Accommodation Options For 3-4 Months

londoedan

My contract has just been terminated in Singapore and now is not an attractive time to go back to the UK (fo a number of different reasons).

I'd like to decamp to Pattaya for 3-4 months, starting mid to end-Jan '09. Previously I've stayed in a hotel on the front and I think it was about 900 THB per night. I'm thinking that for a longer stay I'd be better looking at a small apartment or room, ideally with the bedroom separate from the living room. I will not want / need to do any cooking.

Any ideas ?

If possible I'd like to get something for say 10-12K per month, just in case the next job takes longer to pick-up than I would like.

Thanks, in advance,

Simon

For that budget you are realistically looking at a studio in a decent place. You might find some 1 bed place somewhere but certainly not through an agent.

Where do you want ? From North Pattaya to Jomtien there are loads of places.

You say you don't need cooking but if you are really here for so long then you will need some creature comforts and the nightlife will be there wherever you stay. Personally, I'd stay in Jomtien, perhaps in View Talay.

The area's that I stayed in previouslly were hotels around the low number Soi's, near the HRC and up to the TQ area. That area seemed fine to me: I enjoyed spending time on the beach and the nightlife attractions within about 20-30 mins walk of that area. I didn't actually venture around to Jomtien as I was under the impression that it was a bit quieter ?

I quite enjoy eating out, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so have never bothered cooking at home. There seems to be so many options available in Thailand that I don't manage much beyond a cheese sandwich at home.

Perhaps I'll arrive in January, book in a hotel for a few nights and then see whats available. Do you think I'd get something with a separate bedroom for 15-16,000 per month ?

Thanks,

Simon

The area's that I stayed in previouslly were hotels around the low number Soi's, near the HRC and up to the TQ area. That area seemed fine to me: I enjoyed spending time on the beach and the nightlife attractions within about 20-30 mins walk of that area. I didn't actually venture around to Jomtien as I was under the impression that it was a bit quieter ?

I quite enjoy eating out, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so have never bothered cooking at home. There seems to be so many options available in Thailand that I don't manage much beyond a cheese sandwich at home.

Perhaps I'll arrive in January, book in a hotel for a few nights and then see whats available. Do you think I'd get something with a separate bedroom for 15-16,000 per month ?

Thanks,

Simon

hmmmmmm......might get a 1 bed condo at nirun,view talay 1 or a couple of other places for that money but not sure as many want longer term rentals and so then for the shorter term they might charge more as you gonna be dumping the condo at a real quiet time but after saying all that, this year will be quieter in accomodation bookings than previous years so you could be lucky and find somewhere but even so for that money you not going to be in a high end condo.

If u aint cooking then why do you really want a 1 bed unit,a studio would do for that length of time.....you wont be in it much if you out for all your meals anyway.......you might find a 35 to 40 sqm unit which will have room for a decent sofa,table and still not feel too claustraphobic. i have stayed in many 32 sqm condos for months before and had no problems.....ok its nicer to have more space with a seperate bedroom but if you living on your own then im sure you could cope. if you go for a studio you might get a real nice one very near the beach(jomtien) with good view which might be better than extra space but no view and very long walk to the beach.

check out some ads on this forum and others,but also many real estate agents have websites ,dont think many of them are easy to deal with over the net but i suspect if you go to the boards at the big shops when you get here you might get a good deal. goodluck.

ps i might have a house for rent within your price range but it is over the sukhumvit road a few km,so ok if you rent a bike. it has 2/3 bedrooms,large living room,2 bathrooms etc,i hope i would have a long term renter by the time you get here though!!!

You don't need a separate bedroom really. Wanting both a separate bedroom and a short and presumably flexible lease is no going to be easy as you will need to start the lease in January. Personally, I'd book into a relatively cheap hotel on either a weekly or monthly rate and see about somewhere from the beginning of February or something.

I've dealt with these people for years and they are top guys with great Thai staff. http://www.mmt-services.com/index.php?opti...&prop_for2=

I've a couple of other options if you want but I advise looking around first.

torrenova, tattoodrob,

Thanks for the advice and information, I appreciate it and your comments will help me set my expectations and budgets.

I'm going to Indonesia for a month starting on Friday for a holiday and then plan to go back to the UK for about a week to get a multiple entry Tourist visa from one of the consulates there. This should give me 6 months trouble-free period in Thailand and hopefully also give me a bit more scope for renting a decent apartment. I'm budgeting on about 100-120K per month whilst I'm in Pattaya so I think I'll look in the 15K price range for an apartment. My only worry with 6 months is that I'll never want to leave, but there you go, we only live once.

One point about the bedroom situation. I've spent a lot of time working abroad at sites and this has involved fairly long periods ( up to 1 year) in hotel rooms. They were nice hotels, but I always find a separate bedroom much more relaxing, I'm not sure why, maybe its just me.

Simon

For that budget you are realistically looking at a studio in a decent place. You might find some 1 bed place somewhere but certainly not through an agent.

You say you don't need cooking but if you are really here for so long then you will need some creature comforts and the nightlife will be there wherever you stay. Personally, I'd stay in Jomtien, perhaps in View Talay.

Surprised you mention View Talay......it looks horrible to me like government housing in Australia for the poor .....

Quite a few good places in Pattaya Klang that wont set you back too much...

Surprised you mention View Talay......it looks horrible to me like government housing in Australia for the poor .....

Quite a few good places in Pattaya Klang that wont set you back too much...

yeh view talay arent very adventurous with there building designs but all of them have very good locations and inside looks better than the outside and also they are usually fairly good value for money for what they are!!!! anyway you dont spend most of your time outside looking at the building but i get what your saying,maybe they used the same set of building plans for every building :o:D