist following in areas it had under its control.

I'm sorry but this really won't do.Totalitarianism is a hallmark of many movements from right to left, not least communist regimes.I have always tried to be careful in stressing the PAD movement contained elements of fascism and was not per se a fascist movement.That is fact pure and simple.I can elaborate if you really want but frankly the ground has been covered to the point of tedium.I have some sympathy for your comment on charges of fascism being thrown around rather carelessly.My comments on PAD's fascist tendencies is specifically related to some overlap with the nuts and bolts of fascist ideology - to the extent that such a mish mash of hate and prejudice has the intellectual rigour to form an ideology at all.

I don't know what to say about your view that TRT was growing into a nice fascist party.It's simply not true.How can one begin a discussion with this delusion.I'm not saying TRT wasn't mad, bad and dangerous to know just that it wasn't a proto-fascist movement.For that one has to look to PAD.

^I (uncommonly) agree with Plus on this.

The F word is just too loaded and politicised nowadays with inferrences of Jew-killing, Holocaust etc.

Even though this wasn't the original technical definition, say back in the twenties, thats the way it is now.

So better to find a more accurate, alternative synonym.

^I (uncommonly) agree with Plus on this.

The F word is just too loaded and politicised nowadays with inferrences of Jew-killing, Holocaust etc.

Even though this wasn't the original technical definition, say back in the twenties, thats the way it is now.

So better to find a more accurate, alternative synonym.

Well Hitler wasn't a fascist - he was a 'national socialist' you'll recall - an ultra-nationalist - but not a fascist (though he was paranoid about communists). Fascists are Franco, Pinochet, Batista, Mussolini..They are ultra-right-wingers. Hitler was a radical-populist-nationalist with a racist bent. He singled out the 'perceived' rich element of German and Euro society to try to suggest they (the Jews) were the bain of all the economical and social problems of Germany's hard-working common people off teh abcks of the WW1 Versailles treaty. (I'm not defending him - so give me a break ok? This is a historical reality)

Now back on track - has anyone pinned down Abhisit on the "policy" regarding the next election? I don't mean 'when', but a confirmation that the 'make-up' of parliament will remain 100% chosen by the people, and not some quasi system where appointees make up 49 or 51% of the seats. Anyone chasing this up? Any "Thai journalists"? (didn't think so..)

Edited by aromsia

Anyone chasing this up? Any "Thai journalists"? (didn't think so..)

I do find it a notable phenomena that on Forums generally, people feel such a sense of entitlement to free news delivered immediately.

With the recent fire- in the wee hours - posters were complaining that the wires were not quick enough on the story and were off the desk (on new years eve).

Anyone chasing this up? Any "Thai journalists"? (didn't think so..)

I do find it a notable phenomena that on Forums generally, people feel such a sense of entitlement to free news delivered immediately.

With the recent fire- in the wee hours - posters were complaining that the wires were not quick enough on the story and were off the desk (on new years eve).

You don't think that during the last three or four weeks anyone should have clarified with Abhisit that the Parliament formed through the next election - when it comes - would be formed exclusively through one-person-one-vote, and not include ANY appointed representatives? Rather a major question isn't it??

They have had plenty of time to rabbit on about other minor issues...but not that? THE major issue?