Is It Worth Retiring And Heading To Pattaya Now?

thaibeachlovers

Sitting here in cold boring London, I'm waiting for April/ low season before retiring and heading off for a long stay in my favourite town.

However, is it really as quiet as people are saying, and more importantly, have the hotel prices fallen?

Advice welcomed from people actually in Pattaya now, please.

It is pleasantly quiet for a high season time. The hotels are already fairly cheap in Pattaya compared to Bangkok and Phuket. I'd say its a GREAT time for a visit, assuming you like Pattaya, its still Pattaya.

Perhaps if you are negotiating a long stay somewhere, it is a buyers market, MAYBE you can get a price break, maybe not.

Edited by Jingthing

If you are retiring here ... why worry about hotel prices? But there are many on this board posting from cold old blighty .. you can take comfort in that :o

Erm, I did say retiring and wanting to go for a long stay over there, but I'm not retiring to Thailand. Once no income, budget will be real tight, so need to have low season hotel prices for sure, not maybe.

Anyway, thanks for the answers.

if you don't have much money don't go to pattaya - it's a touristy town and prices are high. Even in bangkok would be cheaper and eventually opportunities for some work, to not get bored.

and I have said on your another thread which you started on this same topic - don't stay in hotels, get yourself an appartment or even a small house

A lot will depend on what you mean by "long stay." Are you talking weeks/months/years?

If you choose to live in Pattaya it could be that you plan to spend most of your time in the tourist playgrounds. That could result in a quick burnout.

My advice: pack a lot of money and bring a spare liver.

A lot will depend on what you mean by "long stay." Are you talking weeks/months/years?

If you choose to live in Pattaya it could be that you plan to spend most of your time in the tourist playgrounds. That could result in a quick burnout.

I've just been made redundant and decided to come and spend 4-6 months in Pattaya starting in a few weeks time - mid / late Jan.

I do plan to enjoy myself with what Pattaya has to offer but I hope that by strictly limiting my alcohol intake (say 3-4 drinks a day) and keeping up the exercise (running and swimming) and bringing loads of books to read on the beach, that I'll avoid the burn-out and liver problems.

Certainly beats spending the first 6 months of a major recession / depression in Blighty.

Simon

I've been here many years. I have a work permit, but I certainly wouldn't even think about retiring unless I had the appropriate visa. The country is no longer cheap and the friendliness has decreased over the years along with the gov't welcome mat.

Thailand is not a nice country to be 'poor' in. It's a lovely place to visit, but living here is a whole different matter.

Sitting here in cold boring London . . . .

What's boring about London?

I hear Australia is so boring, too. Neither country, it seems, has any entertainment, clubs, societies, continuing education, scenery, historical sites, anyone to befriend, sex, or museums and libraries. How unfortunate!

I hear Australia is so boring, too. Neither country, it seems, has any entertainment, clubs, societies, continuing education, scenery, historical sites, anyone to befriend, sex, or museums and libraries. How unfortunate!

Just what Pattaya needs !....." museums and libraries" :o

Depending on how you choose to spend your money. Hotels are not full, the ability to cut a good deal will vary with you and the people you are speaking to in the hotel in question. Many hotels are not seeing the numbers of people 'expected' however some will be pig headed and not offer attractive rates, shop around online with the places you know already and when you get here for places that are new to you. If you are looking at a longer stay, longer than three - six months (one year depending on your visa options) look at condo or house rentals. A house near mine that has been empty since it was built over a year ago has new tenants last week. Although numbers are down, high season prices might still persist in landlords minds - be hard to cut a deal.

If you are worried that it is too quiet for you to enjoy yourself, don't be. Maybe it's too soon for you to get here for Christmas, but flight prices are falling from second week in the New Year. And if 2009 is to be a bad year globally - it will be less bad with a beer and a book in your hands, your toes digging holes in the sand and the sun on your skin.

To paraphrase the tourist authority of another country, "What the Bloodie hill are you waiting for?"

Agree with the comments above - if money's tight stay in a hotel when you first arrive and start looking for a condo/house to rent immediately. You can get a nice studio for around 10-12K per month. Means you can do some cooking at home as well if you so desire. If you go for a long stay option in a hotel or serviced apartment be sure to check what they will charge for electricity. The standard rate from the EA is around 4 Baht per unit - some hotels or serviced apartments can charge as much as 17 per unit. The costs can add up during the hot season if you like using air-con.

Sure is worth making the move if only temporary.

The cost is next to nothing here comparing to where I lived in Hawaii.

After buying land & building a house- I can get by on as little as $300.00 U. S. A little under 10,000 baht for me & my girl. While I don't care to slim down hat low it can be done. No house it will be more. If you eat Thai food instead of the 300 baht farang meals & live on a beer budget (not a caviar & Champagne budget) you can manage quite well. If you into the Go Go scene , the bar fines & upper call shot drinks will eat up funds.

If you live modest(not poor) you should be able to make it up here once your established.

Rent is cheap. We had a house for 7000 baht on the darkside 2 bedroom with a big yard when we rented.

Just do it!

If you have reservations as most of us had before we moved here just keep a set of legs in your homeland if you want to bail. Never burn bridges!

Beardog

I do plan to enjoy myself with what Pattaya has to offer but I hope that by strictly limiting my alcohol intake (say 3-4 drinks a day) and keeping up the exercise (running and swimming) and bringing loads of books to read on the beach, that I'll avoid the burn-out and liver problems.

I'm not a doctor but I have been led to believe that it is far better for your liver if you have a big drink over maybe two days and then no alcohol for a few days. This way it allows your liver to dispel the alcohol in your system and then to dry out, rather than being constantly immersed in alcohol (albeit small amounts) every day.

The trouble with living and drinking in Pattaya is that it takes a lot of discipline to keep your alcohol intake to the barest minimum. You will always meet fresh tourists coming to your watering hole who want to party and expect you to keep up with them. If you live there permanently or semi-permanently you shouldn't try to live like a tourist.

London might have all those things, but it doesn't have many petite 20 year old girls who think that 100+ kg pensioners are sexy.

Edited by OriginalPoster

London might have all those things, but it doesn't have many petite 20 year old girls who think that 100+ kg pensioners are sexy.

They DON'T by any stretch of the imagination believe that such are sexy. Even so, why is that illusion so critically important?

You posted the same question in General Topics.

Are you going to post in the Issaan, Koh Samui etc. forums too? :o

Yes I did post in general topics as well, as, surprisingly, Pattaya is not the only place in Thailand worth staying in!!! However, as the mods have decided that Pattaya is the only place I can post in, if anyone from Phuket ( Patong ), Kho Phangan, Koh Tao or Krabi happens to be reading this, I'd appreciate their input as well.

Thanks.

PS, while I used to hang out in Samui a lot, it's too trashed to consider now, and I don't believe there are any beaches in Issan ( correct me if I'm wrong ).

I'm talking 3 to 4 months. After years of 3 week holidays, 3 months will seem to be Paradise.

I used to stay 3 months at a time way back in the '90s, and when I arrived the time seemed endless, but it still went way too fast.

Unfortunately, thanks to incompetent Gorden, the £ is now worth almost the same ( 45 bht ) as in the '90s, but with prices doubled ( at least ) the money has become much more important.

In general, no replies have indicated a drastic drop in prices of accomodation and "essentials", so it looks as though I'll need to stay here till April, as originally planned.

Thanks to those that gave answers of some value.

I'm talking 3 to 4 months. After years of 3 week holidays, 3 months will seem to be Paradise.

Three weeks is a holiday, three months is an endurance test.

I once tried three months to see if I could find something in Pattaya to keep me occupied every day, other than the bar scene. It was a test to see whether I could eventually live there permanently.

I took with me a pile of English language type books with the view of offering private English lessons to Thai nationals. Not for the money but something to fill in the days.

After one month I was in a rut and doing the same things every day. After two months I missed my lifestyle back in Australia. At two and a half months I changed my ticket and headed home.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pattaya and will always choose it as my favourite holiday destination, but there's no place like home...for me anyway. :D

The exchange rates in LOS are always going to fluctuate between good and bad. If money becomes tight you may need to regularly reassess your living standards. That could mean changing accommodation, eating places and drinking habits. If you are a womanizer you will need very deep pockets.

On the other hand, I have a lot of mates living permanently, and quite happily, in Pattaya. They rent rooms cheaply, (or rent cheap rooms :o ) play golf regularly, take the occasional girlfriend, enjoy a few drinks and are quite content to sit around the pool during the daylight hours.

I guess it's all a matter of trial and error.

3 - 4 drinks a day ..... I'll avoid the burnout and liver problems.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me :o The only time you will have for sitting on the beach is in the evenings as you will be in bed most of the day recovering from the night before. It will be dark so you won't be able to read !! So its back to the bars....and it goes on :D

Don't forget Holiday Insurance.................!!!! High Season is expensive if your'e not careful. But if you've been here before then you'll know somewhere to stop initially.

I have been for 'months' in Pattaya, max 3. I've found good friends and received excellent advice. I met and married my Thai wife. A liking of Thai food and fish is inexpensive, Thai beer likewise........... to keep in touch etc., access to a PC is essential

I wish you well and enjoy your trip, :o

Three weeks is a holiday, three months is an endurance test.

I once tried three months to see if I could find something in Pattaya to keep me occupied every day, other than the bar scene. It was a test to see whether I could eventually live there permanently.

I took with me a pile of English language type books with the view of offering private English lessons to Thai nationals. Not for the money but something to fill in the days.

After one month I was in a rut and doing the same things every day. After two months I missed my lifestyle back in Australia. At two and a half months I changed my ticket and headed home.

Just as well we're all different.

To me, the "rut" is what is so delightful. Getting up whenever, leisurely breakfast and read the paper for an hour or so. Internet in the afternoon, perhaps an ice cream at Swensons. Walk along the beach in the evening and watch the sun go down.

Dinner sometime. Cruise around the bars night time, or sit in Lucky Star on WS and observe the passing throng. If there's a decent movie on, go see it. Usually finish up at Malibu Cabaret Show.

If ever I got bored with that, off to the islands with the TGF, and check out a new beach or three.

I've worked bl*** hard my whole life ( with a 2 year break for travelling, mainly in Thailand ), and now that I've achieved the free bus pass, I intend to stop working and just let life happen, with as little stress as possible. I won't be able to stay indefinitely in Thailand, as my country won't pay the pension there, but I'll stay as long as I possibly can. And when I can no longer afford to stay in Thailand, I'll be doing much the same, but minus the girly bars, WS, Malibu Cabaret, and the beach stays with the TGF. Now that really is going to be boring!