Australian Drug Smuggler Arrested At Suvarnabhumi

Jai Dee

I'm going to pay for it: heroin bust man

An Australian man charged with drug smuggling in Thailand says he has made a "big mistake" and is going to "pay for it".

Drug trafficking in Thailand carries the death penalty.

Andrew Hoods, 36, was arrested at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international airport's departure hall on Wednesday afternoon with 3kg of heroin strapped to his body, Thai officials said.

He was charged with drug smuggling after Thai Customs found the drugs concealed in 12 packages.

Thai police said another Australian, believed to be a friend of Hoods, is on the run after managing to escape from the airport.

During a break in questioning at Bangkok drug headquarters, Hoods said he had been caught red handed.

"I was caught with heroin, trying to bring it to Australia," Hoods told the Nine Network today.

"I made a big mistake and I'm going to pay for it man, do you know what I mean, I'm going to pay for it."

The heroin was estimated to have a street value of about 12 million baht ($A494,000), Thai officials said.

But Hoods' thoughts are now focused on his daughter, whose photograph he carries in his wallet.

"I've got her right, I've got my daughter here with me, know what I mean," he said while clutching the photo to his chest.

"And that's all I've got man, that's all I've got."

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) said diplomats had met Hoods.

"Consular staff at the Australian embassy in Bangkok have spoken to the man and are providing him consular assistance," a DFAT spokesman said.

Consular staff were also in contact with the man's family, he said.

Thailand toughened its drug laws in 2002, but remains a transit point for narcotics produced in neighbouring Burma, the world's second largest opium producer and a major methamphetamine hub.

Source: AAP - 19 December 2008

Thanks to Simmo for the link.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a tool, first you don't mess with drugs in thailand.... second if you are going to mess with drugs, you don't cary 3kilios through international airports.... Not only does he have to get through the Thai side, he would have had to get through customs on the other end.... Airports have drug sniffing dogs...

I am sorry but this guy sounds like a jackass, once he is caught he thinks about his daughter, how about being a father first not a herion smugler....

What a tool "do you know what I mean man"

Clown!  Wonder who tipped off the people at the airport as I'm sure it wasn't Somchai acting on his own because the guy looked suspicious.  

I've seen those Australian customs shows and no way this genius would have made it through there either.  Darwin effect is working here, just a bit late.

What a tool, first you don't mess with drugs in thailand.... second if you are going to mess with drugs, you don't cary 3kilios through international airports.... Not only does he have to get through the Thai side, he would have had to get through customs on the other end.... Airports have drug sniffing dogs...

I am sorry but this guy sounds like a jackass, once he is caught he thinks about his daughter, how about being a father first not a herion smugler....

What a tool "do you know what I mean man"

Couldn't agree with you more. As a numbe rof other posters have also said, he probably wouldn't have got past Aussie customs either.

I reckon he's using his daughter to gleen some sympathy, although I very much doubt that he'll get much here. Interesting that his "friend" is on the run after escaping the airport.

Stupid Stupid Stupid, if you know what I mean man

Fisrt Thailand has some really tough drug laws, second, the monkey house aint really the Hilton, third Aus customs are some of the toughest in the world, 4th; smuggling it on his body???

Although...I guess the tip off has shown that 'security' is nice and tight in the hastily re-opened swamp...

Nice to see compassion alive and well here. Yeah....you are right....the guy was/is dumb. This is a sad story.

What compassion was he showing to people wanting to get off drugs, and people whose houses would be burgled to pay for the drugs?

Nice to see compassion alive and well here. Yeah....you are right....the guy was/is dumb. This is a sad story.

No compassion at all for this scumbag. If he had got through with the drugs how many lives would he have ruined? At least now it's only his life that is ruined. Rot in hel_l.

As an Australian, who has had a close relative die of an overdose , I am very pis..ed off at fellow country men trying to do something they know is illegal and then try to garner sympathy , as I have said before they are oxygen thieves, just execute them. :o

No compassion at all for this scumbag. If he had got through with the drugs how many lives would he have ruined? At least now it's only his life that is ruined. Rot in hel_l.

Why didnt he just post the 3kg to HIMSELF in Oz, hahahaha

Canada, I agree with your comment, I was thinking how scared this guy must be right now. But at the end of the day, he is a drug dealer, he wanted easy money and must be well aware of what heroin does to people. I think he should be made an example of in the hope it will stop others in the future.

Hang him on public T.V, thats what the chinese used to do, seems to working.

He doesn't deserve to be a father when you think about it, I have friends that have been trying to have a baby for years and some muppet like this gets to be a father and only thinks about his most precious AFTER he is busted!

After the hanging, the sentenced loses consciousness almost immediatelly; the death occurs by asphyxiation, because of a slipknot put around the neck and fixed to a support by the other end. The weight of the body, hanging in mid-air or inclined forward, rests on the slipknot, determines its closing and the compressing action on respiratory tract.

The hanging leaves different signs, both inside and outside the body: the sentenced becomes cyanotic, the tongue hangs out, the eyes pop out of his head, there is a groove on the neck; there are also vertebral lesions and internal fractures.

Medical consequences of chronic heroin abuse include scarred and/or collapsed veins, bacterial infections of the blood vessels and heart valves, abscesses (boils) and other soft-tissue infections, and liver or kidney disease. Lung complications (including various types of pneumonia and tuberculosis) may result from the poor health condition of the abuser as well as from heroin's depressing effects on respiration. Many of the additives in street heroin may include substances that do not readily dissolve and result in clogging the blood vessels that lead to the lungs, liver, kidneys, or brain. This can cause infection or even death of small patches of cells in vital organs. Immune reactions to these or other contaminants can cause arthritis or other rheumatologic problems.

Of course, sharing of injection equipment or fluids can lead to some of the most severe consequences of heroin abuse-infections with hepatitis B and C, HIV, and a host of other blood-borne viruses, which drug abusers can then pass on to their sexual partners and children.

HIV/AIDS - due to sharing of needles

Poisoning - from the addition of toxin to the drug

Hepatitis - liver damage

Skin infections - from repeated intravenous injections

Other bacterial and viral infections

Increase risk of stroke

Collapsed veins

Lung infections

3 kilos of that will do a lot of damage to a lot of people.

Best hang him me thinks

post-73148-1229659942_thumb.jpg

post-73148-1229660184_thumb.png

As an Aussie, I can only say - what a <deleted> and so pleased he was busted in Thailand and not Aust. - gaol in Aust is like the Hilton compared to Thailand gaols and he sure doesn't deserve an easy stretch.

think first, if he got trough he would do it again, this people never change, som na na

I'm going to pay for it: heroin bust man

An Australian man charged with drug smuggling in Thailand says he has made a "big mistake" and is going to "pay for it".

Drug trafficking in Thailand carries the death penalty.

Andrew Hoods, 36, was arrested at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international airport's departure hall on Wednesday afternoon with 3kg of heroin strapped to his body, Thai officials said.

He was charged with drug smuggling after Thai Customs found the drugs concealed in 12 packages.

Thai police said another Australian, believed to be a friend of Hoods, is on the run after managing to escape from the airport.

During a break in questioning at Bangkok drug headquarters, Hoods said he had been caught red handed.

"I was caught with heroin, trying to bring it to Australia," Hoods told the Nine Network today.

"I made a big mistake and I'm going to pay for it man, do you know what I mean, I'm going to pay for it."

The heroin was estimated to have a street value of about 12 million baht ($A494,000), Thai officials said.

But Hoods' thoughts are now focused on his daughter, whose photograph he carries in his wallet.

"I've got her right, I've got my daughter here with me, know what I mean," he said while clutching the photo to his chest.

"And that's all I've got man, that's all I've got."

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) said diplomats had met Hoods.

"Consular staff at the Australian embassy in Bangkok have spoken to the man and are providing him consular assistance," a DFAT spokesman said.

Consular staff were also in contact with the man's family, he said.

Thailand toughened its drug laws in 2002, but remains a transit point for narcotics produced in neighbouring Burma, the world's second largest opium producer and a major methamphetamine hub.

Source: AAP - 19 December 2008

Thanks to Simmo for the link.

For as much as this idiot deserves what he gets i cant help thinking that the thai's will claim this as a morale victory when all said and done his mate stuck him in , and was let away by police , he is on drug dealer but on more than a mule for some asshol_e , but i would like to see him executed , giving the the thai message rather than the thai threat , how many people every day carry drugs from thailand , i for one would feel at more threat in glasgow than in thailand saying that anybody thinking about australia that might be stupid enough watch border security

Maybe he thought the airport was still closed.......

Maddog said:

i for one would feel at more threat in glasgow than in thailand saying that anybody thinking about australia that might be stupid enough watch border security

Glasgow might be tough, but I think I'd feel more threatened in any Asia country where its more of a zero tolerance policy - ie. get caught and you are toast

I'm not gonna judge the guy, but he must know that if you try to do something like that and fail, then you pay the price...i guess its best left to the organised government smugglers of Burma, etc..

good to see no 'bleeding heart do gooder civil liberty" types in here saying how asia is too tough on crime....dear me what a fool!!Australia would do well to get tough in real terms on drug dealers instad of just talking tough. he should pay the price like the Vietnamese Aussie did in Singapore some time back.

Stupid Stupid Stupid, if you know what I mean man

Fisrt Thailand has some really tough drug laws, second, the monkey house aint really the Hilton, third Aus customs are some of the toughest in the world, 4th; smuggling it on his body???

Although...I guess the tip off has shown that 'security' is nice and tight in the hastily re-opened swamp...

Not really if his friend was able to run away...

The best way is giving him an overdose of his own heroine.

I can't believe I agree with you....

They should change the drug laws, if you get caught you have to consume 100% of what you are caught with, if you live lucky you you live another day, if not well to bad.

That would save a ton of money on the jails, or if executed it would save on the electric fee.

Edited by MyphuketLife