String Tying Ceremony

bina

the thai workers had a big birthday party for me and we did the string tying ceremony; then two days later someone left to go home to thailand and they also did the string tying ceremony (with money included):

what are the different strings? one i got was from thailand (the coloured braclet type blessed by a monk); the others were all white string with one knot in it; or one partiallly braided; and one person gave me three strings together....

also, how many sticks of incense (they tried to explain but couldnt catch it); as opposed to at a 'party' before the funeral (used two? with a dead person) ?

and last and probably most difficult to answer -- at my party they chanted something long and then lit candles and incense over a plate of flowers , but not all the guys knew it... what was it (anyone have the words in thai and in transliteration?)?

maybe this belongs in the budhism forum?

bina

I have been to one too. This is not a Buddhism culture throughout the world as this is not done in China, Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia.

This is practiced mostly in Thailand......the Thai Buddhism culture is a little different from the rest of the world, even their temples are different.