Best And Cheapest Way To Do A Flight Back Into The Country

Okay, if any one could tell me if I am right and this is the way to go or point out any pitfalls I would be grateful. I have read a bunch of threads don't see this covered.

I need to go either to Phonm Phen or Laos to get a 1 month stamp in my passport. I won't have the money to do it before the 30th and will have overstay from the 24th. I need the stamp as my new job needs the 21 days to do my non-b. I just did a run for the 15 day stamp earlier this month and it ends the 24th (which was no good for the place I am working as it is not good, long enough). So my questions are these.

I go out the 31st in a plane and come right back later that day to get my 30 day stamp, is that possible? I only feel safe (if I am in a bus we might have a hwy check before I leave so I don't want that) and that it seems the quickest way. I would like to do this the cheapest way possible but can't just leave earlier or order a ticket before as I just started the job a few weeks ago and had a couple months off after my last gig (so funds are very low). Is my bank balance in any way an issue with this route? I am wondering if I can do this at the two airports? and if holidays are going to be an issue, as well?

All (non judgemental) advice welcome and thanks in advance

Edited by Bowery99

The best way would of been to of gone to a consualte and gotten a tourist visa.

It still would be cheaper to do it instead of flying out and back just to get the 21 days. A trip to Vientiane ts not that expensive if you go by train or bus. The consulate will be open every day this coming week (no xmas closure)

The six days of overstay will cost you 3000 baht.

Edit: For cheapest flights check airasia.com to KL or Penang. The last time I checked it was about 4500 baht round trip to KL.

You can fly out and come back the same day no problem.

No money requirements.

Edited by ubonjoe

It still would be cheaper to do it instead of flying out and back just to get the 21 days. A trip to Vientiane ts not that expensive if you go by train or bus. The consulate will be open every day this coming week (no xmas closeure)

Edit: For cheapest flights check airasia.com to KL or Penang.

Hi thanks for your reply,

I understand that I could have gone to a consualte but at the time thought I would be able to extend for a week in BKK which seemed to be a cheaper option. They couldn't answer my question when I called and the job didn't know either, so I took the chance. Is was a brand new rule that week, :D I was hoping for the best. :o

So, Cambioda is not an option? I was hoping I could fly in get my visa and fly out like at the boarder, and get my stamp at the airport here.

Isn't it a bit risky to go out on a bus? What if the bus is stopped on the hwy to check IDs and passports (I have been on a bus where this happened before)? I never took a train here, does that happen to them as well?

It still would be cheaper to do it instead of flying out and back just to get the 21 days. A trip to Vientiane ts not that expensive if you go by train or bus. The consulate will be open every day this coming week (no xmas closeure)

Edit: For cheapest flights check airasia.com to KL or Penang.

Hi thanks for your reply,

I understand that I could have gone to a consualte but at the time thought I would be able to extend for a week in BKK which seemed to be a cheaper option. They couldn't answer my question when I called and the job didn't know either, so I took the chance. Is was a brand new rule that week, :D I was hoping for the best. :o

So, Cambioda is not an option? I was hoping I could fly in get my visa and fly out like at the boarder, and get my stamp at the airport here.

Isn't it a bit risky to go out on a bus? What if the bus is stopped on the hwy to check IDs and passports (I have been on a bus where this happened before)? I never took a train here, does that happen to them as well?

Thanks you are editing as I write :D , so I assume in KL I can do it in the airport?

For the visa run to Vientiane I meant it to be before or on the 24th for entry to Laos.

You can fly to anywhere you want and do the same day return. I think you will find the flights are cheaper to KL.

If you have a ticket out you can get an extension at immigration for 7 days for 1900 baht. That would be cheaper than the overstay.

Edit: Yes you will get a 30 day exempt entry when your return to Bangkok. Also when you enter Malaysia you don't have to pay for a visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

I wasn't able to leave on the 24th as I was hoping and now have to wait until the 31st, so now I have some more questions:

Where do I pay my overstay fee when flying out of here? At the airport I would suppose, no?

I can do a run to Cambodia the only problem I can see is it is the same plane and so leaves 35 minutes later. Will it be possiable? will I have to get a Cambiodian in/out stamp still (and pay the 1200 baht)? those flights are around 5000 baht, so that would be 6200 plus taxis but good timing in that it would be quick.

The KL option (which seems better) is to go and come back is about 5000baht as well, there is quite a bit of time between flights and according to what was told to me in this thread eariler I won't need a visa to say I was there. Question; do they stamp my passport? The plane comes in about half and hour before new years will Thai immigration be open? Will they ask if I have a ticket out?

Are you absolutely sure that you don't pay for a visa or stamp in KL?

Is there any other dicount airlines that does this rather than air asia?

:o

This is all such a hassle just to get the stamp because they arbitrally changed a rule and I had bad timing getting a new job.

I wasn't able to leave on the 24th as I was hoping and now have to wait until the 31st, so now I have some more questions:

Where do I pay my overstay fee when flying out of here? At the airport I would suppose, no?

I can do a run to Cambodia the only problem I can see is it is the same plane and so leaves 35 minutes later. Will it be possiable? will I have to get a Cambiodian in/out stamp still (and pay the 1200 baht)? those flights are around 5000 baht, so that would be 6200 plus taxis but good timing in that it would be quick.

The KL option (which seems better) is to go and come back is about 5000baht as well, there is quite a bit of time between flights and according to what was told to me in this thread eariler I won't need a visa to say I was there. Question; do they stamp my passport? The plane comes in about half and hour before new years will Thai immigration be open? Will they ask if I have a ticket out?

Are you absolutely sure that you don't pay for a visa or stamp in KL?

Is there any other dicount airlines that does this rather than air asia?

:o

This is all such a hassle just to get the stamp because they arbitrally changed a rule and I had bad timing getting a new job.

I suggest you go to immigration today with your ticket out of the country pay 1 day overstay (500 baht per day) and get a 7 day extension (1900 baht).

You can wait and pay it at the airport but that would cost you about 3500 baht.

When you enter Malaysia it the same as here you enter and they give you a permit to stay without paying for a visa. You will still get the entry stamps. Have you checked airasia.com for flights. A travel agent might give you wrong info. I checked before and with their flight schedule it was possible to leave at 7 in the morning and be back before 3 in the afternoon.

Airport immigration will be open on new years eve they never close.

The airlines will be the ones looking for you to have a flight out of the country. Immigration seldom if ever asks.

If you go to Cambodia you will have to get a visa on entry and be stamped into the country and out again.

When entering Malaysia you get a 60 day Visa Exempt stamp. I just looked at Airasia ,there are plenty of flights but the morning ones are a lot more expensive. The cheapest option comes out at 6,338 Baht leaving BBK at 15.10

Hmmmm I guess I am a sad case..............at this point in time.

thank you guys, I don't have the cash on hand to do this now (get paid the 30th) so I have to wait (I already got a cash advance this month, to pay rent and for eating money and taxies/of other forms transportation to get to work, plus I borrowed so I am totally tapped out. I was unemployed for 2 and a half months, so getting the job in the first place I knew I would be tight). I saw the prices on flights as well on air asia, later in the day is much cheaper at this point. I am hoping by the time I have to buy the ticket it is not so high I can not afford it. :D I am getting sick of living in panic mode and being THIS poor! My credit card is tapped as well..............

I also have to move at the beginning of the month so I am not paying so much to transport myself and will have a bit cheaper rent. :o

Edited by Bowery99

When entering Malaysia you get a 60 day Visa Exempt stamp. I just looked at Airasia ,there are plenty of flights but the morning ones are a lot more expensive. The cheapest option comes out at 6,338 Baht leaving BBK at 15.10

Hmmmm I guess I am a sad case..............at this point in time.

thank you guys, I don't have the cash on hand to do this now (get paid the 30th) so I have to wait (I already got a cash advance this month, to pay rent and for eating money and taxies/of other forms transportation to get to work, plus I borrowed so I am totally tapped out. I was unemployed for 2 and a half months, so getting the job in the first place I knew I would be tight). I saw the prices on flights as well on air asia, later in the day is much cheaper at this point. I am hoping by the time I have to buy the ticket it is not so high I can not afford it. :D I am getting sick of living in panic mode and being THIS poor! My credit card is tapped as well..............

I also have to move at the begging of the months I am not paying so much to transport myself. :o

Whatever. You have to do something NOW. Get the bus to Vientienne or Penang and get a Visa.

You are leaving it a bit late as everything will be closed for the New Year. Also transportation will be full with Thai,s returning home.

Edit: For cheapest flights check airasia.com to KL or Penang. The last time I checked it was about 4500 baht round trip to KL.

You can fly out and come back the same day no problem.

No money requirements.

These flights originate in Bangkok and do a pretty quick turn around in Malaysia,

45 minutes in Penang.

You may be hard pushed to get off the plane, through Immigration to check in again

for the return flight. You may find the check in is already closed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have flown to Kuala Lumpur with Air Asia twice within a day for around 3500 Baht total cost (you need to be organised and book in advance). Don't risk the same plane, just wait 3 hours for the next one.

I think you could do it even cheaper by just turning up at the airport one morning if you are happy to waste the whole day. They probably sell last minute single tickets for 1000B or less. Other destinations with Air Asia are also possible.

I think a lot of people in Bangkok without visas will prefer these options now in order to get a 30 day stamp as opposed to doing a border run to Cambodia by bus every 15 days (every month = 2 days wasted and total cost around 3500 Baht :o )

The plane is looking like a no-brainer...