Work Permit Document - Who Holds It?

Im a farang who was employed by a thai company and naturally i hold a work permit well sort of!!!! The now ex employer who has allways kept my permit in their possession still remains adiment that they have to hand it back to the thai authorities is this the case? I have been told that it is my property? IM confused big time.......

The WP is yours. But it doesn't matter, as your job has ended your WP has expired. Your WP only allows you to work for the in the WP mentioned employer, in the mentioned function at the mentioned location. When your WP expires and you find a new employer you have to file for a new WP.

Under new regulation since early this year there is no longer need to turn the WP over to the labour department. See the 2 articles here:

http://www.dejudomlaw.com/index.php?option...09&Itemid=9

Note that if you are on an extension of stay your permission to stay in Thailand ended the day your job ended. That is only if you are on an extension of stay, asked for at the immigration office in Thailand.

Im a farang who was employed by a thai company and naturally i hold a work permit well sort of!!!! The now ex employer who has allways kept my permit in their possession still remains adiment that they have to hand it back to the thai authorities is this the case? I have been told that it is my property? IM confused big time.......

While the work permit is issued in your name, more than a few employers keep it in their possession because (1) if you lose it, it's a hassle to replace and (2) they have ready access to it should the Labour Department show up for a surprise inspection. It used to be the case that your work permit had to be returned to the Labour Department when your employment ceased - as noted above, this is no longer required. As with so many things in Thailand, the technicality of who "owns" the work permit is irrelevant; your employer probably figures that as they applied for it on your behalf, they are within their rights to keep it.