Best Value For Your Money Sports Car?

dave9988

so what is the best price vs product option for a sports car in thailand something slick and fast etc

You didn't mention a budget.

Sports cars can be quite expensive as cars are taxed on engine displacement. On the lower end of the scale (say 1m or below) you're looking at 10yrs or older cars. Used MR2s, 300ZXs, 3000GTs, RX7s. Most have been modified and otherwise abused so it'll take a lot of shopping around. Mid-tier (3m or below) you're into used NSXs, RX8s, Supras, SLKs, etc. 4-6m is a sweet spot as you're into new 350ZXs, SLKs, Z4s, Lotus and into older Boxsters. It takes 10-20m+ baht to get into new and used Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos.

My fav picks for Thailand are RX8s as you get a lot for the money and SLKs as they're always in high demand and hold value relatively well.

Mazda Miata, or whatever it's called now (mx5?) used to be just over two mil, less than entry level bimmer.

Nissan Fairlady cost about double Mazda but still less than any real sport brand. Mazda RX8 is also in Fairlady price range.

Next step on the price ladder would be BMW Z4, I think.

On the other hand you can have a lot of fun with something like diesel Focus or Vios Turbo - they are not sport cars but should be pretty fast by standards of Thai traffic.

Or buy second hand Hyundai Tiburon and add turbos and shit to make it go fast, it looks sleek already.

I pulled up next to a guy in a Mazda MX-5 outside Seacon a few weeks back - I think I literally turned green with envy. It was evening, he had shades on, the roof down and some techy mobile on the go. I felt at the time that I'd rather have the safety, privacy, clean air and air-conditioning that my Wish affords me, but I bet the Mazdas are so much fun to drive. It would have to top my (imaginary) list of value-for money sports cars, all prattle without practise mind you! I can only dream of having a spare 2.5 mil to spend on a tiny, vunerable car with two seats, but I just imagine that Mx5s would strike a balance between fun and maintanence costs.

• 4 months later...