Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please do not eat fish & chips at Neeroys! Absolutely the worst f&c I ever had. I am sure it was microwaved. It wasn't at all crispy and tasted like soggy cardboard (the "fish" may have well have been reconstituted white paste as it was unrecognizable as fish). On top of it was a pile of freshly fried greasy batter droppings (no fish) which I think is to fool you that the fish was fried in the last century. Forget about tartar sauce (none offered), that isn't the point, the fish was a disgrace. 100 baht? It wasn't worth 10 baht. I don't know if it always that bad at Neeroys but once is enough.

Edited by Jingthing

without a dought the best in pattaya 2009 for price and value is the special in the shammrock bar soi pattaya land 2 and real chips , and fish and chips 100 baht recommended by a fisherman.

I am always confused about these pattayaland sois, is pattayaland 2 the same as soi 13/2, if so that is also soi post office?? Please help as I would like to check the place out.

Pattayaland 2 is... Pattayaland 2. Heading towards WS FROM Soi Postoffice and passing the very new 'Pattaya Walk' that leads through to 2nd Road, Pattayaland 1 is first cross street, then Pattayaland 2 is the next; these are old sois from waaaaaay back. The giveaway are the street name signs prominent on the corners of each. Dohhh!

If you find yourself in Pattayaland 3, fish and chips is not what you will get.

I've heard they prefer sausage and chips down Pattayaland 3 :o

Shennannigans offer a decent traditional 'Fish & Chips' meal. Priced at 360 baht, you are paying over the odds for an air-con and clean and peaceful environment and the free Wi-Fi well away from the 'Cheap-Charlies'. Not that I have anything against 'Cheap-Charlies', I am one myself, but I don't enjoy their company.

The chips are made of a quality potato, straight cut and hot. Salt & Malt Vinegar are available as well as HP Brown Sauce and Tomato Ketchup.

The fish arrives battered in two tubes. The fish was good quality, also served with a slice of lemon and tartre sauce.

The decorative green sprig cannot be eaten, and must be returned.

Cuttlery and crockery was clean and hygenic.

I give a solid 8/10 and salute the excellent service from the Shennannigan girls. Recommended.

Beg to differ but they are bloody awful.............tried them just after they opened (since i live just up the road ) went in 3pm omly customer (so had every chance to get it right) ..........got the special at 175 baht ( john dory?)..........anyway chips were brown on the outside but not cooked on the inside...........batter was heavy and soggy on the fish and outweighed the fish by 3 to 1.

Worse thing is, i was really hoping it would be ok , as Patters could do with a decent chippie. :D

edit...typo's

One of the big problems with sois like Khao Nio, Khao Talo etc. is that because they need every little bit of business they can muster they open all the time, even when there are no customers. Some food businesses need preparation time whilst others need a lead in time but have food which does not keep well for too long. A hard task to get right I admit. Then they have the problem of having most customers being cheap charlies or relative cheapos anyway. I know I lived there.

I wouldn't call paying 175 baht for fish and chips being a cheap charlie , if i paid 99 baht for them or 400 baht i/d still expect them to be cooked correctly.

They were prepared fresh in front of me , and thats where the problem lay..........they wanted to give a fast service but in doing so had the oil too hot .

I might give them one more go, just too see if it was teething troubles.

Update.....gave this place another go last night as the owner had been sending flyers out promoting the new lamb kebab.....................

I thought the fish and chips were bad but the kebab beats them hands down on the bad food front ...........i asked for garlic sauce and ended up with a sliced clove of garlic on top, the "meat" and i use that term loosely was more like tasteless corned beef than anything else ...cost 145 baht..............absolutely disgusting.

I only hope the owner reads this so he can sort the place out or alternatively shut the place down.

Photo below shows exactly how it was when i unwrapped it.

post-8110-1235610986_thumb.jpg

Edit..........better add this is the new fish and chip shop on Soi Khao Noi.......... :o

Edited by thaiflyer1

That Benelux Belgium place near Chiang Mais night market has really good fried fish, but the chips are very simliar to McDonalds french fries. You get a huge delicious fillet of fried white fish and a pile of french fries. It's not a cheap place to eat and drink. It's right next to the England and German restaurants. I seen nearly all older well off European tourists in my 2 visits. Robot had the strangest beer ever. It was like a chemistry science project where the glass looks like a big test tube that fits in a wooden stand as the glass is rounded on the bottom. When pouring the bottle into the test tube glass, you have to be sure not to pour these solids settled in the bottom of the beer bottle. If you do, then the funny shaped test tube glass helps to prevent drinking the nasty looking solids. Pretty strange expensive beer.

I was pleased to see that one member (Papatsorn) enjoyed the fish and chips served at Pat's Pies on Third Road. I tried it for the first time last night and was immediately taken back to Surrey (England) where I always treat my sister to a fish supper at her local "Superfish" (an upmarket local chain). Pat's Norwegian cod is the real thing and generously sized;the chips she serves are out of this world. I wish she'd tell me how to make them as the ones I do are reasonable but nowhere nearly as delicious. The fish batter was very tasty, crisp and completely ungreasy. Just to complete the picture, Pat uses real newspaper to wrap the takeaway, not appalling polystyrene boxes. Last but not least (this is beginning to sound like an ad!), she provides home made tartare sauce.

There's a rumour doing the rounds that Pat's Pies is going to be converted into a proper fish'n'chip shop. I hope this is true.

I have heard that there are a number of Fish and Chip Kiosks opening in the Pattaya Area shortly with Prices from 90 Baht

I've heard exactly the same rumours from several differnet sources

Please do not eat fish & chips at Neeroys! Absolutely the worst f&c I ever had. I am sure it was microwaved. It wasn't at all crispy and tasted like soggy cardboard (the "fish" may have well have been reconstituted white paste as it was unrecognizable as fish). On top of it was a pile of freshly fried greasy batter droppings (no fish) which I think is to fool you that the fish was fried in the last century. Forget about tartar sauce (none offered), that isn't the point, the fish was a disgrace. 100 baht? It wasn't worth 10 baht. I don't know if it always that bad at Neeroys but once is enough.

It's very hit & miss,sometimes they are excellent other times you'd think they'd been cooked in Duckhams 20/50

Do we need a Poll on this?

My comments having read through the above:-

I gave up on the Pig & Whistle - "fish" large but horrible and re concrete batter, I got the distinct impression that it was double fried, as some of the vans used to do in UK.

NeeRoys - the fish ain't good and the chips can be variable and the bright green mushy peas are more like a soup - but it serves a purpose sometimes.

Simon's - it's OK but it ought to be about 240 baht for the large (or include the free beer lol) - Simon obviously doesn't agree but I never see many customers when I drive past - it ain't that good or I'd go there every week instead of every 3 months or so. Having said all that, sadly it's about the nearest I've found to UK style.

Seaside 1 (not 2) would do a lot better with their F&C if they used a good batter instead of breadcrumbs and found some mushy peas. I like almost everything else they do there.

Butcher's Arms, Robin's Nest and a host of others are all only so so.

I'm surprised that a good UK chippy in Soi Bukaeow didn't prosper.

I'll try some of those suggested but I've come to accept that I'm not in the UK and, despite the good intentions of some Brit' owners, their Thai staff don't seem to be able/bothered to do it right. Maybe we could form a syndicate and open our own - only joking!

It actually isn't that easy to find good F&C in UK any more. Beef dripping almost vanished when we had Mad Cow Disease. There's much talk of Cod here and even Hake is mentioned, but in many serious F&C towns Haddock is the fish of choice. There are still good chippies to be found in fishy towns such as Aberdeen, Fleetwood, Grimsby, Hull and Lincolnshire/Yorkshire generally (not touristy Whitby any more) but mostly inland they're not at all what they used to be. F&C simply has to be cooked and served fresh. It's very easy to do it right, but not many do. Unfortunately most of our foreign cousins (sorry) who seem to have taken over the UK chippies don't seem to understand that and it's offered in the same way as the miriad of kebabs and burgers etc etc that they serve alongside. In other words, it's much like here.

If you're ever near Gainsboro' Lincs., find a village called Upton - sorry, drifting off ........yum yum.

The special nights include a choice of soup or salad. dessert, and bread and butter, nothing to write home about. I would prefer a larger fish portion in its stead, but not bad either.

The fish is one filet, medium sized, cooked nicely, some noticeable grease but not excessive, the batter had a good taste and was quite crispy. It is served with decent cole slaw, not peas as well as tartar sauce but the tartar sauce is not as good as Pig & Whistle (less of the pickle stuff in it). I am not sure about the vinegar they serve at Jamesons, it is out of the regular labelled bottle so I think it is not the real deal.

Their regular 'a la carte' F&C has 2 fillet of fish.

The vinegar is the real deal Sarsons vinegar that we have back in England.

Neeroys on Soi Chiapoon does an excellent english style fish & chips - 99bt... very nice.

I've had the fish and chips at Neeroys a couple of times and found the fish to be good but the batter is not crisp.

Must have been an off day for them

Neeroy's has nice crispy batter normally on their fish and they give you a pile of the batter scraps on the plate, along with the fries chips.

Two other places on Soi Chaiyapoon I would recommend for fish & chips:

-Canterbury Tales does a nice job.

-Seaside Two at the opposite end of the soi.

I just had lunch the other day at Simon's Fish & Chips, and was surprised to see that the large fish & chips with mushy peas is now B310 ... about nine US dollars(!). Quality was so-so: fish was fine, but not just the peas were mushy, the chips were as well.

I miss The Chippy that used to be around the corner inside Jomtien Complex by the Hideaway Bar.

That's a silly price for food in Pattaya IMO.

I can go out for a fish dinner here in the Midwest on a Friday night and get a salad, soup of the day, garlic bread and a huge plate of fish & chips for EIGHT DOLLARS! :D Good quality food all the way in a pleasant setting.

Considering wages, taxes, utility costs and overhead there is something wrong with that picture! :o

~WISteve

Serious???!!! That's over 6 quid.

post-35874-1230901670_thumb.jpg

This is what it costs in Peterhead at a national award-winning chippie.

Someone is taking the mickey here.

Even cheaper still here >> http://www.thinkseniors.com/mainT.htm another National Award Winner Chippie near Fleetwood, near Blackpool . I have just read this thread, eating, yes, you have guessed it !

A fish and chip tea from Seniors :D , as I am back in the UK at the moment . :D

Fish and Chips at their finest, yummy :D

Edited by TEFLMike

It actually isn't that easy to find good F&C in UK any more. Beef dripping almost vanished when we had Mad Cow Disease. There's much talk of Cod here and even Hake is mentioned, but in many serious F&C towns Haddock is the fish of choice. There are still good chippies to be found in fishy towns such as Aberdeen, Fleetwood, Grimsby, Hull and Lincolnshire/Yorkshire generally (not touristy Whitby any more) but mostly inland they're not at all what they used to be. F&C simply has to be cooked and served fresh. It's very easy to do it right, but not many do. Unfortunately most of our foreign cousins (sorry) who seem to have taken over the UK chippies don't seem to understand that and it's offered in the same way as the miriad of kebabs and burgers etc etc that they serve alongside. In other words, it's much like here.

If you're ever near Gainsboro' Lincs., find a village called Upton - sorry, drifting off ........yum yum.

Problem you have with this quote is the Fish and Chip shop of the year for the past 2 years has gone north of the border and the year before to a shop in Chatteris near Peterborough. Shop in Whitby also claimed young fish frier of the year twice in the past 3 years also.

Neeroys on Soi Chiapoon does an excellent english style fish & chips - 99bt... very nice.

I've had the fish and chips at Neeroys a couple of times and found the fish to be good but the batter is not crisp.

Must have been an off day for them

Neeroy's has nice crispy batter normally on their fish and they give you a pile of the batter scraps on the plate, along with the fries chips.

Two other places on Soi Chaiyapoon I would recommend for fish & chips:

-Canterbury Tales does a nice job.

-Seaside Two at the opposite end of the soi.

I just had lunch the other day at Simon's Fish & Chips, and was surprised to see that the large fish & chips with mushy peas is now B310 ... about nine US dollars(!). Quality was so-so: fish was fine, but not just the peas were mushy, the chips were as well.

I miss The Chippy that used to be around the corner inside Jomtien Complex by the Hideaway Bar.

That's a silly price for food in Pattaya IMO.

I can go out for a fish dinner here in the Midwest on a Friday night and get a salad, soup of the day, garlic bread and a huge plate of fish & chips for EIGHT DOLLARS! :D Good quality food all the way in a pleasant setting.

Considering wages, taxes, utility costs and overhead there is something wrong with that picture! :o

~WISteve

Serious???!!! That's over 6 quid.

post-35874-1230901670_thumb.jpg

This is what it costs in Peterhead at a national award-winning chippie.

Someone is taking the mickey here.

Even cheaper still here >> http://www.thinkseniors.com/mainT.htm another National Award Winner Chippie near Fleetwood, near Blackpool . I have just read this thread, eating, yes, you have guessed it !

A fish and chip tea from Seniors :D , as I am back in the UK at the moment . :D

Fish and Chips at their finest, yummy :D

Hey, I know that Chippy as I am from that neck of the woods also... The Cottage is good as well...

My favourite for Fish & chips in Pattaya is Neeroys - Yummy....... Well worth 99bt, nice clean restaurent, nice staff.

Cant understand why some places dont use Halibut.We buy this fresh and filleted every week and i realy enjoy it with chips and peas,and my lady does a great batter too.I think the Halibut is about 120 baht a kilo,so how can some of these places justify 240 baht

This wa ssupposed to be Fish and Chips from The Great british Fish and Chip Shop in Khao Noi Pattaya.

Cod and Chips 200+ Baht and Raw inside and the Outside colour you can see for yourself.

Thats exactly what i got on my first visit........disgusting

Only wish someone could put the boss onto this thread so he could see for himself whats getting served up as i've never seen him i there when i pass by each day

It actually isn't that easy to find good F&C in UK any more. near Gainsboro' Lincs., find a village called Upton - sorry, drifting off ........yum yum.

Problem you have with this quote is the Fish and Chip shop of the year for the past 2 years has gone north of the border and the year before to a shop in Chatteris near Peterborough. Shop in Whitby also claimed young fish frier of the year twice in the past 3 years also.

I guess you have to be in it to win it. Anyway, as I said....... "drifting off".

Meanwhile, back in Pattaya, I went to try the 18 wotsits last Friday but, as I was being seated I was redirected by an English guy to the Bowling Green in Soi Excite (?). I think it was 240 baht? The fish was very good (not cod) but a meatier fillet would have been better. The chips and mushy peas were about the best I've had here. Try it.

Point about Neeroy's - I have tried various dishes in there, including F&C. Nothing was of a standard that I would accept anywhere.

Each time I comment on curries / F&C / basic Brit grub to any of my acquantancies that eat there, I am told "Oh, that's not their best dish - you should try so-and-so" So I do - and it's the same crap under a different label.

I will never eat there again - even for a freebie!

Point about Neeroy's - I have tried various dishes in there, including F&C. Nothing was of a standard that I would accept anywhere.

Each time I comment on curries / F&C / basic Brit grub to any of my acquantancies that eat there, I am told "Oh, that's not their best dish - you should try so-and-so" So I do - and it's the same crap under a different label.

I will never eat there again - even for a freebie!

Oh I so agree with you, it is remarkably awful in ever respect, but they did have good chips one time I ordered them (next time, disgusting).

Meanwhile, back in Pattaya, I went to try the 18 wotsits last Friday but, as I was being seated I was redirected by an English guy to the Bowling Green in Soi Excite (?). I think it was 240 baht? The fish was very good (not cod) but a meatier fillet would have been better. The chips and mushy peas were about the best I've had here. Try it.

I dont know 18 Wotsits bar but I will try the Bowling Green's fish and chips, so non-members are allowed to enter the forbidding gates of this establishment on Soi Drarin?

Absolutely, this place no longer has a member only exclusivity.

Where exactly is this place? Never heard of it.

It is on Soi Drarin (Soi Xzyte) about 285 yards from the intersection of Soi Chayapooun and Soi Buckhoew. You can't miss it because you will see the bowling green from the road. Holds a Tuesday night quiz night and daytime beers are 50 baht.

Non-members admitted........

That's it! Pattaya's last bastion of fair food and decent beer prices will now be overrun with out of work balloon-chasers, buffet rapists, beer nursers and the other low-income types that washed up on the beach. I hope at least they kept the dress rules when they unwisely decided to open the doors to the great unwashed.