Downsides Of Getting An Iphone

livinthailandos

I never had an Iphone but my Nokia has a much stronger signal than my friend's Iphone. Both using AIS and standing in the same spot.

I would NEVER buy something that needed hacked before I could use it.

Gary,

May I respectfully disrespect your argument as you had no reason to buy a GPS until you did so :o

Cheers

and by the way MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

and yes I was shouting!

That is VERY true. :D If Apple ever releases a Thai model I may have a look.

I never had an Iphone but my Nokia has a much stronger signal than my friend's Iphone. Both using AIS and standing in the same spot.

actually a stock iphone is pretty boring but Jailbreak makes the iphone really interesting

Was actually looking at the new BB Storm but the reviews on it is really really bad

If u are a techie like me and like to customize, tweak, and run lots of applications on your phone then you probably won't like the Iphone.

You don't know what you are talking about, I am afraid. If you are a modder and tweaker, the iPhone offers endless possibilities once jailbroken. There are apps out there that do all sorts of insane hacks.

I just recently downloaded iBlacklist (free of course). It can turn off the "call forwarding" notification, which is my only gripe about the stock iPhone user interface. No more call forwarding pop-up! (it's the pop up that appears when you make a call, happens on Nokia too BTW, except there you can't turn it off).

It also allows to selectively block SMS and calls from people and organizations. Get a marketing call? No problem, add the number to the blocks, set it to ignore, and done. Same for marketing SMS - never see them again, they get deleted as soon as they arrive, no notification no sound. There are also settings for "privacy" in case you don't want anyone to know you got an SMS from somebody (hmm... what could that be useful for? can't think of anything :o:D ).

It's just one example, but there are a plethora of tools out there that expose basically the entire functionality and unix underpinnings of the iPhone. If you are more ambitious you can get the unofficial development toolchain and program the thing yourself. If you want to join the official developers, there are the official tools and frameworks which are better than for any other device - though the official tools don't allow you to do crazy stuff like hack into the phone application :D

This device is a hacker's wet dream.

Neverdie,

Sorry , no offence intended, its just a reaction to the naysayers who have no reason to dislike the iPhone except that its popular.

Tall poppy syndrome.

The working flawlessly quote is from one of those naysayers :o

Cheers

No worries bloke, I'm not trying to shoot it down, just trying to figure it out. My phone has everything I need, mp3, camera, memory card with 512mb...could make bigger, is small which I always found a plus, ohh and it rings when someone calls, its an alarm clock, all of that stuff. The phone company in Australia use to call me every year and try and get me to sign up for a new one, I couldnt work out why....i use to tell them to bugger off and they would always have a laugh saying my phone was old tech. I must admit one with a gps in it for viewing maps on the go would be good......I duno im obviously missing something.....I can still remember how good my first phone was>>>i will buy a new phone when this one dies & its about 6 years old now (i think).

No worries bloke,

Are you a Sheila?

It seems that "No Worries Mate" is a male Ozzy Term and "No worries Bloke" is an Ozzy female response to a male they find attractive :o

Cheers

No bloke, I'm not a sheila and you would be right about the term 'mate' being Australian. I can tell you that I am a real Australian and that you wouldnt have to travel to far in the outback to hear blokes, refering to blokes as 'bloke'. Of course if you frequent Aboriginal missions you will hear the term used as well but its got a different sound to it....its like 'eeehhhh blooowke'

I'm not sure where ur getting ur Aussie lessons from but I can tell you that Im not finding another bloke attractive, Im not a shirt lifter, alright?

A friend of ours bought one, she has had no end of trouble with it......not having thai menu hasnt helped her.

I had never seen one, but have spent hours playing with it now & think its aweful....but obviously the masses don't think so, but I just cant figure what the attraction to them is? Is it seen as a status symbol?? :o

not in reference to your friend, but it brought up the thought that I have found that non "educated" thais dont get the iPhone.

you can by these girls a Nokia N-Whatever spend 30k baht on it and they will be right at home. get them an iphone and they will scroll through the picture and complain about putting music and ringtones/video and go right back to their nokias.

it is much too complicated for a thai public school education.

No bloke, I'm not a sheila and you would be right about the term 'mate' being Australian. I can tell you that I am a real Australian and that you wouldnt have to travel to far in the outback to hear blokes, refering to blokes as 'bloke'. Of course if you frequent Aboriginal missions you will hear the term used as well but its got a different sound to it....its like 'eeehhhh blooowke'

I'm not sure where ur getting ur Aussie lessons from but I can tell you that Im not finding another bloke attractive, Im not a shirt lifter, alright?

No worries mate :o

Cheers

Edit: Fingers too big for the key board!

Edited by percy2

actually a stock iphone is pretty boring but Jailbreak makes the iphone really interesting

Was actually looking at the new BB Storm but the reviews on it is really really bad

I agree that used to be the case, but now there is the Applications Store and there are thousands (literally) of interesting and useful applications which you can download. My iphone is jailbroken, but the only non-standard application I use is Winterboard. Of course, if you are into hacking then there is much fun to be have with a jailbroken phone, but for the average user, like people who reasonably remark "I would NEVER buy something that needed hacked before I could use it", then you can personalise and add functionality to your iphone whithout having to hack it.

I agree that used to be the case, but now there is the Applications Store and there are thousands (literally) of interesting and useful applications which you can download. My iphone is jailbroken, but the only non-standard application I use is Winterboard. Of course, if you are into hacking then there is much fun to be have with a jailbroken phone, but for the average user, like people who reasonably remark "I would NEVER buy something that needed hacked before I could use it", then you can personalise and add functionality to your iphone whithout having to hack it.

Yeah exactly hacking is the best part of the iphones

Working flawlessly, I'm not sure about that, I somehow recall a bit of a stink up about them doing something they wernt suppose to OR was it not doing something that were suppose to???

Sorry, I assumed they were flawless on a par with the smugness with some of their owners :o

I will come clean and admit I have never even picked up an i-Phone or anything made by Apple. I just don't have the time to spare on such things. With years of IBM compatible/Microsoft PC's and Pocket PC's of data with me and thats all I need. So the DOWNSIDE of getting an i-Phone for me, flawless or not, hackable or not would be the learning curve of buying something with an Apple logo on it and wondering if all my current programs would run on it?

Working flawlessly, I'm not sure about that, I somehow recall a bit of a stink up about them doing something they wernt suppose to OR was it not doing something that were suppose to???

Sorry, I assumed they were flawless on a par with the smugness with some of their owners :o

I will come clean and admit I have never even picked up an i-Phone or anything made by Apple. I just don't have the time to spare on such things. With years of IBM compatible/Microsoft PC's and Pocket PC's of data with me and thats all I need. So the DOWNSIDE of getting an i-Phone for me, flawless or not, hackable or not would be the learning curve of buying something with an Apple logo on it and wondering if all my current programs would run on it?

No your current programs won't run on it.

The learning curve is pretty small, unless you have a lot of un-learning to do from Win Mobile, things are simple.

It's not a disadvantage if you replace your old crappy WinMobile apps with new, good iPhone apps. Depends on what you want to do, but the App store is expanding daily and the platforms simply do not compare so you will see extremely rapid continuing application growth in the iPhone and a lot of WinMo developers switching over.

I have only played a little bit with WinMo with a friends's phone. He swears by it, always had one of those big clunky win mobile devices. I have never seen him use it for anything except exchange integration (e.g. the calendar) and iPhone can do that too. But anyway, playing with it for a minute confirmed all my worst expectations and more. I can't believe how bad this is. I do understand why all the major manufacturers develop their own sugar-coated version of the interface though, it's the only way to compete with the iPhone on that platform (touchwhiz, TouchFlow, the Sony one, etc).

gzimodo is now not even comparing WinMobile phones to phones running other OSs ... see latter half of the following: http://gizmodo.com/5106121/windows-mobile-...-real-internet:

If you haven't noticed in our reviews of Windows Mobile phones, we've basically ceased comparing to them anything but other WM phones, in a wishful attempt at dulling our totally appropriate disdain for the OS, lest the review essentially turn into one giant bitchfest. They're clearly off in their own world of performance and function.

BTW: The real downside of having an iPhone is that you have to hack it to completely unlock all functionality. Otherwise you have to use the Apple-approved applications, and the Apple-approved way of getting apps onto your phone. They are not bad, but... we value our freedom. It's a bit like a Nintendo, or an Xbox. Unlock it, or give up your freedom to tinker to your heart's content. It's annoying behavior from the benevolent dictator, and I don't see any consumer benefit in it. IMO it's pure control freakery, nothing else.

Edited by nikster

cgbartz uttered ->Yeah exactly hacking is the best part of the iphones

Too true, as a phone it works well, install the BSD subsystem and it's anything you want it to be.

My little 8GB hosts my website, has a voip server (up until 1.1.4), runs several proxy servers & dynamic dns clients. I see it as a pc underneath the hood, and feels like one when logged in over a terminal.

With the advent of a bootable Linux kernel now, Android should be just around the corner - hopefully a quick port of "cupcake"

Can't wait.

A friend of ours bought one, she has had no end of trouble with it......not having thai menu hasnt helped her.

I had never seen one, but have spent hours playing with it now & think its aweful....but obviously the masses don't think so, but I just cant figure what the attraction to them is? Is it seen as a status symbol?? :D

not in reference to your friend, but it brought up the thought that I have found that non "educated" thais dont get the iPhone.

you can by these girls a Nokia N-Whatever spend 30k baht on it and they will be right at home. get them an iphone and they will scroll through the picture and complain about putting music and ringtones/video and go right back to their nokias.

it is much too complicated for a thai public school education.

SJ, You may have a very valid point there :D . But I think a few others have points about the iphone too and I was surprised to read about some of those points. I guess just after all the hype I had heard over the years, I got one in my hand and was expecting fireworks....after putting it thru its paces (so to speak), I was left wondering what all the hype was really about. I think it looks great, its a heavy sucker, the touch screen works well...the camera is substandard considering what others are offering these days.....the ipod part of it was errr like an ipod....the memory cant be extended, although 8 & 16 gig is loads in my opinion. Having said all of that, I like technology but I certainly wouldnt amputate an arm to get one, nor would I line up for hours & days on end (like some did). I think it would make a great weapon if you chucked it at a would be attacker. :o As for running programs on it, I have never owned any apple gear before, so that would definately be a major consideration. Maybe I am just being narrow minded...again :D

Edited by neverdie

seen many references for hacking this phone, has anyone successfully hacked the 3G iphone. For this article I was trying to mere point of fact out, Iphone does not have any flash support and if you understand why youtube works with the iphone you would understand most videos on youtube may be H264 coding not flash, trying using the iphone on anything other that youtube to watch videos.

Hacking goes, yes it fun you get lots of applications, but does this apply to the average person who doesn't necessarily need hacking for a phone I wouldn't think so. I"ll admit the phone is one of the best for touch screens, but we all have choices, I choose not getting the iphone

1. Its overhyped

2. Id rather be able to replace the battery by myself then running to a shop or apple to do it for me

3. I don't like being a groupie, rather an individual

4. Turns out on the iphone unless you have Boss Preferences installed, you need to actually disable edge or your getting charged for wireless data being sent over edge

5. I'm waiting for the day there's a fully functional linux touch phone where I can just go to synaptics package manager and download all the free app's I want without having to hack a phone

6. On a security issue how do you know all those applications are secure do you have anyway of doing a MD5 checksum, for all you know your running unsecure applications ( I know this applies to windows to )

to be fair though I will give the iphone some credit

1. its built by apple & you know when apple builds something its less likely to crash

2. Since apple overlooked everything on this phone you know its got quality built in

3. If apple makes this phone available without contracts and for a good price I believe it would sold out almost all the time ( just my opinion on this though ) $200 or less dollars

• 3 weeks later...
Is the Samsung OMNI a genuine Alternative, here in T. ?

The Omnia is an unresponsive windows phone. Looks much better than it works.

Just buy an unlocked phone from Switzerland or any any European country for around 350 euro. you would be mad to pay up to 2000 baht a month for 3 years plus 10,000 or something like 16,000 baht initially. A phone is worthless after a years use.

Quite frankly, I don't understand why people would pay big money for a phone that supposedly can do everything. My laptop computer is better than any phone. My desktop computer is MUCH better than any phone. My dedicated GPS also beats any phone. A phone that does calls and can check email is as much as I need or want. No way am I going to sit and surf the Internet with a tiny screen or answer email with the tiny keyboard. Since I no longer need my phone for an Internet modem, my Nokia E51 is overkill. Battery life normally leaves a lot to be desired with these high tech miracle do everything phones.

I agree. Nothing beats a normal keyboard and a couple of 20 inches monitors.

I just bought the Iphone 3G (was actually planning to buy a BB or HTC) and I am quite happy. I am not a MAC-person, but I like the user-friendliness of the e-mails, the SMS functions etc. The screen is nice. I get a lot of PDF files - and if out on the road, it gives me "peace of mind" to be able to quicly download an e-mail - study a PDF document, and write 10 words in reply.

3. Don't bother watching any online internet videos because apple does NOT support flash. ( NOTE i am unaware if someone has fixed this issue or not on the old iphones

Cydia now has a program called iMobileCinema which allows you to play Flash videos.

I was about to get a new smart phone / iphone whatever a few months ago and I didn't. Why?

The iphone still feels like a brick in my pocket and using it is slower than using a laptop. So I bought the eee 901 and the smallest, lightest, cheapest Nokia with bluetooth and gprs I could find.

This works absolutely great for me. I have a nice bag for the eee so taking it with me is no problem and doesn't bother me and I can really work on it if I want, run all the software I'm used to and if it's obvious that I won't need it I just take my small Nokia.

I know that the iPhone is just like Firefox so superior because of the apps and or in Firefox's case extensions. I can't wait to get a new mobile phone but will wait for a slimmer iPhone or other phone if there is any worthy competitiors.

I believe Nokia will bring some decent competiton to the market, they have to somehow... Apple does great stuff but I feel not right having just the choice of buying one phone from one manufacturer.

I know it's kind of big, bulky and heavy, but what do you guys think of the Nokia E90; it seems to be able to do everything? I saw yesterday that Nokia is coming out with the N97 with full QWERTY keyboard similar to the E90 in the first half of this year. It appears to be slightly smaller and slimmer and most likely weighs less.

If u are a techie like me and like to customize, tweak, and run lots of applications on your phone then you probably won't like the Iphone.

You don't know what you are talking about, I am afraid. If you are a modder and tweaker, the iPhone offers endless possibilities once jailbroken. There are apps out there that do all sorts of insane hacks.

I just recently downloaded iBlacklist (free of course). It can turn off the "call forwarding" notification, which is my only gripe about the stock iPhone user interface. No more call forwarding pop-up! (it's the pop up that appears when you make a call, happens on Nokia too BTW, except there you can't turn it off).

It also allows to selectively block SMS and calls from people and organizations. Get a marketing call? No problem, add the number to the blocks, set it to ignore, and done. Same for marketing SMS - never see them again, they get deleted as soon as they arrive, no notification no sound. There are also settings for "privacy" in case you don't want anyone to know you got an SMS from somebody (hmm... what could that be useful for? can't think of anything :o:D ).

It's just one example, but there are a plethora of tools out there that expose basically the entire functionality and unix underpinnings of the iPhone. If you are more ambitious you can get the unofficial development toolchain and program the thing yourself. If you want to join the official developers, there are the official tools and frameworks which are better than for any other device - though the official tools don't allow you to do crazy stuff like hack into the phone application :D

This device is a hacker's wet dream.

Several posters here have mentioned that one the greatest interests in the iPhone is its ability to be customized.

Could those experienced iPhone users indicate some Internet links to where to find some basic or useful "must have" add-on applications to install on the Iphone? I think that would be useful for all iPhone beginners or iPhone "users-to-be". Sure, searching the Internet is the way to find this, but it would be nice to have some pointers to where to start.