Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

The new PM has a long hard en difficult task ahead of him. The country is divided and an unseen economical crisis is knocking at the door. I wish him all the best to conquer this difficulties. Let us all hope that he is the first of a new generation of politicians who are young, good educated, have new ideas and not handicapted by a shadow of corruption hanging over them.

This could be a turning point in Thai politics.

Lets hope he succeed, because if he fails the future of Thailand will look very grim.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Democrats in Thailand and i would like God keep his eyes on this people.

This was the last moment for ANY positive change.

But...Let's have a look: is this some reasons for any celebration? I don't think so and Mr.Abhisit knows that, as well.

In politic life in any country, to vote in proportion 233:197 is not some victory and would not keep anybody calmed.Too close.

Long time ago, i had a feeling Mr. Abhisit will be a PM very soon. I read about Democrats history here.

In my opinion, it was not about the right time for Mr.Abhisit and i would not be in his shoes, at all. Too many hard and complicated, unsolved situations are waiting him. Some of them are extremely dangerous for the country.

I just know he will do the best to reform this country,as much as he can and it's out of the question.

He is well educated, he is coming from higher class of Thai society and he will not be primitive and interested to swim in money.He is born to be a leader and with very clear vision what this country needs.

Personal values he has, might be exactly be what will makes him voulnerable and to fall in trouble.

This is Thailand and we all knows what way things works here.

Majority of people, established on power(one way or another) will not be able to deal with so clean face as Abhisit has. That's for sure. So what he can do? To give up and to betray hope of milions of people in Thailand? Or to attack?

In case he don't give up to fight against all evil things here(or to look for some freaky compromise) he has to face with corupted structures in this society and he will ruin their interest. He is dangerous for their way they used so they will not stay calm.

As i can see, the only way he has is to make some kind of EXPERTS TEAM, to make some PROJECT to develop Thailand. That would be just repeating of 1990 or 1992 time, when Democrats saved country from absolute colaps.

Posters asked here what the yellow shirts will do now. In my opinion - nothing. "Dead end street" for them but the chances are for the red shirts. I'm affraid Abhisit will be forced to buy some time by making compromise with Mr.T. Making some PROJECT for to save the country would be an excellent gateway for Mr.Abhisit. Democrats made it once and i think they are going to do it again.

However, this country need to be reformed and all turtles MUST to be cleaned from their positions soon as possible, because they are devastating public image of this country.

God help to Thais! Good luck from the bottom of my heart...

The coalition will only last a few weeks, after the bielections, Thaksin supporters will vote 30 new MPs , enough to tip the balance.

The byelections are curently:

16 Chart Thai and 13 PPP constituencies on Jan 11

Chetta and the dead Dems seat to be announced.

Will PPP actually pick up 18 seats they currently dont hold? Chart Thai are now in the Dem coalition. Then again when they ran in the last election they ran promising not to back PPP as government so it is probably not much of a net change in how constituents view them.

The government will also last at least until the next parlaimentary session. It is also moot whether the PTP will have anything to no-confidence them on in that session. A bigger test for the government will probably be in the second parlaimentary session of next year.

Another thing to bear in mind is PTP are now in opposition. The budget for next year has still not been disburssed. That means when it is it iwll be the Dems and allies who benefit from it leaving a lot of PTP MPs and faction leaders with significant cash defiicts having failed to recoup any of the expenses of ther last election while in government. Will they want an election?

It's funny to read some of the posts from the T camp. Before, they were crying that their puppet government was democratically elected. Now that the Dems has won Parliament vote BY THE SAME ELECTED MP's, they cry something else. Would it please you more if PTP won? A party that NEVER contended the election. Where is the one person one vote arguments now? You are arguing a lost case. Get over it...or better, move. We don't really need the Farang Thaksin camp in this country.

Oh, you think we will miss your $$$? Why is it that foreign companies still pours $$$ into our country? Does it have to do with the fact that Thailand is one of the high potential country for investment in Asia? Undervalued price of estate, cheap skilled labor, strategically located, cheap alcohol, nice beaches, never a boring day AND you get treated like Tom Cruise here. Feel free to miss the train.

Congratulations to Democrats in Thailand and i would like God keep his eyes on this people.

This was the last moment for ANY positive change.

But...Let's have a look: is this some reasons for any celebration? I don't think so and Mr.Abhisit knows that, as well.

In politic life in any country, to vote in proportion 233:197 is not some victory and would not keep anybody calmed.Too close.

Long time ago, i had a feeling Mr. Abhisit will be a PM very soon. I read about Democrats history here.

In my opinion, it was not about the right time for Mr.Abhisit and i would not be in his shoes, at all. Too many hard and complicated, unsolved situations are waiting him. Some of them are extremely dangerous for the country.

I just know he will do the best to reform this country,as much as he can and it's out of the question.

He is well educated, he is coming from higher class of Thai society and he will not be primitive and interested to swim in money.He is born to be a leader and with very clear vision what this country needs.

Personal values he has, might be exactly be what will makes him voulnerable and to fall in trouble.

This is Thailand and we all knows what way things works here.

Majority of people, established on power(one way or another) will not be able to deal with so clean face as Abhisit has. That's for sure. So what he can do? To give up and to betray hope of milions of people in Thailand? Or to attack?

In case he don't give up to fight against all evil things here(or to look for some freaky compromise) he has to face with corupted structures in this society and he will ruin their interest. He is dangerous for their way they used so they will not stay calm.

As i can see, the only way he has is to make some kind of EXPERTS TEAM, to make some PROJECT to develop Thailand. That would be just repeating of 1990 or 1992 time, when Democrats saved country from absolute colaps.

Posters asked here what the yellow shirts will do now. In my opinion - nothing. "Dead end street" for them but the chances are for the red shirts. I'm affraid Abhisit will be forced to buy some time by making compromise with Mr.T. Making some PROJECT for to save the country would be an excellent gateway for Mr.Abhisit. Democrats made it once and i think they are going to do it again.

However, this country need to be reformed and all turtles MUST to be cleaned from their positions soon as possible, because they are devastating public image of this country.

God help to Thais! Good luck from the bottom of my heart...

Even if you wished it to go the other way,

it would be in everyones best interest to wish

the New PM, and his government Chok dee krab.

Yes we can expect a likely violent Red Shirt negative reaction.

They don't seem to deal with defeat too well.

And a measured positive response fropm PAD, who will stay cloistered

and go back to talking mode.

The wild card is how Dr. T. takes this,

where will he put his cash and to what end.

He remains the 800lb gorilla in the corner....

what IS his quotient of desperation today?

One way or another

Thailand abides!

I have watched the reaction of the yellow shirted PAD supporters to a democratic government over the last few months and note that their reaction to any defeat they have suffered to government decisions were not legal. So as to not being able to take defeat very well, kettle calling the frying pan I think!

Them shutting down the airports for a MONTH wouldn't do as much damage to the country than Toxin would if he was in power.

Sorry Thanh, but by this statement I can only assume that you do not clearly understand the extent of the damage that has been done to this country.

The tourism industry has been absolutely decimated to the tune of billions of baht, there is no high season this year thanks to PAD. To compound this even further they are also responsible for the damage to the air freight and logistics industries, lost foreign direct investment in the manufacturing and real estate sectors, then there is the knock on effect to the service industry to consider too, and that's to say nothing of the medium and long term damage that has to be accounted for.

I suggest that you go speak to some hotel staff who are now facing unemployment to see if they agree with your point of view that "nobody was hurt"'!

I understand (but do not necessarily agree with all of) the PAD's complaints but can not see how anyone can find any moral grounds to condone the closure of the airport.

Its not like it helped them to achieve their objectives, the legal system did that independently of the PAD. The only thing the PAD's actions succeeded in was to bring the entire country to its knees.

Adichai.... care to elaborate on who "The Lady" and "her Son" is?

i hope he will be the PM for all the people....

my best wishes for the friends of mine in thailand

BREAKING NEWS:

Abhisit Vejjajiva elected new Prime Minister of Thailand

abhisit-vejjajiva.jpg

Abhisit Vejjajiva elected new PM

BANGKOK: -- Opposition Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva wins a majority with 235 - 198 votes to become Thailands 27th premier

-- MCOT 2008-12-15 at 10:57

It's funny to read some of the posts from the T camp. Before, they were crying that their puppet government was democratically elected. Now that the Dems has won Parliament vote BY THE SAME ELECTED MP's, they cry something else. Would it please you more if PTP won? A party that NEVER contended the election. Where is the one person one vote arguments now? You are arguing a lost case. Get over it...or better, move. We don't really need the Farang Thaksin camp in this country.

Oh, you think we will miss your $? Why is it that foreign companies still pours $ into our country? Does it have to do with the fact that Thailand is one of the high potential country for investment in Asia? Undervalued price of estate, cheap skilled labor, strategically located, cheap alcohol, nice beaches, never a boring day AND you get treated like Tom Cruise here. Feel free to miss the train.

The low wages in manufacturing will always attract gready companies, the problem is that countries poorer than Thailand are now attracting these same companies and jobs are going fast. Thaksin realised that Thailand is competing in a global market and investment from outside helps the econamy to grow thus helping the low paid. He also realised that lots of money comes from ex-pats and tourism benefiting the Thai economy.

To think Thailand will prosper or even just survive by herself is wishful in the very least. Those days are long gone.

From UK's Daily Telegraph:

Old Etonian becomes Thailand's new prime ministerBritish born, Eton and Oxford educated, Abhisit Vejjajiva has become Thailand's new prime minister after he won a tense parliamentary vote.

Mr Abhisit, who is known as "Mark Vejj" to his British friends, was a contemporary of London mayor Boris Johnson at school and university and a year above Tory leader David Cameron. He is Thailand's fourth prime minister this year. There have been two weeks of furious negotiation for the votes of MPs. There are widespread allegations that the army was responsible for organising or coercing Mr Abhisit's supporters. Last night MPs were kept in Bangkok hotels under close supervision and without their mobile telephones, local newspapers reported, to prevent them from being persuaded at the last moment to change sides. Political organisers were reportedly offering around £1 million to buy an MP's vote, or even merely to persuade him to take "sick leave" not turn up to parliament. The vacancy at the top of Thai politics arose after a court dismissed the former prime minister, Somchai Wongsawat, and dissolved the then ruling People Power Party two weeks ago. Mr Abhisit based his pitch for the top job on a pledge to repair Thailand's economy, which was badly damaged when protesters occupied Bangkok's airports for over a week ar the beginning of this month. The Democrat party leader trained as an economist before becoming a Thai MP at the age of 27. "We will restore confidence within the next two or three months," he said on the eve of the vote. But Mr Abhisit did not condemn the airport occupations, which stranded 350,000 travellers, as they were taking place two weeks ago.

Economists believe the protests may have knocked several whole percentage points off Thailand's economy due to lost tourism, lost exports and damage to investor confidence. Critics are now demanding Mr Abhisit punish the protest's leaders, one of whom is a senior MP in his own party. Mr Abhisit has seen his fortunes change dramatically since he was heavily defeated in a general election a year ago. The contest was won by the People Power Party (PPP) who were supporters of the exiled former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Mr Thaksin was overthrown in a military coup in 2006.

Mr Thaksin remains at the heart of Thailand's political chaos. He is adored by the poor majority for his policies of cheap health care and cheap credit. But he is despised by the middle class and the elite in the royal palace and army, who accuse him and his allies of corruption and disloyalty to the monarchy. During its tenure of less than one year the PPP government saw two prime ministers dismissed by the courts. Meanwhile anti-Thaksin "yellow-shirt" protesters overran and camped out in Government House and then took over Bangkok's airports. As MPs voted for Thailand's new leader today around 100 pro-Thaksin "red-shirt" protesters gathered outside. They claim that the army and the courts have united to pull off a second "coup in disguise" against Mr Thaksin and his allies. "We are not going to accept this. (Abhisit) did not win the election," one speaker declared. "We will blockade the gates of Parliament so they (MPs) won't be able to come out."Their protest quickly fizzled out. But with the country still bitterly divided most analysts expect that Thailand's political turbulence will continue.

SOmebody left shoes for Abhisit?

Anything he does would be better than whatever Samak and Somchai didn't do.

True, the economy is not looking up, but he has a broad support in business sectors, and politicians would rather get on with their lives than start fighting all over again by stabbing him in the back.

For Thaksin it's truly over, politically, PTP will have to find its own reasons to exist. They would be a nice, strong opposition that would keep coalition parties on their toes, which is a good thing.

True, and watch the quick departure or madame ex wife what ever her name is on the next first class floght out. Her sick mother will recover magically

I wish him all the best. But, does that mean PAD will never be punished for what they have done to the Country? :o

I think most people want Abhisit to be a successful PM, and if so a long running one. As to the PAD, no, they are untouchable.

Mind you seems Sondhi was channeling all that PAD money through his own company with no records kept. As he is in severe financial trouble he will be missing that cash flow, and could that keep PAD active? Or will now all his debts be forgiven and he is told to go home?

Defence minister and govt spokesman to be non-MPs

New Defence minister and government spokesman will be non-MP, PM-elect Abhisit Vejjajiva said Monday.

Speaking at his party headquarter after being voted as new PM, Abhisit said both positions are Democrat's quota.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30091040

-- - -

Just my gussing:

New Defence Minister = Chamlong (ex-General)

New govt spokesman = Sondhi (speaks very well in PAD rally)

As for Mr Thaksin and his new PR man Sam Moon's 23 years of experience with 'The Economist' group (among others) hopefully this platform may be used to foster unity rather than divisiveness or negative/deflective PR from afar.

are you still post your copypasta BS of that lunatic The Nation conspiration theory on the Economist comment section?

did you check the "International Recognition" Abhisit seems to have. from his CV: "• One of 6 up and coming leaders for Asia, Time magazine 6 October 1997, New Voices for New Asia"

just google "New Voices for New Asia". or look into the TIME archive, than rethink.

and nobody wants to play with the Dem's, beside the army, PAD and Newin Gang. they are alone and admit allready that the have no clue.

However, Suthep (Thaugsuban, Democrat secretary-general) admitted to difficulties in persuading non-MP economic experts to join a new Cabinet, which he blamed on the volatile political situation.

"We may need some outsiders to work in the Cabinet, particularly in the field of the economy, but it is not easy to persuade people due to the ongoing political uncertainties. That's a big worry for us," he said. *

that the Dem's admit on the weekend. we lack of Experts, economy - no idea what to do. but okay, let's run for office, abhisit have such a nice smile.

and all what is said about his education, eton and oxford, means nothing. Abhisit has no clue what TO DO and much worse - he also don't know what he should NOT DO. he is a failure.

7901912o005805dsc01211wn7.jpg

Wonderful news and he at least initially appears to be a decent, honest, sincere and well educated guy, indeed a ray of light in the darkness. I wish him well, he has a tough job ahead of him.

As a guy who was educated at Oxford I wonder whether he will be kinder to falangs living here legally and honestly in LOS. On a purely selfish note it would be great if he allowed at least retirees (and of any age) to own their own houses, albeit with a limited small amount of land say reasonably under 400 square wah or even half of that. Anyway the main thing is for now the well being of this country and its people, and its prosperous future. This is hope at last for the Thai people and I hope a final goodbye to the destructive megalomaniac Toxin (though sadly I somehow doubt it)

Indeed, you are not a litle bit selfish, but very selfish. You are worried about what the impact wil be for yourself. May I remind you that we as farang are not important at all, his sole responsibilty is the welbeing of the Thai public, not the farang.

The low wages in manufacturing will always attract gready companies, the problem is that countries poorer than Thailand are now attracting these same companies and jobs are going fast. Thaksin realised that Thailand is competing in a global market and investment from outside helps the econamy to grow thus helping the low paid. He also realised that lots of money comes from ex-pats and tourism benefiting the Thai economy.

To think Thailand will prosper or even just survive by herself is wishful in the very least. Those days are long gone.

You may be surprised, the fact that unemployment in Thailand will not be a real problem as the masses of up and coming unemployed will be absorbed by the villages and work on agricultural product which will always be in demand by a starving world and the low wages will kick in on manufactured products and tourism once the greedy ones get the message that over pricing is not the answer, which i admit may take some time. Thai National parks included

Wonderful news and he at least initially appears to be a decent, honest, sincere and well educated guy, indeed a ray of light in the darkness. I wish him well, he has a tough job ahead of him.

As a guy who was educated at Oxford I wonder whether he will be kinder to falangs living here legally and honestly in LOS. On a purely selfish note it would be great if he allowed at least retirees (and of any age) to own their own houses, albeit with a limited small amount of land say reasonably under 400 square wah or even half of that. Anyway the main thing is for now the well being of this country and its people, and its prosperous future. This is hope at last for the Thai people and I hope a final goodbye to the destructive megalomaniac Toxin (though sadly I somehow doubt it)

Indeed, you are not a litle bit selfish, but very selfish. You are worried about what the impact wil be for yourself. May I remind you that we as farang are not important at all, his sole responsibilty is the welbeing of the Thai public, not the farang.

... and <deleted> are you! The guy wished the new PM well, the Thai people well and also wishing that we may have an easier time of it. What's wrong with that? We are important, especially in the eyes of our immediate Thai families for those that have them, so get off your soapbox :o

From UK's Daily Telegraph:

Old Etonian becomes Thailand's new prime ministerBritish born, Eton and Oxford educated, Abhisit Vejjajiva has become Thailand's new prime minister after he won a tense parliamentary vote.

Mr Abhisit, who is known as "Mark Vejj" to his British friends, was a contemporary of London mayor Boris Johnson at school and university and a year above Tory leader David Cameron. ................edited....The Democrat party leader trained as an economist before becoming a Thai MP at the age of 27. "We will restore confidence within the next two or three months," he said on the eve of the vote. But Mr Abhisit did not condemn the airport occupations, which stranded 350,000 travellers, as they were taking place two weeks ago.

Economists believe the protests may have knocked several whole percentage points off Thailand's economy due to lost tourism, lost exports and damage to investor confidence. .........edited....Mr Abhisit has seen his fortunes change dramatically since he was heavily defeated in a general election a year ago. The contest was won by the People Power Party (PPP) who were supporters of the exiled former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Mr Thaksin was overthrown in a military coup in 2006.

Mr Thaksin remains at the heart of Thailand's political chaos. He is adored by the poor majority for his policies of cheap health care and cheap credit. But he is despised by the middle class and the elite in the royal palace and army, who accuse him and his allies of corruption and disloyalty to the monarchy.......

Well, looks like "The Daily Telegraph" is in urgent need for some advertising money too... very funny article, but who gives a hoot... here?

Oh, you think we will miss your $? Why is it that foreign companies still pours $ into our country? Does it have to do with the fact that Thailand is one of the high potential country for investment in Asia? Undervalued price of estate, cheap skilled labor, strategically located, cheap alcohol, nice beaches, never a boring day AND you get treated like Tom Cruise here. Feel free to miss the train.

Credits to you Peecee, not many times I see an educated and grown up response.

Thaksin as CEO=great, Thaksin as PM=disaster. Thaksin during his times actually had policies going against foreign investors except for the policies that would benefit his own empire. I have worked in multinational companies and they all complained the same thing. Anything that touched on Telco and IT quickly faded away. If it were not for the Thaksin politics and greediness, we would have seen 3G ages ago. As you correctly pointed out, poorer countries, such as Vietnam, will surpass Thailand if we do not move forward. The only way to forward is without Thaksin and his uneducated puppies.

This is a good day for the country, in my opinion. That they finally managed to put a politician in office who is educated and articulate, with a clear passion for developing education in the country, is one of the best things Thailand could hope for. I wish him nothing but success, as he has a huge and difficult job in front of him.

If you hear that banging sound, that was the final nail in Thaksin's coffin. (or was that T's head against the wall, either way...)

A good day indeed. An anti-democratic , monarchist puppet in charge. No doubt the first act will be to repay Bangkok bank for the cost of the demos. The Lady may think she's won, but this may mark the end for her and her son.

Which lady are you refering to? And which son?

Are we thinking of the same duo?

These politicians were not voted in by the Thai people and neither was the new Prime Minister, there should be new elections called for. This would also inject billions of bart into the country as the corrupt officials would have to spend some of their stolen money by trying to buy votes again. I would bet that UDD would win by a landslide again. :D

Like PAD, UDD is not a party and cannot win election.

Just proves the IQ level and understanding of Thai politics from the Farang Thaksin camp.

Perhaps Ozemade might ask himself why, when the PPP-led coalition was in power a couple of weeks ago, and knowing that the court case was probably going to lead to his losing power, PM Somchai failed to call the new elections which he now calls for, and instead devoted his remaining energy to a very limited set of Constitutional reforms ?

Perhaps he feared that a year of one-policy politics with two lacklustre PMs had not impressed the voters ? Or that his coalition-partners, who were mostly elected on a platform of not joining up with the PPP, might suffer a backlash ?

TRT/PPP/PTP have seen their share of the vote gradually slide, despite Thaksin's money and original popularity, over the past few years. So neither they nor the UDD :o are very certain they might "win by a landslide again". Or they might have called that election. Now we are unlikely to see any of this tested at the ballot-box for a while. :D

Try to talk whit a Thai person, they know better about this new PM, all him family come from south Thailand.

All Thai people I know they said one word: Bad.

At the end him is elected from Pad no?

He must to follow the wishes of the party that give to him the power...

Good luck

I presume you only know a very few Thai people

This is a good day for the country, in my opinion. That they finally managed to put a politician in office who is educated and articulate, with a clear passion for developing education in the country, is one of the best things Thailand could hope for. I wish him nothing but success, as he has a huge and difficult job in front of him.

If you hear that banging sound, that was the final nail in Thaksin's coffin. (or was that T's head against the wall, either way...)

A good day indeed. An anti-democratic , monarchist puppet in charge. No doubt the first act will be to repay Bangkok bank for the cost of the demos. The Lady may think she's won, but this may mark the end for her and her son.

Adichai, I hope you are not Thai, coz if you are the real Thai's will give you a nice round of beating.

Hi.

Now did the yellows EVER attack cars with bricks WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED FIRST..?? I am not aware of such news.

You can talk about them shooting bullets as much as you want, while i did NOT support that action it was clearly after THEY had been attacked by an opposing mob FIRST.

Who is sitting in these cars that has attacked in any way, shape or form any member of the red-shirt-brigade?

Here we see very clearly who the pigs are. They wear red shirts (or head bands and masks).

Regards

Thanh

Really at swampy when they were shooting at the TV van I did not see an oposing mob attacking, care to share the picture?

Also the claims that the red was bombing them, again care to show video or pictures of a confirmed Thanksin supporting doing it? With all the video camera's and digital camera's I find it odd that I have not seen one video / image of the thanksin supporters throwing such bombs?

Their are several pictures of PAD wearing head bands and masks as well. Lets face it both sides are pigs

Well then who was it that attacked the Police cars at the Airport and slashed their tyres, Who was it that took a police woman hostage and put her up on the podium at the airport. Snap out of it. :o

Can't beat an Oxford or Cambridge education, has to be good for the country.

Going to college or a good college does not make him a good leader, time will tell about his abilities to be a good leader or not….

For reference:

USA: Bush went to Yale and Harvard

Cambodia: Pol Pot went to a French college

N. Korea: Kim Jong-il went to college

Zimbabwe: Robert Mugabe went to college

Sudan: Omar al-Bashir went to college

USA: Abraham Lincoln did not go to college

USA: George Washington did not go to college

I think in all countries you will find good leaders that did and did not attend colleges, and you will find bad leaders that did and did not attend college.

George W got into Yale and Harvard as a legacy student-meaning because daddy Bush and grampa Bush went there and gave lots of money to them. Pol Pot went to University on a scholarship where he learned to hate all the rich kids he went to school with. Don't know about the rest.

These guys didn't do Oxford though.

There are colleges and there are COLLEGES. Oxford is in the latter.

Foreign students typically must have very good grades, not connections, to get in a school of this level.

If Bush never had the name and the cash behind him he would NOT have been in EITHER Harvard or Yale.

You can't argue a diminished achievement onto Abhisit , but listing the names above.

Another brain dead post. "W" was not an outstanding student. He was an above average student. Most liberal news media repeat your false claims. If you bother to check his college transcripts, you will discover that he was much above the average for even the Ivy League schools. He also had a great social life while in college.

Oxford is a great school. Does anyone know what area Abhisit's degrees were in?

Good luck to the new Thai government. The Thai people deserve to see a little peace and prosperity.

PPE - Politics, Philosophy, Economics.

He should have followed the rest of the PPE crowd and become a merchant banker. Ooops, they are all out of a job in 6 months also.

... and <deleted> are you! The guy wished the new PM well, the Thai people well and also wishing that we may have an easier time of it. What's wrong with that? We are important, especially in the eyes of our immediate Thai families for those that have them, so get off your soapbox :o

Agreed, as highlighted above, he says "the main thing is for now the well being of this country and its people, and its prosperous future." selfish?

And what's so wrong about wishing to be allowed to buy a piece of land? If a Thai (or anyone else) comes to Australia/England/USA/... s/he is permitted to work any job for which s/he is qualified, and if s/he possesses or earns sufficient funds, s/he may also buy property... Why would we not wish the same in Thailand? He is not asking for a gift... simply the 'privilege' of being allowed to part with his hard earned cash in exchange for a commodity, land, just the same as any other resident of this fine nation is 'allowed'.... how is that selfish? A "hot cash injection" which, by-the-way, would surely benefit the Thai economy in the long-run... how is that selfish?

"Please explain!?" <--- Pauline Hanson 1996 ---> lol

Agreed, Abhisit's main focus will be on the Thai people and not Farang interests, that is as it should be and as it must be... but "Rayw"s hope that, due to the fact that the new P.M. might understand what it's like to be a "Stranger in a strange land" (having been one himself), we receive slightly fairer treatment in this country (to which we have brought our $$) is not much to ask, is it?

henryalleman: I don't say much on this forum but I read a lot, you have said many things which I agree with, and many things that I do not, such is the nature of discussion. However I would hope you try to rethink your stance on this issue.

<--- warfie dons the flame-proof suit ---> (gee, it's getting a bit threadbare...)

These politicians were not voted in by the Thai people and neither was the new Prime Minister, there should be new elections called for. This would also inject billions of bart into the country as the corrupt officials would have to spend some of their stolen money by trying to buy votes again. I would bet that UDD would win by a landslide again. :D

Like PAD, UDD is not a party and cannot win election.

Just proves the IQ level and understanding of Thai politics from the Farang Thaksin camp.

Perhaps Ozemade might ask himself why, when the PPP-led coalition was in power a couple of weeks ago, and knowing that the court case was probably going to lead to his losing power, PM Somchai failed to call the new elections which he now calls for, and instead devoted his remaining energy to a very limited set of Constitutional reforms ?

Perhaps he feared that a year of one-policy politics with two lacklustre PMs had not impressed the voters ? Or that his coalition-partners, who were mostly elected on a platform of not joining up with the PPP, might suffer a backlash ?

TRT/PPP/PTP have seen their share of the vote gradually slide, despite Thaksin's money and original popularity, over the past few years. So neither they nor the UDD :o are very certain they might "win by a landslide again". Or they might have called that election. Now we are unlikely to see any of this tested at the ballot-box for a while. :D

I wouldnt be to sure of that, lets see how things shape up. I think you will see elections taking place sooner than later.

"Abhisit proposes to fix that by amending the constitution should he assume the PM post. That could mean yet another referendum." Time magazine interview.

His thoughts from when he thought he was going to walk into power on the back of the last military set up.

Hope he has the balls to tell PAD and the generals/elite clique where to go and change the constitution back to the agreed 97(?) model. If he can achieve that and deliver his promised education and other reforms to the Isaan people then he maybe a very good solution for the present mess. I wish him the best of luck.

Well said +++1