Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

Gooses most def better than Trop-berts.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...IdArticle=21633

Just wanted to cast my vote in support of the high quality of fish & chips at Gooses.

Easy to find thanks to TV.com - plum between Soi 8 and Soi 7 on Second Road.

I was impressed by the overall standard of the place and the service was both pleasant and efficient. Despite being busy the food was served in good time.

I have to say that the beer batter was the best I have tasted in Thailand (and better than many in the UK).

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UK? Island off Europe? Try Tasmania. Best IMO. Has an Island nearby called Australia.

Is this a Pattaya fish & chip thread or a geography lesson :)

Please accept my apology Chaimai. Just discovered how good Chilli vodka is for a Bloody Mary and one too many mate. Bit of a newbie. Didn't mean to offend. Sorry again.

Andrew :D

UK? Island off Europe? Try Tasmania. Best IMO. Has an Island nearby called Australia.

Please accept my apology Chaimai. Just discovered how good Chilli vodka is for a Bloody Mary and one too many mate. Bit of a newbie. Didn't mean to offend. Sorry again.

No offence taken Andrew.

I think I may try one of those chilli vodkas :D

Think I best sit on the sidelines a bit more and barr myself after my second drink. Feel bad. Sorry again. Went overboard.

Think I best sit on the sidelines a bit more and barr myself after my second drink. Feel bad. Sorry again. Went overboard.

No way ! There are no breathalyzer tests for posting on internet forums - although I do like the poster who has the footnote:-

"Note to self - do not post when under the influence of alcohol."

At least you now know where to get good fish & chips when in Pattaya - maybe accompanied by a Bloody Mary :D

Edited by Chaimai

Dear Members,

I tried 'The Village Chippy' today. Located in 'The Village' (funniliy enough), on 3rd Road Pattaya. Turn into the Village and its about 20 metres down on the right hand side. It's been open since 9th April 2010 apparently. Its geared up for take aways rather than the sit in crowd although there are a couple of tables outside. Here's some pics, the menu etc., sorry for reduced quality of photos, taken with mobile phone. For what its worth I really enjoyed it and the prices are alot cheaper than other places I tried.

Hope that this is info is of use to you in one way or another. Happy eating.

post-30245-1273049858_thumb.jpg

post-30245-1273049905_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rimmer
Menue edited out by RIMMER

Personally I've always thought it's a crime to be shipping food half way round the world when there's perfectly good local alternatives. Nobody in Pattaya needs North Atlantic cod or haddock that badly.

How many of you know that there are seafood producers in Scotland who freeze North Sea prawns and ship them round to Thailand. Here they are hand shelled by migrant workers from Burma and Cambodia working for slave wages before being made into scampi. They then get shipped back to Europe on one of those container ships you see going past in the bay. The difference in labour costs and the relatively low cost of shipping makes this commercially viable. But it's hardly a desirable state of affairs, is it?

Personally I've always thought it's a crime to be shipping food half way round the world when there's perfectly good local alternatives. Nobody in Pattaya needs North Atlantic cod or haddock that badly.

How many of you know that there are seafood producers in Scotland who freeze North Sea prawns and ship them round to Thailand. Here they are hand shelled by migrant workers from Burma and Cambodia working for slave wages before being made into scampi. They then get shipped back to Europe on one of those container ships you see going past in the bay. The difference in labour costs and the relatively low cost of shipping makes this commercially viable. But it's hardly a desirable state of affairs, is it?

Just eat and be happy.

Agree in part to your post

yes, they have been shipping prawns to thailand for at least a couple years and not just for scampi, also returned and sold as peeled prawns, but if there is north sea caught fish such as haddock or cod available here then why not eat them if we enjoy, after all its the UK fishermen who work hard in the north sea to catch them that are suffering financially and I for one am delighted that those fish are being marketed in various parts of the world.....

back to oringinal posting

and to SYD,,,, yes mate, have tried some of the other recomended resteraunts goose etc since my earlier post... and yes all better than simon's ,,, eating humble pie now ,,, hehehehe

I don't understand why anyone who isn't badly constipated would eat Grape nuts - let alone pay extra for them. :)

Maybe Fish and Chips is doing that to your digestive System?

I don't eat them much. Maybe they have done something to your reading comprehension level. :D

I don't understand why anyone who isn't badly constipated would eat Grape nuts - let alone pay extra for them. :)

Maybe Fish and Chips is doing that to your digestive System?

I don't eat them much. Maybe they have done something to your reading comprehension level. :D

I blame the Australians for that, thats where I learned my English :D otherwise its the fault of the Caddie Shack as I do eat there Fish and Chips from time to time, big portion and very tasty. :D

I know I can't live without my Grape Nuts.

What are the symptoms of Grape Nut deprivation?

I know I can't live without my Grape Nuts.

What are the symptoms of Grape Nut deprivation?

I hear one symptom is uncontrollable double posting. :)

Truly shocking! We are on the case. Fish and Chips fans, please report your experiences about the so called "free" bread with the F&C at Mooses. This could be the beginning of another notorious fish and chip restaurant caper, perhaps rivaling the infamous Simon's "free beer coupon no good" incident!

How about the "You must have ice in your coke in the Emporium" and "McDonalds 7 baht ice cream cone with no ice cream at the bottom of the cone" incidents? - more crimes against expats! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Sorry to derail the hijack of this thread, but there's a new Fish and Chip shop in The Village on Third Road. I haven't tried it yet, but heard from a Brit friend that it is good.

I have had good reports but also can not comment yet, as I haven't tried however prices do look cheaper than anywhere else.

Sorry to derail the hijack of this thread, but there's a new Fish and Chip shop in The Village on Third Road. I haven't tried it yet, but heard from a Brit friend that it is good.

I have had good reports but also can not comment yet, as I haven't tried however prices do look cheaper than anywhere else.

Can you give more precise directions? Not familiar with The Village.

Update on Goose's. They changed their menu a bit. Now two choices for local fish and a slightly higher price for the local parrot fish, up to 225. One nit on Goose's. I have found their fish portions kind of small compared to other places, but have only tried the local fishes.

Update on Goose's. They changed their menu a bit. Now two choices for local fish and a slightly higher price for the local parrot fish, up to 225. One nit on Goose's. I have found their fish portions kind of small compared to other places, but have only tried the local fishes.

Jing

Go north up third road from the Pattaya Tai lights "The Village" is on your left and the Fire Station is on your right (New Hospital behind fire station) approx 600m The shop is about 20m inside the gate, it is really intended as a take away from what I can see with a couple of small tables outside.

Jing

Go north up third road from the Pattaya Tai lights "The Village" is on your left and the Fire Station is on your right (New Hospital behind fire station) approx 600m The shop is about 20m inside the gate, it is really intended as a take away from what I can see with a couple of small tables outside.

Edited by me If heading North the Fire Station is on your left "The Village" on your right.