Engaged To The Northeast, Abhisit Pledges Unity

sabaijai

Looks like the army has a little reeducation to do first in order to smooth the path.
Anuphong on the North East

Anupong on the Northeast and Abhisit

Posted by Bangkok Pundit | 12/18/2008 06:00:00 PM

The Bangkok Post:

The army plans to visit red-shirted groups in the Northeast as part of a mission to ease social disunity.

Army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda has ordered military officers to launch the mission to the Isan region, a stronghold of the defunct Thai Rak Thai party founded by Thaksin Shinawatra.

They are going to "visit" the reds to ease social disunity, why did they refuse to "visit" the yellow shirt to ease the disunity....

Absurd... How could you have expected them to visit the yellows. They were the yellows, and in more ways than one! :o

Quite the opposite, by standing up to the now proven to be illegal government, and not blindly following its orders, they have proven themselves, perhaps for the first time ever, not to be "yellow". And MPL, your argument is sounding more and more like the whinge it is, "It's not fair, they didn't do anything to the yellows, why are they picking on the reds?" Stop snivelling and come up with some real arguments for a change.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC News, 24 hours, Page last updated at 17:50 GMT, Thursday, 18 December 2008

Thai PM rules out cabinet deals

By Jonathan Head

BBC News, Bangkok

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on his new government

New Thai leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has told the BBC he will not sell his soul in bargaining over cabinet posts with defectors from the previous government.

Many ministers in the outgoing government are expected to keep their posts, despite strong criticism of their performance.

The new prime minister promised a big package of government spending to help revive the economy.

He also vowed to continue many populist policies of ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

'No deals'

No prime minister in recent Thai history has begun his term of office in less favourable conditions.

The country is still bitterly divided, with supporters of the previous government furious about the pressure from the courts, the military and senior royalist officials that forced it from office. I have made very clear in my talks with all the groups that are joining me why we are putting this coalition together

The economy is reeling under the double impact of global events and local political turmoil.

In an interview with the BBC, Abhisit Vejjajiva insisted that his ascent to power was legitimate.

The previous government had failed the country, he said, and his Democrat Party had the right to form a new coalition.

And he promised the quality of his cabinet would not be compromised by bargaining with coalition partners over ministerial posts.

"I haven't sold my soul. And I have made very clear in my talks with all the groups that are joining me why we are putting this coalition together," he said.

"We just want the country to move on. We want the economy to recover, and we want an end to political conflict. And there are no deals."

He accused the previous administrations - led by allies of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra - of putting Mr Thaksin's interests before those of the country.

But he promised to continue many of the pro-poor policies that made Mr Thaksin so popular in the countryside.

He said he would work immediately to promote reconciliation between Thailand's rival political camps.

Unquote

Perhaps he should at least be given a chance, after all the TRT, PPP, did get theirs and look where it ended up.........

A right mess of selfish, self interests, rewarding of their personal coffers and yet still hoping to <deleted> the country up to try and achieve more unjust crminal advantages at the expense of the majority of it,s citizens.

To access an interview given to the BBC ( 4.48 mins only ??? ) please go to :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7790559.stm

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

i am staying in Isaan at the moment - the trouble is here where I am they

will not even listen to him on the tv. Theyhate him and when he comes on the tv

they change channels and hiss at him :D

I think he portrays a far more positive image of Thailand than say the TV chef

- but they are not worried about that here in the N East :D

How many genuinely poor villages do you know of that have become even a fration richer than the local Moo Ban Puyai and their chosen little groups of beneficiaries ???

From my perpective relating to ours, they are worse off now than before the so called saviour of the poor / less well off came to their alledged rescue.

Now, sadly many no longer own their homes, have lost their land and as a consequence their means to be self sufficient and do not / did not have at this time no chance of ever recovering.

As from the time the newly formed coalition start to address the 7 years of repeated neglect and pillaging that took place, they at least have an opportunity to improve their present circumstances.

To access an interview ( 4.48 mins only ??? ) the PM has just given BBC, please go to.........

Ref url :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7790559.stm

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

PM to visit Thaksin stronghold

New prime minister, Abhisit Vejjajiva, vowed Thursday to visit the poor northeast, a stronghold of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, where he has struggled to win support.

It would be interesting to see if he dares to go to Chiang Mai.

With Newin protection, I think he is going to N.E. to test the water first.

If you read the article, you'll have seen that it wasn't Abhisit's analogy. It was the Bangkok Post's.

That's just semantics Sabai, especially when you are dealing with these hatemongers.

Hatemongers? What justification do you have for that inane comment? Too lazy to read, yes, but where is the hate?

In fact the only hate mongers were the PAD, of whom thankfully we are being spared their constant flow of bile.

Open your eyes GravelRASH The Tackysins reds are passive and peaceful?????

for him it's a PR stant to broadcast on mass media, instead of a political program with reforms and social change. He does realise he is not welcome north of bangkok

You can rest assured this is not a PR stunt and it compliments his stated intentions to be a PM to all Thai and will do so as soon as it is favourable, carry out his intentions and visit.

He has as you problably know already said he intends to keep the populist programmes in force that genuinely benefit the citizens in the North, North East areas, especially the genuine poor who up till now are still as poor as they were when the TRT party bullshit came about, what 7 years ago !!!!!!!!!!

Oh i forgot to take into account the 100 to 500 bribes he enriched them with, every time their vote was required. :o

Give him a chance, he deserves it.

marshbags :D

Well Put! :D

You can rest assured this is not a PR stunt and it compliments his stated intentions to be a PM to all Thai and will do so as soon as it is favourable, carry out his intentions and visit.

He has as you problably know already said he intends to keep the populist programmes in force that genuinely benefit the citizens in the North, North East areas, especially the genuine poor who up till now are still as poor as they were when the TRT party bullshit came about, what 7 years ago !!!!!!!!!!

Oh i forgot to take into account the 100 to 500 bribes he enriched them with, every time their vote was required. :o

Give him a chance, he deserves it.

marshbags :D

If it were not for Thaksin there would be no ' populist ' programmes to maintain. The TRT bullshit, as you put it, marked a departure from the traditional realpolitik in that they actually thought the poor were worth bribing as opposed to the arrogant contemptuous indifference normally shown by the ruling elite which considered the masses to be simply fodder for their wealth generators.

Abhisit is paying lip service garnering as much support as he can without actually offering anything to the poor. His party has no policies which is hardly surprising since it has no manifesto or doctrine upon which they might be based. That is nothing new in Thai politics which is all about managing the tensions that may arise within the ruling elite whilst they carve up and apportion the cake. The lad is simply window dressing for the same old same old and obviously so.

Quite why observers here think he is tantamount to Christ the Redeemer is really surprising and is perhaps more telling of their seeming naivety.

If you were to add the numbers to Tackysins populist programs compared to how much his fortune grew as PM I think you could apply your statement to the TRT, PPP.

PM Abhisit vows to be 'Prime Minister for everybody'

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva pledged yesterday to reach out to people across the country to bridge the social and political divide, saying he was ready to serve all Thais.

After being sworn-in as Thailand's 27th prime minister at a televised ceremony at the Democrat Party's headquarters, Abhisit said he would defend the monarchy as an institution of reverence.

He went on to emphasise national reconciliation as the main thrust of his speech, promising to serve as leader of all Thais, no matter whether they like him or not.

He reached out to the people in the North, in the South and in the Northeast with a reconciliatory tone, promising to bring an end to the politics of division. The rural/urban divide has become politicised in recent years with the Democrats seen as serving Bangkok's elite and the South, while the defunct People Power Party represented the interests of the rural poor in the North and Northeast.

"I would like to correct the failed political system by relying on justice and the rule of law," Abhisit said. "Now our country needs unity."

He showed a ring given by Nian, an elderly Isaan woman from Ubon Ratchathani, who gave it to him during a trip to the Northeast and told him she entrusted it to him as a gift from Isaan people.

Abhisit, the 44-year-old leader of the Democrat Party, won parliamentary support to become prime minister on Monday after key factions of the defunct People Power Party and minor coalition parties switched sides to vote for him. His rise to power amid protests and political crisis represents the end of an era - almost eight years under ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Abhisit pledged to tackle economic problems urgently and to follow up popular projects started by previous administrations such as cheap medical care and village funds. His government would try to create jobs for the urban poor, invest in infrastructure and prop up farm prices hit hard by the economic downturn.

He will seek to lay down the foundation of Thailand's future growth through improvements in education.

He also spoke in English to reach out to international correspondents, investors and tourists.

"I know that for the past two to three years the pictures and the images that you've seen of Thailand have not been positive, but I also know that there are people all over the world who know Thailand better, as friends, as partners, as visitors.

"I am sure they recall Thailand as a land of smiles, land of opportunities, and land of the free.

"I know that many of you are still concerned about the events in the past particularly the closure of the airports. I would like to tell you that the Thai people regret that those incidents had to happen and we will make sure that those are things of the past. They will never happen again.

"In assuming the role of prime minister of Thailand, I also assume the role of chairman of Asean. Let me reassure you that we plan to have Thailand ready to host the Asean summit from late January onwards, so that we can all be confident that Asean can really move forward after the new Asean charter has come into force," Abhisit said at the ceremony.

--AsiaOne

I don't understand that he was sworn in at the Dem's headquarters, why yhis is not happening in the parliament or at the Royal palace. just like to know.

They are going to "visit" the reds to ease social disunity, why did they refuse to "visit" the yellow shirt to ease the disunity...

Because yellows have no beef with reds?

Yellows organised themselves to fight Thaksin, not the people.

The reds, on the hand, publicly declared that they are a movement against yellows.

Abhisit is paying lip service ................................... That is nothing new in Thai politics .......................... The lad is simply window dressing for the same old same old and obviously so.

Quite why observers here think he is tantamount to Christ the Redeemer is really surprising and is perhaps more telling of their seeming naivety.

The same old, same old is infinitely better than instability that we have had to endure for the last 2 years. At least we knew where we stood under the old regime.

Looking at that interview, I am very disappointed. the guy really seems to be 'slithering' through the questions, doesn't sound believable.

Looks 'installed'.

More of the same?

Perhaps he should simply have enquired about the interviewer's sex-life instead ? Or blustered that they have no right to ask him awkward questions ! :D

So the new PM speaks English, interviews well, and claims to want to heal the regional-rifts, work within the law, boost education, help the poor & farmers, and is in favour of motherhood & apple-pie (OK, I made that bit up). :o

Sounds to me like an improvement, on the recent past, if he can deliver any of that. :D

What I liked is how he answered the question about Democrats and PAD

1. We have same goals - fight injustice

2. We have different objectives, ie. we don't support appointed MPs under new politics proposal

3. We don't approve of their methods, like taking over government house and airports.

- but they are not worried about that here in the N East :o

Your comment was definitely not replicated in my village where I live, not come and stay.

The large majority of the people here have never voted for the Democrats even though they also have previously provided the usual incentives.

However, at our village meeting last night it was overwhelmingly obvious that everyone was hoping that the new PM could at least start some sort of reconciliation process and they are prepared to at least give him a chance. There was some doubt that he could achieve the stated aims in his speech but they are prepared to wait and see. Not all in Isaan are completely ignorant as suggested by many others.

Looking at that interview, I am very disappointed. the guy really seems to be 'slithering' through the questions, doesn't sound believable.

Looks 'installed'.

More of the same?

Perhaps he should simply have enquired about the interviewer's sex-life instead ? Or blustered that they have no right to ask him awkward questions ! :D

So the new PM speaks English, interviews well, and claims to want to heal the regional-rifts, work within the law, boost education, help the poor & farmers, and is in favour of motherhood & apple-pie (OK, I made that bit up). :o

Sounds to me like an improvement, on the recent past, if he can deliver any of that. :D

Words come easy. Look a little deeper.

Speaking English has zero to do with anything.

Looks 'installed'.

More of the same?

Words come easy. Look a little deeper.

Speaking English has zero to do with anything.

I would also think right now Abhisit is pretty nervous. A lot is resting on him. If he fails then we could see a reversion to the hard old days of real military rule. I do get the impression that this government is the last chnace for parliament government

- but they are not worried about that here in the N East :o

Your comment was definitely not replicated in my village where I live, not come and stay.

The large majority of the people here have never voted for the Democrats even though they also have previously provided the usual incentives.

However, at our village meeting last night it was overwhelmingly obvious that everyone was hoping that the new PM could at least start some sort of reconciliation process and they are prepared to at least give him a chance. There was some doubt that he could achieve the stated aims in his speech but they are prepared to wait and see. Not all in Isaan are completely ignorant as suggested by many others.

I think this is the kind of reaction most ordinary people will have. I think it is what abhisist is aiming at. The clock though is now ticking and he has to start to deliver. People wont expect he can achieve everything but if he tries and pulls off some he will be OK

Now I'm really interested in watching what people in Isan will do to his car :o if he goes up there. Bags of human sh!t are the least to expect.

They did it a few weeks back.

Excited about the prospect of flying excrement? Isn't there an age limit on this forum, I didn't think children were allowed to post.

No deals on cabinet seats :o

I guess this was before Abhisit found out that the powers that be had installed one of the bosses of CP Group in his cabinet to oversee the country's economy. Nice reward for them financing the PAD.

Now I'm really interested in watching what people in Isan will do to his car :o if he goes up there. Bags of human sh!t are the least to expect.

They did it a few weeks back.

Obviously classy people.

the Nation reported:

that a "PAD leader advised protesters to arm themselves with bags of human excrement and urine to fight off police."

PAD Speaker Auychai Watha ,chairman of a northeastern teachers' group, said:

"Whoever cheated [the country], may their children become whores infected with venereal disease!"

“Cookie”, 11-years-old daughter of the dead hero talks on PAD stage:

MC: In your opinion.. your dad did for the country.. what do you have to say to the police, government?.. to catch whoever did this?… What do you want to say to the prime minister, Somchai Wongsawat?

Cookie: I want to say.. I wish him dead like my dad….

[Applausing]

the famous PAD Voodoo Show according to The Nation:

"Two senators - Karun Sai-ngarm and Pichet Phattanachote lead the protesters to curse Thaksin in response to a superstitious rite they says Thaksin is having a Cambodian witchdoctor perform in Buri Ram. Karun asks the crowd to put Thaksin's photos or name under women's crotch and curse him three times. Karun asks women to stand up for putting Thaksin's name and photos under their legs. Karun and Pichet lead the crowd to curse Thaksin three times. They ask the crowd to curse Thaksin to leave office, ..."

more Voodoo Sorcerer Sondhi wards off evil

"The rituals, which have been conducted in various forms, have usually been held after Mr Sondhi has told demonstrators about black magic performed by his enemies, especially the one he calls the "Khmer wizard", as they attempt to destroy the PAD and strengthen their side. The Khmer wizard is said to be Newin Chidchob, a former Thai Rak Thai executive and one of Thaksin's close aides.

There have also been reports of PAD members placing used sanitary napkins at the statue of King Rama V to counter the black magic of the Khmer wizard, which is supposedly blocking the statue's power backing the PAD."

and take a look what the other classy team had left at the Government House:

p7288033391or2.jpg

p7288033392lx8.jpg

Ouch. You certainly have hammered me with that one.

Here is an excerpt covering some of PAD's recent activities Prosecuting the PAD

"In fact, the number of serious crimes committed under the banner of the group calling itself the People’s Alliance for Democracy is so large that it’s hard to imagine police officers even having time to investigate the melee (Red Shirt) outside Parliament on Monday.

From all accounts, parts of the prime minister’s offices had, over the three months that they were besieged, been completely ransacked. The occupiers stole computers, televisions and personal items of public servants. They raided arsenals and made off with pistols and, possibly, semi-automatic weapons.

They vandalized furniture and the buildings themselves, smashing and ripping chairs and wallpaper. They drove off a number of cars and motorcycles and took religious statues and amulets.

The costs to the government will run into the millions of dollars. To replace the damaged and missing computer equipment alone is expected to be over US$1 million, although bureaucrats could perhaps save some money by repurchasing the stolen items as they appear in secondhand markets around Bangkok during the coming days and weeks.

The damage was not only financial. According to several reports, a number of high-security computer hard drives, including servers, were among those items that have disappeared. So far, there have been no public reports on the precise contents of these, or the threat posed to the government and public from their falling into private hands.

That’s what was taken. Then there’s what was left behind. The list allegedly includes hundreds of homemade explosives of various types, including Molotov cocktails, firecrackers, fertilizer and ping-pong bombs. There were also bottles of acid and large numbers of assorted objects to use as weapons, including golf clubs, iron bars and slingshots with various types of pellets.

Oh, yes, and there was a dead body found at the Don Muang airport, stuffed into a plastic bag out back. According to news reports, the unidentified man had apparently been dead for some days and had been assaulted before he died. He may have been one of the proxy police force that patrolled the perimeters of occupied buildings and who interrogated, detained and assaulted other citizens.

Others left for dead survived. Among them, a 26-year-old man was reported to have been found near the international airport on the night of Dec. 1, stripped naked and shot in the neck. At the time of the report, he had been unable to speak about what had happened.

Although it may take the police some time to sift through the mountains of evidence in order to bring charges against people accused of these offenses, the ringleaders and some of the most visible perpetrators could be legally brought in at any time.

There has been some talk about the possibility of charging them with terrorism, which under the penal code consists of acts of violence causing danger to life or liberty, serious damage to transport and communications, or acts effecting significant economic damage with intent to threaten the government.

By these criteria, the people who took over state premises and killed – or attempted to kill – and illegally detained other citizens have, on the surface of it, committed terrorist acts.

But there are innumerable other sections in the code under which they could be charged.

Why not begin with the usual bundle of offenses that is thrown at protesters? That includes trespass, coercion, upsetting the peace, confinement and damaging public property. Police usually routinely start with these, whether they have any evidence or not.

Then there are all of the other ordinary criminal offenses, including murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, bodily harm, theft, mischief and destroying or stealing official documents or materials, which carries a three-year jail term; or criminal conspiracy, which carries five.

After that, there’s still the chapter of offenses against internal security. These include attempts to change the law or government through violence, raising civil unrest to upset public tranquility or inciting people to violate the law, all of which carry a seven-year sentence. The PAD leadership seems to have met every one of those criteria too.

And there are many other assorted crimes. For instance, by refusing police access to sites where bomb blasts occurred, they seem to have violated section 138, which is obstructing officials from performing their duties. That section has a penalty of two years; if threatening officials with violence at the same time, four years; if doing the same with arms or in a group of three or more, five years. And so it goes on."

The Red Shirts may not be passive and peaceful but they do have quite a bit of catching up to do to even approach the magnitude and scope of PAD crimes.

Ouch. You certainly have hammered me with that one.

Here is an excerpt covering some of PAD's recent activities Prosecuting the PAD

"In fact, the number of serious crimes committed under the banner of the group calling itself the People's Alliance for Democracy is so large that it's hard to imagine police officers even having time to investigate the melee (Red Shirt) outside Parliament on Monday.

From all accounts, parts of the prime minister's offices had, over the three months that they were besieged, been completely ransacked. The occupiers stole computers, televisions and personal items of public servants. They raided arsenals and made off with pistols and, possibly, semi-automatic weapons.

They vandalized furniture and the buildings themselves, smashing and ripping chairs and wallpaper. They drove off a number of cars and motorcycles and took religious statues and amulets.

The costs to the government will run into the millions of dollars. To replace the damaged and missing computer equipment alone is expected to be over US$1 million, although bureaucrats could perhaps save some money by repurchasing the stolen items as they appear in secondhand markets around Bangkok during the coming days and weeks.

The damage was not only financial. According to several reports, a number of high-security computer hard drives, including servers, were among those items that have disappeared. So far, there have been no public reports on the precise contents of these, or the threat posed to the government and public from their falling into private hands.

That's what was taken. Then there's what was left behind. The list allegedly includes hundreds of homemade explosives of various types, including Molotov cocktails, firecrackers, fertilizer and ping-pong bombs. There were also bottles of acid and large numbers of assorted objects to use as weapons, including golf clubs, iron bars and slingshots with various types of pellets.

Oh, yes, and there was a dead body found at the Don Muang airport, stuffed into a plastic bag out back. According to news reports, the unidentified man had apparently been dead for some days and had been assaulted before he died. He may have been one of the proxy police force that patrolled the perimeters of occupied buildings and who interrogated, detained and assaulted other citizens.

Others left for dead survived. Among them, a 26-year-old man was reported to have been found near the international airport on the night of Dec. 1, stripped naked and shot in the neck. At the time of the report, he had been unable to speak about what had happened.

Although it may take the police some time to sift through the mountains of evidence in order to bring charges against people accused of these offenses, the ringleaders and some of the most visible perpetrators could be legally brought in at any time.

There has been some talk about the possibility of charging them with terrorism, which under the penal code consists of acts of violence causing danger to life or liberty, serious damage to transport and communications, or acts effecting significant economic damage with intent to threaten the government.

By these criteria, the people who took over state premises and killed – or attempted to kill – and illegally detained other citizens have, on the surface of it, committed terrorist acts.

But there are innumerable other sections in the code under which they could be charged.

Why not begin with the usual bundle of offenses that is thrown at protesters? That includes trespass, coercion, upsetting the peace, confinement and damaging public property. Police usually routinely start with these, whether they have any evidence or not.

Then there are all of the other ordinary criminal offenses, including murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, bodily harm, theft, mischief and destroying or stealing official documents or materials, which carries a three-year jail term; or criminal conspiracy, which carries five.

After that, there's still the chapter of offenses against internal security. These include attempts to change the law or government through violence, raising civil unrest to upset public tranquility or inciting people to violate the law, all of which carry a seven-year sentence. The PAD leadership seems to have met every one of those criteria too.

And there are many other assorted crimes. For instance, by refusing police access to sites where bomb blasts occurred, they seem to have violated section 138, which is obstructing officials from performing their duties. That section has a penalty of two years; if threatening officials with violence at the same time, four years; if doing the same with arms or in a group of three or more, five years. And so it goes on."

The Red Shirts may not be passive and peaceful but they do have quite a bit of catching up to do to even approach the magnitude and scope of PAD crimes.

Excellent post

Somehow i doubt much of any of this will ever happen as they will be too busy trying to convict Thaksin of tying his shoelaces with his left hand after changing the law to make it an illegal and immoral act.

What I liked is how he answered the question about Democrats and PAD

1. We have same goals - fight injustice

2. We have different objectives, ie. we don't support appointed MPs under new politics proposal

3. We don't approve of their methods, like taking over government house and airports.

He actually said that invading the airport "had to be done". That sounds like approval of their methods to me.

If you read the article, you'll have seen that it wasn't Abhisit's analogy. It was the Bangkok Post's.

That's just semantics Sabai, especially when you are dealing with these hatemongers.

ohhh, yeah. the handsome unifier. fap, fap, fap.

no, that bangkok post piece just another piece of brain wash propaganda. only dumb, braindeads and those in blind love believe that crap.

simplemindedness2. what we now see is a new low in the journalistic quality of Bangkok Post and The Nation.

anyway, here a few photos from that meeting under the tree, Abhisit mentioned.

2971709o130850img5271bj0.jpg2991709o131115img5007ky7.jpg

2951709o130555img5142gw8.jpg2931709o130230img5080tm2.jpg

this on is from Khon Kaen

7752711o003655img0520jk6.jpg7732711o003426avkonkainrq8.jpg

this in Chaiyaphum

2791709o124250chaiyapomgv4.jpg2811709o124531chaiyapomne5.jpg

and here the north, Lamphun

3231709o134627img6466fk0.jpg3231709o134514img6475hn6.jpg

you see he always smile. so he must be good, right?

SCNR, but i have to do the SRJ

UPDATE!

Get-well note cheers up granny Niam

UBON RATCHATHANI : Nothing makes frail grandma Niam as happy as a get-well letter from Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and a photo taken when she gave him a gold ring as a token of fellowship.

3543rb5.jpg

Grandma Niam, 84, receives a get-well letter from Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva handed to her yesterday by Social Development andHumanSecurity Minister Witoon Nambutr at Sappasitprasong hospital in Ubon Ratchathaniprovince. THAWEESAKBUTCHAN

After being treated for a kidney stone, the 84-year-old was delighted when the two special get-well gifts from Mr Abhisit were delivered to her yesterday at Sappasitprasong hospital by Social Development and Human Security Minister Witoon Nambutr.

Grandma Niam leapt to prominence on Dec 17 when, in a televised speech after he was sworn in, Mr Abhisit displayed the gold ring he had received from her during a visit to Ubon Ratchathani on Aug 8 last year.

She told him it was a symbol of fellowship between him and people in all regions of the country.

In the six-line handwritten letter, Mr Abhisit sent her his best wishes for a rapid recovery and good health, and promised to pay her a visit if time permitted.

With a lump in her throat, grandma Niam, in return, wished him longevity and success in government.

Bangkok Post Published: 26/12/2008

a number of high-security computer hard drives, including servers, were among those items that have disappeared. So far, there have been no public reports on the precise contents of these, or the threat posed to the government and public from their falling into private hands.

They talked on NBT tv channel that the lost of some confidential hardwares of the national level is very dangerous.

The physical damage can be recovered, but no one can estimate what this kind of lost will lead to.