The Last Time I Was In Pattaya

dave9988

gave me a terrible impression of the city. sat on the beach and vendors would come by literally every 2 minutes trying to sell me something. they would stand infront of you and just stare at you and then finally leave. i don't know how anyone could stand it. i was there only for 2 days and promised myself never to return. has it changed much since then? are there any walking-vendor free beaches?

No, as far as I know it hasn't changed and as for vendor free beaches you have to go down the coast a way until you reach a deserted stretch then you should be okay (but you need all your own kit, food and drink plus, of course, transport).

It's inevitable, the vendors are trying to make a living so they are attracted to the beaches with crowds of tourists. They are irritating so you either get used to them or pay to go in somewhere like Pattaya Park where they are kept out. From my experience Pattaya is no different from any beach in Thailand in this respect, maybe slightly worse than some but on average same same.

It's a long time ago but I vaguely remember koh Samet being vendor free but can't swear to it and of course that is nowhere near Pattaya. :o

<edit : btw I love Pattaya but wouldn't sit on the beach, Jomtien is ways better but still vendor infested>

Edited by PhilHarries

one thing you ought to take into account,the average thai is poor financially.everyone has to earn a crust and vending on beaches is just one way.if you dont want to buy just say no thank you(mai khrap in thai will get you more respect than no thankyou and they will move on)try some tolerance too.

gave me a terrible impression of the city. sat on the beach and vendors would come by literally every 2 minutes trying to sell me something. they would stand infront of you and just stare at you and then finally leave. i don't know how anyone could stand it. i was there only for 2 days and promised myself never to return. has it changed much since then? are there any walking-vendor free beaches?

What do you care? you have promised yourself never to return! :o

Dave,

I don't think you will find Pattaya beach particularly different to any other'resort' beach in Thailand. If you don't acknowledge the beach sellers they will stand there for a while but all it takes is a smile and a shake of the head and they move on (or a 'no thanks'). One thing that does frustrate me however is that if you do actually buy something from one of them you find that you are surrounded by other sellers very quickly (sometimes selling the same thing you have already bought) however a bit of smiling and head shaking and they soon go away - not enough to get stressed about.

Cheers

Orac

There are worse things in life than beach vendors....and from my experience there aren't many more than years ago.

Bye bye.

We visited Pattaya a few months back and you should try relaxing on the beach with a 3 year old. The vendors targeted the littl/un hoping that she will bug me to buy what they were selling.

The vendors were persistant and really annoying, a smile and "Mai ow krap" was ignored and they would not go away. I was trying to read my book and bored with looking up, smiling and saying "Mai ow Krap", I just kept my eyes down and ignored them. Then they started poking me to get my attention.

Everyone is entitled to earn a living, but they are pests and make it impossible to relax and enjoy yourself.

Maybe it's better now as high season and more customers

Years and years ago, Fred Este, a long-time resident decided enough was enough and had a local screen print shop come up with a t-shirt that said (in Thai) "&lt;deleted&gt; off! If I want to buy something, I will ask!" The vendors complained to the MIB and Fred was 'arrested' until he took the shirt off.

If persistent beach vendors and tailor shop touts are all you have to worry about about in Pattaya life, you must be sitting pretty good IMHO.

Even if you try and sit in one of those "open-air" beer bar areas the vendors are relentless.

I just don't understand how you can possibly relax with someone prodding you every 2

minutes (and that's no exaggeration) they need security staff to keep them away. They're

completely out of control. Just because you're a tourist is not a good reason to harass you.

Pattaya's a sheet hole, take my advice and stay well away :o

Agreed. Best off if everyone were to go somewhere else and turn that place into a sheet hole too ! Please hurry, and don't worry, we won't miss you ! :D

I understand sometimes these beachvendors are a pain in the ass, but this is their income, they make a living out of it, I'll bet if they would lose their job as a beachvendor there would be a lot more bag/necklace-snatchers than we allready have in Pattaya......

Just a reminder : Mea au Khrap = I don't want it, thanks. And if he/she is still standing there don't pay any further attention, they'll get the message.

the Prophet

You mean you went to Pattaya for the beach? hahahahahhahahahahhahaahhaah!

one thing you ought to take into account,the average thai is poor financially.everyone has to earn a crust and vending on beaches is just one way.if you dont want to buy just say no thank you(mai khrap in thai will get you more respect than no thankyou and they will move on)try some tolerance too.

I suspect most people don't come on holiday to court the respect of people who pester them on the beach. Is Thailand a charity now? Certainly behaveing like one!