Safeguarding Passport,cash & Safe Deposit Boxes

thaiaan

I will be visiting Thailand soon and should I get a money belt/undershirt waist band

to carry cash,credit cards,etc.Also do I really have to carry my passport around with me and are hotel deposit boxes really secure and where are good places to hide items in hotel rooms?

I will want to open a bank account and get a safe deposit box there when I finally move there and establish a residence.But can I get at least a safe deposit box with just a passport and no legal address?

Ebayers and online sellers please holler.I am an Ebay powerseller who specialized in antiques and jewelry and are shipping costs in Thailand comparable to US Global Priority Mail etc?

Also what does LOS stand for?

1. Hotel Safe deposits boxes are secure- I'd go this route don't carry excessive dosh around.

2. Passport- leave it in the safe deposit box and make a photo copy. (carry this with you)

3. Hide items- forget it wouldnt dare leave anything of value in your room- either carry it with you or leave it in the safe deposit box.

4. Forget about sending through Thai Royal Mail - will get nicked. Send via UPS/FEDEX/DHL or other courier services.

Edited by britmaveric

As a note for British readers... Don't send cash to Thailand with UK royal Mail, even if insured. I did this and paid the insurance, the cash went walkies and the Royal Mail refused to honour the insurance.

The Post Office regulator advised me to take them to court as it would almost certainly go in my favour but I just don't have the time.

UK Royal Mail insurance isn't worth a shit.