Engaged To The Northeast, Abhisit Pledges Unity

sabaijai

a number of high-security computer hard drives, including servers, were among those items that have disappeared. So far, there have been no public reports on the precise contents of these, or the threat posed to the government and public from their falling into private hands.

They talked on NBT tv channel that the lost of some confidential hardwares of the national level is very dangerous.

The physical damage can be recovered, but no one can estimate what this kind of lost will lead to.

Or over whom it may provide leverage.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I liked is how he answered the question about Democrats and PAD

1. We have same goals - fight injustice

2. We have different objectives, ie. we don't support appointed MPs under new politics proposal

3. We don't approve of their methods, like taking over government house and airports.

Those were the good answers. Some of the other things he said probably won't play too well either in the foreign media or upcountry.

He said that the removal of the previous government had nothing to do with the PAD, it was a court decision. Technically correct - works for lawyers but not convincing for people who are not already Democrats or their supporters.

When asked about the occupation of the govt house and airports he said he "expressed his opposition very clearly". I don't recall reading anything about that. It seems like a statement like that from him would have made the news.

He said there would be "investigations" of the PAD leaders, including the Democrat MP. They would be "held responsible" and could not use "MP immunity". We will see how far that goes.

Having said that, I do hope that he can somehow bring about reconcilliation with his political opponents. It will be an uphill battle and require hard work.

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

a number of high-security computer hard drives, including servers, were among those items that have disappeared. So far, there have been no public reports on the precise contents of these, or the threat posed to the government and public from their falling into private hands.

They talked on NBT tv channel that the lost of some confidential hardwares of the national level is very dangerous.

The physical damage can be recovered, but no one can estimate what this kind of lost will lead to.

Or over whom it may provide leverage.

Ditto.

Confidential to national security, or proving evidence of malfeasence

which CAN be seen as both depending on which side you are on....

Equally logical assumptions

i am staying in Isaan at the moment - the trouble is here where I am they

will not even listen to him on the tv. Theyhate him and when he comes on the tv

they change channels and hiss at him :D

I think he portrays a far more positive image of Thailand than say the TV chef

- but they are not worried about that here in the N East :o

Your comment was definitely not replicated in my village where I live, not come and stay.

The large majority of the people here have never voted for the Democrats even though they also have previously provided the usual incentives.

However, at our village meeting last night it was overwhelmingly obvious that everyone was hoping that the new PM could at least start some sort of reconciliation process and they are prepared to at least give him a chance. There was some doubt that he could achieve the stated aims in his speech but they are prepared to wait and see. Not all in Isaan are completely ignorant as suggested by many others.

I think this is the kind of reaction most ordinary people will have. I think it is what abhisist is aiming at. The clock though is now ticking and he has to start to deliver. People wont expect he can achieve everything but if he tries and pulls off some he will be OK

All the claims of the people from the NE "hating" and "not listening" are certainly not borne out in the Isaan village where I live. Without doubt most do not support the Democrats ---- but 2 days ago there was a large function/lunch held and for a while there was considerable debate between the obvious majority and a few who supported the Democrats.

Not even a suggestion of harsh words .... it was all conducted with good humor ... much laughter and back slapping and jeering. Most seemed to support giving the new government a chance. People remember the Democrats of past without favor. They doubt this time will be different. At least it seems they will be given a chance ... if the reaction around here is representative of Isaan generally.

• 2 weeks later...

OBITUARY

PM said farewell before Grandma Niam died

By Kornchanok Raksaseri Published on January 9, 2009

Grandma Niam Phanmanee from Muang Sam Sip district in Ubon Ratchathani rose to prominence overnight after Abhisit Vejjajiva mentioned her in his speech following the ceremony to receive royal endorsement of his appointment as Thailand's 27th prime minister.

Sadly, just three weeks after she shot to prominence, the 84-year-old has passed away. Grandma Niam died of cancer yesterday morning on her way home from a local hospital.

In his speech, Abhisit said he was reminded about his bond with Isaan people at all times by a gold ring Niam gave him as a memento to "engage" and commit him to the Northeast.

The Democrat leader met her on the campaign trail in the lead-up to the December 23 election. "I can't help mention Grandma Niam. When I was there on an election campaign she gave me this ring and said I was now engaged to northeasterners," Abhisit said, raising the gold ring as he spoke. "I don't know if Grandma Niam is watching. But I'd like to tell her today that the man who received the ring from her will work for her, her relatives, her northeastern people and all her Thai compatriots with fairness, dedication and honesty," he said.

Grandma Niam was watching Abhisit's speech live on TV when he said those words. The former Morlam (Isaan ballad) singer was unavoidably engaged in Thai politics as Abhisit's message was a clear message to rural people, including those in the Northeast where the Democrats have struggled to win votes. On a TV programme the following day, she said to Abhisit: "I am glad you kept the ring I gave you with all my love and sincerity." She believed Abhisit would be a good premier, so she gave him the ring she had worn since she was 18.

Grandma Niam was hospitalised on that day with high blood pressure. Her son said it was because she was excited to learn about Abhisit being premier. She was later diagnosed with cholecystitis, or a stone in her gall bladder. Before going into a coma, she told her children to grind rice to welcome Abhisit, on learning he would visit her.

But when reports about Abhisit's plan to visit her spread, 200 anti-government protesters surrounded the hospital on Wednesday. Abhisit said yesterday he had phoned Grandma Niam when she was on a life support system and being given food through a tube in an intensive care unit. He talked to her through a speaker on the phone, wishing to communicate with her for the last time. "I told Grandma Niam that the ties between her and her family and me will carry on," Abhisit said.

The Nation

But when reports about Abhisit's plan to visit her spread, 200 anti-government protesters surrounded the hospital on Wednesday.

I somehow think it wasn't to pay respects to a dying grandma.

Uncivilised, bad mannered people.

Its like Barack Obama and his Hawaiian Granny who expired.

Grannies are useful political props. Whilst RIP to this old lady, lets not imagine that the original stunt was other than a spinmeister-arranged photo op.

Rubbish.There's no comparison.Barack was devoted to his white grandmother who helped raise him.Most peeople were rather moved by the irony of her passing just before Obama won the presidency.Not a suggestion of grandstanding when he took time off the campaign to visit her on her deathbed.

While not the remotest bit similar all credit to Abhisit for making an effort to reach out to thge NE.Politics is partly about symbolic action anyway.I'm sure Abhisit was moved by the lady's act of kindness.Sure there was a political angle but so what.He's a politician.

^Well thats my point.

With Barack, it was a real Granny.

And people were moved.

So, instead of finding babies to kiss, politicians then tell their spindoctors to find them an ersatz granny at-deaths-door (if they didn't have a real one to hand)

Thats not to say that this lady didn't like Abhisit, she probably did, and her gift was probably sincere. Nevertheless, the shoot was likely choreographed in order to appeal to a demographic cross-section..

The other handy thing about closed-end PR ops like this, which thwart the Press, is that there can't be any follow-up stories a year later if he doesn't succeed, in which the same old person expresses disappointment.

"Sure there was a political angle but so what?" YH.

He's taken the parallel far enough. He doesn't need to turn up at her funeral in tears. He's made his point that he wants to reach out to Isaan.

Edited by Journalist

OBITUARY

Grandma Niam Phanmanee from Muang Sam Sip district in Ubon Ratchathani rose to prominence overnight after Abhisit Vejjajiva mentioned her in his speech following the ceremony to receive royal endorsement of his appointment as Thailand's 27th prime minister.

Sadly, just three weeks after she shot to prominence, the 84-year-old has passed away. Grandma Niam died of cancer yesterday morning on her way home from a local hospital.

In his speech, Abhisit said he was reminded about his bond with Isaan people at all times by a gold ring Niam gave him as a memento to "engage" and commit him to the Northeast.

The Democrat leader met her on the campaign trail in the lead-up to the December 23 election. "I can't help mention Grandma Niam. When I was there on an election campaign she gave me this ring and said I was now engaged to northeasterners," Abhisit said, raising the gold ring as he spoke. "I don't know if Grandma Niam is watching. But I'd like to tell her today that the man who received the ring from her will work for her, her relatives, her northeastern people and all her Thai compatriots with fairness, dedication and honesty," he said.

Grandma Niam was watching Abhisit's speech live on TV when he said those words. The former Morlam (Isaan ballad) singer was unavoidably engaged in Thai politics as Abhisit's message was a clear message to rural people, including those in the Northeast where the Democrats have struggled to win votes. On a TV programme the following day, she said to Abhisit: "I am glad you kept the ring I gave you with all my love and sincerity." She believed Abhisit would be a good premier, so she gave him the ring she had worn since she was 18.

Grandma Niam was hospitalised on that day with high blood pressure. Her son said it was because she was excited to learn about Abhisit being premier. She was later diagnosed with cholecystitis, or a stone in her gall bladder. Before going into a coma, she told her children to grind rice to welcome Abhisit, on learning he would visit her.

But when reports about Abhisit's plan to visit her spread, 200 anti-government protesters surrounded the hospital on Wednesday. Abhisit said yesterday he had phoned Grandma Niam when she was on a life support system and being given food through a tube in an intensive care unit. He talked to her through a speaker on the phone, wishing to communicate with her for the last time. "I told Grandma Niam that the ties between her and her family and me will carry on," Abhisit said.

The Nation

Today's print version of the Post has a front page story on Grandma's death which includes gems such as the red shirts stormed into ICU to abuse her and that they plan to disrupt the funeral if Abhisit tries to attend. Both what happened at teh hospital and may happen at the funeral are totally reprehensible acts and I expect they will be condemned by all including the candidates favored by the red shirts who are running for election in the province on Sunday.

Right now the Reds should rethink their tactics. Right now they appear as a bunch of bully boys. Guess it can only help the government though the more they become this way.

OBITUARY

The Nation

Today's print version of the Post has a front page story on Grandma's death which includes gems such as the red shirts stormed into ICU to abuse her and that they plan to disrupt the funeral if Abhisit tries to attend. Both what happened at teh hospital and may happen at the funeral are totally reprehensible acts and I expect they will be condemned by all including the candidates favored by the red shirts who are running for election in the province on Sunday.

Right now the Reds should rethink their tactics. Right now they appear as a bunch of bully boys. Guess it can only help the government though the more they become this way.

How low can you get? Speechless.

The article Hammered is referring to is here, last two paragraphs.

Let's just see if he has the guts to go up to Issan.

Let's just see if if the RED will throw SHlT at him.

you like shit so much that's why you like reds. red means blood,means agression do you know?

Read means love and prosperity. In Chinese wedding, eveything is red. Have you seen the Chinese stock market? Red mean up (not down).

Have you heard "The East is RED".

The east is red, the sun is rising. China has brought forth a Mao Zedong. He amasses fortune for the people, Hurrah, he is the people's great savior. Chairman Mao loves the people, He is our guide, To build a new China, Hurrah, he leads us forward! The Communist Party is like the sun, Wherever it shines, it is bright. Wherever there is a Communist Party, Hurrah, there the people are liberated!

I wasn't there so I don't know. For all I know they may have stormed in and thrown bags of human excrement at her.

However, this is one scene in a big political game - as always, and the late Granny Niam is part of it, and she isn't around anymore for anyone to ask.

Can I prove that someone threw or didn't throw a bag of excrement at her on her death bed? Nope, but I don't necessarily believe the spinmeister-in-chief too.

The Dems should stop using her to score political brownie points now she's pushing up the daisies.

The family have announced that Abhisit will attend the funeral rights on Sunday. Apparently they have changed the day to try and avoid red shirt disruption. Now the red shirts should announce that they wont interfere with a private funeral. It is up to the family who they want or dont want to attend the right and their wishes should be respected by all.

It would also do the rapidly deteriorating image of the reds some good by announcing such an approach.

^Political theatre.

And that is the reason he should not go. If he's making into political theatre, then it could bite him back.

If he genuinely feels grief, fine, go. (though I doubt he does). If he wants to pay respect to her, go, (though I doubt that an Eton boy feels sincere respect for the proles unless his PR minders tell him to act that way)

The family should tell Abhisit to stay away from this photo-op, lest he is pursued by red shirts knuckle-balling bags of human excrement at him.

And the press will be there, in force, praying they get that money shot.

Funeral attendence has now become a point of analysis in Thailand due to the funeral of the broad who got nailed by the tear gas canister.

Plus. I didn't say he lied. But in a free society, its also not compulsory for me to believe him. If it was a PPP minister, you would have made that same observation in a femto-second.

Edited by Journalist

More here from a non-dem with an appeal for a quiet funeral too. There is of course no reason why the PM shouldnt go. There is of course no reason for demonstrators to do so at a funeral. The huge press coerage the event will likely get is as much caused by the silly tactics of the reds. Why didnt they just allow the government the 4 months PAD allowed Samak? Then they could fairly judge the government and if needed criticise it. Right now they act as purely a bunch of bully boys trying to see how quickly they can outdo the yellows.

I note the government have presented evidence for charges against PAD today. I wonder how the reds will manage to find this wrong as well. Every tactic they use is undermining what they want right now and anyone who thought they had anything to do with democracy must realise by now what they are.

The article is here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=135786

Journalist,

Not many people have guts to lie about dying women crying in their beds because they are verbally abused.

If you think BP made up this story and inserted minister's lies to fit, go ahead. You are the journalist, not me.

Saying that Abhisit doesn't feel anything for her because she was a poor old woman from Isan is also quite incredible.

You and Koo would make a lovely couple with weird claims like that.

^Perhaps I've learned my scepticism about the motives of elected politicians from your good self Plus.

If this statement came from the lips of a PPP or TRT cabinet minister I would be hearing your snarls from here. So please drop all this high handed BS about me impugning the integrity of a cabinet minister.

The BP does not make up any story, because the story is no more than an quote from a Minister making a allegation concerning possible pantomime goings in the hospital room (in which he was presumably present 24/7) of someone who is now dead and can't corroborate it.

It really is no more than sentimental hearsay desgned to appeal to the housewive vote.

(And if its true about some newly politicised old lady weeping because some ranting thug burst in - then thats very rude of him, but i'm sure a lot of these young chicos in yellow and red are pretty foul)

Granny Niam is not a martyr of democracy. So lets not make her funeral that. Put away your hanky, Plus, your mascara's running.

Edited by Journalist

The description of the scene is not attributed to the minister. The minister simply said what he heard, and I don't actually think he was there himself.

I see absolutely no grounds to dismiss his words as a made up lie.

Surely he would milk it for political purposes, but the woman died still believing in Abhisit and being abused for that. That much is clear.

It's the abuse that is unacceptable, not minister's account of it or attempts to paint her as a martyr of democracy.

Just why YOU cling to a weird version of a story in which none of that ever happened is truly beyond me.

Again, it's the abuse of a dying woman that is shocking, not minister's version of it.

The description of the scene is not attributed to the minister. The minister simply said what he heard, and I don't actually think he was there himself.

I see absolutely no grounds to dismiss his words as a made up lie.

Nobosy has said he lied.

He said what he heard. And that just happened to suit his agenda of ill-behaved tearaways.

Its a non-story. But the BP reported what he said properly.

The funeral should be interesting, and if that goes tits up, then that fair game for the Press. (esp. after the funeral of the PAD activist became a catalyst for change)

"Thaksin comes down chimney of dying woman's bedroom. Puts bat up her night-dress"

Does this headline pander to the paranoiac Thaksinophobes?

Because its true Plus, I heard someone say it.

I don't think Granny Niam would give a monkey's about being shouted at by a young prat. If she was compos mentis when she got into this pre mortem pantomime, she was enough of a battleaxe to know there were plenty in her province who abhorred her political grandstanding.

Edited by Journalist