Thai Girls Working Abroad

julius

Soooo...

Why don't these girls band together and have these wonderful gentlemen and their fantastic offers investigated by authorities??

Isn't attempted fraud, attempted kidnapping, attempted trafficking a crime?

Shouldn't Thai police pay some of these girls to go under cover and identify the network of traffickers and have the sh!t stopped!!

Edited by Head Snake

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo... 

Why don't these girls band together and have these wonderful gentlemen and their fantastic offers investigated by authorities?? 

Isn't attempted fraud, attempted kidnapping, attempted trafficking a crime?

Shouldn't Thai police pay some of these girls to go under cover and identify the network of traffickers and have the sh!t stopped!!

Ahhh innocence... I remember it well. :o

cv

Yet you'd still let her risk being sold to a brothel.

Me? Me let her??? I think you're a bit confused about who's who in this thread.

I'm not going to "let" the girl do or not do anything, I have no attachment to this situation in any way, shape or form. I was just replying to a post.

But your comment does highlight the point I was trying to make, and that is, you don't earn a woman's respect by "LETTING" her do stuff or preventing her from doing stuff that YOU think is risky.

She's a big girl and can make those kinds of decisions on her own. What this guy needs to do is alleviate HIS concerns by finding ways to ensure her safety while she is over there.

He should talk to her about the risks and plan ways to make sure that she can contact help if necessary and return home if there is trouble.

So, NO, I do NOT support LETTING this girl RISK getting sold off to an African brothel. Anyone who's read my previous tirades on the topic of prostitution knows that I have very strong opinions about the illegal and immoral trafficking of women within the sex industry.

However, I don't see where attempting to protectively smother a woman is any better than treating her like a piece of property. Either way, you are devaluing her as an individual capable of independent decision-making. She has a RIGHT to evaluate risks on her own and decide FOR HER SELF if she is willing to take them.

This guy has every right (as someone who cares for her) to caution her and do his best to ensure her safety, but that's not what a lot of you guys are saying. You're all shouting, "Don't LET her go!" My question is, what gives YOU the right to make that decision FOR her??

"Being a real friend" doesn't mean he has to lose her respect. He can ensure her safety and alleviate his concerns without going overboard.

Like I said, if he's supportive and shows that he's going to try to help her even if he doesn't like her decision, he'll garner a lot more respect from this woman than if he tried to over-protectively shelter her from harm. Nobody wants to live in a gilded cage, even if the owner of the cage means well.

There are ways to check the legitimacy of this job offer. A little research and a few phone calls should be enough to determine whether or not it is for real or not.

That should be done first, and then a decision can be made (by HER)...

Dear Oprah,

If you read my post at all you'd see where I made it clear that it was her choice. And when I'd said "yet, you'd still let her.." I was clearly not saying that you personally were involved, only how your musings implied you'd act in the situation had it been you.

You're clearly quite innocent and inexperienced in how the world works, and the consequenses of human traffiking, so I'll spare you the blast that most would get. However I think you need to take a look around, perhaps do some more reading and travelling and you'll see that some bastards out there in the world maybe don't care about women or your politically correct way of thinking. It's odd how you think the poster should lay off and risk her life "just to be polite".

cv

This guy has every right (as someone who cares for her) to caution her and do his best to ensure her safety, but that's not what a lot of you guys are saying. You're all shouting, "Don't LET her go!" My question is, what gives YOU the right to make that decision FOR her??

Reality , gives me the right , The OP asking us a question gives me the right , common sense gives me the right . A concern for a fellow human being gives me the right . I am not making the decision for her ( I dont even know her ) I am giving an answer .

Julius how well do you know your girlfriend actually? I've been around the world a bit and most thai hookers overseas were already hookers, bg's or whatever you want to call them in Thailand itself before they ended up abroad.

Since your girlfriend will be going with ten other girls you might want to look into the background of some of those other girls because I've never met an african smart enough to lure ten "innocent" girls into prostitution at once.

That being said I would not recommend Ghana as hookers paradise. If she wants to hook abroad she would be better of in western europe or the middle-east.

Specially Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and Dubai are full of thai hookers at the moment so she would not feel alone there.

You're clearly quite innocent and inexperienced in how the world works, and the consequenses of human traffiking, so I'll spare you the blast that most would get.

Wow, gee, thanks for "sparing me". I guess tonight I should count my lucky stars and give alms to my ASDL modem. Weeeuh! Lucky for me, eh!?! I don't know if poor "innocent" little me could have handled the full brunt of your "blast" (did you mean mental fart? I think that'd have been more accurate).

However I think you need to take a look around, perhaps do some more reading and travelling and you'll see that some bastards out there in the world maybe don't care about women or your politically correct way of thinking. It's odd how you think the poster should lay off and risk her life "just to be polite".

Next time, read my post, a$$wipe.

a) I said NOTHING about "laying off and risking her life".

b ) I said NOTHING that could be construed as "politically correct". Unless you're one of those polarized pigeon-holing vaporheads who simply parrots everything your favorite idealogical pundit says, irregardless of whether or not it actually APPLIES to the current discussion. Maybe then, you might be able to gleen something "politically correct" from my post, but quite frankly, that'd be a pretty big stretch. So I must have uttered some keyword that triggered your mental knee-jerk. Maybe in the future, you'll learn how to read things in CONTEXT, rather than simply extracting a few "soundbites" that you can harp on with ready-made, canned comebacks courtesy of your favorite talking-head.

c) I said NOTHING that would indicate I was ignorant or dismissive of the risks involved in working overseas.

In other words, your comments and criticisms do not apply to my post since you obviously did not READ my post.

You are simply giving a Pavlovian response to some word or phase I used, but your replies make no sense because you've taken my comments completely out of context and replied to things I simply did not say.

Next time I suggest you use the BRAIN in between your ears to process information for you, rather than simply downloading cut-n-paste replies from whatever pre-fab political media-outlet you call home. Just because you need some pundit to turn a multi-faceted world into an easily digestible black-n-white abstraction, doesn't mean the rest of us need to be "enlightened" by your off-base diatribes.

READ THE POST, moron, otherwise take your less-than-original ventriliquist act (with you starring as the dummy) elsewhere.

Edited by Pudgimelon

Yet you'd still let her risk being sold to a brothel.

Me? Me let her??? I think you're a bit confused about who's who in this thread.

I'm not going to "let" the girl do or not do anything, I have no attachment to this situation in any way, shape or form. I was just replying to a post.

But your comment does highlight the point I was trying to make, and that is, you don't earn a woman's respect by "LETTING" her do stuff or preventing her from doing stuff that YOU think is risky.

She's a big girl and can make those kinds of decisions on her own. What this guy needs to do is alleviate HIS concerns by finding ways to ensure her safety while she is over there.

He should talk to her about the risks and plan ways to make sure that she can contact help if necessary and return home if there is trouble.

So, NO, I do NOT support LETTING this girl RISK getting sold off to an African brothel. Anyone who's read my previous tirades on the topic of prostitution knows that I have very strong opinions about the illegal and immoral trafficking of women within the sex industry.

However, I don't see where attempting to protectively smother a woman is any better than treating her like a piece of property. Either way, you are devaluing her as an individual capable of independent decision-making. She has a RIGHT to evaluate risks on her own and decide FOR HER SELF if she is willing to take them.

"Being a real friend" doesn't mean he has to lose her respect. He can ensure her safety and alleviate his concerns without going overboard.

Like I said, if he's supportive and shows that he's going to try to help her even if he doesn't like her decision, he'll garner a lot more respect from this woman than if he tried to over-protectively shelter her from harm. Nobody wants to live in a gilded cage, even if the owner of the cage means well.

There are ways to check the legitimacy of this job offer. A little research and a few phone calls should be enough to determine whether or not it is for real or not.

That should be done first, and then a decision can be made (by HER)...

The chances are, is that the young lady is naive and probably not educated close to the same standard as what we are in the west. It could be, that is she actually arrived there it would be too late. ( if this was infact a dodgy job etc.)

Respect does not come into it at all.Personally, I wouldn't give a fat monkeys bum if I lost somebodies respect, if there was any chance that they could be harmed.

As you state though, some research and a few calls could do wonders.

i use to be several times in some afican countries incl. ghana

so be carefully if you have no experience there

never go in order of someone else then yourself and be confident to about all the risk you want to go for

never be blind and always be able to escape on your own way

never trust someone who is not your family

these are prooven experience

You're clearly quite innocent and inexperienced in how the world works, and the consequenses of human traffiking, so I'll spare you the blast that most would get.

Wow, gee, thanks for "sparing me". I guess tonight I should count my lucky stars and give alms to my ASDL modem. Weeeuh! Lucky for me, eh!?! I don't know if poor "innocent" little me could have handled the full brunt of your "blast" (did you mean mental fart? I think that'd have been more accurate).

However I think you need to take a look around, perhaps do some more reading and travelling and you'll see that some bastards out there in the world maybe don't care about women or your politically correct way of thinking. It's odd how you think the poster should lay off and risk her life "just to be polite".
Next time, read my post, a$$wipe.

a) I said NOTHING about "laying off and risking her life".

b ) I said NOTHING that could be construed as "politically correct". Unless you're one of those polarized pigeon-holing vaporheads who simply parrots everything your favorite idealogical pundit says, irregardless of whether or not it actually APPLIES to the current discussion. Maybe then, you might be able to gleen something "politically correct" from my post, but quite frankly, that'd be a pretty big stretch. So I must have uttered some keyword that triggered your mental knee-jerk. Maybe in the future, you'll learn how to read things in CONTEXT, rather than simply extracting a few "soundbites" that you can harp on with ready-made, canned comebacks courtesy of your favorite talking-head.

c) I said NOTHING that would indicate I was ignorant or dismissive of the risks involved in working overseas.

In other words, your comments and criticisms do not apply to my post since you obviously did not READ my post.

You are simply giving a Pavlovian response to some word or phase I used, but your replies make no sense because you've taken my comments completely out of context and replied to things I simply did not say.

Next time I suggest you use the BRAIN in between your ears to process information for you, rather than simply downloading cut-n-paste replies from whatever pre-fab political media-outlet you call home. Just because you need some pundit to turn a multi-faceted world into an easily digestible black-n-white abstraction, doesn't mean the rest of us need to be "enlightened" by your off-base diatribes.

READ THE POST, moron, otherwise take your less-than-original ventriliquist act (with you starring as the dummy) elsewhere.

You seem more concerned with your own ego than with this girls predicament judging by your latest post.

The point most are making is that by letting her go to Africa the situation will be totally out of anyones influence or control should things turn nasty.

It is patently obvious that this is not a bona fide job offer.

Once that girl hits Ghana it is beyond anyone to help her.

Sometimes it requires courage to tell people unpleasant news and shatter dreams and illusions but it is a true friend that will stand up and tell things the way they are.

There are better options available for this girl.

i use to be several times in some afican countries incl. ghana

so be carefully if you have no experience there

never go in order of someone else then yourself and be confident to about all the risk you want to go for

never be blind  and always be able to escape on your own way

never trust someone who is not your family

these are prooven experience

I guess trusting your family is slightly ambitious in Thailand considering half the population sell their small daughters into sexual slavery for a few thousand baht.

Still no word from the Topic starter. I wonder why? Maybe his dear dear friend is on her way or maybe negotiations as to the price of stopping her are beginning.

Happy Christmas

Richard

Richard, you 'took the words out of my mouth' so to speak.

We are talking about this subject already 4 pages and no sign of Mr. JULIUS...

I too wonder why.

Don't understand why he didn't respond at all about such an important matter for the goodsake of such a good girlfriend...

Maybe he joined her to Ghana :o

LaoPo

The chances are, is that the young lady is naive and probably not educated close to the same standard as what we are in the west.

Sorry, but that's a stereotype about Thai women that I just don't buy into.

Most of the women I know have college degrees, high-paying jobs, and are VERY well-educated, intelligent and rational.

However, let's not turn this thread into yet another discussion about the idiotic stereotypes western men have about thai women.

Believe what you want to believe about Thai women and let's just leave it at that.

But from my point of view, this situation is no different than the one I faced when I came to Thailand. I came to Thailand with a promise of employment (made after an online interview), and many of my friends cautioned me not to go because (based on their un-informed stereotypes) they believed Thailand to be a "dangerous place". Now it's true I wasn't facing the possibility of being kidnapped into sex-slavery (gee, now there's a fun thought), but my prospective employer could have very easily been a "shady" place and they could have shafted me and left me in very dire financial straits.

My point is, that any time an individual (male or female) travels overseas on the promise of employment, there are a host of risks involved. Different risks, YES, but risks nonetheless.

Therefore, it is up to the individual to assess these risks and decide whether or not the rewards justify them.

How many of you have ever physically set foot IN Ghana? Anybody??

That's my point.

Rumors, stereotypes and scare-mongering news stories don't take the place of first-hand, eye-witness experience. If I had believed every goofy story people told me about Thailand, I never would have come here, because according to some people back in the States, the police here slip drugs into your pockets right after you step off the plane, just so they can arrest you and sentence you to life in prison. Yes, that's absolute horsesh!t, but that's the kind of nonsense people where telling me before I moved here.

So what do you REALLY know about Ghana, this hotel that's offering her a job, or the manager who's booking the trip?? NOTHING.

For every human-trafficking story about Ghana you find on the net, I bet you can find ten about Thailand, and yet plenty of women come here on vacation or two work and they aren't hog-tied and sold to the nearest brothel.

So in spite of all those negative articles about the sex industry in Thailand, last time I checked ajarn.com there weren't any bogus job offers by shady individuals hoping to lure young women over here so they could be gang raped and traumatized into accepting the hooker-life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing those news stories. I'm quite sure they are accurate. But just because those perils do exist doesn't negate the possibility that legitimate job offers ALSO exist.

See, unlike the black-n-white abstraction that most pundits THINK is reality, the REAL WORLD is actually a bit more complicated than that. In the real world, it is possible for opposite things to exist at the same time. In the real world, it is possible for good and evil to exist in the same place. In the real world, just because a negative thing can be true about something (like Ghana), that doesn't negate every single positive aspect of that same thing.

In other words, there may very well be a serious problem with human trafficking in Ghana, however, that does not negate the possibility that legitimate work ALSO exists in Ghana. I realize that's a difficult concept for a polarized mind to grasp, but trust me, it can happen.

The existence of the negative necessitates a cautious approach and some background research, but it should NOT require a knee-jerk dismissal of every opportunity.

Basing a decision about a job opportunity in Ghana on some stereotypes and news reports would be STUPID. Can you imagine avoiding Thailand based on some of the nonsense you see posted on these forums? Then why avoid Ghana simply because you "heard" some heresay antecdotes about "Bad Things" going on there.

It's a good opportunity for her and she should seriously look into it. If he has concerns, he should raise those concerns, and then do his best to do the research to alleviate (or confirm) those concerns.

The chances are, is that the young lady is naive and probably not educated close to the same standard as what we are in the west.

Most of the women I know have college degrees, high-paying jobs, and are VERY well-educated, intelligent and rational.

However, let's not turn this thread into yet another discussion about the idiotic stereotypes western men have about thai women.

Believe what you want to believe about Thai women and let's just leave it at that.

But from my point of view, this situation is no different than the one I faced when I came to Thailand. I came to Thailand with a promise of employment (made after an online interview), and many of my friends cautioned me not to go because (based on their un-informed stereotypes) they believed Thailand to be a "dangerous place". Now it's true I wasn't facing the possibility of being kidnapped into sex-slavery (gee, now there's a fun thought), but my prospective employer could have very easily been a "shady" place and they could have shafted me and left me in very dire financial straits.

My point is, that any time an individual (male or female) travels overseas on the promise of employment, there are a host of risks involved. Different risks, YES, but risks nonetheless.

Therefore, it is up to the individual to assess these risks and decide whether or not the rewards justify them.

That's my point.

Rumors, stereotypes and scare-mongering news stories don't take the place of first-hand, eye-witness experience. If I had believed every goofy story people told me about Thailand, I never would have come here, because according to some people back in the States, the police here slip drugs into your pockets right after you step off the plane, just so they can arrest you and sentence you to life in prison. Yes, that's absolute horsesh!t, but that's the kind of nonsense people where telling me before I moved here.

So what do you REALLY know about Ghana, this hotel that's offering her a job, or the manager who's booking the trip?? NOTHING.

For every human-trafficking story about Ghana you find on the net, I bet you can find ten about Thailand, and yet plenty of women come here on vacation or two work and they aren't hog-tied and sold to the nearest brothel.

So in spite of all those negative articles about the sex industry in Thailand, last time I checked ajarn.com there weren't any bogus job offers by shady individuals hoping to lure young women over here so they could be gang raped and traumatized into accepting the hooker-life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing those news stories. I'm quite sure they are accurate. But just because those perils do exist doesn't negate the possibility that legitimate job offers ALSO exist.

See, unlike the black-n-white abstraction that most pundits THINK is reality, the REAL WORLD is actually a bit more complicated than that. In the real world, it is possible for opposite things to exist at the same time. In the real world, it is possible for good and evil to exist in the same place. In the real world, just because a negative thing can be true about something (like Ghana), that doesn't negate every single positive aspect of that same thing.

In other words, there may very well be a serious problem with human trafficking in Ghana, however, that does not negate the possibility that legitimate work ALSO exists in Ghana. I realize that's a difficult concept for a polarized mind to grasp, but trust me, it can happen.

The existence of the negative necessitates a cautious approach and some background research, but it should NOT require a knee-jerk dismissal of every opportunity.

Basing a decision about a job opportunity in Ghana on some stereotypes and news reports would be STUPID. Can you imagine avoiding Thailand based on some of the nonsense you see posted on these forums? Then why avoid Ghana simply because you "heard" some heresay antecdotes about "Bad Things" going on there.

It's a good opportunity for her and she should seriously look into it. If he has concerns, he should raise those concerns, and then do his best to do the research to alleviate (or confirm) those concerns.

I can't believe you are still trying to justify your first post on this topic.

Ghana ......50,000 baht a month = scam.

Given that there are thousands of beautiful women in Ghana who could do the very same job for a lot less money why on earth would they want to bring someone all the way from Thailand and pay them what is a very large sum of money in Ghana for doing a job a local could do.

Mate, it doesn't add up.

Stop giving credence to something that doesn't deserve any.

I can't believe you are still trying to justify your first post on this topic.

Ghana ......50,000 baht a month = scam.

Given that there are thousands of beautiful women in Ghana who could do the very same job for a lot less money why on earth would they want to bring someone all the way from Thailand and pay them what is a very large sum of money in Ghana for doing a job a local could do.

Mate, it doesn't add up.

Stop giving credence to something that doesn't deserve any.

A. If you're quoting from a long post, there's no need to quote the ENTIRE thing. Just the part you're replying to is fine.

B. The average professional massage therapist (the REAL kind, not the sex-worker kind) charges between 250 and 500 baht per hour here in Thailand. That's about two to three times what the average Thai worker makes in a DAY. In other words, what the average worker makes in a month has absolutely NOTHING to do with a skilled professional should make providing a LUXURY service in a hotel that caters to rich tourists and richer locals.

C. Last time I was at Wat Po, I didn't see a whole lot of Ghanian women taking their massage course, so NO, a Ghanian woman could NOT easily replace a skilled professional Thai massage therapist.

Your comment: "thousands of beautiful women in Ghana" clearly shows that you are operating under the mistaken notion that all massage therapists are sex workers.

You are VERY wrong in that regard. Massage is treated as a medical discipline here in Thailand, and in fact, the Ministry of Public Health operates it's own massage clinic and school on it's campus in Nonthaburi.

These people are trained professionals with a unique skill and unique experience. They are NOT easily replaced by some "pretty girl", and therefore they would command a MUCH higher rate of pay than the average cow herder in Ghana.

Is Ghana a desperately poor country? ###### yes.

But what does that have to do with the rate of pay in a rich tourist hotel?

In case you hadn't noticed, Thailand isn't exactly leading the world in minimum wage standards, and yet there seem to be plenty of people here (both tourist and local) who can afford to drop 2000 to 3000 baht in a spa (just check the rates at any spa in the mall).

And finally,

D. Did I say this wasn't a scam?

No. I did not. I merely said that they should do some careful research into the validity of the job offer, and not simply give it a knee-jerk dismissal. I also said that the final decision should rest with her, since she's the one taking the risk.

I fail to see how you can take that as an endorsement of this job offer. It's not. I know nothing more about it than you do. But what I do know is that just because a job offer originates from Ghana does not AUTOMATICALLY mean it's a scam. It means she should be careful, that's all.

Edited by Pudgimelon

That's my point.

Mate, In the moo baan I live in, there are very few worldly thais, I guess you must knock around with the hi-so class..Your world must be different to 80% of the population.

I have had a massage by a professional massage therapist (the REAL kind, not the sex-worker kind) Cost was THB700. If you think that the lady concerned gets anywhere near that amount other than the minimum that her boss will pay,then you are sadly mistaken.

Most of your post makes you sound like a know it all, who can only relate to things from their own personal position.

There are thousands and thousands of Thai women who would jump at this opportunity and likley get themselves in the <deleted>.

AGAIN: where is JULIUS who started this topic...???

why doesn't he answer?

IF he doesn't answer, I suggest we safe our time for more important topics....

TSUNAMI waves for instance.

LaoPo

Mate, In the moo baan I live in, there are very few worldly thais, I guess you must knock around with the hi-so class..Your world must be different to 80% of the population.

Whatever part of the population I knock around with, they still live here and they are still Thai women, so your sweeping generalizations about "Thai women" don't apply to everybody, which was my point.

Not every Thai woman is "naive" and "uneducated", so you shouldn't make that assumption. Period.

I have had a massage by a professional massage therapist (the REAL kind, not the sex-worker kind) Cost was THB700. If you think that the lady concerned gets anywhere near that amount other than the minimum that her boss will pay,then you are sadly mistaken.
Whatever she makes for her salary here is irrelevent, because that's got nothing to do with the point I was making. What I was saying is that people are willing to PAY that amount of money, even in a country like Thailand or Ghana. If you had read my post, you'd have understood that I was replying to a specific comment that was made in another post.

The other poster had said that nobody in Ghana could afford to pay someone 50,000 baht a month, but that's just not true. Even in a place like Ghana (which, admittedly is quite poor), there are luxury hotels providing luxury services to visiting tourists and locals.

I am NOT saying that this particular job offer is legitimate. I know nothing about it, so I wouldn't make a guess about that. But what I am saying is that it COULD be legitimate.

Consider:

a) A professional Thai massage therapist is a rare thing in Ghana, therefore they'd command a higher rate of pay than, say, a goat herder.

b ) Most Thai massage therapists can make a living in Thailand, so there's really no pressing economic reason for them to leave (it's not like they can't find a job here). So that means the percentage of therapists who'd want to (and CAN) leave the country is relatively small. Making them an even rarer commodity outside Thailand.

c) In order to entice workers to come work overseas in ANY industry, companies quite often have to pay a higher rate than they would get at home. You see that with skilled technicans and tradesmen who come to Thailand to work on engineering or IT projects and get paid huge bonuses over their normal rate of pay (plus with the exchange rate, they can live like kings here). The same principle would apply in this case as well.

50,000 baht may seem like a huge salary in Ghana, but actually relative to what a therapist could make here in Thailand, it's not that much more. A good therapist in a nice spa can probably make between 20K and 30K baht a month, or more if they freelance clients or do physical therapy on-call. I actually know a few people who do this, and they make some serious money.

Again, I am NOT saying that this is a legit offer. I am merely saying that you are incorrect to knee-jerk dismiss it simply based on the fact that it originates from Ghana. A Thai massage therapist in America can make $50 to $70 an HOUR (meaning if they worked at a nice shop, they could make upwards of 400K baht a month!). That's A LOT more than the average American makes (minimum wage is around $6 an hour in most cities, less in some).

So if a therapist can make 10 times the average salary in America, it wouldn't surprise me if they could make a similar percentage-rate of pay in another country, even one as poor as Ghana.

Most of your post makes you sound like a know it all, who can only relate to things from their own personal position.

If I know more than you, that's not my fault. I make no excuses for being a genius and I don't try to hide it or apologize for being smart. If that makes you feel insecure or inadequate, that's your problem, not mine.

Whatever part of the population I knock around with, they still live here and they are still Thai women, so your sweeping generalizations about "Thai women" don't apply to everybody, which was my point.

Not every Thai woman is "naive" and "uneducated", so you shouldn't make that assumption. Period.

Whatever she makes for her salary here is irrelevent, because that's got nothing to do with the point I was making. What I was saying is that people are willing to PAY that amount of money, even in a country like Thailand or Ghana. If you had read my post, you'd have understood that I was replying to a specific comment that was made in another post.

The other poster had said that nobody in Ghana could afford to pay someone 50,000 baht a month, but that's just not true. Even in a place like Ghana (which, admittedly is quite poor), there are luxury hotels providing luxury services to visiting tourists and locals.

I am NOT saying that this particular job offer is legitimate. I know nothing about it, so I wouldn't make a guess about that. But what I am saying is that it COULD be legitimate.

Consider:

a) A professional Thai massage therapist is a rare thing in Ghana, therefore they'd command a higher rate of pay than, say, a goat herder.

b ) Most Thai massage therapists can make a living in Thailand, so there's really no pressing economic reason for them to leave (it's not like they can't find a job here). So that means the percentage of therapists who'd want to (and CAN) leave the country is relatively small. Making them an even rarer commodity outside Thailand.

c) In order to entice workers to come work overseas in ANY industry, companies quite often have to pay a higher rate than they would get at home. You see that with skilled technicans and tradesmen who come to Thailand to work on engineering or IT projects and get paid huge bonuses over their normal rate of pay (plus with the exchange rate, they can live like kings here). The same principle would apply in this case as well.

50,000 baht may seem like a huge salary in Ghana, but actually relative to what a therapist could make here in Thailand, it's not that much more. A good therapist in a nice spa can probably make between 20K and 30K baht a month, or more if they freelance clients or do physical therapy on-call. I actually know a few people who do this, and they make some serious money.

Again, I am NOT saying that this is a legit offer. I am merely saying that you are incorrect to knee-jerk dismiss it simply based on the fact that it originates from Ghana. A Thai massage therapist in America can make $50 to $70 an HOUR (meaning if they worked at a nice shop, they could make upwards of 400K baht a month!). That's A LOT more than the average American makes (minimum wage is around $6 an hour in most cities, less in some).

So if a therapist can make 10 times the average salary in America, it wouldn't surprise me if they could make a similar percentage-rate of pay in another country, even one as poor as Ghana.

If I know more than you, that's not my fault. I make no excuses for being a genius and I don't try to hide it or apologize for being smart. If that makes you feel insecure or inadequate, that's your problem, not mine.

:o:D:D

Your a very funny American.

It's a good opportunity for her and she should seriously look into it.  If he has concerns, he should raise those concerns, and then do his best to do the research to alleviate (or confirm) those concerns.

:o:D:D

Oh, that's a real pearler, it really is! So when she gets there and is then told by her employer (ho ho ho) the real terms and conditions of her employement, I take it she should cross her arms and say "I'm not going to do it and you can't make me!" :D

I have a very very dear girlfriend who has signed up to go to Ghana and work

at hotel there in their spa as a masseuse. She has gone tru courses arranged by Ministry of labour in Bangkok for the last two months to have papers to show she is qualified, and the agreement has been made tru same office.

Just to remind Pudgi of the initial post, before he dribbles another 5 pages about job opportunities for this highly experienced "professional Thai massage therapist". :D

And here Julius's last post:

I'll stop her, its good , thank you all for your contribution

Good to have a forum like this

Dagfinn

Now in Norway , but later    .........    Thailand , here we come

Let's hope he'll share the story here later. :o