Customized Suzuki Caribian In Pattaya

jeepholt

In the year 2000 what I did was found an old Suzuki Caribbean chassis (1988 model), stripped it out completely, and then:

extended the body about 12 inches

made big front and rear 5/8 th inch steel bumpers (rear with trailer hitch)

put channel iron 3/8 th inch all around it

both the above steel reinforcements are to catch Thai motorcycles! and to make it less prone to rollover.

made the front grill look like a Jeep Cherokee

made a new hood in order to accommodate the bigger engine

raised the roof (so my big head would fit inside better)

put in custom made bucket seats

put in two bucket seats behind and made them removable (wing nuts)

Put in Suzuki Vitara 1600 CC engine complete with drive train and auto transmission

that is electronic ignition and fuel injected

made big side windows

put in new air conditioner

put in another radiator for the auto transmission - air con

put in power steering

put in power brakes

customized the dash and put in a tachometer

put in customized console to accommodate auto trans

installed heavy duty suspension

put on big off road tires

mag wheels

customized 2 tone metal flake paint (about 35,000 baht worth)

installed alarm system

left in the stock front wheel lock out hubs and differential (4 wheel drive)

put in all new headliner

carpeted interior

matched seat covers with side door panels

made rear door one unit (reinforced) with spare tire mount

put in numerous extra exterior lights

That is about all I can remember about the major modifications and installations. As you can well imagine, all this didn't go without having some problems in the shake-down/snap-in period. Had no major problems with the suspension, drive train or engine. Did have some electrical problems and a bunch of minor fixes. Right now, all that I know is wrong with it is that the windshield washer reservoir is cracked and needs replaced, and I don't think I will ever be able to get the speedometer working properly with the new suspension and drive train and big wheels. After the first about 4 months with no problems I had intermittent problems with the engine stalling. The Thai mechanics messed around with it and it ran fine again for 3 months. Then it stalled again 3 times. Had different Thai mechanics work on it and so far has been running fine for the past 7 or 8 years.

Hasn't been in any accidents that would hurt the frame, only motorcycles hitting it while parked in the street. The motorcycles and riders come out much worse for the wear!

I have added up the major expenses I have spent building it, and it comes out in the region of 325,000 Baht 8 years ago. One hel_l of a lot of work went into building it, and I have tried to put the best stuff in it I could. It passes the Thai emission tests with flying colors. I have the real and proper registration books for it. The insurance for the first year cost about 16,000 baht for full insurance and with no claims has gone down to approximately 9,000 baht. The reason it was so high to begin with is because I didn't have any insurance records for the 2 years prior. The reason I put in the alarm system is because in Thailand on a 4 wheel drive vehicle without alarm system, if it is stolen the insurance company will only pay 1/2 the value. The reason it requires the emission tests annually is because the chassis (therefore the book) is listed as 1988, therefore being beyond the 7 year cutoff, regardless that the engine is brand new. I don't know if that alarm requirement still applies now?

We haven't put on very many kilometers on it at all over the years as my wife only used it for about 2 years to go on the weekly hash runs to sell hot dogs for her charity about 6 years ago. I would estimate it has probably in the range of 20,000 K on it at the max.

It has been a dependable and cheap vehicle for the past 8 years, and it is still a head turner. It still has the original lock out hubs for the 4 wheel drive, and automatic with power steering and brakes. We hardly ever use it anymore since we have to walk to far to where we have to park it since they have built buildings all around my place in the past few years and there is no parking anywhere near me anymore. :o I think we may even sell it come to think of it since we don't use it hardly at all. PM me if interested, I am located in Pattaya. I will also put this in the classified section to see if anyone may be interested. I hope these photos come out OK! I think somewhere around 140,000 baht would be a fair price? AS IS condition, make me an offer! :D

post-5485-1229780752_thumb.jpg

post-5485-1229780781_thumb.jpg

post-5485-1229780833_thumb.jpg

post-5485-1229780870_thumb.jpg

post-5485-1229780896_thumb.jpg

post-5485-1229780941_thumb.jpg

post-5485-1229780972_thumb.jpg