Where To Rent Those Private Speed Boats?

agvicsa

One of my relations, some stoned English Expat (Roy), long time local resident and resort owner in Phuket tried to explain this to me earlier, confusing me and everyone around, even managing to somehow include the words "Titty-Bar" and "Kapowww!" when asked the below;

Considering the time frame to get the last boat out of Phuket to Phi-Phi from the Airport, where and how would you go about hiring at last minute a private speed boat when stuck at the pier to Phi Phi for that 1 way trip.

I know the cost is pretty above average, but is worth it when grouped with 12 other people in the same predicament.

Suggestions please?

One of my relations, some stoned English Expat (Roy), long time local resident and resort owner in Phuket tried to explain this to me earlier, confusing me and everyone around, even managing to somehow include the words "Titty-Bar" and "Kapowww!" when asked the below;

Considering the time frame to get the last boat out of Phuket to Phi-Phi from the Airport, where and how would you go about hiring at last minute a private speed boat when stuck at the pier to Phi Phi for that 1 way trip.

I know the cost is pretty above average, but is worth it when grouped with 12 other people in the same predicament.

Suggestions please?

A few years ago my sister along with her friends visited Thailand. Against my recommendations they thought they could catch a late afternoon flight to Phuket (from Bangkok) and arrive at ‘a pier’ and catch a ferry across to Phi Phi.

As it was dusk I suggested that we stay overnight in Phuket town and take a ferry the following morning.

They were insistent on arriving on Phi Phi the same day, I relented.

After speaking to our airport van driver we were taken to a travel agent who could arrange speedboats.

We paid 10,000 Baht (between 6 of us) for a one way crossing in the dark. It’s something I won’t do again and I really don’t recommend it. With the benefit hindsight I’d stay overnight than run the risk of running a good holiday.

We hit a log or something similar, the speed boat pilot put on a snorkeling mask and with a diving torch jumped in to examine damage, luckily neither the prop nor the hull were damaged, but the situation was enough to give us a scare. My sister and one of her friends arrived on Koh Phi Phi in tears. I was furious with myself for not insisting on common sense.

It’s my understanding that you can just ask for what you want and if you are prepared to pay then you can get what you want. However from personal experience I really don’t recommend speed boat passage in the dark. Stay over night and travel in day light. At least then if something were to happen you can see.

I'd like to echo the excellent post above.

You can indeed get what you want if you are prepared to pay - and this will include a dangerous night sail if that is what YOU, the customer, wants.

Night sailing in a fast moving speed boat is very dodgy. There are lots of other boats out there with no navigation lights on them which you could easily hit.

The answer to the original question is i guess, get a taxi from the airport to Chalong and just hire a speed boat. They are pretty much lined up in the same way as a motorized taxi. Just walk along the line and get one.

I know Roy. He is a character isnt he!

Rawai beach is where many of the speed boat jockeys hang out. Tho I would agree with the above sentiments on a night crossing.

Phukets boat guys will take you to Phi Phi but the one I knows says they cannot take anyone to Lanta, the different areas like Motocy taxis have turf and they cant go to that turf without risk.