Kawasaki Er6n

12DrinkMore

Or if you want a sports style bike then the Ninja 250 is good. That's what a few guys on here did first, they got the Ninja 250. then went up to the ER6.

(The Ninja 250 was the first affordable new bigger bike here in Thailand. That's the other reason some of the guys opted for it)

Sarkozy. the Er6 is capable of over 200kmh(71hp). the Ninja about 170+(33hp). the d-tracker 130+(22hp). the Tiger boxer 250 130+(20+hp). Decide what you feel safe with.

As a beginner here in Thailand i would suggest you take it easy and make sure you have some good protective gear eg; Good helmet,gloves,boots/shoes and a decent armoured mesh jacket. Buy it abroad and bring it over to Sunny Thailand, normally much cheaper.

Edited by thaicbr

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many thanks for your answers.

I'm going to follow partially them. First I am going to rent a D-Tracker for a month then switch to an ER-6n if it is possible to order it within a month. The Er-6n isn't that expensive in Thailand, i.e. 4,800 Euro to compare with 6,200 Euro in Europe (without ABS).

As Thaicbr said, I have to be careful at start and well protected. I am in my 50's and not attracted at all by racing on Sukhumvit at night. I still have too kids to raise and a wife not especially in a hurry to be a widow as far as I can judge.

"First I am going to rent a D-Tracker for a month"

Very sensible and doing this with a Ninja saved me wasting 150,000 baht, as I was quite desperate to own the first of the bigger bikes being sold by Kawa. After two weeks it drove me mad, and I was so glad I could simply hand it back. I would say in mitigation that I have previously been used to much bigger bikes, and perhaps expected too much from a 250.

I've ridden the Ninja, D tracker and I have an ER6-N, I would say the D-Tracker is much better as a beginner bike. The Ninja has so little power at lower RPM as to be verging on dangerous IMO. The D-Tracker has much more low down pulling power which is more useful in traffic.

Cheers

uuummmmm that's different to the bike i rode but ok. the Ninja need revving a bit but thats the nature of the beast.

Tony (bigbikebkk) what say you :):D (admittedlly the bike i rode did have an after market pipe)

The little Ninjette 250R is good fun in a sexy package, but yeah- it's a sleeper below 8000 RPM and sucks if you're hauling a passenger. The sweet spot on that bike is from ~9000 RPM up to redline and once you get used to keeping it wound up it's a really fun little bike. On the twisty mountain roads of northern Thailand or tight little tracks like the BRC bigger bikes actually struggle to keep up with the light nimble Ninjette. I know a guy who's clocked some pretty impressive lap times at BIRA on his Ninja 250R. Just my 2 satang after 12,000km on my baby Ninja :D:D:)

1025Ninja250RSm.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

I'm sure that screen serves a purpose but personally i think it looks fugly. So its a toss up with practicality vs. looks...

Its part and parcel of having a naked bike experiencing a bit of wind in yer face!! Those bothered by the wind would be better buying the "f" version as and when it arrives....

I'm sure that screen serves a purpose but personally i think it looks fugly. So its a toss up with practicality vs. looks...

Its part and parcel of having a naked bike experiencing a bit of wind in yer face!! Those bothered by the wind would be better buying the "f" version as and when it arrives....

You're assuming that everyone who bought the "N" and wants a screen would rather be riding a sport bike. I bought the ER6n because the Versys wasn't available, not because the "F" version wasn't. I don't mind riding a faired sportbike, but it's not my first choice. Cheers to you guys that do, it's just not for me, and I wouldn't buy an ER6f just for a fairing.

You are right though Rickster, the screen doesn't look that great. But until Kawasaki offers the Versy's, I'm stuck with it.

NO

2009_er6n_zwart.jpg

NO

Kawasaki_er-6f_2009_02_1024x768.jpg

YES

0_99999VERSBLK.jpg

Edited by HTWoodson

Did anybody get a definitive answer about the practicality/cost of converting an "N" to an "F"?

I was quoted a price of about 30,000 Baht to convert the ER6n to f. As the 'f' still isn't available in Thailand you have to import the parts, silly but true, and swapping the instrument clusters requires some re-wiring so make sure you know what you're doing.

Did anybody get a definitive answer about the practicality/cost of converting an "N" to an "F"?

I was quoted a price of about 30,000 Baht to convert the ER6n to f. As the 'f' still isn't available in Thailand you have to import the parts, silly but true, and swapping the instrument clusters requires some re-wiring so make sure you know what you're doing.

Thanks, once the "F" is available in Thailand I'll revisit that option. It will be probably be cheaper than taking a hit on selling the "N" and buying the "F". Wonder if will cause problems with the "green book". I guess that keeping all the old bits and reattaching them might solve any issues.

Thanks, once the "F" is available in Thailand I'll revisit that option. It will be probably be cheaper than taking a hit on selling the "N" and buying the "F". Wonder if will cause problems with the "green book". I guess that keeping all the old bits and reattaching them might solve any issues.

Ah yes- that's an option. If you don't care for the ABS that will come with the ER6f you could just order the 'f' fairings and instrument cluster and do the conversion yourself. I remain amazed at how cheap the genuine EOM Kawasaki parts are here in Thailand. Did you know that you can order all of the painted parts (8 pieces) for the ER6n for just 2500 Baht?!

I'm guessing that once they are available you'll be able to order the 'f' parts for less than ~10,000 Baht. (Don't forget to budget for a respray since the 'f' will be available in Green and Blue, while the 'n' comes in Black and Orange.)

Happy Trails!

"Yes" what ? :)

That thing looks horrible compared to the ER6-N

Agreed.. The old ER6N was a bit kooky.. But the new one is tidied rght up IMO..

Not shabby looking at all..

different strokes for different folks I guess :D

I've never seen a Versys with a Thai plate, but seems it's quite popular in Singapore and Malaysia and they ride 'em up from time to time.

General feedback I've heard on forums like GT Rider is that it's a bike that does everything well, but nothing great...

I think a Versys would be well suited for the kind of gentle touring Liam likes to do. Just don't expect it to handle like a trail bike when you get off the pavement.

Kawasaki is still building them in Japan so they'll be quite expensive here in Thailand. Other option is to import only the front forks, rear swing arm and other odd bits and convert your ER6n to Versys. Engine and frame are identical.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Shouldnt be a problem with the book. If you change color, just have it inspected and change of color is registered and printed in book (forget which page, but one of the last).

I can't wait any longer!

Anyone know what finance deals are available at Mityon Pattaya???????????

I can put 100k down tomorrow!

Work here, have work permit etc.

Arh!!

Help!

Trying to get the good times to roll!!!!!!!

first class Insurance is 13,000thou so 75,000 + 13,000 as down payment then 6,+++ a month over 2 years.

if you buy outright insurance is 7,250 (but the policy is not as good) well thats what Kawa say any way.

first class Insurance is 13,000thou so 75,000 + 13,000 as down payment then 6,+++ a month over 2 years.

if you buy outright insurance is 7,250 (but the policy is not as good) well thats what Kawa say any way.

Thanks for that.

I guess 6,999 a month?

Thanks for that.

I guess 6,999 a month?

Cheers thaicbr and apetley.

Looks like I will go for it very soon!! :)

Hola!

Back in Europe and thought that I should take on the possibility to buy some cheaper parts to tune up the engine a bit:)

I realized that I could more or less say good bye to the engine warranty if I mix with it, but does anyone know how it is with the insurance?

I have the Falcon/Lockton insurance. Does anyone know if a few more horsepower changes the validity of the insurance?

Cheers

12Gon

Hola!

Back in Europe and thought that I should take on the possibility to buy some cheaper parts to tune up the engine a bit:)

I realized that I could more or less say good bye to the engine warranty if I mix with it, but does anyone know how it is with the insurance?

I have the Falcon/Lockton insurance. Does anyone know if a few more horsepower changes the validity of the insurance?

Cheers

12Gon

More than likely as the insurance companies will jump at any chance to void a policy.

Up to you.

:)

Hola!

I realized that I could more or less say good bye to the engine warranty if I mix with it, I can take that. But does anyone know what will happen with the insurance?

Cheers

12Gon

Up dating the tread a bit as I'm running out of time to buy the stuff & don't want to upgrade the bike if the insurance becomes void.

NormanW thanks for your reply, don't really help me much though...

Does anyone have a more knowledgeable answer?

Thanks in advance!

12Gon

Hola!

I realized that I could more or less say good bye to the engine warranty if I mix with it, I can take that. But does anyone know what will happen with the insurance?

Cheers

12Gon

Up dating the tread a bit as I'm running out of time to buy the stuff & don't want to upgrade the bike if the insurance becomes void.

Thanks in advance!

12Gon

Modding your bike will not void the insurance, but it WILL void your Kawasaki warranty. Who cares- go for it!

Hola!

Cheers

12Gon

Thanks in advance!

12Gon

Modding your bike will not void the insurance, but it WILL void your Kawasaki warranty. Who cares- go for it!

My experince is that LOS insurance only care about cc, number of passangers (more liability for a 7 seat SUV), value of vehicle.

Do you mods and let us know :)

Hola!

Cheers

12Gon

Thanks in advance!

12Gon

Dont agree there.. I mean they may pay through ignorance, but in general modding a bike does technically invalidate the insurance.. HP changes etc etc..

Well......... I picked up my new new 650 today, in the shade of a well known fruit!

What a ride home!! After 3 years stop and starting to Sathorn from Bang kapi in the vigo....... a dream!

Tyres are well and truly scrubbed in and my wife has lost me for a few days whilst I .....investigate ....or "nip out to get milk from the furthest 7/11 possible!

:):D

Need some help though guys....

I'd like a manual in English (sorry if covered already) anyone seen a download....?

And.......My Wife would like to offer a swift kick in the nuts to all who have contributed to this post..... as it cost us 225'000bt :D

Rubber side down brothers and sisters!!