Dual Citizen...confused....please Help!

I'm a single Thai national holding Thai and US passport. I have entered Thailand many years ago with my US passport. I continue to get extensions on my Non-Imm O visa every year in my US passport. Would like to stay in Thailand without having to do this and want to be able to travel back and forth between Thailand and US. What can I do? If I leave Thailand with my US passport (not showing the Thai passport) to Hong Kong and return with my Thai passport without a stamp in it. Will I be able to enter Thailand without any problems....? So confused.

Not a problem.

Exit Thailand using the US Passport then use the Thai passport to re-enter Thailand. You may be asked about it but all you have to do is present the US passport to show an exit stamp.

I would think that as a Thai you could solve this w/o leaving the country but I am not sure how. You could ask at immigration I guess!

Leave Thailand on the US passport and re-enter on the Thai passport.

You won't have any problems with the exit stamp, as a Thai citizen immigration has to allow you in the country and they will understand why you changed the passport. If you come in by air they don't need to see an exit stamp anyway.

I did not want to add any comment on the subject, but after few days has past without any other reply, I thought that I may have to say this:

When you post a question and someone answers you, he or she will give you the best of what they know with goodwill, but not necessary, having the same situation or experience; however no one of them also will take the responsibility for your action, whether you have decided to follow their advice or not, simply not only because they do not want to, but also because they cannot to as well.

When you got the second citizenship, you have been informed that you cannot hold two nationalities at the same time; as both US and Thailand prohibited dual citizenship.

I have a dual citizenship and I admit facing some problems with immigration officers of several countries including Singapore, not because I entered with one passport and exit with another, but just because I declared that I have entered the country with a different passport before.

Now knowing that it is unlawful, it does not means that no body else is having it or doing it, I personally know tens of them and some have already did it once or twice, but the question is: if an officer decides to follow the rules strictly or he was in a bad mood at that particular time, what is the damage will be and to what extend?

According to the law you shall at least loose one of the citizenship you are holding. Is that worth it?

The bottom line, it is up to you to decide your next step, but do not depend completely on any forum, in taking your decision, especially when you know exactly what situation you are in.

Just an advice and I always say, I might be wrong too.

Good luck

Bishop :o

According to the law you shall at least loose one of the citizenship you are holding. Is that worth it?

BJ this is wrong.

Here is link that covers this quite well.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Finally-Explain-t228148.html

A US citizen can have dual citizenship.

A Thai can have dual citizenship.

Lots of people are using two passports to travel from the US to Thailand and back again.

Edited by ubonjoe

Which two 'citizenships' are giving you the trouble, BJ? I have both Thai and US passports and have been using them both in conjunction at least once a year for the last decade for US-Thailand/Thailand-US roundtrips.

:o

Well I am sorry, and I have said that I could be wrong, but this was my understanding to the both US and Thailand laws, which I am not really familiar with them.

However as I also said that I had some problems with some other countries, though both countries which I am holding their citizenship not only allow, but also encourage multiple citizenship, maybe that is why I posted my opinion.

Thank you all for the correction

Bishop :o