Compulsory Car Insurance...

scratt

Hi guys...

I foolishly thought that my 22,000 Baht insurance policy with Syn Mun Kong Insurance would provide me with some English speaking help and assitance with getting my Government Insurance via post (as told by the salesman)... Oh silly me!!

My fault as I don't speak enough Thai yet but the best I could get out of them was "Yes if my Compulsory has run out then Yes I need a new one! Would I like to report an accident?"

This went on for a while... So I thanked them politely, repeated for the record that I had not had an accident and we parted friends.

Quite funny really!

So... My question is where do I go to get my Government Insurance.

We live in Nonthaburi! My truck is parked in our condo but the insurance ran out on the 20th so I CANT GO DO ANY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING IN IT!! :o

Help!! Where do I go?

What do I need to take with me?

Thanks....

Any used car tent should have a few Government insurance stickers, ask for a "Por ror bor"

Thanks. That's great.

I think I'll pop back to the guy I bought it from. (Didn't realise it was so easy.)

They organised the finance for me so I only have a copy of the book and a finance agreement... But he was very helpful and did me a cool deal so I am sure he will have one

• 3 years later...

Hiya,

I need to get my por ror bor (compulsory car insurance) today. I understand from the above posts that I can get it from a bank, but what will I need to bring with me and how much is it nowadays? (this is a very old thread!)

Cheers!

Edited by ashacat

You will need your registration book and, if the vehicle is over 7 years old, a "roadworthyness" certificate. Road tax will not be issued without CTPL (compulsory Government insurance) and the certificate if over 7 years old (5 years for motorcycles).

See here for more info:

Driving in Rural Thailand

I renewed mine last week. CTPL was Bht 900.00 and the test was around Bht 250.00 (plus V.A.T.).

Edited by jayenram
Forgot the prices

Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTPL) otherwise know as the Government Compulsory.

The new rates are :

Car & 4 door pick-up 646 Baht

2 door pick-up 968 baht

Van 1,183 Baht.

This insurance can be arrange very simply over the internet by Thai Visa Insurance in the comfort of your own home.

News for Thai Visa members :

While on the subject of CTPL we at TV Insurance might as well break the news that within 6 months a new ‘law’ will be passed exempting owners who have 1st Class insurance from having to carry the CTPL.

break the news that within 6 months a new ‘law’ will be passed exempting owners who have 1st Class insurance from having to carry the CTPL.

Annoying!! bit late for me :o

Got mine yesterday from Thaipanich bank. I needed the vehicle reg docs and a copy of the GF's ID card as it is in her name.

Edited by ashacat