Have You Ever Driven Into Malaysia?

wimpy

Have you ever driven into Malaysia? I would like to drive down and take a car ferry to Langkawi – assuming there is one. What are the formalities like? Is a Thai driver’s license acceptable, or will I need to get an international? Your experiences would be appreciated.

I've driven across in two places.. Their only concern was my insurance, which they just glanced at the sticker on my car... Didn't get asked to show anything else. No sweat. I don't know the legailty of a Thai DL in Malaysia, though.

Coming back to Thailand, you'll be asked to get out of your car and fill out a smple form with your car ID and how many passengers...

At least that's what it was like... :o

Don't forget that Malaysian cops DO enforce the driving laws... :D

I rode on a Harley from Pattaya to Kuala Lumpar, we were part of a group and we had to get international driving licenses as well as our thai licenses.

The insurance was done for us before we left and at the border we put malaysian registration stickers on the bikes.

Nice riding there, especially the motorway through the hills on the way to KL.

From what I know there are a few things you need, your registration book translated into English, the vehicle in your name or a letter from the owner giving you permission to take it across the border, and the number plate translated into English, for example if you have Tor Tahaan then you would replace it with 'T'.

You purchase insurance at the border from the Malaysian side. Cant remember what else is needed!

From what I know there are a few things you need, your registration book translated into English, the vehicle in your name or a letter from the owner giving you permission to take it across the border, and the number plate translated into English, for example if you have Tor Tahaan then you would replace it with 'T'.

You purchase insurance at the border from the Malaysian side. Cant remember what else is needed!

Did you actually have to go through all that with a car? All that stuff about translating your reg book and license plate sounds like something that may be on the books, but doesn't occur in real life when entering Malaysia. Thousand of cars cross that border every day without doing any such thing, in my experience... If your car has Thai insurance, you don't need to buy it again for Malaysia... As I said, they only looked for my insurance sticker, and didn't ask for anything else going into Malaysia. Granted, the last time was a couple of years ago, but I'd be shocked to hear confirmation that they've changed so much to require all the stuff you mentioned just to travel in Malaysia as a tourist...

I just called another friend who went to Penang in his car last month... Same experience as I reported earlier.

Did you actually have to go through all that with a car? All that stuff about translating your reg book and license plate sounds like something that may be on the books, but doesn't occur in real life when entering Malaysia.

Any Thai-registered vehicle that I have ever seen in Malaysia has had its translated license plate prominently displayed.

A Thai driver's license is valid in Malaysia but once again, it must be translated. I inquired about this once at the Malaysian consulate in Songkhla.

I'm pretty sure that you do also need Malaysian insurance (not any different than US auto insurance not being valid in Mexico). The frequent border crossers no doubt purchase an annual policy so they don't have to constantly hassle with this on each crossing.

every time i have driven to malaysia on bike or car i have just lied and said they were mine when filling out the form on the thai side, you are supposed to get the insurance for malaysia, but if you can find some thai paperwork and give that to the malay police if they stop you and say its your international vehicle insurance, they just tell you to p*** off.

Okay, I wrote an old friend in Hat Yai who does tours across the border, and this is his reply. For me, I'd trust this to be the real truth...

Hey Larry,

Nice to talk to you again, as to the report, the law is:

you need the drivers licence translated into English

or Malay of course and the registration papers as well.

Now: if you have a "natural flavour" - they will not enforce

it all the time - unless you have to buy insurance (I have yearly

insurance that is much cheaper - because I go there more often).

As said before - this enforcement is since the beginning of this

year - and it is likewise on the Thai side - the Malays have to bring

proof that the vehicle they bring - is legally theirs - or they are entitled

to drive it!

And: there's no need for a International Licence - the Thai authorities

can (are able to) translate (accepted in MA and SIN) for I guess 100 -

or 150 baht max - had a friend that had to do - as I still use my Thai Licence

alone. You can get that in the Land Transport Offices.

Again - I can do because I have yearly Insurance and don't have to go to

the Insurance Office, I drive straight through and then no hassle.

If you have no insurance and have to queue up (sorry : LINE UP) at the

Insurance office - then you're in their hands and they will ask what the law

officially wants - - and you have to oblige - because after crossing - you

have to register the Insurance again - and there is where they start the

questions.

The cheapest is to get the insurance direct in Malaysia (if you plan for

several visits) - and then is all settled !

Otherwise you're to bring translation of DL and Car/M'cycle papers.

Sorry Larry, the good old times where you could cross with the

Thai Insurance and Registration - have definitely gone!

Cheers

Edited by Ajarn